The millennium city just got a lot bigger. It will now stretch all the way to, and include, Manesar.

What started off as a suburb across Delhi's southern borders has become a city in itself, with the 1971 population of 57,000 now touching 22 lakh and set to increase to 37 lakh by 2021.

Gurgaon's new Master Plan, notified on February 5 (a gazetted copy of which is with TOI), makes it clear that the city's construction boom is only likely to become more frenetic.

With the private-government partnership development model for the residential sector of 'New Gurgaon', private players will have a large role to play as Gurgaon grows even more rapidly than at present.

Besides a lion's share in the residential sector, private players will be permitted to develop 50% of area marked for commercial sectors.

The development plan is for a total of 37,069 hectares against the 9,881-hectares target of the 2001 plan. This includes special economic zones of 4,570 hectares and existing towns and villages in the region.

While the plan looks to focus on residential development - read more and more highrises - it also earmarks 5,441 hectares for industrial and commercial development. The inclusion of Manesar and its industrial environs is an indication of this.

There is news for Gurgaon residents who have begun to despair of connectivity with Delhi. Two 90-metre-wide link roads have been planned.

One is from Vasant Kunj to Mehrauli Road and Gurgaon, the other between Andheria Mor and Faridabad road through Mandi and Gwal Pahari.

Another 150-metre-wide link road has been proposed from Dwarka to Palam Vihar. An additional corridor along the 150-metre northern link to Delhi extending from Dwarka has been proposed in the final development plan 2021 while a similar MRTS will come up along Mehrauli road up to the proposed inter state bus terminal at Kherki Dhaula.

This will be extended to Manesar. A 150-metre road would be constructed along the NH 8, or Delhi-Jaipur highway, which will ensure that traffic entering Gurgaon flows smoothly.

This is essential if traffic which gets off the highway and moves in and out of Udyog Vihar and Cybergreens is not to be choked.

To cater to a projected population of 37 lakh, 14,930 hectares have been marked for residential purposes. Some 8,000 hectares have already been developed by Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) and private developers and this is expected to accommodate some 20 lakh people. The additional 6,930 hectares would accommodate 15 lakh people by 2021.

The city's future would seem to be set in glass and concrete as is already visible in the case of New Gurgaon. There will be an explosion of malls and corporate parks.

"The new commercial areas will be in the form of big malls and corporate commercial complexes. In addition, commercial belts with the width of 200 metres have also been provided along the selected roads to cater to the needs of the surrounding areas,"states the gazette notification.
Read more
79 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • survey

Gurgaon quality of life survey: Metro mellows the mood

TNN, Sep 14, 2010, 12.39am IST

GURGAON: The BPO and auto hub of the north, Gurgaon has a large young, working population which feeds the IT and car industries in the region. The boom in employment opportunities has been accompanied by an expansion in housing and services as well. But the strain of managing a rapidly growing population is now beginning to tell on the satellite city. To gauge its impact on residents, TOI undertook a comprehensive study.

The idea was to measure perceptions about quality of life on diverse aspects such as road conditions, state of healthcare, crime levels and educational opportunities. Do you feel safe in Gurgaon? Do you find the water supply adequate? Do you think the Metro will speed up travel? A leading market survey agency was commissioned to fan out across the city and assess perceptions on several such parameters.

The survey has thrown up some unexpected findings, indicating a mixed assessment of living/travelling conditions by various groups. For ease of reference, results have been broadly classified into three categories - infrastructure, education and healthcare, law-and-order and administration. They will be presented as a three-part series starting today.

To begin with, infrastructure-related queries have evoked conflicting reactions. The newer areas, many of which are privately managed, though regarded as the most upscale neighbourhoods in Gurgaon, recorded high levels of dissatisfaction over road conditions, cleanliness and the general standard of amenities. On the other hand, residents in the more settled parts such as Sectors 14, 15, 30 and 31 in Central Gurgaon were largely content with the quality of utility services.

More specifically, residents in the newer blocks were "extremely unhappy" with the local administration's handling of civic issues, with nearly 80% of respondents from DLF phase 1-4 and Sectors 55-58 saying they were "not at all" satisfied with the quality of local governance.

Behind the gloss of swanky highrises and opulent bungalows, gated communities in these areas are seething over deterioration of utility services such as water and electricity. Up to two-thirds of DLF denizens said the demand-supply gap on electricity was as wide as ever. Many apartment complexes indicated heavy reliance on their back-up generators, which in turn adds to maintenance costs. More than half of those interviewed said they were "not at all" satisfied with the piped water supply. In comparison, water and power supply were a problem for barely one-fifth of Central Gurgaon residents.

