Toll plaza attendant shot dead in Gurgaon
PTI | Sep 23, 2011, 08.09PM IST

GURGAON: An attendant at the toll plaza at Kheri Daula was shot dead by unknown persons when he insisted on toll fees from a car, police said on Friday.

According to Gurgaon police commissioner S S Deswal, 22-year-old attendant Umesh Kumar Pandey had asked for the toll fees from the car owners at around 12:30 am.

The car owners refused to pay and insisted that they must be allowed to go. When Umesh insisted for the payment, an occupant in the car owner took out a revolver and fired at him from point blank range.

The bullet pierced his neck, resulting in his spot death, he said.

The police have registered an FIR against unknown persons and got the CCTV footage to trace the culprits.
Read more
52 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Real shocking . Some mad cap killing a guy, who is doing his duty, for some real small money ( a life lost for something less than a packet of smoke or a beer ) .

We have crazy people all over, can happen anywhere . GGN is no exception .
    CommentQuote
  • What safe? You better be kidding!. Gurgaon has become a BADMASHO KI CITY.

Totally lawless. Locals violating every rule under the sun. With so much new money, locals have gone berserk. They know the local admin guys, police, mafia and have contacts so kya law and order rule ki baat karte ho bhai?

Look at the conditions of the infrastructure, roads kaa haal dekho, Ambience Mall Ka DEADLY U Turn dekho. The city seems to be going on on its own. People remain confined to their offices and then homes. There is nothing out there as such.

No parks, no safety....only THEKAAS and totally batmeez log handling them.

GURGAON HAS A VERY BLEAK FUTURE IF THESE ISSUES ARE NOT ADDRESSED SOON.
    CommentQuote
  • Goonda gardi has no boundaries, an example must be set by hanging these culprits within few hearings, unbelievable...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa

We have crazy people all over, can happen anywhere . GGN is no exception .

Sure it can happen anywhere. However there is a much lower probability of something like this happening in Mumbai or Bangalore or any other major city in India. I believe it's primarily a cultural issue.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by siddharta
    Sure it can happen anywhere. However there is a much lower probability of something like this happening in Mumbai or Bangalore or any other major city in India. I believe it's primarily a cultural issue.

This could've happened anywhere with anyone and at any time. Why would you call it cultural issue? Mumbai has a much higher crime rate than Gurgaon. Kindly state facts to supplant your statement. People with low tolerance and freak mindset exist everywhere.
    CommentQuote
  • Would not like to comment on that cultural aspect . Don't intend to start a debate on this, could get real touchy .

However, have u ever been to the interiors ( village level ) of Punjab, UP, Bihar etc.. ?????

Originally Posted by siddharta
    CommentQuote
  • I'm indeed shocked - some criminal minded monster taking a life away with scant regards to rule of law or human life. It can unfortunately happen anywhere in north India and not just Gurgaon. I hope this person is brought to justice and my heart goes to family of the toll attendant going about his daily job.
    CommentQuote
  • Very Sad.. Age of guy was very little 22 years....
    CommentQuote
  • Shocking. The CCTV video showing the guy falling after being shot at.

Watch: Gurgaon toll-plaza attendant being shot dead - Videos - India - IBNLive
    CommentQuote
  • Just watched it . Horrifying . Some sick mind looks to be behind this .

Originally Posted by ThePunjabi
    Shocking. The CCTV video showing the guy falling after being shot at.

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    Would not like to comment on that cultural aspect . Don't intend to start a debate on this, could get real touchy .

However, have u ever been to the interiors ( village level ) of Punjab, UP, Bihar etc.. ?????

I've seen and visited villages in Haryana - never lived or stayed in one though.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by siddharta

The way it happened, of course it was primarily a "cultural issue" only, and this could happen in "Haryana" only!

"Mahindra Bolero", "Gun", Angry shooting for a petty non issue - what else there is to conclude? This is the Haryana Culture!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ThePunjabi
    Shocking. The CCTV video showing the guy falling after being shot at.

Very sad indeed. Those dumb wits took away an innocent life for a paltry sum. Guilty should be hanged in open public to set an example for others who think they are above the law and should get special treatment.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by deepauls
    The way it happened, of course it was primarily a "cultural issue" only, and this could happen in "Haryana" only!

"Mahindra Bolero", "Gun", Angry shooting for a petty non issue - what else there is to conclude? This is the Haryana Culture!

You haven't been to other parts of India then. Have you? Whether it is UP or interiors of Andhra or communist ruled areas of Bengal or minority ruled parts of Kashmir, gun totting culture is prevalent everywhere. Whether Bolero or Tata Sumo is just a sheer co-incidence.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ggnkaaadmi
    This could've happened anywhere with anyone and at any time. Why would you call it cultural issue? Mumbai has a much higher crime rate than Gurgaon. Kindly state facts to supplant your statement. People with low tolerance and freak mindset exist everywhere.

Ofcourse these violent people exist everywhere . I'm just saying on a general level culture also plays a big part in how violent a society is.

Are women treated different in Kabul than in Paris -- ofcourse they are because there is a difference in culture? Is there more female infanticide in Haryana/Punjab than in Kerela -- ofcourse there is due to difference in culture.

This is a really sad case and could have happened anywhere however I'm just saying probability is higher in some places than other and we cant just brush that aside.
    CommentQuote