This is a thought that always gives me shiver down in my spine….
I have seen Gurgaon getting built over last 10 years very closely . Well when you work in Gurgaon this is what you see all around you. Construction ,Construction and Construction…With none of it ever seems to get completed…It looks like we are witnessing another Rome being built in India…The older one took 100 years to get built and I am sure our capable builders will outdo the Romans with the speed of construction that we see.

I saw a report prepared by gurgaonscoop.com and trust me it was horrifying speed of information… Almost all the leading builders have their projects delayed from 2-5 years… And when we compare the speed of construction in India with our able neighbors, one feels really embarrassed.
The kind of projects China has built with speed and efficiency is unparalleled in Human History.

They have just completed the longest Bullet train line in the world.. 1300 km of it built in 3 years flat. Trains will run at the speed of 300 kmph.

Longest cross-sea bridge spanning 36 kms, built in 4 years flat and employing 10k workers only.

World’s longest pipeline spanning 8700 kms from Turkmenistan to Chinese port cities built in 4 years flat.
World’s largest power station the “ Three Gorges Dam’ with mammoth 18 gig watts capacity built in 8 years. The biggest in India are still at the construction state with maximum range being 4000 mw and are part of Ultra Mega power project… None will be completed in less than 10 years to run in full capacity.

But this is what China has done. If we go back in history and see some of the most Iconic buildings of 20th Century then the facts will cause more embarrassments to us …

Empire State building remained the worlds tallest building for 40 years. What’s amazing to see is the speed of construction seen 80 years back in USA. Look at the figures below :-

-x09Excavation of the building began on 21st Jan 1930
-x09Construction began on 17th March 1930
-x09Project involved 3400 workers only
-x09Building was inaugurated on 1st May 1931.
-x09Building has 102 floors
-x09It just took 16 months for building to reach from excavation to completion stage
-x09All this happened 80 years back

Circa 2011 AD….. DLF,Unitech,Ireo,BPTP and many more are still struggling to start the excavation within 16 months from the launch of project forget about completing it…..

When you look around all that you see is despair, half constructed buildings, investors crying foul and banks raising interest rates every month and the delays getting further delayed….
Really wonder where is it all leading to…..

With this speed I only see our bank balances getting dearer day by day paying the interest on EMI's
Read more
26 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by rushilarora
    I have seen Gurgaon getting built over last 10 years very closely . Well when you work in Gurgaon this is what you see all around you. Construction ,Construction and Construction…With none of it ever seems to get completed…It looks like we are witnessing another Rome being built in India…The older one took 100 years to get built and I am sure our capable builders will outdo the Romans with the speed of construction that we see.

I saw a report prepared by gurgaonscoop.com and trust me it was horrifying speed of information… Almost all the leading builders have their projects delayed from 2-5 years… And when we compare the speed of construction in India with our able neighbors, one feels really embarrassed.
    The kind of projects China has built with speed and efficiency is unparalleled in Human History.

They have just completed the longest Bullet train line in the world.. 1300 km of it built in 3 years flat. Trains will run at the speed of 300 kmph.

Longest cross-sea bridge spanning 36 kms, built in 4 years flat and employing 10k workers only.

World’s longest pipeline spanning 8700 kms from Turkmenistan to Chinese port cities built in 4 years flat.
    World’s largest power station the “ Three Gorges Dam’ with mammoth 18 gig watts capacity built in 8 years. The biggest in India are still at the construction state with maximum range being 4000 mw and are part of Ultra Mega power project… None will be completed in less than 1 years to run in full capacity.

But this is what China has done. If we go back in history and see some of the most Iconic buildings of 20th Century then the facts will cause more embarrassments to us …

Empire State building remained the worlds tallest building for 40 years. What’s amazing to see is the speed of construction seen 80 years back in USA. Look at the figures below :-

- Excavation of the building began on 21st Jan 1930
    - Construction began on 17th March 1930
    - Project involved 3400 workers only
    - Building was inaugurated on 1st May 1931.
    - Building has 102 floors
    - It just took 16 months for building to reach from excavation to completion stage
    - All this happened 80 years back

Circa 2011 AD….. DLF,Unitech,Ireo,BPTP and many more are still struggling to start the excavation within 16 months from the launch of project forget about completing it…..

