Recently I have begin to realize that this forum along with providing invaluable information and perspectives brings along with it a large amount of biased information

I feel most of us are biased here either for the investment we have made, the dream home we bought or the project any of us is promoting for commercial reasons.

All of us are just trying to present all our projects in the best of light and jump out with swords when any other person say anything against our project, developer, perception of the attractiveness of the area we are invested in..

At a certain level it is natural too when somebody invest anywhere he/she did that with a lot of conviction about the developer the project the particular micro market. We are bound to stick the decision we made and will not change our mind even after listening to logical reasoning.

Also when some body has invested all his life hard earned money in a particular developer/project how can we expect that person to stay cool when a lot of negative stuff is said (right or wrong thats a different debate) about the developer/project where that person all life savings is linked

Another angle to this discussion is there are people who do not like any other member for any reason, the best way to get back to your enemy is to start f*****g the project of the person you dont like, with out realizing that there are 500 more people whose money, emotions, feelings are attached to that project and by deliberately defaming a particular project we are playing with the "peace of mind" of that person....

There are some great people on this forum who have life long experience and expertise to engage into a fruitful discussion about real estate. then there are some who are a great source of timely information, so very crucial for making the right decision. More over the forum is a great place to make friends and even network professionally.

I think we all need to go through some introspection ion how we behave and what we say on the forum and how to best separate the right information on the forum from the barbs....

we need to ask ourselves - are we all biased here?
Read more
15 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by amit001
    Recently I have begin to realize that this forum along with providing invaluable information and perspectives brings along with it a large amount of biased information

I feel most of us are biased here either for the investment we have made, the dream home we bought or the project any of us is promoting for commercial reasons.

All of us are just trying to present all our projects in the best of light and jump out with swords when any other person say anything against our project, developer, perception of the attractiveness of the area we are invested in..

At a certain level it is natural too when somebody invest anywhere he/she did that with a lot of conviction about the developer the project the particular micro market. We are bound to stick the decision we made and will not change our mind even after listening to logical reasoning.

Also when some body has invested all his life hard earned money in a particular developer/project how can we expect that person to stay cool when a lot of negative stuff is said (right or wrong thats a different debate) about the developer/project where that person all life savings is linked

Another angle to this discussion is there are people who do not like any other member for any reason, the best way to get back to your enemy is to start f*****g the project of the person you dont like, with out realizing that there are 500 more people whose money, emotions, feelings are attached to that project and by deliberately defaming a particular project we are playing with the "peace of mind" of that person....

There are some great people on this forum who have life long experience and expertise to engage into a fruitful discussion about real estate. then there are some who are a great source of timely information, so very crucial for making the right decision. More over the forum is a great place to make friends and even network professionally.

I think we all need to go through some introspection ion how we behave and what we say on the forum and how to best separate the right information on the forum from the barbs....

Everybody in the forum must keep their eyes,ears and mind open.Forum has a lot of information,and one should take his or her own decision by applying the mind :o based on the available information.:D
    CommentQuote
  • You are absolutely correct, Amit.

But to put it very simply, these biases make the market what it is. The more the biases, the more liquid the market, And the more liquid the market, the more transparent and efficient it is!

If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no trading, no price discovery and eventually, no market!
    CommentQuote
  • Amitji,

Let me give you an analogy to the issue that you are facing here...

I hate the way UPA is s**ing our country. And I hate the people in UPA like Diggy and Manish Tiwary even more for blatantly lying on TV. But I still listen to them just to understand where they are coming from and which truth are they trying to protect this time. In simple words; in an open forum there will always be different points of views and you have got to live with that. Use this forum as one of the tools in your research for RE and not as the Only tool. Remember people here are not your friends (they are not your foes either).

Best!!
    CommentQuote
  • Very Well Said Amit and very much appreciate every thing you have written..

Personally I feel that this is how collective forums shape up across categories,hobbies or professional networks.
    Idea is to benefit from Individual's experience of buying a property. I feel this is a great forum to get a across the board information available on a particular project.

A health debate not only benefits the forum participants but also brings about certain facets/information which were either erroneously omitted by the brokers or the developers while selling the project.

Yes there would be certain people who would try to sabotage or influence other's comment or negate them, but if you see the trend over a long run,these people automatically get exposed and hence all their advice given on the forum becomes junk.

I am sure with such high investment, all of us become very emotional about our decisions and thats where the possessiveness starts looking like a bias.

I have personally learnt a lot from the forum and gratefully thankful to every one who have enriched my knowledge about the RE in India.

At the end of the day it all boils down to every one's maturity level and I guess all of us know how to filter the data from the information spread all across.

So for me some times so called "Biases" are good as that motivates the individual to go out of the way, dig more info,research in depth before sharing or making the comment on the forum.
    With so many knowledgeable members in this forum, it never takes too long to weed out and expose ultra biased or unnecessary information shared in the forum.