An overwhelming 95% of residents across DLF phases I-IV and 80% of those living in Sectors 55-58 also gave a thumbs-down to the roads that criss-cross their parts of the city. But this was a concern shared by many of their neighbours in Central Gurgaon as well: upto 65% of them said they were "not at all" satisfied with the condition of roads. Much of the frustration s over into other areas too. There was universal dissatisfaction among Palam Vihar/Kapashera residents over the quality of roads. They also indicated similar levels of discontent over electricity - 51% said supply was just not adequate while another 44% conveyed moderate satisfaction; only a slim 5% of residents had no complaints regarding power.

It's not all bad news though. For one, the coming of the Metro has brought about a huge transformation in the commuting patterns of DLF residents, helping them cut travel time and costs. An identical effect is visible, though to a slightly lesser degree, among those living in Sectors 55-58. Over 40% of them said the Metro has "completely" altered their travel routine while more than 50% said it had "somewhat" changed their schedule. And in central Gurgaon, up to two-thirds indicated that the Metro had made life easier. Of course, the response to the Metro was muted in outlying areas where the network is yet to reach.

Clearly, infrastructure services in one of India's emerging boom towns are getting better, but they have still not kept pace with expectations. The high levels of dissatisfaction may suggest that agencies need to get their act together quickly.

CommentQuote
  • Interesting piece of information . Shows the reality between perceptions & actual findings.
    CommentQuote
  • Gurgaon Ranks One

Gurgaon ranks one when it comes to employment generation. Awesome! I work here.

And also ranks one from the bottom when it comes to infrastructure. Pathetic! I face it everyday.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by saurabh_realty

And also ranks one from the bottom when it comes to infrastructure. Pathetic! I face it everyday.

Same story for most of us, i guess :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Mikhail
    Same story for most of us, i guess :)

Ha Ha.. true true true..
    CommentQuote
  • A City is a reflection of its citizens .

Originally Posted by saurabh_realty

CommentQuote
  • Nasscom thumbs down to Gurgaon infra

Study says city better in parameters like international connectivity, space availability, entertainment options

GURGAON might be touting itself as one of the country’s top destinations for IT companies, but a report by the Nasscom Regional Council (NRC), Gurgaon, trashes infrastructure in the Millennium City while comparing it to facilities in other major cities. The report — Gurgaon: The Promise of a Global Business Destination — says Gurgaon fares well in areas like national/international connectivity, space and recreational facilities, but loses out when it comes to local connectivity, power, social infrastructure as well as security and hygiene. The report says cost of operations in Gurgaon is comparable to Noida in terms of state support, while Mumbai tops the list.

In terms of infrastructure and social and living environment, the reports rates Gurgaon among the
    lowest, only next to Noida. However, Gurgaon is the second most cost effective city, just behind Delhi, followed by Bangalore. Mumbai scores the lowest in cost effectiveness.

While Gurgaon is rated as poor in terms of local connectivity, Chennai and Hyderabad fare well. Delhi and Gurgaon are the worst when it comes to power, while Chennai and Kolkata are rated excellent. Though there is much hype about the hospitality sector in the city, it manages just about an average when it comes to hotels compared to leaders like Delhi and Chennai. Gurgaon, however, tops the chart under heads like recreational facilities, telecom and space availability -Delhi has the low est office space availability. Highlighting the major challenges, the report brings to light issues like increase in traffic congestion in the past couple of years, water shortage and increase in criminal activities. The report has been submitted to various stakeholders in the government including police, district administration, HUDA and MCG.

FIRMS BACK STUDY, GOVT SAYS IT WILL IMPROVE OL RAJ SINGHLA (RETD), RESIDENT, CHAMBER OF NDUSTRIES, UDYOG VIHAR: "Parking space is the major concern in this part of the city. Most people are forced to park outside their company premises and their vehicles eventually get towed away. The other concern is the massive traffic jams during peak hours. Due to large-scale corruption there is zero accountability and this has give rise to massive resentment among the people." HARYANA IT & ENABLED INDUSTRIES CONFEDERATION PRESIDENT PRADEEP YADAV: "The Metro has been a relief, but the call centres are not much dependent on them due to their night hours and network of cabs. For call centres, one of the major concern is security, especially at night. Compared to Delhi and Mumbai, the police officers here are rude. There has also been a drop in the number of personnel on duty at night." GURGAON GM (IT) M K SARDANA: "The government is looking at futuristic options like developing new modes of transport like pod taxis.