When you look around all that you see is despair, half constructed buildings, investors crying foul and banks raising interest rates every month and the delays getting further delayed….

With this speed I only see our bank balances getting dearer day by day paying the interest on EMI's

:bab (45):Indian builders are interested only to grab money from the consumers.Timely delivery or quality is not their priority:bab (45):
    CommentQuote
  • Amazing fact

Originally Posted by rushilarora

Hi
    Greetings

Amazing feats in construction field..
    Thanks for the information.. really mindboggling..

Pls find list of top 100 residential buildings in the world with their facts/status.. No project by RE Developers in India stand any chance to meet these specs in the foreseeable future
    World's Tallest Residential Towers | Emporis.com

Cheers
    CommentQuote

Main business of builders in our country is not construction. They are in the business of running ponzi schemes. Construction is the side business for the builders.

Money that you pay to builders for your flat is first used by builders to pay interest on the debt that they have accumulated then it is used to buy land bank and then whatever is left is used for actual construction on the project site. If no money is left for construction, then project is delayed by 5-6 years.

In the meanwhile you keep on paying interest to bank (EMIs) or lose interest on money that you have paid to builders and you are basically funding the BMWs and future projects of builders.

Right now I have a bet on with a friend of mine. I am betting that not even a single family will be living in flats on Dwarka expressway by 2015 end and not even a single flat/floor will be delivered by Emaar, M3M and Ireo on GCX road by 2015 end. You can calculate the delay by yourself.

Forget the flats in high-rise buildings, in our country builders take over 5 years to deliver possession of plots where no construction on plot is to be done. What a shame.
    CommentQuote
  • With the flurry of new High rise launches in NCR a race has begun to out do one another, I am tempted to bring this thread alive again.

Trend started with IVV, then came North eye in Noida, then Revanta and now I have heard about this new project by Supertech called Supernova with hold your breath 80 floors high skyscraper. (You can download the brochure from http://www.supertechsupernovanoida.co.in/Supertech-Supernova-Brochure.pdf)

I have also heard that Jaypee in Noida, M3M in Gurgaon and many other builders are in the planning stages to launch bigger tower. If the USP of each of the new launch is going to be the tallest tower in NCR/North India/India/World etc, one can safely assume that very soon some one is going to announce 101 floor tower.

As posted at the beginning of the thread the most important question is whether the builders have the wherewithal to complete these projects and that too on time.
    First project IVV was launched 16 months back and till date it has reached 2 floor stage. Compare it with Empire state building which got build from scratch in 20 months time in 1930's. When you see these stats,every tall claim made by the builder looks purely a piped dream.

Supertech hasn't even started the work on North eye yet. Revanta will begin the excavation in 6 months from now. Besides this there is already a dearth of labor specializing in building skyscraper in India. With so many projects where are these workers going to come...

These taller then tallest tower claims look too good to be believed and the biggest causality of delayed construction would be with the end user....

At the end the record will be set with the EMI's not the towers... Forget about the tower,the longest, the biggest,the most horrendous emi's of the world would be visible on this side of the planet soon.
    CommentQuote
    With the flurry of new High rise launches in NCR a race has begun to out do one another, I am tempted to bring this thread alive again.

Trend started with IVV, then came North eye in Noida, then Revanta and now I have heard about this new project by Supertech called Supernova with hold your breath 80 floors high skyscraper. (You can download the brochure from http://www.supertechsupernovanoida.co.in/Supertech-Supernova-Brochure.pdf)

I have also heard that Jaypee in Noida, M3M in Gurgaon and many other builders are in the planning stages to launch bigger tower. If the USP of each of the new launch is going to be the tallest tower in NCR/North India/India/World etc, one can safely assume that very soon some one is going to announce 101 floor tower.

As posted at the beginning of the thread the most important question is whether the builders have the wherewithal to complete these projects and that too on time.
    First project IVV was launched 16 months back and till date it has reached 2 floor stage. Compare it with Empire state building which got build from scratch in 20 months time in 1930's. When you see these stats,every tall claim made by the builder looks purely a piped dream.

Supertech hasn't even started the work on North eye yet. Revanta will begin the excavation in 6 months from now. Besides this there is already a dearth of labor specializing in building skyscraper in India. With so many projects where are these workers going to come...

