Are you new to the forum?

I have been reading through this forum for quite sometime now and believe me I have read a lot of posts. The interesting thing was that when I joined this forum, I was still deliberating on how much to invest and where to invest. This, let me assure me has been a really good thing for me.

The forum is full of very knowledgeable members who have contributed immensely to the discussions. BUT it is also full of PEOPLE WHOSE FINANCIAL INTERESTS MAY BE DEPENDANT ON YOUR AND MY INVESTMENT DECISIONS! There are investers, end users, brokers, developers (may be) and others.

Each party has a perspective, some are "ethically" correct and some are not. It is difficult to define ethics, but in my opinion any advice which is given without elaborating on the underlying conditions for the advice and having a financial implication (for self at the cost of other party) should be avoided.
Let me take examples of some posts:
Example-1: "I think the resale rates of this property are not very good and only hovering around 3500 psqft". You find very similar posts from multiple sources quoting similar figures. Then you suddenly get a message that one user is ready to buy at xyz price and it sounds fishy! You never know it could be a person trying to a get an investment in resale and trying to bring down the rates and make profit at your expense.
Example-2: "In my opinion this is a good investment because of ...... +ve reasons. However there are ...... -ves and I am aware of that. Also please note that I am already invested here and so my opinions could be biased".
Differet posts with different informations but affecting the investor in very different directions.

So what did I do? Well shouldnt say what I did, but what I would recommend the new members to do:
1) Read through the complete thread: Each post is important, may be not on its own but it adds tremendous value when you read the entire discussion. Many a times we open the latest page of a thread, browse through the last few posts and form opinions. Let me tell you (from my experience), each thread is like a story and you can get the summary only if you read through all the pages. The last few pages may give you some sort of a climax but they will never explain the reasons or the finer points.
2) Understand the "characters" in the story: In each thread you will have members taking positions (some could be neutral/balanced as well). Few posts may bias your opinion about an investment. Read through the thread, try to map what members are saying, check if you find any VERY STRONG SUPPORTERS or VERY STRONG NON-SUPPORTERS who are CONSISTENT in their opinions, try to remove the gibberish and understand the pros and cons of the said investment.
3) Views are not Gospels of truth: Please take each opinion with a pinch of salt. Well, if 5 people asked me to jump out of the window, I wouldnt jump, after all it is my life. Of course I in no way discount the knowledge available here. In truth, you will find more information in one place than any other forum/etc. But at the end of the day it is your money, your investment. PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL and TAKE YOUR DECISIONS ONLY IF YOU YOURSELF ARE CONVINCED and not because you have 50 others who are
convinced.
4) Please avoid new threads unless you have exhausted search: I myself learnt it by mistake. Easiest thing is to create a new thread and post your query. But it does not solve anyone's problem. One, experienced members with good knowledge may not be able to comment on all the threads that are created (specially if there are duplicate ones). Two, it is very much possible that the question you are trying to check is already answered in some post(s) in some thread. Also, you loose on all the
good points/bad points already discussed extensively in the thread. Which brings the point again - Read through the complete thread. And then post queries, they will be more fruitful.
5) "Register today, post now to buy tomorrow" should be avoided: The forum will help you with immense knowledge but it will take time (and huge efforts by lots of experienced members here. After all members are working and this is something extra they are doing for the benefit of all of us). Dont expect to get your queries answered in minutes/hours time. I have very frequently seen posts like "I urgently need advice to buy a plot tomorrow evening. Is this ok?". Guys, even God would be hesitant to answer such questions and morever would you invest in this fasion?
6) There are acronyms and jargons, dont get confused - RE (REal Estate), SPR (Southern Peripheral Road), NPR, NG (New Gurgaon), FF (First Floor), GCX, 3x, 8x, 7x, etc. Again, go through the complete thread most of them will be answered :-). It not you could still ask!
6) Also go through the thread appealing to new real estate investors: https://www.indianrealestateforum.com/forum/city-forums/ncr-real-estate/gurgaon-real-estate/29703-appeal-to-new-buyers-of-real-estate-in-gurgaon-version-2-0?t=31631
It is a good post for new investors and I personally learnt a lot from it.

I hope I am not sounding too rude. The idea was genuinely to help new members get the most out of the information already contained as well as take the information in the right spirit!

Request other respected members to provide their inputs as well.
Read more
7 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Practical and Informative guide to surfing the IREF.

This is how I would sum up your effort. Congratulations and Kudos to sharing a very practical problem and solution that we all go through when we start using IREF to enhance our knowledge.

Every thing you wrote is from your own experience and thats what makes it valuable. Keep sharing ...

Once again a very good post .

All the best !!!

Originally Posted by powergrid

I have been reading through this forum for quite sometime now and believe me I have read a lot of posts. The interesting thing was that when I joined this forum, I was still deliberating on how much to invest and where to invest. This, let me assure me has been a really good thing for me.

The forum is full of very knowledgeable members who have contributed immensely to the discussions. BUT it is also full of PEOPLE WHOSE FINANCIAL INTERESTS MAY BE DEPENDANT ON YOUR AND MY INVESTMENT DECISIONS! There are investers, end users, brokers, developers (may be) and others.

Each party has a perspective, some are "ethically" correct and some are not. It is difficult to define ethics, but in my opinion any advice which is given without elaborating on the underlying conditions for the advice and having a financial implication (for self at the cost of other party) should be avoided.
    Example-1: "I think the resale rates of this property are not very good and only hovering around 3500 psqft". You find very similar posts from multiple sources quoting similar figures. Then you suddenly get a message that one user is ready to buy at xyz price and it sounds fishy! You never know it could be a person trying to a get an investment in resale and trying to bring down the rates and make profit at your expense.
    Example-2: "In my opinion this is a good investment because of ...... +ve reasons. However there are ...... -ves and I am aware of that. Also please note that I am already invested here and so my opinions could be biased".
    Differet posts with different informations but affecting the investor in very different directions.

