In Gurgaon, every day is a thrilling adventure - Hilarious/True?

GURGAON: Recently, one of my NRI (Newly Returned Indian) neighbours complained about the lack of adventure sports and exciting outdoor activities in Gurgaon. He claimed that 'back home' in the US, he could pursue pastimes like mountain biking, canoeing or parasailing — all within a 10-mile radius from his house. There is nothing like that in Gurgaon, he moaned, for that adrenaline rush, that special thrill that comes from plunging down a cliff into sheer nothingness, the feeling of challenging nature and beating the odds, of pushing oneself to one's limits, etc.

Clearly, he knew very little about the extreme sports that we Gurgaonites get an opportunity to indulge in every day of the week, apart from the special seasonal sporting opportunities. Here are the most popular ones.

Red Light Jumping: Forget bungee jumping. What is so courageous about leaping off a cliff knowing that you are safely tied to a stout rope? It takes real guts and precise timing to wait until the last minute and scrape past the signal just as the light turns red. The black SUV in front of you with Gujjar Boy written on the rear window has already rushed past, overtaking you on the wrong side, challenging you to follow suit. Will you make it without loss of life, licence and lasting damage to your vehicle? Nothing can compare to this adrenaline rush.

Jay Walking: Move to a busy place, like MG road on a Saturday evening. Start warming up by walking on the pavement, if you can find it. By the time you dodge a stray pig, jump over a pile of rubble, outmanoeuvre a cycle rickshaw and side-step a lump of dog poop, you are ready for the final test. Watch the pattern of traffic carefully for a break in the flow. When you are tired of watching, run across the road. For added excitement, cross the road holding hands with friends and family. Raise your hands up and scream as though you are on a roller coaster. For extra points, cross back to pick up little Pappu who got left behind on the other side.

Cutting the Queue: The real version of this sport is played out at the toll plaza on NH8. The aim is to disprove the Universal Queue Principle: 'The queue you have joined will be the slowest among all queues.' To achieve the objective, one must continuously keep switching lanes and joining the lane that seems to move the fastest. Since everyone who has queued up at the toll plaza is in a desperate hurry to rush to a life-threatening emergency, the game promises each player the euphoric feeling of struggling against all odds and beating your neighbour to the toll booth. The toll booth officials have taken the game to another level by levying a fee of Rs 21 and ensuring that booths are manned by mathematically challenged folks who will take forever to hand you the change. For a variation, you can try the same game at the parking queue at a mall on a busy weekend.

Fog Driving: For the sheer thrill of taking a plunge into nothingness, try driving in Gurgaon on a foggy night in late December. The local municipal authorities officially sponsor this sport by ensuring that none of the street lights work. Even an extreme sport stalwart will find it unnerving to drive into a dense gray mist in which you cannot see beyond your nose. Add a dose of mystery and suspense by trying to guess which road you are on and whether the sudden thump on your car means that you have run over a stray pig, bumped into a roadblock, rammed another vehicle or reached the gate of your house.

Wild Water Rafting: Gurgaonites no longer have to go to Rishikesh to experience the joys of navigating large swathes of gushing water. Sitting in your vehicle during the monsoons with the water slowly rising up to the exhaust pipe can make you feel that you are in a canoe without a paddle. The objective for the pedestrian and driver is to get from one place to another on the waterlogged roads without drowning, catching pneumonia or walking through untreated sewage.

To push yourself to your limits, try driving through the routes that have Level 4 rapids such as the Three Great Potholes, Stalling Stretch and Drain OverFlow.

In Gurgaon, every day is a thrilling adventure.

In Gurgaon, every day is a thrilling adventure - The Times of India
Read more
Reply
24 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Good one...
    CommentQuote
  • Brilliant!

    LOL
    CommentQuote
  • ha ha :bab (59):
    CommentQuote
  • These NRIs are *$#%$%#

    I know one of my friend, who was born and brought up (25 years!!) in Mumbai until he went to Abu Dhabi (ya, middle east, not any angrez land) for 2 months.