These taller then tallest tower claims look too good to be believed and the biggest causality of delayed construction would be with the end user....

At the end the record will be set with the EMI's not the towers... Forget about the tower,the longest, the biggest,the most horrendous emi's of the world would be visible on this side of the planet soon.

I had a simple question for everyone looking to live in the skyscrapers. Gurgaon and Delhi are actually in seismic belt. Under such situations, are the builders taking steps to ensure the safety of their structures as per seismic standards or are we actually so reckless or careless with our life's savings/investments that we do not bother asking them this question before spending crores on new construction?
    CommentQuote
  • Dear Mr Dhawan,

You have asked a very valid question and I will try to answer as per my knowledge on this subject. As much as I have read, every country defines the geography of the country based on the topology and sesmic data of the country into various code.

In India out country has been divided into 5 zones with varying sesmic risk arising out of earth quake. Zone 1 means the safest and Zone 5 is the riskiest. Gurgaon comes in Zone IV.

Now lets understand the topography and Earth quake histroy of the region ;-

Earthquake History
    Eastern parts of Haryana along with Delhi lie in the Gangetic Plain. This is a fore-deep, a downwarp of the Himalayan foreland, of variable depth, converted into flat plains by long-vigorous sedimentation. This is known as a geosyncline and the Gangetic Plain is the Indo-Gangetic Geosyncline. This has shown considerable amounts of flexure and dislocation at the northern end and is bounded on the north by the Himalayan Frontal Thrust.

The floor of the Gangetic trough (if see without all the sediments) is not an even plain, but shows corrugated inequalities and buried ridges (shelf faults). The region sits atop the Delhi-Haridwar ridge which is a sub-surface ridge, trending NE-SW. There are numerous faults in this region, like the Moradabad, Panipat and Sohna faults. Delhi, Chandigarh and many parts of Haryana lie in Zone IV and thus they are extremely vulnerable to earthquakes.

Most earthquakes in this region are shallow though a few earthquake of intermediate depth have been recorded in Haryana. The alluvial cover of the Indo-Gangetic plain makes even distant earthquake felt here quite strongly. This region often feels deep-seated earthquakes that are centred on the Pakistan-Afghanistan Border and in the Hindukush mountains in Afghanistan. However, it must be stated that proximity to faults does not necessarily translate into a higher hazard as compared to areas located further away, as damage from earthquakes depends on numerous factors such as subsurface geology as well as adherence to the building codes.

Seismic Hazard:-

Ambala, Sonepat, Rohtak, Karnal, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Panipat, Rewari and Yamunanagar districts lie in Zone IV. The districts of Kurukshetra, Jind, Hissar, Bhiwani, Mahendragarh and Kaithal lie in Zone III while only Sirsa district lies in Zone II. The entire state of Delhi lies in Zone IV and so does the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Since the earthquake database in India is still incomplete, especially with regards to earthquakes prior to the historical period (before 1800 A.D.), these zones offer a rough guide of the earthquake hazard in any particular region and need to be regularly updated .

You can get more information about history of earth quakes in Gurgaon in Amateur Seismic Centre (ASC), pune's website.

I have also attached a Seismic Map of India to get a complete overview.

In India all the buildings big or small, residential or commercial are governed by the National Building Code whose final draft was released in 2010 which is based on Montreal's protocol.

Every structure big or small needs to be accredited by such codes and only after obtaining a relevant permission a builder can construct such tall towers.
    Hence you can be rest assured that all the tall structures are going to be safe.

Japan and Taiwan are classic case in example where the entire country lies in the most dangerous seismic zones but they also have the tallest buildings in the world (Think of Taipei 101).

Ireo Victory Valley's tallest tower has been looked after by one of the worlds best seismic experts Web structures.

For rest I dont know much about but I am sure they will not leave any stone unturned to take care of every one's safety.

Originally Posted by rdhawan15
    I had a simple question for everyone looking to live in the skyscrapers. Gurgaon and Delhi are actually in seismic belt. Under such situations, are the builders taking steps to ensure the safety of their structures as per seismic standards or are we actually so reckless or careless with our life's savings/investments that we do not bother asking them this question before spending crores on new construction?
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Yes, the crux of the matter lies here . It is true for all most all Builders, if not all .

