Hi Guys,

One of my cousins is looking to buy a house immediately for his own end use in either south Delhi or Gurgaon . His budget is not more than 2 Cr . He is looking for either builder floors or independent houses/plots from anywhere between 180-300 sq. yards .

Since his budget is low for south delhi . There are less options for him in South delhi in areas like CR Park , East of kailash , Kailash hill , GK 1 (old construction) Hauz Khas , Kailash colony , Malviya nagar (Mostly B category areas of south delhi) .

Whereas in Gurgaon , he can have many options like a builder floor in DLF 1 or an independent house in SL 1 , SL 2 , South city 1 and many HUDA Sectors and also few ready to move in apartments in Highrise buildings .
Since he would be living alone and with his future wife and children(Currently he is a bachelor) , his main criterias are security , 100% residential colonies ,good infrastructure ,wide roads, parking etc .

He is utterly confused as to what to choose between South Delhi and Gurgaon since both the areas have positives and negatives .

Guys please help and give in your suggestions as to what he should go for ?

Thanks in advance .
Read more
Reply
36 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by VarunVKV
    Hi Guys,

    One of my cousins is looking to buy a house immediately for his own end use in either south Delhi or Gurgaon . His budget is not more than 2 Cr . He is looking for either builder floors or independent houses/plots from anywhere between 180-300 sq. yards .

    Since his budget is low for south delhi . There are less options for him in South delhi in areas like CR Park , East of kailash , Kailash hill , GK 1 (old construction) Hauz Khas , Kailash colony , Malviya nagar (Mostly B category areas of south delhi) .

    Whereas in Gurgaon , he can have many options like a builder floor in DLF 1 or an independent house in SL 1 , SL 2 , South city 1 and many HUDA Sectors and also few ready to move in apartments in Highrise buildings .
    Since he would be living alone and with his future wife and children(Currently he is a bachelor) , his main criterias are security , 100% residential colonies ,good infrastructure ,wide roads, parking etc .

    He is utterly confused as to what to choose between South Delhi and Gurgaon since both the areas have positives and negatives .

    Guys please help and give in your suggestions as to what he should go for ?

    Thanks in advance .


    Well, I have lived in both South Delhi as well as Gurgaon. South Delhi is anytime better than Gurgaon but since budget is a constraint, Gurgaon would be a much much better option in your cousin's case. It also depends on what kind of profession your cousin is and how many hours he will have to spend on commute. Properties in his budget are limited in DLF 1 and the ones he will get will be of old construction. Again depends on his preference on high rise apartment (choices aplenty in GC and GCX) or villas/independent floors (SL2,SL3 which are less inhabitable and security is a concern). Independent houses will be available in older sectors of Gurgaon but depends on the kind of gentry he would like to mix up with.
    CommentQuote
  • For a person who has lived in Delhi, it normally becomes very difficult to adjust to GGN .

    As ggnkaaadmi said, here the budget is a constraint & GGN would offer much better & varied options than Delhi .

    I would suggest that u advise yr. freind to stay for a few months in GGN ( maybe, in a rented place ) & see, whether he can adjust to GGN . If yes, go for something decent in GGN . This i feel is quite important, because for most, buying & selling properties r very rare/one time occurrences in life .
    CommentQuote
  • hi, my POV, whatever budget in Delhi you'll always have a "Galli" culture. there are hardly any properly gated complexes even in the best of South Delhi areas (i live in one of the poshmost areas). i work in GGN and tarvel almost 4 hours everyday which is a great pain.
    to what i undersatnd from your cousins prefs given, his also has quality of life aspirations like me and hence should give GGN a try. at least it will be gated with good amenities etc inside the complex while he will miss the nukkad grocer, gali veggies hawker and mochi around.....

    ManojA is right in saying that he shouldn't make a buy-sell decision immediately and stay on rent for a couple of months to get a feel and decide on his prefs.....there are many core delhites who believe moving to GGN was the biggest mistake of their lives and opnce out, you won't eb able to make a come back any time sooner.....



    Originally Posted by VarunVKV
    Hi Guys,

    One of my cousins is looking to buy a house immediately for his own end use in either south Delhi or Gurgaon . His budget is not more than 2 Cr . He is looking for either builder floors or independent houses/plots from anywhere between 180-300 sq. yards .

    Since his budget is low for south delhi . There are less options for him in South delhi in areas like CR Park , East of kailash , Kailash hill , GK 1 (old construction) Hauz Khas , Kailash colony , Malviya nagar (Mostly B category areas of south delhi) .

    Whereas in Gurgaon , he can have many options like a builder floor in DLF 1 or an independent house in SL 1 , SL 2 , South city 1 and many HUDA Sectors and also few ready to move in apartments in Highrise buildings .
    Since he would be living alone and with his future wife and children(Currently he is a bachelor) , his main criterias are security , 100% residential colonies ,good infrastructure ,wide roads, parking etc .

    He is utterly confused as to what to choose between South Delhi and Gurgaon since both the areas have positives and negatives .

    Guys please help and give in your suggestions as to what he should go for ?