Things definitely need improvement and we are working towards it. As far as power is concerned, it is a problem with all cities. The Metro coming to Gurgaon has been a major relief. Haryana will become self sufficient in power by the end of 2011 as several new projects have been initiated."
    CommentQuote
  • Gurgaon roads...I'm already sick!

I also work and live in Gurgaon and am sitting at home today because of a catch in my neck.....Im thinking of taking HUDA to court as the roads are making it worse and I think my problem is becoming chronic because of that. I drive everyday to office and of late it takes me 1.5 hours to reach my office and the distance is just 6-7 km's.....

I wish some city nearby gives tough competition to Gurgaon and attracts all these MNC's with huge concessions and better promise. I recently went to Gr. noida and I was really impressed with atleast the roads and the openness over there and wished I lived and worked there. Once the companies start shifting and the demand falls then only the govt. of Haryana will wake up I think and would do something about it.

Recently, the CM of Haryana talked about air cabs...c'mon give me a break...first make your roads world class and then think about reaching the sky...He says , all colonies and all roads will be connected with air cabs...Can you imagine that happening ever???? it makes me laugh actually....the city will look like a web!!!

I think our hon. Prime Minister should just announce that every 2 months he will take a 2 hour random road tour on Sunday early morning and I think then you'll see the roads being made overnight!

Bloody politics.....
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by varun007
    I also work and live in Gurgaon and am sitting at home today because of a catch in my neck.....Im thinking of taking HUDA to court as the roads are making it worse and I think my problem is becoming chronic because of that. I drive everyday to office and of late it takes me 1.5 hours to reach my office and the distance is just 6-7 km's.....

I wish some city nearby gives tough competition to Gurgaon and attracts all these MNC's with huge concessions and better promise. I recently went to Gr. noida and I was really impressed with atleast the roads and the openness over there and wished I lived and worked there. Once the companies start shifting and the demand falls then only the govt. of Haryana will wake up I think and would do something about it.

Recently, the CM of Haryana talked about air cabs...c'mon give me a break...first make your roads world class and then think about reaching the sky...He says , all colonies and all roads will be connected with air cabs...Can you imagine that happening ever???? it makes me laugh actually....the city will look like a web!!!

I think our hon. Prime Minister should just announce that every 2 months he will take a 2 hour random road tour on Sunday early morning and I think then you'll see the roads being made overnight!

Bloody politics.....

+1 on that.
    JAFRA (an umbrella body of gurgaon RWAs) has been taking the fight to the corrupt HUDA. With the launch of TOI gurgaon these issues will be highlighted every day.
    I lived in Noida before and have been cursing myself ever since i shifted to Gurgaon. And things are only getting worse :(

About the PM tour thing, yup, its amazing how roads are made overnight when a CM/PM comes along. A few months back the CM was coming to inaugurate some institution in udyog vihar phase 1. Overnight (really !!) the particular stretch from which the ministers convoy was supposed to come had excellent tarred roads.
    CommentQuote
  • Exactly!

I seriously think the PM should just announce, and not necessarily visit, that he will be visiting gurgaon by road to actually see what the millennium city is all about. I bet all the roads will be done up in no time. The work would still be superficial I know, but atleast better than what it is right now.

This is a kind of threat the PM should exercise in all rising cities in my opinion. I have written to the PMO office few times but I guess that never reached the right man! I just hope our PM reads the TOI but then does he get the gurgaon edition???!!!!! no...hahahaha
    CommentQuote
  • FYI, the PM is an impotent guy. He is just an old man with good OLD economic sense. He never had any leadership skills. Soniya Gandhi used him as a PAWN to get "Goodwill" of the Sikhs and also to keep away directly from all the mess that Congress has created in the last few years of governance.

THE BHOLA LOOKING SARDAR GETS AWAY WITH ANYTHING. :bab (35):

BTW, Congress gets 60% of its funding from HARYANA which is a 100% CONGRESS DOMAIN. So basically, what you see is Congress Raj. I am not saying that some other party is better. The point is that these politicians very well know the state of affairs. Be it roads, law and order etc etc.

There is just too much corruption everywhere. HUDA is directly responsible for collecting all the black money and funds that come from builders, contractors etc. The Haryana Govt. sets a target for fund collection from various corrupt sources as they have to fill the pockets of Center and State government officials.

SO MY DEAR CITIZENS OF INDIA, ONLY A REVOLUTION CAN CHANGE THIS. RWA'S are already having a super tough time with HUDA and matters will remain pending in courts for ever as the courtS ARE also largely influenced by the state government.

