In Gurgaon Every Day Is a Thrilling Adventure

Last updated: July 15 2011
24 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : In Gurgaon Every Day Is a Thrilling Adventure

Experience in TOronto

We have to agree that USA is very very organized and clean. Systems work.

I was in Toronto Canada and waiting at a GO station (like Metro) in the lanes (so you can pick your guest and move out really fast. I had the car running and AC on. A Canadian signaled me - but I didn't understand. Then three people came over and very politely asked me to shut my car off. I asked why? They said that running car had pollution impact and showed to me that not a single car out of 50 was on. The wait is usually not more than 10 minutes. I was impressed that the citizens were so keen to keep their country clean and pollution free.

Man - I understood why these countries are so clean and well organized.

Comment

Originally posted by vinays View Post

I was in Toronto Canada and waiting at a GO station (like Metro) in the lanes (so you can pick your guest and move out really fast. I had the car running and AC on. A Canadian signaled me - but I didn't understand. Then three people came over and very politely asked me to shut my car off. I asked why? They said that running car had pollution impact and showed to me that not a single car out of 50 was on. The wait is usually not more than 10 minutes. I was impressed that the citizens were so keen to keep their country clean and pollution free.

100 mein se 90 Beimman
      Phir Bhi Mera Bharat Mahaan
      Dil Jawan Hai To Jahan Hai

Comment

Would you agree to turn off your engine in India?

Problem is that even if someone suggest you not to honk, or turn-off the engine, you would not accept. Its only outside India that we understand and follow these good things. I personally have seen on Gurgaon-Delhi e-way, some senior trafic police officer guding the trafic to drive in lane. He was there for 15 days or so. Now he is gone and lanes are gone
        In india we feel proud by breaking the rule.
        God bless India.

Note: Its not a personal attack on you or anyone other reader. I am talking in general. and exception are there.... Always.

Originally posted by vinays View Post

Comment

Well its nothing like NRI doesnt follow rules in India or pollute the city on will or Honk for no reason.

Last time I was in India, while driving I made a gutsy attempt --> driving from Delhi to Agra without honking even once.
          Can you believe I was about to hit atleast 10 vehicles, 3 pedestarians and few animals. Most of the time I got sweet comments "Sale Horn nahi maar sakta kya". Well - Without horn, you cant drive in India.

Once I wanted to go to loo in middle of the town in Lucknow - I couldnt find one. everyone pointed me to a abondoned wall ... WTF..!!!
          Now you would say that you never felt the same when you were in India before moving abroad - Excatly.. I learnt to find proper public toilet now but couldnt find.
          Littering - Same goes with it. I try to throw it in bins if available.

Now whatever the case - I love India and being Indian. cheers.

Comment

Its unfair to compare first world countries with the muck we are in.. I have had my sojourns to the US of A and apart from all that advancement etc the biggest thing that stands out is the empathy and respect people have for each other. This is something sorely missed in India and specially so in Gurgaon.
            The 8 to 10% GDP growth and the swanky cars and the uber malls won't matter if we are not ready to be a bit more considerate to our fellow human beings.
            A case in point: water logged roads. Fine thats an infra problem. But, first we contribute by clogging the drains with plastic bags. Then, i see the car/scorpio wallah enjoying himself by spraying water on hapless bikewallahs/pedestrians. Being sadistic is entertainment !

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
              Its unfair to compare first world countries with the muck we are in.. I have had my sojourns to the US of A and apart from all that advancement etc the biggest thing that stands out is the empathy and respect people have for each other. This is something sorely missed in India and specially so in Gurgaon.
              The 8 to 10% GDP growth and the swanky cars and the uber malls won't matter if we are not ready to be a bit more considerate to our fellow human beings.
              A case in point: water logged roads. Fine thats an infra problem. But, first we contribute by clogging the drains with plastic bags. Then, i see the car/scorpio wallah enjoying himself by spraying water on hapless bikewallahs/pedestrians. Being sadistic is entertainment !

This is my India,Cheer up

Comment

Gurgaon's main artery choking

GURGAON: All along the MG Road - the city's main shopping boulevard - the malls are adorned with advertisement hoardings promising 'good living'.
                The haute-couture boutiques, the plush restaurants, the luxury spas, and the swanky interiors of the malls are all designed to give the consumers an 'international experience', not unlike what you might get in any other shopping capital of the world. But in Gurgaon, luxury ends where you see the sign displaying 'exit'.
                You step out of the malls, and step back into the real Gurgaon — the piles of garbage dumped on the roadsides, the broken pavements, the uneven roads, the dangling high-tension cables and the hollers of auto-rickshaw wallahs.

