How 'industrial' Greater Noida became residential
25 JUL, 2011, 04.27PM IST, The Economic Times

How 'industrial' Greater Noida became residential - The Economic Times

GREATER NOIDA: It was set up by theUttar Pradesh government to promote industrial development in this region, but the last company to be set up under theGreater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA) was in 1998. Since then there have been more residential complexes coming up in what should have an industrial zone.

The Greater Noida region in Uttar Pradesh's Gautambudh Nagar district is dominating news space these days due to the number of land acquisition deals being struck down by both the Allahabad High Court and the Supreme Court. The courts said the GNIDA, set up in the 1990s, showed undue haste in taking over land, ostensibly to set up industries. However, the land was sold to private builders at much high rates.

"We had stated this fact in a meeting with the chief secretary last year. This is the eleventh year in a row that no big unit has been set up here," Association of Greater Noida Industries (AGNI) vice-president Aditya Ghildiyal told IANS.

Moser Baer was the last company to be set up here around 1998. Prior to it, Honda Siel and LG opened their plants. Denso, Asian Paints, Daewoo and Yamaha are some of the major units operating in the area.

"Greater Noida was supposed to have 75 percent industries and 25 percent houses for providing accommodation to the workers. But now the trend is reversed. There are even less than 25 percent industries and more than 75 percent multi-storey residential complexes," he said.

"On our persuasion, a French MNC giant had agreed to set up a plant here. We kept asking for time from the chairman of the authority, but he never gave us an appointment," Ghildiyal said.

Asked about the lack of industries, GNIDA's chief executive officer (CEO) Rama Raman told IANS: "You will appreciate that the whole world is under economic and industrial recession. How can industrial acceleration be achieved?"

Perhaps aware of the lack of industrial development, the state government formed another agency, the Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority. But experts say the remedy is worse than the disease.

"If industries are not coming to Greater Noida, who would go to the Yamuna Expressway area, which is 15 km away from here? They should have first developed Greater Noida itself," a senior office bearer of AGNI said, requesting anonymity.

Besides manufacturing units, even knowledge-based companies are reluctant to set up shop in Greater Noida.

In a sign of lack of confidence in officialdom, Wipro and a couple of other units stopped work on developing their facilities.
Read more
10 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • This is a great news. I take this very positively.

GN is a well planned and well managed self sufficient city. What it lacks desperately is JOBS. We discussed this many a times.

GN will never take off unless there are sufficient JOBS. EWay is one hope but EWay will not be enough for entire GN. When I said JOBS, I meant much more than IT/BPO jobs. IT/BPO craze will fizz out in next 10 years, we need traditional sectors such as manufacturing, auto for a stable base and then the new sectors... the SERVICE sector.

I hope this news will turn focus of GNA to the long term gain..... rather than short term gain like selling to builder and make money. These short term things will eventually finish one day..... and before it finish, GNA must change gear to long term future. Singapore already did it... Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bandar Seri... all are trying to focus on long term.

GNA has a clean slate to start... only thing missing is a strong WILL
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ondabhai
    This is a great news. I take this very positively.

GN is a well planned and well managed self sufficient city. What it lacks desperately is JOBS. We discussed this many a times.

GN will never take off unless there are sufficient JOBS. EWay is one hope but EWay will not be enough for entire GN. When I said JOBS, I meant much more than IT/BPO jobs. IT/BPO craze will fizz out in next 10 years, we need traditional sectors such as manufacturing, auto for a stable base and then the new sectors... the SERVICE sector.

I hope this news will turn focus of GNA to the long term gain..... rather than short term gain like selling to builder and make money. These short term things will eventually finish one day..... and before it finish, GNA must change gear to long term future. Singapore already did it... Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bandar Seri... all are trying to focus on long term.

You are right, most of the person of this forum think jobs means IT/BPO and nothing else, actually jobs must be distributed in every fields for making any area jobs hub. Such more articles may force GN / NA to create more actual industries (not just few IT offices) and make this areas a real hub of jobs, I think if there are 25 Lac public living then there should be around 6-7 Lac jobs distributed in every fields. I mostly see that whenever any article which little bit indicate any problem of NA / GN or something like that member criticizing that article rather then taking that positively.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ondabhai
    This is a great news. I take this very positively.

Care to explain this line please?
    "IT/BPO craze will fizz out in next 10 years"
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gaurav_sri
    Care to explain this line please?
    "IT/BPO craze will fizz out in next 10 years"

This is an irrelevant question for this topic that I thought to ignore... but again ..

IT/BPO will no longer be the preferred choice, it will be just another profession. It had already degraded to commodity level in South and NCR will follow soon. It will see it's worst time the moment US/EU finds a CHEAPER destination.... they are already in the process and big Indian companies are also part of that. All goes where money is.

Already it is definitely no more the highly paid sector, when you compare the number of hours you put in.