Originally Posted by amit001

CommentQuote
  • Bias, enthusiam, wisdom

Originally Posted by Krazy Yuppie
    Everybody in the forum must keep their eyes,ears and mind open.Forum has a lot of information,and one should take his or her own decision by applying the mind :o based on the available information.:D

Hi
    Greetings

At the end of the day it is each individuals own choice, preference, expectations, investment and knowledge. This forum is an excellent place as a valuable learning experience to guide investment decisioning for RE.
    We should therefore unite as individual investors/endusers/service providers to look at issues that affect the future of our hard earned money by providing factual, time based, material information help and guidance.

These issues that take our "peace of mind" are caused by rogue builders much less by any jawboning by a fellow member. I am certain there are more responsible identities in the builder/broker community who should take a lead in examplifying the industry through value for money and high customer experience projects. On the other hand would urge valuable inputs by experienced investors to help guide those struggling.

Regarding bias as rightly said by KY each one for himself, just be positive and stick to the basics.. rate your builder, check his past work, time taken, visit personally to check quality and finish, check appreciation for past projects, Check complaints about the builders. To save time and effort, this can be done if each individual updates his small bit of information. My attempt for dway projects has provided information to more than 100 people through the open link, which any body is welome to edit/update/change/rate/comment https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ahk_8tfSUql8dDloWnl4bXFvSjJ6TTB0Uk8taFp2bXc&hl=en&authkey=CKjfg6cD#gid=2

One of my close associates has actually been able to take a leading builder to court and got relief for 100s of small end users through such forums..

Cheers
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by amit001

Amit bhai Aap Bauht apprehensiveho jaate ho badi jaldi

Jisko jo bolna hai wo bolne do yaar , end of the day it doesnt matter....as simple as that

What matters the most is that u keep ur own eyes and ears open....

Chill mate
    CommentQuote
  • You are absolutely right Amit. But as other forum members have pointed out above, it is a part and parcel of being human :) Some people harbor grudges and create unnecessary ruckus - yahi to hai zindagi!

Originally Posted by amit001

CommentQuote
  • Being biased is ok, but if we read posts carefully, we can easily find out who is biased and to what degree. Every project has positives and negatives, so we get to see both sides from these people.
    But what worry me most is many people in the forum are not what they pretend to be. There are sales people of projects who are pretending to be investors and keep on bragging about the project. You can identify them also by reading their previous posts, they quickly forget which tower/floor they invested in earlier and change the tower/floor in subsequent posts.:bab (45):
    And then there are brokers too...
    We need to be very careful from these two species....:bab (38):
    CommentQuote
  • This is true.

And they always know their friend who has invested in project...ask anytime ...

.....so many friends!!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anujktyagi
    This is true.

.....so many friends!!

this is the best one....lol
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anujktyagi
    This is true.

.....so many friends!!

Hahahaha....Tyagi saab...Bilkul sahi bola :)
    CommentQuote
  • REPEAT POST

Originally Posted by MANOJa
    It is human nature to get biased to something u may nurture or something which is dear to u ( in this case one's money, one has invested in a particular project . LOL :D)

Most, if not all of us, do get biased, but if one realizes that his bias may be influencing some people & checks/corrects it, he redeems himself ( at least in his own eyes ) of the guilt ( guilt may not be the right word here, but using it, since cannot think of an suitable alternative ).

Above is true for most investors, end users . Brokers & screwed up/sick characters r out of purview .
    CommentQuote
  • bias or no bias , and ek tarah se investors/end users ka bias is correct also as they have found the project to be the most worthwhile to their own personal needs (be it monetory gains or budget or for living) , they/we have invested because we do like the project the best in the particular area/segment/budget/developer etc .

But main baat hai ground pe jaake reality dekho , dont just look at the brochures or surf the net . jo tum khud kisi chez ko samajh sakte ho woh koi nahi samajh sakta . As smeone said , sabki baatei suno aur apni akkal lagao !
    CommentQuote
  • Ishan Bhai, quite rightly said by a member "sabki baatei suno aur apni akkal lagao !", but saach bolo !!!!!!!!!!! ( Also, what one thinks is true or right may finally turn out to be wrong/incorrect, please acknowledge it . Ishan, not meant for u in particular, it is a general statement )
    CommentQuote
  • Ishan Bhandari bhai bilkul sahi bola aapne.....

Originally Posted by ISHANb
    bias or no bias , and ek tarah se investors/end users ka bias is correct also as they have found the project to be the most worthwhile to their own personal needs (be it monetory gains or budget or for living) , they/we have invested because we do like the project the best in the particular area/segment/budget/developer etc .

But main baat hai ground pe jaake reality dekho , dont just look at the brochures or surf the net . jo tum khud kisi chez ko samajh sakte ho woh koi nahi samajh sakta . As smeone said , sabki baatei suno aur apni akkal lagao !
    CommentQuote