    Thanks in advance .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    For a person who has lived in Delhi, it normally becomes very difficult to adjust to GGN .

    As ggnkaaadmi said, here the budget is a constraint & GGN would offer much better & varied options than Delhi .

    I would suggest that u advise yr. freind to stay for a few months in GGN ( maybe, in a rented place ) & see, whether he can adjust to GGN . If yes, go for something decent in GGN . This i feel is quite important, because for most, buying & selling properties r very rare/one time occurrences in life .


    I would like to disagree on that front manoj bhai ... i had lived in south delhi all my life cr park , gk-1,gk-2 and then finally i shifted to dlf-1 6-7 yrs back ...... its another thing that i got a 500 sq yd plot in dlf-1 for as much i was living in a 300 sq yd first floor in gk1 .... leaving that apart .... I found quality of life way better in gurgaon than gk-1 ...... good sized roads , parking not an issue , you get your own space (i mean at that time price difference was huge so i got a sweet deal i guess) , i liked the roads had lesser traffic(that time) , all needs were nearby (although 1.5 times the price avlble in even south delhi ) .....

    And also at the price you get these luxuries is way lesser than what you get in south delhi , and also in areas like dlf-1,2,4 the localities are good , the gentry is quality (more than 50 % south delhiites) and is safe ...And i found no problems adjusting at all , after all its just 20-30 mins drive to your ol friend circle in south delhi.

    Also i know if you have something for end use , you dont evaluate the value but DLF side has more growth prospects than south delhi ....for sure ...
    CommentQuote
  • Really, depends from person to person . I know of many guys who shifted from Delhi to GGN ( by looking at others & in hope of some anticipations ), but shifted back to Delhi, after badmouthing GGN & losing a neat packet in the whole exercise .

    That is why, i said, spend some time in GGN, before deciding .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    Really, depends from person to person . I know of many guys who shifted from Delhi to GGN ( by looking at others & in hope of some anticipations ), but shifted back to Delhi, after badmouthing GGN & losing a neat packet in the whole exercise .

    That is why, i said, spend some time in GGN, before deciding .


    yes obviously depends from person to person ...... my feeling it you definitely have a soft corner for gurgaon for investments but when it comes to the question of livability .... you dont seem to be too inclined this side ..
    CommentQuote
  • Yes, for living GGN, Dehi, both r out, though i might retain Palm Hills for end use, as a winter home ( i booked it as an investment ) .

    I love the Hills & the open areas, which r missing in Delhi & NCR .
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks guys for your suggestions!

    Manoja - Buddy your advice is excellent to stay in a rented house, feel , adjust to the new atmosphere and then go for the purchase but the problem is that he would be selling off his current house to shift to a new place , i adviced him to transfer the same byana for his new house cos i personally don't want him to hold the money with him and stay at a rented house unless the prices are expected to fall in a couple of months . and yes i agree , some people find it very difficult to live any other place than Delhi but i feel that is only because they miss all those things as said by risk&return , the dhobi ,neighbours chat ,gupshups ,ladies kitties parties etc .

    risk&return - You are correct , the main reason he wants to shift is only because of that nukkad wali chai ,gali ka dhobi , parking issues in the galis , ground floors commercial activities and few other similar issues .
    So basically he wants to live in a pure peaceful residential area , free of commercial vehicles ,dhobis , having wide roads , proper car parkings , greenery ,etc , he quite like Sector 15a of Noida . Basically , he is looking for a quality life where gentry is good and there is no intruding of neighbours .

    IshanB - Even i prefer DLF 1 than many B categories colonies of South Delhi . Growth value wise i cant say much but one thing is for sure, it is very difficult for haryana government to provide even 60-70% of facilities, basic amenities(Electricity , water etc.) as compared to Delhi to gurgaon residents even after 10 years from now . I may be wrong though .
    CommentQuote
  • Varun bhai , DLF is just a 15 yr old place ... its become what it is from scratch to this ... while delhi goes way way back ,so comparisons to be drawn ae not fair , whereas dlf has already left behind b grade colonies of delhi .... give it 5 yrs and you ll see much more growth here ... just give it some time .... another 5 yrs or so infrastructure should improve drastically and the electricity issue ( which is just 2-3 hrs power cuts now in dlf ) should get resolved , although there is community power back up options in almost all dlf phase 1 blocks (that i know of , can also be there in dlf-2 and 4).....




    Originally Posted by VarunVKV
    Thanks guys for your suggestions!

    Manoja - Buddy your advice is excellent to stay in a rented house, feel , adjust to the new atmosphere and then go for the purchase but the problem is that he would be selling off his current house to shift to a new place , i adviced him to transfer the same byana for his new house cos i personally don't want him to hold the money with him and stay at a rented house unless the prices are expected to fall in a couple of months . and yes i agree , some people find it very difficult to live any other place than Delhi but i feel that is only because they miss all those things as said by risk&return , the dhobi ,neighbours chat ,gupshups ,ladies kitties parties etc .

    risk&return - You are correct , the main reason he wants to shift is only because of that nukkad wali chai ,gali ka dhobi , parking issues in the galis , ground floors commercial activities and few other similar issues .
    So basically he wants to live in a pure peaceful residential area , free of commercial vehicles ,dhobis , having wide roads , proper car parkings , greenery ,etc , he quite like Sector 15a of Noida . Basically , he is looking for a quality life where gentry is good and there is no intruding of neighbours .