With no regulation, these Builders have been having a hay day & getting away with all this . Let's hope, this all changes ( or gets under control ) soon .

Originally Posted by Krazy Yuppie
    :bab (45):Indian builders are interested only to grab money from the consumers.Timely delivery or quality is not their priority:bab (45):
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Rushil,

Couldn't have agreed more with you...even I've been giving this example of Empire state Building to so many people.

Unless our builders invest in importaing the techncology to automate the construction process and to build high rises...they will not be able to complete these projects in 10 yrs...and they may not have factored in inflation which may make these projects unviable for them to complete.

Buyers be ware!!!

-Gaurav

Originally Posted by rushilarora

World’s largest power station the “ Three Gorges Dam’ with mammoth 18 gig watts capacity built in 8 years. The biggest in India are still at the construction state with maximum range being 4000 mw and are part of Ultra Mega power project… None will be completed in less than 10 years to run in full capacity.

- Excavation of the building began on 21st Jan 1930
    - Construction began on 17th March 1930
    - Project involved 3400 workers only
    - Building was inaugurated on 1st May 1931.
    - Building has 102 floors
    - It just took 16 months for building to reach from excavation to completion stage
    - All this happened 80 years back

CommentQuote
  • Foul Play

Speed of construction in India is not slow because of the lack of expertise or unavailability of the quality contractor.

Its more to do with the greed and deceit that has become the hallmark of RE in India. To collect 70% of the payment from the buyers only 40% of the project needs to be completed which can be done in 12-18 months time.

For balance project let the buyers feel the brunt of Interest and every increasing EMI coupled with rent payout.

This allows them to rotate the money in other projects, buy land, pay interest burden. Delhi has a nexus of many such big or small builders where they have launched almost 50 projects in last year and most of the money is going in paying the interest liability or towards acquiring new land.

In India Speed of construction will always be indirectly proportional to the greed and deceit quotient of RE players.
    CommentQuote
  • 220 Storeys in 90 Days... That's China for You.

Just when you thought Empire State building was build so quickly in 1930's and were wondering what would be the next technological feat in terms of speed of construction, here comes our neighbours with mind boggling speed.

China is going to construct a 220 storeyed tower taller then Burj Khalifa in hold your breath in 90 days. So lets read more about this.

Sky City, an 838-meter (2,750-ft) building to be built by Chinese construction company Broad Sustainable Building (BSB), of Broad Group, will not just be the tallest skyscraper on the planet, won’t just be “earthquake-proof,” won’t just implement a sustainable design approach – it will go up in only 90 days.

Skeptical? BSB isn’t. They’ve used their building technique (which involves pre-fabricating and assembling up to 95% of the materials in modular form before construction even begins) to assemble a 15-story building in 6 days and a 30-story hotel in 360 hours, CNN reports. As for safety concerns, BSB has built a 30-story prototype that withstood a simulated magnitude 9 earthquake — whether the 220-story Sky City will be as secure remains to be seen, but BSB certainly seems confident.

Fast Facts

According to Gizmag: “If the target is met, the 838-meter (2,750-ft) “Sky City One” will take only a twentieth of the time that the Burj Khalifa, the world’s current tallest building, took to construct, and will stand 10 meters (33 feet) taller still upon completion.”

Sky City One advertises itself as an earthquake-resistant, carless city which will accommodate approximately 100,000 people and provide retail and leisure facilities.

- Sky City One has been designed with 15-cm (6-inch) thick exterior walls and a quadruple glazing in order to improve its insulation, allowing it to consume a fifth of the energy of a conventional building its size.

- The Sky City One will contain 1,000,000 sq m (10,800,000 sq ft) of usable floor space, have 220 floors, and 104 separate elevators.

- According to CNN, the Sky City One is projected to cost US$628 million. (Compare that to the $1.5 billion Burj Khalifa cost).

- Work should commence in November 2012 through to the following January, but final approval from Chinese authorities is yet to be granted.

World’s Tallest Skyscraper To Be Built…In 90 Days | ArchDaily

Here is a video to know more about this project....