So what did I do? Well shouldnt say what I did, but what I would recommend the new members to do:
    1) Read through the complete thread: Each post is important, may be not on its own but it adds tremendous value when you read the entire discussion. Many a times we open the latest page of a thread, browse through the last few posts and form opinions. Let me tell you (from my experience), each thread is like a story and you can get the summary only if you read through all the pages. The last few pages may give you some sort of a climax but they will never explain the reasons or the finer points.
    2) Understand the "characters" in the story: In each thread you will have members taking positions (some could be neutral/balanced as well). Few posts may bias your opinion about an investment. Read through the thread, try to map what members are saying, check if you find any VERY STRONG SUPPORTERS or VERY STRONG NON-SUPPORTERS who are CONSISTENT in their opinions, try to remove the gibberish and understand the pros and cons of the said investment.
    3) Views are not Gospels of truth: Please take each opinion with a pinch of salt. Well, if 5 people asked me to jump out of the window, I wouldnt jump, after all it is my life. Of course I in no way discount the knowledge available here. In truth, you will find more information in one place than any other forum/etc. But at the end of the day it is your money, your investment. PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL and TAKE YOUR DECISIONS ONLY IF YOU YOURSELF ARE CONVINCED and not because you have 50 others who are
    convinced.
    4) Please avoid new threads unless you have exhausted search: I myself learnt it by mistake. Easiest thing is to create a new thread and post your query. But it does not solve anyone's problem. One, experienced members with good knowledge may not be able to comment on all the threads that are created (specially if there are duplicate ones). Two, it is very much possible that the question you are trying to check is already answered in some post(s) in some thread. Also, you loose on all the
    good points/bad points already discussed extensively in the thread. Which brings the point again - Read through the complete thread. And then post queries, they will be more fruitful.
    5) "Register today, post now to buy tomorrow" should be avoided: The forum will help you with immense knowledge but it will take time (and huge efforts by lots of experienced members here. After all members are working and this is something extra they are doing for the benefit of all of us). Dont expect to get your queries answered in minutes/hours time. I have very frequently seen posts like "I urgently need advice to buy a plot tomorrow evening. Is this ok?". Guys, even God would be hesitant to answer such questions and morever would you invest in this fasion?
    6) There are acronyms and jargons, dont get confused - RE (REal Estate), SPR (Southern Peripheral Road), NPR, NG (New Gurgaon), FF (First Floor), GCX, 3x, 8x, 7x, etc. Again, go through the complete thread most of them will be answered :-). It not you could still ask!
    6) Also go through the thread appealing to new real estate investors: https://www.indianrealestateforum.com/forum/city-forums/ncr-real-estate/gurgaon-real-estate/29703-appeal-to-new-buyers-of-real-estate-in-gurgaon-version-2-0?t=31631

I hope I am not sounding too rude. The idea was genuinely to help new members get the most out of the information already contained as well as take the information in the right spirit!

CommentQuote
  • Thanks to IREF and the members

Thanks rushil, shkhan, manoja, rockonsv, krazy yuppie for the appreciation and all the others who have made this forum so interesting.

I can say that I am much more informed about RE than I was few months back.

Thanks to all of you.

Originally Posted by rushilarora
    Practical and Informative guide to surfing the IREF.

This is how I would sum up your effort. Congratulations and Kudos to sharing a very practical problem and solution that we all go through when we start using IREF to enhance our knowledge.

Every thing you wrote is from your own experience and thats what makes it valuable. Keep sharing ...

Once again a very good post .

All the best !!!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by powergrid

convinced.

===========

Sab ko senti banaa ke kidhar ja rahe ho mere bhai ? lol. But a good one.
    CommentQuote
  • tulips dude I hope not too many tears :-) hehehe

thanks for the appreciation.

Originally Posted by tulips
    ===========

Sab ko senti banaa ke kidhar ja rahe ho mere bhai ? lol. But a good one.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by powergrid

convinced.

Powergridjee!!

Excellent write up !!! Congrats for that.. Most of the issues you have raised are very valid and common on IREF.
    kudos!! I hope the newbies take out time and read you post, so they know their way here on IREF, although, my experience says that no more than 10% of people who need to read to this will actually read this..Padhenge and tareef karenge the so called seniors.. veterans et al.. who will read it and appreciate it but dont actually need it..

Nonetheless, good effort on your part.. I think you should copy and paste the same post on rushilbhai's thread.. " Appeal to new buyers of gurgaon" as it is a sticky thread and the chances of it getting inactive are much less than this thread.. Just my Pov..

thanks for this good post
    CommentQuote
  • thanks St_Anger,

and i like your idea as well.
    will repost the thread on the rushil's thread.

regards.

Originally Posted by St_Anger
    Powergridjee!!

Excellent write up !!! Congrats for that.. Most of the issues you have raised are very valid and common on IREF.
    kudos!! I hope the newbies take out time and read you post, so they know their way here on IREF, although, my experience says that no more than 10% of people who need to read to this will actually read this..Padhenge and tareef karenge the so called seniors.. veterans et al.. who will read it and appreciate it but dont actually need it..

Nonetheless, good effort on your part.. I think you should copy and paste the same post on rushilbhai's thread.. " Appeal to new buyers of gurgaon" as it is a sticky thread and the chances of it getting inactive are much less than this thread.. Just my Pov..

thanks for this good post
    CommentQuote
  • Nice write up... a good thread to become sticky... because for new members, this thread should be on the top... Just a suggestion..!!
    Thanks for sharing this Powergrid..!
    CommentQuote