    When he came back after 2 months, yes, just 2 months.... he found every thing so dirty, filthy, bada pav unhygienic, tap water like poison and so much!! Anyway, that bimari was cured in 15 days.

    Then there is another category of NRIs ... who immediately after landing at Indian airport will spit and throw something!! As if they were dieing to do that when they were overseas!!

    The ultimate is the semi educated wife of NRI ... They are the best, both in India as well as overseas. When they are overseas ... they are extra Indian, when they are in India they are extra NRI!!

    No worries, enjoy it.
    CommentQuote
  • good one lovehate and ondabhai :)
    CommentQuote
  • In the name of NRI ....

    After reading this article I feel that writer herself wants to show the problems; she is facing in Gurgaon. She cleverly use her NRI neighbour on front end, and wrote everything she dislikes abt Gurgaon.

    Bole to Kandha kisi aur ka aur bandook ki goli apni .:bab (45):
    CommentQuote
  • Good comments :) I enjoyed it although I also fall in the list of so called NRIs

    Originally Posted by ondabhai
    These NRIs are *$#%$%#

    I know one of my friend, who was born and brought up (25 years!!) in Mumbai until he went to Abu Dhabi (ya, middle east, not any angrez land) for 2 months.

    When he came back after 2 months, yes, just 2 months.... he found every thing so dirty, filthy, bada pav unhygienic, tap water like poison and so much!! Anyway, that bimari was cured in 15 days.

    Then there is another category of NRIs ... who immediately after landing at Indian airport will spit and throw something!! As if they were dieing to do that when they were overseas!!

    The ultimate is the semi educated wife of NRI ... They are the best, both in India as well as overseas. When they are overseas ... they are extra Indian, when they are in India they are extra NRI!!

    No worries, enjoy it.
    CommentQuote
  • Vendors Eat Up Public Space

    Encroachment on pavements, service lanes and green belts along major roads cause frequent traffic jams in the city. At several places, roadsides are occupied by taxi stands and vendors selling pottery and tea stalls. They disrupt traffic during peak hours. Sohna Road, Sector 56 Master Road, MG Road and streets leading to busy markets such as Galleria in DLF City, Bayopar Kendera in Sushant Lok and nearby areas are the most affected.
    "Vendors have occupied illegal space everywhere, from Sohna Road to Subhash Chowk to Badshahpur. At some areas they occupy an entire lane," said Raman Sharma, resident of Malibu Towne on Sohna Road.
    Hutments huts have also come up in green belts along major roads. The living conditions are unhygienic and diseases are waiting to break out. People also defecate in the open. Such areas also become breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
    "Hutments and roadside vendors also pose a security threat. We don't know whether people living in the huts are actually verified pottery sellers or thieves," said Sector 56 resident DD Sharma.Many residents also complain of encroachment by the parking mafia. There is hardly any free space left in markets as it has been encroached upon by parked vehicles.


    "Illegal parking in all the markets is a major reason for traffic jam. Authorities have no solution for this. Some parking lots have been set up right in the green belts," said Gurgaon resident Vijay Kumar.Huda administrator Nitin K Yadav said the administration is trying its best to remove these encroachments. "We have taken action against encroachers in Sectors 2, 9, 10, 31 and 32. In some cases those who have been evicted keep returning, so we have to evict them again and again. It is an ongoing process. We have also filed cases against some law-breakers," Yadav said.
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/Vendors-eat-up-public-space/Article1-715450.aspx
    CommentQuote
  • Great share, thanks
    CommentQuote
  • Experience in TOronto

    We have to agree that USA is very very organized and clean. Systems work.

    I was in Toronto Canada and waiting at a GO station (like Metro) in the lanes (so you can pick your guest and move out really fast. I had the car running and AC on. A Canadian signaled me - but I didn't understand. Then three people came over and very politely asked me to shut my car off. I asked why? They said that running car had pollution impact and showed to me that not a single car out of 50 was on. The wait is usually not more than 10 minutes. I was impressed that the citizens were so keen to keep their country clean and pollution free.