China is building world's tallest building in 7 months - YouTube

After reading this one only gets a feeling that we are yet to get out of Dark ages.
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • All these big iconic towers are build based on modularised concept. Which means that 90days for 220 floors is not the actual building time but assembly time. 16 months for Empire State Building in 1930, I would say, is still more amazing than 220 floors in 90days because of the technology and equipments available today. Modular concept is used mainly in countries where they have extreme weather OR very costly labor OR complex structures.

For our own Gurgaon apartments, if they use this concept to speed up the construction it will become very costly for them. Still some of the good builders have been using modules but in a very small sense. Moreover, labor is very cheap in India. It is not for the technology and construction stragety but delays in approvals + builder/invester nexus (no paisa after 30% payment has gone & inventory unsold) which is delaying the projects.
    CommentQuote
  • If I am not wrong IREO/L&T have partially used these techniques in IVV and GA. Havent seen any brickworks happening there. Pre cast slabs were used for walls.

Lets see if they are able to finish on time even after using this technique.

Originally Posted by Garabh
    All these big iconic towers are build based on modularised concept. Which means that 90days for 220 floors is not the actual building time but assembly time. 16 months for Empire State Building in 1930, I would say, is still more amazing than 220 floors in 90days because of the technology and equipments available today. Modular concept is used mainly in countries where they have extreme weather OR very costly labor OR complex structures.

For our own Gurgaon apartments, if they use this concept to speed up the construction it will become very costly for them. Still some of the good builders have been using modules but in a very small sense. Moreover, labor is very cheap in India. It is not for the technology and construction stragety but delays in approvals + builder/invester nexus (no paisa after 30% payment has gone & inventory unsold) which is delaying the projects.
    CommentQuote
    If I am not wrong IREO/L&T have partially used these techniques in IVV and GA. Havent seen any brickworks happening there. Pre cast slabs were used for walls.

Lets see if they are able to finish on time even after using this technique.

rushil bhai ,

i was speaking to a chinese senior professional acquintance and were discussing about Gurgaon RE market and i was proudly telling him that in Gurgaon L&T was using the latest construction technology and was able to cast 3 floors per month on an average. He smiled and opoened these sites that you had refered to and stumped me.

so yes, these technologies are highly relevant is they are not hampered by ' other issues ' that plague the RE market. Issues like lack of single window of approvals for all permits/ approvals; incentive for the builder to delay construction as he moves money for other projects and so on so forth.

In china i guess their market has evolved and matured to overcome these issues and today they have issue of abundance, which they are forcibly trying to cool down.

Specifically for L&T projects they are using the MIVAN technology which is suitable for constructing large number of houses within short time using room size forms to construct walls and slabs in one continuous pour on concrete.All the activities are planned in assembly line manner and hence result into more accurate, well – controlled and high quality production at optimum cost and in shortest possible time.The frames for windows and door as well as ducts for services are placed in the form before concreting. Staircase flights, façade panels, chajjas and jails etc. and other pre-fabricated items are also integrated into the structure. This proves to be a major advantage as compared to other modern construction techniques.However they are not using prefabricated components .

The chinese have taken this to a new level altogether. It is their desire to grow out of their historical perception as people who give cheap imitations, there is a deep burning desire in them to do whatever it takes to change it and that is resulting into all these innovations.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Bikumatre
    rushil bhai ,

i was speaking to a chinese senior professional acquintance and were discussing about Gurgaon RE market and i was proudly telling him that in Gurgaon L&T was using the latest construction technology and was able to cast 3 floors per month on an average. He smiled and opoened these sites that you had refered to and stumped me.

Surprised to hear that someone (that too from India!) is telling Chinese about construction technology and all - they are light years ahead of us. I mean, forget about these sites, everyone knows that they are building the country much faster and in a more efficient manner than anyone else in the world !! :bab (59):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rajatk
    Surprised to hear that someone (that too from India!) is telling Chinese about construction technology and all - they are light years ahead of us. I mean, forget about these sites, everyone knows that they are building the country much faster and in a more efficient manner than anyone else in the world !! :bab (59):

so what is your point . maybe be i am too dumb to understand it :) :) or one of the 3 idiots to not know what the whole world knows :) :). Maybe you are the ' virus' who can teach me all about the 'chinese construction technology ' beyond the sites .
    CommentQuote