Why is GURGAON so NERVOUS?

Last updated: May 13 2013
186 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Why is GURGAON so NERVOUS?

Originally posted by Masque View Post
    Do you really think, these companies will ever start pulling out their offices from India?
    Then let me give you examples....prices are really sky high in new york, london, tokyo, paris, etc... but companies didn't pull out from there.... India has LOTS of skilled population and we Indians have potential and this is the reason companies are here
    Dude, don't tell me about Indians' potential. I have been managing Indian operations of an American media company for over 5 years now (total IT experience - 12 years) and I know how things work here. India was favorable only because of the price factor and nothing else but with the rising greed of government officials and red tape, the foreign companies are being frustrated. India DOES NOT HAVE TRAINED SKILLED population. Do you know the standards of our training institutes?

Things are much easier for these companies in Brazil and Philippines. Wait and watch and you will remember me in coming years.

Comment

Gurgoan

Originally posted by miketest View Post
      Dude, don't tell me about Indians' potential. I have been managing Indian operations of an American media company for over 5 years now (total IT experience - 12 years) and I know how things work here. India was favorable only because of the price factor and nothing else but with the rising greed of government officials and red tape, the foreign companies are being frustrated. India DOES NOT HAVE TRAINED SKILLED population. Do you know the standards of our training institutes?

Things are much easier for these companies in Brazil and Philippines. Wait and watch and you will remember me in coming years.
      I am unsure which country has apart from the Western world has the right quality of training institutes.

American companies are not getting frustrated due to corruption but only due to rising India cost.

Had they been worried about corruption, they would have never entered. It has always been there in India.

Same story is for the their manufacturing bases in China. Had they been so morally upright, they'd have never entered China. India is far better

Comment

Originally posted by chikoo View Post
        I am unsure which country has apart from the Western world has the right quality of training institutes.

American companies are not getting frustrated due to corruption but only due to rising India cost.

Had they been worried about corruption, they would have never entered. It has always been there in India.

Same story is for the their manufacturing bases in China. Had they been so morally upright, they'd have never entered China. India is far better
        Dude I mentioned that its due to "rising" greediness. Government officials ka pet nahi bhar raha, mere bhai. These things affect costs. Thats why they are forced to look for alternatives and Brazil and Philippines are the best bets right now.

In any case, I don't wanna troll and take away attention from the original topic of the debate. I rest my case here. Cheers!!!!
        Last edited March 23 2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

well accepted there are concerns, but please tell me how many of you would invest in Noida as a preference over gurgaon more so in case budget permits to go for gurgaon

Comment

Only typical call centre work is being shifted to phillipines from India because of their better accent...high end work is still being done out india......and I think politicians will also behave even they won't kill the golden goose (Outsourcing Industry)..

Dude I mentioned that its due to "rising" greediness. Government officials ka pet nahi bhar raha, mere bhai. These things affect costs. Thats why they are forced to look for alternatives and Brazil and Philippines are the best bets right now.

In any case, I don't wanna troll and take away attention from the original topic of the debate. I rest my case here. Cheers!!!!

Comment

I really don't know about IT and BPO but my company which is USA based construction company tried to open Shanghai office for cost purpose but they have to close it b'cos of lack of English speaking people, lack of technical knowledge. I don't know about management as I am a pure technical guy but I really don't see why these company will move out of India.
              And if you are talking about job prospect in Noida I have not seen any company of my field which has shown interest in opening Noida operation in last 6 years. now don't tell me my field is small, I can list down at least 10 companies of my field in GGN which have 1000 workforce per company. I used to stay in Mayur vihar for 2-2.5 years and worked in Noida for 2 years but I have to leave Noida as there were not so many option available if you want to change your job. Of course Noida will do better in future but forget about Noida leaving GGN behind. And if you are talking about airport connectivity, if you are staying anywhere in GGN you will reach airport within 30Min which from Noida takes almost 1-1.5 hrs depending on traffic.

Comment

Thats the whole point.An Indian manaing operations of a MNC not only in India but also worldwide operations.There are many such instances.That means the competency or incompetency of Indian Populace is a foregone conclusion.BTW most of indians have got there primary,secondary and graduate level education and in many instances post graduate educaton too in these so called low level educational institute.That does not in any way mean I don't value overseas education.
                India is/was favourable bcoz there is/was an opportunity available to grow.that's it.Businesses find a way to overcome shortcoming be it of the system,product etc.Thats the human ingenuity.
                Regarding whether Gurgaon will keep shining or will loose its sheen as an investment destination is a complex question as we all know.It is not as simple as few/all corporates leaving enmasse for a better/cheaper location.
                Let me put forward a view regarding this.So many of the USA operations were shifted to countries like India/China.Is USA/Europe deserted now.Is there no innovation in those countries or regions or cities.Similarly in case of INDIA/Gurgaon Human ingenuity will make it flourish.And don't forget in the long run India is a domestic consumption story and wat is true for India is true for its cities too.
                I hope I was able to put my view coherently without being too prejudiced.
                I read a lot in this forum but rarely write but please do a favour by not bashing your own country or it institutes.

Comment

gurgaon recently got enough publicity for crime. people are interested in selling their under construction property at gurgaon and looking elsewhere - not sure whether it is noida - but they want to exit gurgaon - for sure

Comment

I just wish that a A-to-B point elevated/tolled road is built starting some where from noida expressway to GGN. It would help Noida,GGN and GN equally and these cities wont depend on Delhi.

Comment

Originally posted by Meghna View Post
                      gurgaon recently got enough publicity for crime. people are interested in selling their under construction property at gurgaon and looking elsewhere - not sure whether it is noida - but they want to exit gurgaon - for sure
                      Though i'm from UP and have RE interest in Noida only and dislike when people from Haryana say that Noida has more crime than GGN just to proved their point.

Actual fact is NCR as whole and all of its parts are equally bad when it comes to crime.

yes for last few weeks we are hearing bad stories about GGN but i still maintain that all NCR area are equally prone to crime.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X