Bhai Log,

I have a feeling that

1) Life in Gurgaon is Posh compared to many parts of Delhi for average middle class or (slightly) upper middle class. (I am not considering super rich people.)

2) You will get young educated neighbors in Gurgaon.

3) Its more spacious. Population density is low so quality of life is better compared to Delhi.

4) Also cost of living is more in Gurgaon because of these reasons compared to Delhi. (at least 20%)

5) I may be completely wrong as I have never lived in Delhi. Have been living in Gurgaon for 8 months.

Please share your comments.
Read more
16 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • I have lived in Delhi, Mumbai and now Gurgaon. And though I belong to Mumbai (and prefer Mumbai best as a city), I find quality of life best in Gurgaon - gated community/two-tiered security, full power backup, pool/gym/nice playground, educated cosmopolitan neighbors, malls/shopping area/school/office nearby. And such luxury housing is available at a cheaper cost to buy than plain-vanilla housing in Delhi/Mumbai.
    CommentQuote
  • I have heard many Delhi guys wish to move to Gurgaon for a better life and better proximity to their jobs. So yeah I quite agree that most part of livable Gurgaon is better than average Delhi areas.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sh-saxena
    I have lived in Delhi, Mumbai and now Gurgaon. And though I belong to Mumbai (and prefer Mumbai best as a city), I find quality of life best in Gurgaon - gated community/two-tiered security, full power backup, pool/gym/nice playground, educated cosmopolitan neighbors, malls/shopping area/school/office nearby. And such luxury housing is available at a cheaper cost to buy than plain-vanilla housing in Delhi/Mumbai.

Maybe so only in a hi-rise....mainly being gated/two-tier security etc etc
    CommentQuote
  • Yeah, I meant only high-rises. But then all the new projects being built are high-rises and offer these facilities. In Mumbai you dont have such facilities readily available apart from basic security and havent seen any project in Delhi offering these. So yes, quality of life is surely better in Gurgaon high-rises.
    CommentQuote
  • other senior members

realacres, rishi, tinesha, Bishnu Amit , BlessU , rahul2011 , ISHANb

PLEASE SHARE YOUR COMMENTS.
    CommentQuote
  • STILL a LONG LONG WAY TO GO FOR GGN

My POV in Red

Originally Posted by gurgaon79
    Bhai Log,

I have a feeling that

1) Life in Gurgaon is Posh compared to many parts of Delhi for average middle class or (slightly) upper middle class. (I am not considering super rich people.)

POSH--- Beauty lies in the eye of beerholder...... barring NH not even a single raod is worth mention here.....all arterial roads are clogged to hilt almost all thru out the day.

2) You will get young educated neighbors in Gurgaon.

Provided you live in a good gated apartment. This I have to agree with you.

3) Its more spacious. Population density is low so quality of life is better compared to Delhi.

Nope this assessment is wrong. Gurgaon is not a planned city like certain planned areas in Delhi, so you find mix of commercial and residential in almost all the sectors which leads to total chaos for residential inhabitants.
    in next 2-3 years once Golf course road get fully populated it will be next hell in the making like areas around cybercity and infinity towers.

4) Also cost of living is more in Gurgaon because of these reasons compared to Delhi. (at least 20%)

So is this good or bad for middle class??

5) I may be completely wrong as I have never lived in Delhi. Have been living in Gurgaon for 8 months.

Depends which area in Delhi are you comparing Gurgaon to.....this comparsion itself is scewed...You cannot compare All of Gurgaon to All of Delhi... you can only compare pockets in both the cities

With better supply of BSP (bijli, sadak, paani) and a little better security situation Delhi is any day better in terms of livability. But if GGN admin tries recitifying most of the anamolies and haryana govt puts some focus on Ggn, it can develop better but it will take long time to become a world class city (just a pointer there is not even a proper sewage system in place in Gurgaon).

Please share your comments.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Dheer
    I have heard many Delhi guys wish to move to Gurgaon for a better life and better proximity to their jobs. So yeah I quite agree that most part of livable Gurgaon is better than average Delhi areas.

What kind of conclusion is that:

I live in Delhi and work in Gurgaon, I will like to shift to ggn only because of proximity to work that doesn't mean ggn is a nice place to live in.

How can we reach conclusion that proximity to workplace= better place to live please explain?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sh-saxena
    I have lived in Delhi, Mumbai and now Gurgaon. And though I belong to Mumbai (and prefer Mumbai best as a city), I find quality of life best in Gurgaon - gated community/two-tiered security, full power backup, pool/gym/nice playground, educated cosmopolitan neighbors, malls/shopping area/school/office nearby. And such luxury housing is available at a cheaper cost to buy than plain-vanilla housing in Delhi/Mumbai.

This is true picture of Gurgaon High Rise flats . When i shifted to india , i never imagined that life can be so good in these flats . We can even leave our children alone at home at night time...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by tinesha
    This is true picture of Gurgaon High Rise flats . When i shifted to india , i never imagined that life can be so good in these flats . We can even leave our children alone at home at night time...

