81 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Gurgaon Shining or Dying

promise after promise by CM but no action on Ground

New gurgaon will be better than old: CM

TNN, Sep 14, 2010, 03.29am IST

Despite the fact that Gurgaon supplies nearly 40% of the total revenue to the state of Haryana, it has huge infrastructural problems hampering its future as a business and residential city.

Representing Gurgaon, TOI met the state CM, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, to find out how the government would tackle the abiding problems of roads, power and water to mention a few.

However, a confident CM more or less dismissed them as unfounded while listing out his actionable plans. He spoke on Gurgaon at length. And, astonishingly, he spoke even more on another city which was not quite there yet: New Gurgaon!

Gurgaon is the new face of India. What are your plans for the city to make it a model place to live and work?
    Gurgaon has witnessed rapid growth in recent years. Major IT and BPO companies besides big MNCs have their offices here. We are making huge investments in the augmentation of the citys infrastructure. The new city for which we have already prepared a plan would go a long way to address general grievances of infrastructure. The New Gurgaon will factor in the requirements of the future. Gurgaon will remain the preferred destination for investment and living.

You are now talking about New Gurgaon, altogether another dream. But issues relating to infrastructure of the city as it is refuse to go away. Is there something wrong with planning or implementation?
    I dont believe in fixing the blame on the previous government. None could imagine Gurgaon would grow like this in the post-economic liberalization period. But, I do agree that Gurgaon could do with better infrastructure. For example, I know there is no proper parking space on Mehrauli Gurgaon Road. All malls came up on one stretch. The traffic is huge. But, you cant reverse what has already happened. Dhancha bigad jata hai to sahi karne mein samay lagta hai (It takes time to fix a structure that is already defective).

What is unique about the New Gurgaon which is scheduled to be fully developed by 2025?
    We will be following the PPP model for the development of this new city, with private players developing 50% and our own development authority putting in the rest.
    There will be adequate parking space, greenery, commercial space and open areas. The new city will be developed in the next 5-10 years. When you build a new city, you can actually plan for everything from sewage disposal, water to roads.

There has been a lot of criticism to the government population projection for 2025. You have put it around 11 lakh, whereas citizens groups have said that this is an underestimation and that the infrastructure including power and water cant meet the demand as the actual population would be close to
    20 lakh.

I dont agree. There is no problem with the population projection by 2025. To meet infrastructure needs, we have built an additional water channel NCR Canal for Gurgaon, Manesar, Faridabad and adjoining areas. Gurgaon will get its due share. The supply will start as soon HUDA completes the works to treat raw water.
    On the power front, we are on good footing. Soon Khedar-II (600mw) and Jhajjar -1(500 mw) power plant would be operational. This will bring major relief to the entire state including Haryana.

What about transport?
    We will introduce Pod service in Gurgaon. Delhi Metro has already reached the city. Private Metro work is also on. We need to take Metro to Manesar. Number of low floor buses for internal mobility will also be increased soon.

The two link roads between Delhi and Gurgaon are already choked. The proposal of constructing three more link roads has been pending for long. Whats the status?
    Work on the northern periphery road from Dwarka to Manesar will start anytime now. The other two link roads would also happen soon.

When is the KMP expressway likely to be operational?
    The first phase of the 135km expressway between Manesar and Palwal will be opened for traffic by this year-end. Rest of the stretch would be made operational in the next 8-10 months.

Dont you feel the need for establishing an overall development authority for the city?
    Gurgaon has now got a municipal corporation and its doing quite well. We dont see any merit in establishing an umbrella authority.

Comment

survey

Gurgaon quality of life survey: Metro mellows the mood

TNN, Sep 14, 2010, 12.39am IST

GURGAON: The BPO and auto hub of the north, Gurgaon has a large young, working population which feeds the IT and car industries in the region. The boom in employment opportunities has been accompanied by an expansion in housing and services as well. But the strain of managing a rapidly growing population is now beginning to tell on the satellite city. To gauge its impact on residents, TOI undertook a comprehensive study.

The idea was to measure perceptions about quality of life on diverse aspects such as road conditions, state of healthcare, crime levels and educational opportunities. Do you feel safe in Gurgaon? Do you find the water supply adequate? Do you think the Metro will speed up travel? A leading market survey agency was commissioned to fan out across the city and assess perceptions on several such parameters.

