Since Gurgaon is going forward in the way it is,traffic congestion,filthy,impersonal apni biwi aapne bachche aapna kutha (maybe my POV),hotch potch lay-out,rules and regulations zilch,extreme weather,lax authorities etc,etc wanted a few suggestions which is the next best place to move into.Maybe even a suggestion for an upcoming small town for finally settling down.
Read more
62 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • I bat for Chandigarh and Panchkula..I understand Chandigarh has become crowded city and out of reach too...but Panchkula is well planed, green, less crowded, on shivalik foothills...and mistakes of Chandigarh not repeated here.....
    CommentQuote
  • Ideal place to settle down should have decent infrastructure with moderate temperature unlike Delhi / NCR and weather should be pleasant throughout the year.
    Bangalore could be one place as it scores good points in terms of weather.
    Mumbai could be the next option , where it scores maximum points in terms of professionalism , honesty and also in terms of weather as Mumbai has moderate temperature with plenty of rains in monsoons.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by zangoora
    Noida Noida Noida....aur sirf noida.

Kisi se bhi pooch lo...sab ki pasand... sab ka adda... apna Noida!

Noida??????

really dude???

You mean UP???

Good joke :D :D :D
    CommentQuote
  • Weather should not be the only factor for choosing the place.

Everyone would choose Shimla, Nanital, etc. But can you earn a good living in these places?

It is not practical for economic development to happen in those place.

Real GDP comes from Agriculture, Manufacturing, Service sectors, etc.

Every year so many rural people migrate to NCR, Mumbai to make money, not to retire. Even Retirees become used to all the facilities and do not move to smaller towns.

I see in South India, Laks of people migrate to Gulf (hotter than Delhi), Singapore (way more Humid than Chennai, Mumbai), where you have very hot and humid weather. But they ignore it when you get a massive pay package.

Money cannot buy happiness but it can buy lot of toys which can make you happy.
    AC home, AC Car, AC Malls, AC office, AC School, AC temples, AC Restaurant (AC in everything) would fix a lot of weather related issues.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by k11
    Weather should not be the only factor for choosing the place.

Everyone would choose Shimla, Nanital, etc. But can you earn a good living in these places?

Every year so many rural people migrate to NCR, Mumbai to make money, not to retire. Even Retirees become used to all the facilities and do not move to smaller towns.

I see in South India, Laks of people migrate to Gulf (hotter than Delhi), Singapore (way more Humid than Chennai, Mumbai), where you have very hot and humid weather. But they ignore it when you get a massive pay package.

AC home, AC Car, AC Malls, AC office, AC School, AC temples, AC Restaurant (AC in everything) would fix a lot of weather related issues.

very well said, sir!
    CommentQuote

I guess, it all boils down to "What an Individual Aspire in life ?" Since aspiration keep on changing from each phase in life...

I am a strong believer that in age of 18 - 40, one ought to strive for whatever he/she wants to achieve in life. One needs to endeavor for quality of life and in process helps / contributes to economy of world. if you have been given the opportunity by almighty to come into this world, it's your mandate to endeavor...

Remember "A tortoise might be safe under his cover, but only when he takes his head-out, he moves forward" ...So we as a society need to keep our HEAD OUT there to move forward. if that means to migrate where the opportunity lies, people would continue to do so.
    Believe me, throat-cut competetion is necessary to continue to refeine mankind intellect....they day we stop working, this society will come to a halt.

If you are above than average, it's highly likely; you may end-up creating job opportunities for not so lucky/not so aspirational people. So while you retire, you would have done your bit to help cycle going-on. At that moment, your aspiration would be different. I as an individual, perhaps would prefer to stay in Shimla / Kurg / Bhimtal ...or even in Florida / Southern California.....Since, I wouldn't have to any further do the daily drudging...

it's all because of Social divide , which is leading cause of this migration and responsible for inhabitable conditions in Matros. especially if you consider in developing countries, such as ours, the social divide is enormous.
    There is one simple question to do introspection for everyone?
    Why everyone wants to migrate to Mumbai / Delhi ? -> Simply because all job opportunities are there!
    Why all the job opportunities are there ? - Simply because all multinationals have opend up shop there!
    Why multinationals have opened up shop , in alredy congested ghettos of Mumbai / Delhi ? - Simply because infrastructure is there ?
    Why infrastructure is there ? -> Because government has , over the years, inadvertently ( or may be deliberately ) preferred Mumbai / delhi compared with B / C class cities!
    See satellite towns build on forests ( i remember passsing thru GGN in my childhood while going to my village in JhunJhunoo and it was all forest , obviously NH8 , used to be a different route too) have mushroomed, why because Multinationals set-up there offices there and government had to build the infrastructure ( even , in case of GGN, one would argue , if that's the case ).
    >> A world class Airport at DDUN / CHD / PUNE
    >> Set up of of all government entities, with whom , a business owners have to deal with on daily basis in these cities
    >> Superb road connectivity to "Current Major Metros"
    Only the aforementioned work will reduce the never ending huge migrant load on delhi / mumbai!

And guess what , when this happen ...this all 7K PSFT rates in Jungles would fetch NO BUYER....since the migrant rates into these tier1 city would be very less, drying up the demnads and hence controlling the rates ( more logical growth !!)

I don't think people want to leave the place, where they born and brought-up. Even till my last gasp, i will never forget the house, where i kid around and had fun. I think, if government could address this social divide, for most of the people, the place where they grew-up, would be the BEST PLACE to settle.
    Cheers
    CommentQuote
  • India did not create basic infrastructure all of a sudden in Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta or Madras.

British did it long time ago, for their own personal use. Except Delhi the other three cities did not even exist before them. Bombay and Madras were a bunch of fishing villages, not sure about Calcutta. New Delhi was built by them. I am not saying Old Delhi was bad. But New Delhi was better. Calcutta had a modern sewer system fifty-sixty years ago.

All I am trying to say, it is close to impossible to create another Bombay or Delhi. Forget about complex things, I am talking about basic necessities like Water, Sewer, Roads, public transport, garbage, etc.

Even planners in Govt were more visionary till 80s. 90s was the worst period. Last ten years was just fine, we had some progress on Airport and Delhi Metro.

There might be ghettos in our big cities but you do get all the luxuries in life.
    CommentQuote
  • Very well summarized by K11 and NewKidInTown.. One another very important factor is people prefer to retire or settle at place where one has more friends/known ones ...
    CommentQuote

Sir , Itna AC mein rahoge toh health ki ऐसी की तैसी ho jaayegi...people don't go to hill stations for no reason...
    CommentQuote
  • I agree it is good to go out and breathe natural air.

It is also better to stay in AC and not inhale polluted air.

Most people stay in ACs, 24 X 7 in hotter places abroad, they are well ventilated and have filtering systems to clean air to an extent.

India is no different. We are already addicted to ACs.
    CommentQuote
    India did not create basic infrastructure all of a sudden in Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta or Madras.

British did it long time ago, for their own personal use. Except Delhi the other three cities did not even exist before them. Bombay and Madras were a bunch of fishing villages, not sure about Calcutta. New Delhi was built by them. I am not saying Old Delhi was bad. But New Delhi was better. Calcutta had a modern sewer system fifty-sixty years ago.

All I am trying to say, it is close to impossible to create another Bombay or Delhi. Forget about complex things, I am talking about basic necessities like Water, Sewer, Roads, public transport, garbage, etc.

Even planners in Govt were more visionary till 80s. 90s was the worst period. Last ten years was just fine, we had some progress on Airport and Delhi Metro.

There might be ghettos in our big cities but you do get all the luxuries in life.

Sir,

It's a nice argument build-up and I would help to swell it further, not by countering what you are saying but rather building it on your observations.

You are saying it's close to impossible to build another Mumbai / Delhi / Kolkata, however eventually, we indeed are building new ones.
    If not then What are Pune , bangluru , Hyderabad , Gurgaon & Noida ( Although, they both are considered to be satelite town aka NCR) ?

Pune -> Although no international airport, however awesome connectivity with Mumbai because of YRC Freeway

Hyderabad / Bangluru -> Southern India tapped-in first in the IT Wave, that way lead to creation of necessary infrastructure . But look at in the hindsight, Bangluru wasn't designed to handle that much load / migration....City is almost dying...locals are almost hostile to IT people...simply because they believe , IT has ruined what once used to be a all season-good-weather City.

Gurgaon / Noida -> Simply one reason, they are close from Airport. Full Stop.

Now , those , who will born / have born in these new towns will no longer have to go anywhere else - Right? Moreover, since people are working 5X8X300 a year, they will need places to watch movie, places to shop around and good education institutes for their kids.
    So you see, for a reform, what it mostly takes the government initiative to build the condusive environment for business to start, operate and in the end flourish. This will trigger the chain of change!