    Man - I understood why these countries are so clean and well organized.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vinays
    We have to agree that USA is very very organized and clean. Systems work.

    I was in Toronto Canada and waiting at a GO station (like Metro) in the lanes (so you can pick your guest and move out really fast. I had the car running and AC on. A Canadian signaled me - but I didn't understand. Then three people came over and very politely asked me to shut my car off. I asked why? They said that running car had pollution impact and showed to me that not a single car out of 50 was on. The wait is usually not more than 10 minutes. I was impressed that the citizens were so keen to keep their country clean and pollution free.

    Man - I understood why these countries are so clean and well organized.

    :D100 mein se 90 Beimman
    Phir Bhi Mera Bharat Mahaan:o
    CommentQuote
  • Would you agree to turn off your engine in India?

    Problem is that even if someone suggest you not to honk, or turn-off the engine, you would not accept. Its only outside India that we understand and follow these good things. I personally have seen on Gurgaon-Delhi e-way, some senior trafic police officer guding the trafic to drive in lane. He was there for 15 days or so. Now he is gone and lanes are gone :)
    In india we feel proud by breaking the rule.
    God bless India.

    Note: Its not a personal attack on you or anyone other reader. I am talking in general. and exception are there.... Always.

    Originally Posted by vinays
    We have to agree that USA is very very organized and clean. Systems work.

    I was in Toronto Canada and waiting at a GO station (like Metro) in the lanes (so you can pick your guest and move out really fast. I had the car running and AC on. A Canadian signaled me - but I didn't understand. Then three people came over and very politely asked me to shut my car off. I asked why? They said that running car had pollution impact and showed to me that not a single car out of 50 was on. The wait is usually not more than 10 minutes. I was impressed that the citizens were so keen to keep their country clean and pollution free.

    Man - I understood why these countries are so clean and well organized.
    CommentQuote
  • Well its nothing like NRI doesnt follow rules in India or pollute the city on will or Honk for no reason.

    Last time I was in India, while driving I made a gutsy attempt --> driving from Delhi to Agra without honking even once.
    Can you believe I was about to hit atleast 10 vehicles, 3 pedestarians and few animals. Most of the time I got sweet comments "Sale Horn nahi maar sakta kya". Well - Without horn, you cant drive in India.

    Once I wanted to go to loo in middle of the town in Lucknow - I couldnt find one. everyone pointed me to a abondoned wall ... WTF..!!!
    Now you would say that you never felt the same when you were in India before moving abroad - Excatly.. I learnt to find proper public toilet now but couldnt find.
    Littering - Same goes with it. I try to throw it in bins if available.

    Now whatever the case - I love India and being Indian. cheers.
    CommentQuote
  • Its unfair to compare first world countries with the muck we are in.. I have had my sojourns to the US of A and apart from all that advancement etc the biggest thing that stands out is the empathy and respect people have for each other. This is something sorely missed in India and specially so in Gurgaon.
    The 8 to 10% GDP growth and the swanky cars and the uber malls won't matter if we are not ready to be a bit more considerate to our fellow human beings.
    A case in point: water logged roads. Fine thats an infra problem. But, first we contribute by clogging the drains with plastic bags. Then, i see the car/scorpio wallah enjoying himself by spraying water on hapless bikewallahs/pedestrians. Being sadistic is entertainment !
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Mikhail
    Its unfair to compare first world countries with the muck we are in.. I have had my sojourns to the US of A and apart from all that advancement etc the biggest thing that stands out is the empathy and respect people have for each other. This is something sorely missed in India and specially so in Gurgaon.
    The 8 to 10% GDP growth and the swanky cars and the uber malls won't matter if we are not ready to be a bit more considerate to our fellow human beings.
    A case in point: water logged roads. Fine thats an infra problem. But, first we contribute by clogging the drains with plastic bags. Then, i see the car/scorpio wallah enjoying himself by spraying water on hapless bikewallahs/pedestrians. Being sadistic is entertainment !



    :)This is my India,Cheer up:D
    CommentQuote