The survey has thrown up some unexpected findings, indicating a mixed assessment of living/travelling conditions by various groups. For ease of reference, results have been broadly classified into three categories - infrastructure, education and healthcare, law-and-order and administration. They will be presented as a three-part series starting today.

To begin with, infrastructure-related queries have evoked conflicting reactions. The newer areas, many of which are privately managed, though regarded as the most upscale neighbourhoods in Gurgaon, recorded high levels of dissatisfaction over road conditions, cleanliness and the general standard of amenities. On the other hand, residents in the more settled parts such as Sectors 14, 15, 30 and 31 in Central Gurgaon were largely content with the quality of utility services.

More specifically, residents in the newer blocks were "extremely unhappy" with the local administration's handling of civic issues, with nearly 80% of respondents from DLF phase 1-4 and Sectors 55-58 saying they were "not at all" satisfied with the quality of local governance.

Behind the gloss of swanky highrises and opulent bungalows, gated communities in these areas are seething over deterioration of utility services such as water and electricity. Up to two-thirds of DLF denizens said the demand-supply gap on electricity was as wide as ever. Many apartment complexes indicated heavy reliance on their back-up generators, which in turn adds to maintenance costs. More than half of those interviewed said they were "not at all" satisfied with the piped water supply. In comparison, water and power supply were a problem for barely one-fifth of Central Gurgaon residents.

An overwhelming 95% of residents across DLF phases I-IV and 80% of those living in Sectors 55-58 also gave a thumbs-down to the roads that criss-cross their parts of the city. But this was a concern shared by many of their neighbours in Central Gurgaon as well: upto 65% of them said they were "not at all" satisfied with the condition of roads. Much of the frustration s over into other areas too. There was universal dissatisfaction among Palam Vihar/Kapashera residents over the quality of roads. They also indicated similar levels of discontent over electricity - 51% said supply was just not adequate while another 44% conveyed moderate satisfaction; only a slim 5% of residents had no complaints regarding power.

It's not all bad news though. For one, the coming of the Metro has brought about a huge transformation in the commuting patterns of DLF residents, helping them cut travel time and costs. An identical effect is visible, though to a slightly lesser degree, among those living in Sectors 55-58. Over 40% of them said the Metro has "completely" altered their travel routine while more than 50% said it had "somewhat" changed their schedule. And in central Gurgaon, up to two-thirds indicated that the Metro had made life easier. Of course, the response to the Metro was muted in outlying areas where the network is yet to reach.

Clearly, infrastructure services in one of India's emerging boom towns are getting better, but they have still not kept pace with expectations. The high levels of dissatisfaction may suggest that agencies need to get their act together quickly.

Last edited by Memnon; September 14 2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Interesting piece of information . Shows the reality between perceptions & actual findings.
        Download our Android App! | Please Read IREF Rules | FAQ's

Comment

Gurgaon Ranks One

Gurgaon ranks one when it comes to employment generation. Awesome! I work here.

And also ranks one from the bottom when it comes to infrastructure. Pathetic! I face it everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by saurabh_realty View Post

And also ranks one from the bottom when it comes to infrastructure. Pathetic! I face it everyday.
            Same story for most of us, i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
              Same story for most of us, i guess
              Ha Ha.. true true true..

Comment

A City is a reflection of its citizens .

Originally posted by saurabh_realty View Post

Download our Android App! | Please Read IREF Rules | FAQ's

Comment

Nasscom thumbs down to Gurgaon infra

Study says city better in parameters like international connectivity, space availability, entertainment options

GURGAON might be touting itself as one of the country’s top destinations for IT companies, but a report by the Nasscom Regional Council (NRC), Gurgaon, trashes infrastructure in the Millennium City while comparing it to facilities in other major cities. The report — Gurgaon: The Promise of a Global Business Destination — says Gurgaon fares well in areas like national/international connectivity, space and recreational facilities, but loses out when it comes to local connectivity, power, social infrastructure as well as security and hygiene. The report says cost of operations in Gurgaon is comparable to Noida in terms of state support, while Mumbai tops the list.

In terms of infrastructure and social and living environment, the reports rates Gurgaon among the
                  lowest, only next to Noida. However, Gurgaon is the second most cost effective city, just behind Delhi, followed by Bangalore. Mumbai scores the lowest in cost effectiveness.

