What would be the construction cost for buliding a two storied house on a 350 sq yard plot (approx 3100 sq ft plot) in Gurgaon Sector 52 compling with the local by-laws? From quality and architecture point of view I am looking at a level of 4 on a scale of 5 (5 being awesome level). I know total cost depends on number of factors but for the time being I am looking for some ballpark range. Thanks.
Read more
14 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • CommentQuote
  • What is a better choice for design of the house, a 200 Sq mtr corner plot or 300 sq mtr plot.
    Originally Posted by Ranbir
    What would be the construction cost for buliding a two storied house on a 350 sq yard plot (approx 3100 sq ft plot) in Gurgaon Sector 52 compling with the local by-laws? From quality and architecture point of view I am looking at a level of 4 on a scale of 5 (5 being awesome level). I know total cost depends on number of factors but for the time being I am looking for some ballpark range. Thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Ranbir

Top notch construction taking FAR as 2 (inclusive modular kitchen, Granite floorings(katni now a days favorite) velvet paint, jaquar fittings) it would be 2100-2200/ sqft best Ply for wooden work.

Impoterd Marble and rest being the same would be 2000/sqft.

Vitrified Tiles, bit lower fittings would range something from 1600-1800/sqft.

Basic decent configuration starts from 1200/sqft.

Construction for hose to ge given on rent or PG can cost you starting from 1000/sqft.

- Gaurav
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ajayaoc
    What is a better choice for design of the house, a 200 Sq mtr corner plot or 300 sq mtr plot.

Bigger is better

If you want corner type feel. Leave open space on all sides in bigger plot :)
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks ManojA and Gaurav. Few additional questions:

- What kind of builder contract is best suited for building such an independant residential house -- Cost Plus or Time & Material or Fixed Price or any other form?
    - What is common these days in terms of contracting?
    - What percentage is built-up area in Gurgaon as per by-laws? I believe, above quotes / ballpark rates are for built-up area.
    - Wondering if there is any website where one can provide macro specifications and get a ballpark cost. If such a thing does not exist then it could be a good business utility to build for leading builders or sites such as 99acre (I know they probably do not want such a thing to keep things ambiguous and high varied profitability).
    - Does anyone has a sample costing sheet (excel or any other form) which I can leverage?
    CommentQuote
  • Please see reply below

Originally Posted by Ranbir
    Thanks ManojA and Gaurav. Few additional questions:

- What kind of builder contract is best suited for building such an independant residential house -- Cost Plus or Time & Material or Fixed Price or any other form? - If you have limited time and dont like to get bothered go for fixed cost contract. Cost wise you will have to pay extra to builder but it is generally not more than 5% wat you would incur because builders get max return from economies of scale (at least in Delhi... Gurgaon ka pata nahi wahan sab chor hain)

- What is common these days in terms of contracting? - In Delhi Its fixed cost contract.. Generally people give 1 floor of house rather than money. Not sure about Gurgaon

- What percentage is built-up area in Gurgaon as per by-laws? I believe, above quotes ballpark rates are for built-up area. By my knowledge F.A.R is 2 in Gurgaon i.e. you can have 500 sqyd of built up area in 250 yd plot. But you need to cross check. In Delhi F.A.R is 5.

- Wondering if there is any website where one can provide macro specifications and get a ballpark cost. If such a thing does not exist then it could be a good business utility for leading builders or sites such as 99acre (I know they probably do not want such a thing to keep things ambiguous and high varied profitability). - I think none.

- Does anyone has a sample costing sheet (excel or any other form) which I can leverage? - Most of the builders have those but they would not share with you as that has all their sourcing info. May be you can get in touch with some friend who gas gt a house constructed recently or can ask from house owners near your plot whose houses are under construction
    CommentQuote
  • Ranbir, answering a part of r. comment ( the part, on which, i am a bit aware ) -

If u can spare ample of time on this project, go in for a labor contract, with u providing the material .

If time is a big constraint & also, u do not want to get in the hassle of purchasing & organizing, go for Fixed price & Fixed time, kind of a contract .

Really, contracting is as per one's/mutual needs & requirement .
    CommentQuote
  • This style of working is dated, but I guess it can suit individuals.

You basically need to be the CEO of the construction and hire subordinates.

There are two things: dirty work, and dirty work.

Outsource labour + material with penalty clause. You need to get an architect involved. Not just any one, but a padha-likkha types who would be the spet in taking care everything is in order.

The architect will also ensure legalities are in place.

Finding architect in personal network is much easier than a builder. Builders/contractors are also less trust worthy.

Remember you need to do spot, surprise checking. Agreements for variants of materials need to be in place.

Do the hard work of planning basis seasonality, construction in plots next door.

A 200 sq yard house can be built in 8 months including wood work. Start in September (post rains) and work is completed max by May.

Meanwhile, a corner plot always has a slight premium attached. Sometimes upto three sides open. Tomorrow if you go for simplex construction all occupants can have separate access and car park/stilt access..
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks again, Gaurav and Manoj, And iMohak.

Though I am a non-practicing civil engineer, I am naive as far as construction & materials are concerned. However, I definitely want to do my homework (what-if analysis) to figure out what cost saving I can achieve if I become the full time project manager for construction of my house and go for labor contract.

How much construction time does it take from start to finish for a 2 storied house on 350 sq yard plot utilizing max FAR? Research, Planning, Architecture, and Design time would be separate -- iMohak has already given me some idea based on time taken on a 200 sq yard plot, but still sending this question.
    CommentQuote
  • 2000 sq/ft will be a good estimate
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vkaushal
    2000 sq/ft will be a good estimate

Thanks vkaushal. Is there any basis for this unit cost? Have you got your house constructed recently? What is included in this unit rate?
    CommentQuote
  • My wife is an architect. She has been executing projects where costs come up to this estimate. However, the cost may vary depending on the type of fittings and quality you decide to ahead with. This is just a ballpark estimate
    CommentQuote
  • Ranbir; Are you done with the construction of your plot as I see you were planning something in the year 2011 (approx 5 years back). The reason I am asking is I am actively looking to buy approx 263 sq yard plot in sector 39 gurgaon and would like to immediately begin construction once I buy the plot. Would be obliged if you could answer following questions:

A) Does it make sense to hire a contractor and keep track of material used or should one completely outsource it;
    B) Decent per sq ft construction cost in Gurgaon;
    C) How much set back is to left (both in front and back), in other words how much sq ft can I make in a 263 yd plot;
    D) Any idea how good or bad is sector 39;
    E) What would be the per sq yard price in sector 52 gurgaon (I presume this is where your home is).
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote