I have a question for all learned members here. Please excuse me if it has been discussed before. Why in NCR region, there is no PLC for floor rise; rather PLC for ground floor and lower floors, where as in Mumabi for every floor rise you have to pay extra. Practice in Mumbai is similar to internation locations. Personally I prefer high floors above 8. What is the logic behind demand for low floors in NCR region? Does not low floor mean more pollution, mosquito, insects etc?
Read more
6 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • I would appreciate if somebody can give an answer. Thanks..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by akroutray12
    I would appreciate if somebody can give an answer. Thanks..

NCR has a kothi culture - the higher the floor the cheaper. Putting it the other way round, why would I like to waste time waiting for a lift to arrive and take me to the 14th floor ?
    Mumbai has a sea which is usually visible from the higher floors. In NCR, there is no specific view to be had from the higher floors except perhaps the sun and dust during the day.
    Finally, there are no open spaces in Mumbai, hence lower floors may not receive much sunlight, air whereas NCR has much more extreme weather where the heat season has extremely hot conditions and it may not make sense to be exposed too much to the sun. In Fact, the top most floors command a low premium because of the same reason.

You also should realise, there is considerable threat of Earthquakes in NCR - when the 2004 earthquake struck in GGN the higher floor oscillated more, leading to cracks on the walls of higher floors in a prominent GGN DLF property... so its lot of things.

However, things are changing, with perhaps much better technology in construction and air conditioning today the higher floors are overcoming the handicaps their earlier cousins suffered. I do belive a true delhi wallah still cherishes a lower floor but they are dwindling in nos in changing times.
    CommentQuote
  • Walking upto the 10th floor

Interesting points, specially the earthquake one.

Another reason which I keep hearing from some of the older generation is the threat of elevators not working. It is is tiring to walk up for 10 floors for the elderly. While with power backups available in most of the societies, this possibility is very low nowadays, still people want to reduce this "risk".

Originally Posted by matrix_55
    NCR has a kothi culture - the higher the floor the cheaper. Putting it the other way round, why would I like to waste time waiting for a lift to arrive and take me to the 14th floor ?
    Mumbai has a sea which is usually visible from the higher floors. There is no specific view to be had from the higher floors except perhaps the sun and dust during the day.
    Finally, there is no open spaces in Mumbai, hence lower floors may not receive much sunlight, air whereas NCR has much more extreme weather where the heat season has extremely hot conditions and it may not make sense to be exposed too much to the sun. In Fact, the top floors command a low amount because of the same reason.

You also should realise, there is considerable threat of Earthquakes in NCR - when the 2004 earthquake struck in GGN the higher floor oscillated more, leading to cracks on the walls of higher floors in a prominent GGN DLF property... so its lot of things.

However, things are changing, with perhaps much better technology in construction and air conditioning today the higher floors are overcoming the handicaps their earlier cousins suffered. I do belive a true delhi wallah still cherishes a lower floor but they are dwindling in nos in changing times.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks Matrix for your logical explanation. Sometimes value of property gets more influenced from popular perception rather than users experience. I dont have a first hand experience of staying in high floors in Delhi and cant really comment. But in Mumbai I have stayed in both high floor and low floor and can see so many benefits of staying in high floor in spite of waiting time for lift, like better ventilation, unblocked view, less heat during summer due to non-rediation of heat from ground, very less mosquitos etc. Anyone staying in Delhi in both high floor and low floor can share his experiece? Would really appreciate..

Mumbai has a sea which is usually visible from the higher floors. There is no specific view to be had from the higher floors except perhaps the sun and dust during the day.
    Finally, there is no open spaces in Mumbai, hence lower floors may not receive much sunlight, air whereas NCR has much more extreme weather where the heat season has extremely hot conditions and it may not make sense to be exposed too much to the sun. In Fact, the top floors command a low amount because of the same reason.

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by powergrid
    Interesting points, specially the earthquake one.

Another reason which I keep hearing from some of the older generation is the threat of elevators not working. It is is tiring to walk up for 10 floors for the elderly. While with power backups available in most of the societies, this possibility is very low nowadays, still people want to reduce this "risk".

Yes, you are right, electricity back up, working lifts etc is a concern. If another extended blackout happens and lifts stop working it can crippple a normal family living upfloor. BTW going by your screen name, i guess you'd know all about blackouts

And if builder screws and does not put the high speed lifts its deadly pain. The joke goes - If you come down 30 floors in morning to get the kids to school and find he missed the bottle or a book - you may not be able to fetch it in time for the bus, so better ask for the car keys as well :)
    CommentQuote
  • Good joke on the high speed elevators!

Though I was an electrical engineer long time back, I surrendered that degree for an mba and the screen name has no corelation whatsoever :D

But staying in India, and with experience of last few days, I am sure everyone is already aware of blackouts

Yes, you are right, electricity back up, working lifts etc is a concern. If another extended blackout happens and lifts stop working it can crippple a normal family living upfloor. BTW going by your screen name, i guess you'd know all about blackouts

And if builder screws and does not put the high speed lifts its deadly pain. The joke goes - If you come down 30 floors in morning to get the kids to school and find he missed the bottle or a book - you may not be able to fetch it in time for the bus ;)
    CommentQuote