While Gurgaon is rated as poor in terms of local connectivity, Chennai and Hyderabad fare well. Delhi and Gurgaon are the worst when it comes to power, while Chennai and Kolkata are rated excellent. Though there is much hype about the hospitality sector in the city, it manages just about an average when it comes to hotels compared to leaders like Delhi and Chennai. Gurgaon, however, tops the chart under heads like recreational facilities, telecom and space availability -Delhi has the low est office space availability. Highlighting the major challenges, the report brings to light issues like increase in traffic congestion in the past couple of years, water shortage and increase in criminal activities. The report has been submitted to various stakeholders in the government including police, district administration, HUDA and MCG.

FIRMS BACK STUDY, GOVT SAYS IT WILL IMPROVE OL RAJ SINGHLA (RETD), RESIDENT, CHAMBER OF NDUSTRIES, UDYOG VIHAR: "Parking space is the major concern in this part of the city. Most people are forced to park outside their company premises and their vehicles eventually get towed away. The other concern is the massive traffic jams during peak hours. Due to large-scale corruption there is zero accountability and this has give rise to massive resentment among the people." HARYANA IT & ENABLED INDUSTRIES CONFEDERATION PRESIDENT PRADEEP YADAV: "The Metro has been a relief, but the call centres are not much dependent on them due to their night hours and network of cabs. For call centres, one of the major concern is security, especially at night. Compared to Delhi and Mumbai, the police officers here are rude. There has also been a drop in the number of personnel on duty at night." GURGAON GM (IT) M K SARDANA: "The government is looking at futuristic options like developing new modes of transport like pod taxis.

Things definitely need improvement and we are working towards it. As far as power is concerned, it is a problem with all cities. The Metro coming to Gurgaon has been a major relief. Haryana will become self sufficient in power by the end of 2011 as several new projects have been initiated."

Comment

Gurgaon roads...I'm already sick!

I also work and live in Gurgaon and am sitting at home today because of a catch in my neck.....Im thinking of taking HUDA to court as the roads are making it worse and I think my problem is becoming chronic because of that. I drive everyday to office and of late it takes me 1.5 hours to reach my office and the distance is just 6-7 km's.....

I wish some city nearby gives tough competition to Gurgaon and attracts all these MNC's with huge concessions and better promise. I recently went to Gr. noida and I was really impressed with atleast the roads and the openness over there and wished I lived and worked there. Once the companies start shifting and the demand falls then only the govt. of Haryana will wake up I think and would do something about it.

Recently, the CM of Haryana talked about air cabs...c'mon give me a break...first make your roads world class and then think about reaching the sky...He says , all colonies and all roads will be connected with air cabs...Can you imagine that happening ever???? it makes me laugh actually....the city will look like a web!!!

I think our hon. Prime Minister should just announce that every 2 months he will take a 2 hour random road tour on Sunday early morning and I think then you'll see the roads being made overnight!

Bloody politics.....

Comment

Originally posted by varun007 View Post
                      I also work and live in Gurgaon and am sitting at home today because of a catch in my neck.....Im thinking of taking HUDA to court as the roads are making it worse and I think my problem is becoming chronic because of that. I drive everyday to office and of late it takes me 1.5 hours to reach my office and the distance is just 6-7 km's.....

I wish some city nearby gives tough competition to Gurgaon and attracts all these MNC's with huge concessions and better promise. I recently went to Gr. noida and I was really impressed with atleast the roads and the openness over there and wished I lived and worked there. Once the companies start shifting and the demand falls then only the govt. of Haryana will wake up I think and would do something about it.

Recently, the CM of Haryana talked about air cabs...c'mon give me a break...first make your roads world class and then think about reaching the sky...He says , all colonies and all roads will be connected with air cabs...Can you imagine that happening ever???? it makes me laugh actually....the city will look like a web!!!

I think our hon. Prime Minister should just announce that every 2 months he will take a 2 hour random road tour on Sunday early morning and I think then you'll see the roads being made overnight!

Bloody politics.....
                      +1 on that.
                      JAFRA (an umbrella body of gurgaon RWAs) has been taking the fight to the corrupt HUDA. With the launch of TOI gurgaon these issues will be highlighted every day.
                      I lived in Noida before and have been cursing myself ever since i shifted to Gurgaon. And things are only getting worse

About the PM tour thing, yup, its amazing how roads are made overnight when a CM/PM comes along. A few months back the CM was coming to inaugurate some institution in udyog vihar phase 1. Overnight (really !!) the particular stretch from which the ministers convoy was supposed to come had excellent tarred roads.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X