Now multiply such towns ( such as Noida etc...) with 5-10 , and you see the migration load is coming down on the metros.

Look at what's happening - You could see that a lot of people on this forum are NRI. Most of them ( including me ) might never return to India but keep buying / holding properties, whilst the one who are working ( mostly migrants ) keep aspiring for always beyond capability dream homes. This phenomenon leads to what is otherwise called: Ghost Town Ghost towns of China: Satellite images show cities lying completely deserted | Mail Online.

My point is simple...We don't need another Mumbai ( Not sure, if you had lived there ....but ask people who commutes with Local...and the daily churning ...i just salute them!!) because Mumbai is definetly not a good example.

We need Towns with Basic Infrastructure , Condusive government policies towards business and necessary human resource to sustain such a business , in order to be able to reduce Social divide.

Just go for a simple survey:
    1) Identify those people, who came to Gurgaon after 18 Years : My guess, almost 50% - 70%
    Now even half of them had even possibility to earn , let say 75% of their current salary in Lucknow, with possibility to find options, if they want to jump from one company to another, I could bet more than 90% of those 50% would leave Gurgaon and than i would see, how could someone ask 7K PSFT for the Gurgaon Jungle...

Cheers!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by St_Anger
    Noida??????

really dude???

You mean UP???

Good joke :D :D :D

joke hi toh hai yeh thread....

there is no BEST place to live, warna sab wahin na reh jaate....

preference to stay is different for each individual... waise based upon TRPs of a place...Noida is far ahead of other places....so many scams, paper plans, kisaan aandolan...Noida sure knows how to be in limelight...
    CommentQuote
  • NewKidinTown,

Thanks for adding the nice insights.

I do visit China for my work, although I do not venture out of Shanghai metro. I see a lot of difference between China and India.

China developed smaller town and villages too rapidly. Their govt is more decentralized. The problem was the smaller town did not attract population or industries. Although it will happen in future, there is a push towards main land. They were a bit ahead in their plans.

There is no way that Indian central govt or a State govt would put that kind of money (infrastructure) in lets say Kanpur, Indore, Agra, etc.

In India, state govt puts money only in capitals or main cities. It is hard to convince them to move. It is hard to get quality workforce in small towns.

Just because MP govt put new roads, buildings and give free land to Microsoft/Facebook, do you think they will move from Hyd to Bhopal.

As I said in another thread,

There is one thing that is the most attractive about NCR and the biggest driver about RE. It is the centre of politics, has the most amount of colored money. Infrastructure is best in NCR. No other city has wide roads, metro, electricity supply, etc. I do not see any other city overtaking NCR in these.

UP has 190 million people, more than the population of S India. Bihar has another 110 million. Fertility rate in both of these states is closer to 4. South has fertility rate of 2.1. All of those people have to find jobs. NCR gets maximum migration. NCR population would double in the next 15-20 years to 40 million easily. It has already overtaken Bombay. There would be an eternal demand for housing.

RE in NCR is headed higher much higher, I do not think any city in S India could give comparable returns in long term.
    Also I do not think, majority of people would move from Gurgoan to Lucknow. It would rather be the other way around.

I consider Gurgaon & Noida as a part of NCR (metropolitan area).

HYD/BLR although much bigger than Pune probably has wider range of industries and already well established. Pune benefited from Maharashtra manufacturing industry, Hyd/Blr due to IT. I would also put Ahmedabad in this category. They have attracted population but none of these cities could grow into metro city.

One of buddies from Pune, likes his place but would not leave Mumbai however bad it is. I have not lived in the 'City of Dreams' but do not see many moving out.
    CommentQuote
  • Gr Noida.

buy a plot or villa for the price of flat in noida. very green, open and best infra in NCR. closed to few world class projects.

Owning land in NCR would prove its worth when you are 50+.
    CommentQuote
  • Which are these "closed world class projects" you are talking about???

- Daewoo Cars?
    - Night Safari??
    - Zewar Airport???
    - Adventure Mall ????

Originally Posted by Jai_Singh
    Gr Noida.

buy a plot or villa for the price of flat in noida. very green, open and best infra in NCR. closed to few world class projects.

Owning land in NCR would prove its worth when you are 50+.
    CommentQuote