It would be better if you state some facts on bijli, sadak, paani in Gurgaon to make this discussions fruitful... you can take RISK of leaving your children alone in any village or city in India how does that make an area better livable? that shows you are a risk taking person and not that GGN is better place to live.
    CommentQuote
  • Well having lived in gk,south ex( floor) for the max years of my life , i have been living in dlf(kothi) for past 7-8 years now .
    And believe it or not with overall comparisons in mind i liked dlf better .
    For the simple reasons which were -\

1) Budget - From a floor of 400 sq yds in south delhi i could shift in a 500 sq yd bunglow in DLF 1 at approx same price.
    2) Traffic situation - although traffice has become much much more in the past 8 yrs or so , still it is way better than delhi .
    3) Parking problems - In even the nicest colonies in delhi , there is a huge problem of parking , whereas in DLF it is still manageable .
    4) Distance not too much from my family and friends in south delhi , it is just 23 mins by metro from sikanderpur to hauz khas .Although if one goes by road it takes an avg 1.15 hrs on a busy day , and 25-30 mins on an empty road
    5)Internal road sizes - Although DLF has only developed gk and thereabouts , but internal road sizes are very small there when compared to average dlf road sizes

now the cons of gurgaon -
    1) road conditions are something that saddens me . it could be much better.
    2) public transportation is in a pathetic state . May be rapid metro and its 2nd and 3rd phase would do some good to the situation .
    3)Expenditure is higher than even south delhi for anything from daily ration to press walas , maids and drivers are also more expensive, increased electricty costs due to big power cuts leading to high diesel consumptions in gensets .

In the cons , point 3 is not such a big issue , but point 1 and 2 are big problems .

And regarding water problems , at least i can say for DLF , there is no problem of water here , he corporation water comes daily at the designated time .

Also the biggest plus for gurgaon is VFM ! I know many people say its damn expensive and everything , but when you compare it with south delhi , for example Kings Queens court by dlf in gk-2 are around 40k per sq ft , and average good apartments in gurgaon are at 12k per sq ft ( some at 10k some at even 15 k) .

I firmly believe there is no comparison of gurgaon to delhi in terms of infrastructure , but in terms of lifestyle within the same budget , it scores way over than delhi .

I am a firm believer that somewhere down the line , increasing oppurtunities of work in gurgaon and decreasing oppurtunities in delhi if coupled with infrastructure improvements in gurgaon , can/will bring property prices of dlf at par with good areas of south delhi like gk,south ex,def col etc It may take 5 yr , 10 yrs or max 15 yrs , but this will happen certainly .

Also already there are g+3 allowed in delhi with a proposal for alllowing g+5 , the day that happens , it will be even more cramped up than it is now .

One wouldnt be able to compare dlf with likes of vasant vihar , CP area etc that is why My analysis is based on comparison of a so called posh area of gurgaon with somewhat posh areas of delhi .
    CommentQuote
  • Ram Bharosa: point is that Delhi is plain vanilla life style as it is old city. Gurgaon is fancy and happ life style which comes at a extra cost of 20%.

If I am a salaried guy who wants to pay a rent for 20-22 K , my life is posh in Gurgaon as compared to DDA flats of Delhi Dwarka or even Vasant kunj.

In Gurgaon life my neighbours are well educated and young have similar mind sets.

in Delhi my neighbours would be sarkari babu or small shop typical delhiwalla businessman in this rent range.

For super rich people life is grand in all the cities.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks Ishaan for the detailed reply. your valuables inputs are always helpful in our decisions.
    CommentQuote
  • well since i am exploring rental returns in both s delhi and gurgaon (phase V golf course), I CAN TELL YOU RENTAL RETURNS ARE MUCH HIGHER IN GURGAON.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gurgaon79
    Ram Bharosa: point is that Delhi is plain vanilla life style as it is old city. Gurgaon is fancy and happ life style which comes at a extra cost of 20%.

If I am a salaried guy who wants to pay a rent for 20-22 K , my life is posh in Gurgaon as compared to DDA flats of Delhi Dwarka or even Vasant kunj.

In Gurgaon life my neighbours are well educated and young have similar mind sets.

in Delhi my neighbours would be sarkari babu or small shop typical delhiwalla businessman in this rent range.

For super rich people life is grand in all the cities.

But Sir what Ishaan has mentioned is for Kothis/good gated societies, not all rented apartments are that ways in GGN, Water scarcity and power woes are the worst problems in GGN comapred to Delhi. One of my friend lives in an excellent gated complex in Sohna and pays INR 15 per unit for power backup, these are just small costs that add up to your overall living expenses.

my POV-Agreed on neighbourhood but if both husband wife are working 8-8 how many times do u need to interact with neighbors, and weekends go in either mall hopping or a small trips to nearby touristy places or just rest.

Barring reasoning on a good beighborhood and proximity to work I hardly find any good enough reasons to shift to Gurgaon per se for any middle class guy and as you rightly said if you have MONEY you can live like kings in any city or village in India. I have seen so many of my bachleor friends who use to live in Ggn but once they married they shifted to Delhi because of a safer place for their wives and also if one has to depend on public conveyance nothing can beat Delhi infra (not all better halves can drive).
    CommentQuote
  • My POV as a salaried class.

I live in Delhi. Currently I live in parental house but at the same time if wish to go for buying a house in Delhi, here are my experiences .... The average RE price in Delhi starts around 1 Cr onwards irrespective of any region and that too involves colored component (BLACK) at higher side. A common salaried class can't even think of it. Whatever we gets reflects in F-16. One drawback. Secondly, delhi has got parking problems, that is even after i manage to buy a property in Delhi for 1 CR i will not be able to maintain 2 cars at home. Thirdly, the RWAs in Kothis is not very effective. The people are not ready to shell out few bucks on monthly basis for upkeep and maintenance of their surroundings.

Now with Gurgaon... I can still say manage to own a 2 BHK around 75-80 L or 3 BHK at around 90-1 Cr with better RWAs functioning, secured premises. Here, i will be happy to pay say 2-3K on monthly basis to get the maintenance and other utilities. Yes, in terms of traffic and infra, we have to be little patient but overall the GGN life is much much better than DELHI.
    CommentQuote