Shruti Sharma, a management student, is holding two shopping bags carrying the label of an American clothing brand. "There is no way Gurgaon's shopping experience compares with international standards," she says. Gurgaon Shopping Festival, which was organized last year, was modelled on a similar event held in Dubai annually.
                "It's funny to even compare the mall road to the shopping centres of Dubai or Singapore. You step out of the malls here, and it is chaos," she says.
                Gurgaon's mall road won't really become our very own 5th Avenue any soon, but the residents believe that it still could do with a facelift. "Singapore? Really? I mean look at it," says Taniya, an 18-year-old student pointing at a brimming rubbish can. "This is the most popular stretch in Gurgaon, and look at the shape it is in."
                A thorough clean-up job is the least one can ask of the people in charge. "We are not talking about a beautification drive. They should at least take care of garbage, the green belt, and the pavements which are in a sorry state," says Sumit Verma, a city-based IT professional. Ideally, he says, the exterior should match the interiors of the malls, if Gurgaon is to live up to its undeserved tag of 'Millennium City'. "Some new malls are coming up, and some of the most important commercial complexes are here. I don't understand how this road could be neglected," he adds.
                After the metro line was built along this route, the illegally parked cycle rickshaws and auto-rickshaws have also messed up the scene on MG Road. "The worst thing is that you can't even cross the road on this entire stretch," says a shopper, Mira. Apart from the MG Road Metro station, which doubles as a foot overbridge, crossing the road along the mall stretch is a nuisance. "Nobody uses the metro station crossing. And suppose you are at some distance from it, you have to go through the speeding traffic," she says.
                If Delhi can do it, so can Gurgaon. The swish shopping mall complexes in Saket and Vasant Kunj are still, by and large, more appealing to people. "When you are in the Vasant Kunj or Saket malls, the experience is way better than most malls in Gurgaon. Those complexes are far better designed, and are clean and smooth all through. Over here on the MG Road, I would say that it feels a bit middle-class still," says Arun Malik, a chartered accountant living in Gurgaon

Comment

Originally posted by rajesh_vsworx View Post
                  GURGAON: All along the MG Road - the city's main shopping boulevard - the malls are adorned with advertisement hoardings promising 'good living'.
                  The haute-couture boutiques, the plush restaurants, the luxury spas, and the swanky interiors of the malls are all designed to give the consumers an 'international experience', not unlike what you might get in any other shopping capital of the world. But in Gurgaon, luxury ends where you see the sign displaying 'exit'.
                  You step out of the malls, and step back into the real Gurgaon — the piles of garbage dumped on the roadsides, the broken pavements, the uneven roads, the dangling high-tension cables and the hollers of auto-rickshaw wallahs.

Shruti Sharma, a management student, is holding two shopping bags carrying the label of an American clothing brand. "There is no way Gurgaon's shopping experience compares with international standards," she says. Gurgaon Shopping Festival, which was organized last year, was modelled on a similar event held in Dubai annually.
                  "It's funny to even compare the mall road to the shopping centres of Dubai or Singapore. You step out of the malls here, and it is chaos," she says.
                  Gurgaon's mall road won't really become our very own 5th Avenue any soon, but the residents believe that it still could do with a facelift. "Singapore? Really? I mean look at it," says Taniya, an 18-year-old student pointing at a brimming rubbish can. "This is the most popular stretch in Gurgaon, and look at the shape it is in."
                  A thorough clean-up job is the least one can ask of the people in charge. "We are not talking about a beautification drive. They should at least take care of garbage, the green belt, and the pavements which are in a sorry state," says Sumit Verma, a city-based IT professional. Ideally, he says, the exterior should match the interiors of the malls, if Gurgaon is to live up to its undeserved tag of 'Millennium City'. "Some new malls are coming up, and some of the most important commercial complexes are here. I don't understand how this road could be neglected," he adds.
                  After the metro line was built along this route, the illegally parked cycle rickshaws and auto-rickshaws have also messed up the scene on MG Road. "The worst thing is that you can't even cross the road on this entire stretch," says a shopper, Mira. Apart from the MG Road Metro station, which doubles as a foot overbridge, crossing the road along the mall stretch is a nuisance. "Nobody uses the metro station crossing. And suppose you are at some distance from it, you have to go through the speeding traffic," she says.
                  If Delhi can do it, so can Gurgaon. The swish shopping mall complexes in Saket and Vasant Kunj are still, by and large, more appealing to people. "When you are in the Vasant Kunj or Saket malls, the experience is way better than most malls in Gurgaon. Those complexes are far better designed, and are clean and smooth all through. Over here on the MG Road, I would say that it feels a bit middle-class still," says Arun Malik, a chartered accountant living in Gurgaon
                  This is what we can call Internationalization under National set up, Cheer up MY INDIA

Comment

Others vs India

US/Canada
                    People in US/Canada don't have any responsibilities for their elders and even kids(after certain age). Earning money here is easy and
                    you can enjoy good living standard very easily without any hoch-poch.
                    So, you have free time now. What to do? Let's start doing something good to others and the environment.

India
                    India is very rich in culture. We all are rushing/killing ourself (not for 'I'), but for 'us'(family members). And everybody thinks
                    'Phale apne ko sambhal le, phir baad mein puri duniya ki chinta kargein'.
                    I LOVE MY INDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by anshgupta800 View Post
                      US/Canada
                      People in US/Canada don't have any responsibilities for their elders and even kids(after certain age). Earning money here is easy and
                      you can enjoy good living standard very easily without any hoch-poch.
                      So, you have free time now. What to do? Let's start doing something good to others and the environment.

India
                      India is very rich in culture. We all are rushing/killing ourself (not for 'I'), but for 'us'(family members). And everybody thinks
                      'Phale apne ko sambhal le, phir baad mein puri duniya ki chinta kargein'.
                      I LOVE MY INDIA.
                      What an excuse !!!

The problem I see is just the initiative. We Indians always follow the crowd. Agar wo nahin kar raha hai to main kyon karoon.. that kind of stuff. It will take time to change the attitude.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X