GOD BLESS GURGAON AND INDIA
    CommentQuote
  • Pothole-free roads for Gurgaon by month-end

The Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) has set a target of September 30 for repairing all major and interior roads in Gurgaon. The HUDA administrator is monitoring the project personally and has asked engineers to email photographs of all roads where potholes have been filled every evening.

After the recent heavy downpour left most roads non-motorable, a budget of R35 lakh has been allocated for road repairs, HUDA officials said. Recarpetting of some major roads, however, will start in the first week of October and is likely to cost the department R4.5 crore.

HUDA administrator Nitin K. Yadav said patch work which involves filling of potholes is already underway along the DLF Golf Course Road, AarDee City Road, Sector-52/52A, 43/53 and others. The severely damaged Sohna Road, except for Subhash Chowk near the Uniworld Garden, has not been touched yet as it is still being widened by the contractor.

“I have made it mandatory for all engineers to e-mail me photographs of each and every patch work and filling of potholes on a daily basis,” Yadav said.
    “After September 30, anyone who spots potholes on the roads can contact and inform me with photographs,” he added.
    CommentQuote
  • Hope , this sets the roads right or at least they r in a better state than at present.
    CommentQuote
  • SPR project hits legal hurdles

TNN, Sep 21, 2010, 02.34am IST

GURGAON: With Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) facing over a dozen land acquisition cases, progress of its ambitious Southern Periphery Road (SPR) has been reduced to snails pace. As part of the SPR project, the development authority plans to construct a 17-km-long road connecting Faridabad-Gurgaon stretch to National Highway-8.

Acknowledging that 14 court stay orders in different cases has slowed progress on the project, a senior HUDA official said: These cases have come in way of speeding construction activity of the SPR on the Gurgaon side of the project.

The list of litigants has names like M/s CRS Tower and several individual land owners. The 1.3-km-long problem stretch passes through areas like Sohna and connects to NH-8. The problem area in the SPR project falls on the most crucial section, which constitutes the last portion of the road. Unless the problems get resolved, the entire project will be affected, said the official.

HUDA superintending engineer R K Kakkar has written a letter to the development authoritys administrator asking him to take up the matter with higher authorities and clear the related hurdles.

HUDA had given the Rs 5.09-crore contract to Unitech limited to construct road on this stretch.

The tardy pace of construction on this section has also reportedly escalated the overall cost of the project.

The completion of the SPR project is crucial for decongesting traffic gridlock on IFFCO Chowk. At present, all traffic from Faridabad comes to MG road before heading towards the IFFCO crossing. Once, the SPR is complete, it would connect Faridabad to NH-8 through the Sohna-Gurgaon road, said the HUDA official.

CommentQuote
  • NHAI floats a new jam buster

GURGAON/NEW DELHI: Commuting between Delhi, Gurgaon and beyond will be smooth in the next few years. The NHAI will extend the National Highway (from MG Road to Delhi border) to Kherki Dhaula, making it an 18-20 km 4-lane highway via Sohna Road.

This will help commuters beat the big jams on the Expressway between IFFCO Chowk and Hero Honda crossing.

After the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road recently got NH status, the road transport highways ministry had asked HUDA and state PWD to study the feasibility of the newly proposed alignment of NH-236 from Delhi-Gurgaon border on MG Road to Kherki Dhaula. Sources said that the site has been inspected by top ministry and Haryana government officials.

HUDA sources said that the present NH will be extended from Delhi border via Gawalpahari and Ghata village before it joins Sohna Road. Then it will be extended to Kherki Daula toll plaza on NH-8.

HUDA is constructing a 7.38-kilometre road on this stretch as a green field project. Another 2.1 kilometre road is also being laid between Gawalpahari and Ghata village that is likely to be completed next month.

Similarly another 5.28 kilometre stretch is under construction between Sohna Road up to Kherki Dhaula toll plaza, said a senior HUDA official.

The new alignment has been proposed since the earlier plan to connect NH-236 from Delhi border to the NH-8 via the Mall Mile was found unviable.

It's already a crowded stretch and there is hardly any space available for further widening of the road. So the new alignment is more convincing. We are waiting for response from the state government. Once they inform us about their decision we will start work. NHAI will develop this stretch on cash contract,'' said a senior ministry official.

This means while commuters taking the expressway will have to pay toll, those using the proposed NH won't have to pay any charge. The NH-236 will decongest the traffic entering Gurgaon from the Delhi-Gurgaon border at MG Road till Kherki Dhaula.

Presently, NH-236 is only a 6-km stretch between Andheria Mor and the Delhi-Gurgaon border.

Though the NHAI had awarded the work of widening on this stretch to a 6-lane road before Commonwealth Games, it has already missed the deadline.

CommentQuote