Those who never looked beyond IT, let me tell you .. starting BASE salary of an Engineering college professor is 38K per month with 4 months paid holidays along with rest of the holidays. Work starts when YOUR first class starts and work finishes when your last class is over. The common one manage to get 1 or 2 onsite in a year and the clever one few more.

Anyway, this is not a discussion of IT vs non IT, we are talking about creating JOBS for everyone in GN.
    CommentQuote
  • Can you mention some of the so called cheaper destinations, where the jobs will go. And this is important, since the demand for real estate will drop here and will go to that destination. We all are here because of our jobs, else who would like to leave the comfort of a big house with roof/garden, a big aangan and all the family members togather.

Anyways, let us know those so called "Cheap Destination". Perhaps its the right time to invest in real estate there :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ashar_amu
    Can you mention some of the so called cheaper destinations, where the jobs will go. And this is important, since the demand for real estate will drop here and will go to that destination. We all are here because of our jobs, else who would like to leave the comfort of a big house with roof/garden, a big aangan and all the family members togather.

Anyways, let us know those so called "Cheap Destination". Perhaps its the right time to invest in real estate there :)

#1 is China (don't bring that old English quality story once again)
    Followed by Latin America, Eastern Europe, Vietnam, Philippines ... and who knows, day after tomorrow it will be Africa!!
    CommentQuote
  • ok, Lets take you number one destination, China.
    Take my words, no one is going to China to set up business. Do you have any idea of the political issues in China. have you ever thought why you do not hear much about China on the news channels, or why Google has a presence in the entire world except China.
    Speaking english has never been an issue. Consider this, will an CEO of any company like to work under some political leader. I don't think so that the CEO of IBM would like to report to a Neta over there.

I also thought that one day all the business will be going to China, unless a met a chinese citizen and my thought changed.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ashar_amu
    ok, Lets take you number one destination, China.
    Take my words, no one is going to China to set up business. Do you have any idea of the political issues in China. have you ever thought why you do not hear much about China on the news channels, or why Google has a presence in the entire world except China.
    Speaking english has never been an issue. Consider this, will an CEO of any company like to work under some political leader. I don't think so that the CEO of IBM would like to report to a Neta over there.

I also thought that one day all the business will be going to China, unless a met a chinese citizen and my thought changed.

I am amazed by your great ignorance about China.

China is #2 economy at the moment, ahead of UK, Germany, Australia and Japan!!. Most of the major MNCs are present in China.

China does not require a GOOGLE as they have their Baidu (never mind you never heard of it).

CEO looks only for market (money) .. and very well knows how to handle different things. Doing business in China is easier than India.. Once you satisfy the local agency, done... nothing can stop you.... think of NE development in that context and understand doing business in India or Pakistan.

It is unfortunate that you met a wrong Chinese guy and you developed your views ... I meet more than a thousand Chinese businessmen in a month!!
    CommentQuote
  • Discussion has been diverted, no need of China or other countries. Simply GN / Noida must have to increase industries a lot for further jobs (same like GGN , Manesar , Bhiwari...) or at least start METRO asap in GN so that person from GN can manage lots of jobs of GGN , CP , Papargang , India Gate........... ... easily.

As for IT this is true that now lots of other cheap options also emerging very rapidly all around the world even in USA lots of person have starting freelancing IT jobs at lower price (at just 40-60 $ / hour) , If we will not increase other traditional jobs markets then it is only harmful. I am not doing any job in IT, I am doing my own outsourcing business from last 10 years in IT from my UK / USA clients hence internally know it very well that after 10 years situation of IT/BPO may not be as good as now for JOB POV.

Just because of more than 14,000 small-scale industrial units running in Ghaziabad, 5 years before in year 2006 Worlds Top Most News Magazine Newsweek (USA) keep GZB in Ten Most Dynamic Cities of World, GZB at No. 6. Read below...

https://www.indianrealestateforum.com/forum/city-forums/ncr-real-estate/ghaziabad-real-estate/17168-ten-most-dynamic-cities-of-world-gzb-at-no-6-newsweek-usa?t=19377

Greater Noida have more potential then any other NCR city then why not next industrial boom along with IT in GN, what is the harm it it. We should take anything positive not negative.
    CommentQuote
  • I have very well heard of Baidu. And its one of the company who have grown maximum in terms of total revenue. And i never doubt it that Chinese are real hard worker and they have their presence almost everywhere.
    But, business like making of goods which are cheap, getting cheap labour, making a guy work for 20 hours and paying them a paltry sum, I am not talking about all these. You yourself said that English speaking is not an issue, so then any thoughts why all the work is not already moving there. Specially when the people are hard working there and they have knowledge too.
    Trust me, its not an easy country to set up outsourcing business there, especially with all the financial obligations and political intervention.

Anyways, thats not a matter to discuss here. And even if that happens someday, we wont be able to do much in that case. All we can do is, pray even if it happens, the late the better.

Well, seems like the buyers have a little reprieve now, with HC saying the farmers and the authority to resolve the issue among themself first. Lets hope they do
    CommentQuote