    IshanB - Even i prefer DLF 1 than many B categories colonies of South Delhi . Growth value wise i cant say much but one thing is for sure, it is very difficult for haryana government to provide even 60-70% of facilities, basic amenities(Electricity , water etc.) as compared to Delhi to gurgaon residents even after 10 years from now . I may be wrong though .
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by VarunVKV
    Hi Guys,

    One of my cousins is looking to buy a house immediately...


    My view is it all depends on where he works & how long and with ease he can reach his place of work. That should play a key role in deciding a home. Across the world across in any metropolis this is factored in, except when the person can work from home or is retired.

    In 5 years this will be the mantra for people in Gurgaon-Delhi-Noida as well.

    Metro is a game changer but it works for people whose offices are in metro route.
    CommentQuote
  • i have quickly scanned the thread....not sure what are the criteria for moving since the details are incomplete.....

    anyways if u can add JP Greens-Sun court/Moon court(option of 1-2 flats per floor) which is at pari chowk amidst 350 acres golf course, 85% open area actually...u/ur family will never regret in your life, just have a look at the project and let me know....price shud be 2cr.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by jankit
    My view is it all depends on where he works & how long and with ease he can reach his place of work. That should play a key role in deciding a home. Across the world across in any metropolis this is factored in, except when the person can work from home or is retired.

    In 5 years this will be the mantra for people in Gurgaon-Delhi-Noida as well.

    Metro is a game changer but it works for people whose offices are in metro route.


    He is having his office in South Delhi , commuting is not an issue for him , though south Delhi is more comfortable but he is OK with Gurgaon too , just because of the commuting time he doesn't want to compromise on his living .

    Ishan bhai , i agree it doesn't seem logical to compare Gurgaon with Delhi . However, i doubt next 5-7 years or even 10 years the problems like electricity etc will be solved as gurgaon is expanding , many buildings/societies/plots are being developed at a rapid pace , i dont see the government having the basic infrastructure to fulfill the future demands .

    Guys how about a 350-400 Sq. yard builder floor in DLF phase 1 or a 200-250 sq. yard plot in SL 2 ?
    CommentQuote
  • Delhi is getting really bad. One would have thought all the flyovers would have reduced congestion. But no!
    Parking is a real problem. Neighbours fight over parking. Four floor buildings and each house has two cars. Eight cars per building....How do you park? So you line along the parks. Even that is not enough. So you go in the backlane. But that is too damn narrow.
    I have had to reject many houses in Delhi because of inadequate parking space. Who wants to fight with the neighbours after a long day at work?
    I am told that even houses in Vasant Vihar that command Rs 1 lakh and more as monthly rent are providing space for only one car... Except for some South Delhi colonies, the rest do not even have a park. So where do the children play? So park them at home in front of the TV.
    Anyday I would prefer Gurgoan or NOIDA (if it had not been for my place of work that is Delhi) to invest and stay in.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by VarunVKV
    He is having his office in South Delhi , commuting is not an issue for him , though south Delhi is more comfortable but he is OK with Gurgaon too , just because of the commuting time he doesn't want to compromise on his living .

    Ishan bhai , i agree it doesn't seem logical to compare Gurgaon with Delhi . However, i doubt next 5-7 years or even 10 years the problems like electricity etc will be solved as gurgaon is expanding , many buildings/societies/plots are being developed at a rapid pace , i dont see the government having the basic infrastructure to fulfill the future demands .

    Guys how about a 350-400 Sq. yard builder floor in DLF phase 1 or a 200-250 sq. yard plot in SL 2 ?



    well a builder floor of 400 sq yds in dlf -1 should cost anywhere between 2 cr to 3.3 cr depending on location , whether its new built up or old ... and i dont think there would be a builder floor for 400 sq yds in dlf .... as most builder prefer building floors on sub 360 sq yds plots ....

    also a 240 sq yd plot in sushant lok-2 /3 if location is avg to good should be between 70k-75k per sq yd .....
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ISHANb
    well a builder floor of 400 sq yds in dlf -1 should cost anywhere between 2 cr to 3.3 cr depending on location , whether its new built up or old ... and i dont think there would be a builder floor for 400 sq yds in dlf .... as most builder prefer building floors on sub 360 sq yds plots ....

    also a 240 sq yd plot in sushant lok-2 /3 if location is avg to good should be between 70k-75k per sq yd .....


    Thanks for the reply ishanb bhai , which option you suggest , a floor in DLF phase 1(360 sq. yard) or a plot in SL2(240 Sq. yard) ? A dealer told my cousin yesterday that the registration for builder floors is becoming very difficult as the government has imposed many rules and regulations like , Completion certificate etc which are not available with most of the builders, is that correct ?
    CommentQuote