I live in a ultra small housing society in Sector 51 (54 flats in 1 acre).
Sector 51, A and B Block have very low density. There are only 4 high rise housing societies consisting of around 250 flats.

Then there are some kothis of size 450, 300 and 200 sq mt.

Total dwelling units in A and B Block would be close to 600 units.

There are 2 huge villages nearby, Morna and Hosiarpur in which most of the part time domestic helps live.

In spite of the small number of dwelling units and 2 huge villages, there is a perennial short supply of domestic helps. These domestic helps are constantly poached by neighbors.

Now if we take the recently launched projects in Sector 74, 75, 76, 77 and 78, the number of dwelling units in them would be close to 50,000. Nearly 90 % of these units are 1/2/3 BR and only 10% have a servant room (i.e. 3 BR + Servant or 4 BR + servant). This means that at the most 10 to 20% would have full time domestic helps and the remaining would need services of part time domestic help.

This means that there would be requirement of around 25,000 to 30,000 part time domestic helps after 2-3 years in this area. There are not many urbanised villages around this area and hence domestic helps would be in short supply. Or a lot of domestic helps would migrate to the these villages and the lack of proper infrastructure in these villages would make this area prone to mis-adventures by the migrants.

Quality of life is surely going to suffer in these huge projects.
Read more
9 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by sanjeevchaudhri
    Sector 51, A and B Block have very low density. There are only 4 high rise housing societies consisting of around 250 flats.

There are 2 huge villages nearby, Morna and Hosiarpur in which most of the part time domestic helps live.

In spite of the small number of dwelling units and 2 huge villages, there is a perennial short supply of domestic helps. These domestic helps are constantly poached by neighbors.

Now if we take the recently launched projects in Sector 74, 75, 76, 77 and 78, the number of dwelling units in them would be close to 50,000. Nearly 90 % of these units are 1/2/3 BR and only 10% have a servant room (i.e. 3 BR + Servant or 4 BR + servant). This means that at the most 10 to 20% would have full time domestic helps and the remaining would need services of part time domestic help.

This means that there would be requirement of around 25,000 to 30,000 part time domestic helps after 2-3 years in this area. There are not many urbanised villages around this area and hence domestic helps would be in short supply. Or a lot of domestic helps would migrate to the these villages and the lack of proper infrastructure in these villages would make this area prone to mis-adventures by the migrants.

This presents a business opportunity!!! A new authority can be floated NOKDA - New Okhla Kaamwali Development Authority...
    CommentQuote
  • This is what Urban Planners call as Lopsided Planning.

Development Authorities/ Govt. plan only for middle/upper middle class. Not for poor/ lower sections of society like kaamwali, dhobi, sabjiwala, drivers, maalis and so on...Without these people, we can not manage our daily life.

I wish NA has some low cost mass housing for them so that they too can live and work and support the society.

I guess crime rate is directly related with the productive channelization of resources of these sections.

Originally Posted by sanjeevchaudhri

CommentQuote
  • Domestic Help bhi abhi book karalo :bab (59): . Flat mile na mile baki sab toh ready rahega...

Originally Posted by sanjeevchaudhri

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Basant
    This is what Urban Planners call as Lopsided Planning.

Development Authorities/ Govt. plan only for middle/upper middle class. Not for poor/ lower sections of society like kaamwali, dhobi, sabjiwala, drivers, maalis and so on...Without these people, we can not manage our daily life.

I wish NA has some low cost mass housing for them so that they too can live and work and support the society.

I guess crime rate is directly related with the productive channelization of resources of these sections.

You don't give a shit about whether the authorities are planning for the poor or not. You are only bothered about your own comfort.

Also if the planning were any good the concept of domestic helps in this country would have become obsolete by now.
    CommentQuote
  • Dear Kaeru,

Please keep emotions under control.

There is no harm to be bothered about ur comforts.

FYI the concept of domestic help still exists in the most developed countries like US, off course with relatively higher price.

You should understand such kind of necessites create job or working oppurtunity for many people. This also helps in overall economic envrionment.

Agreed the planning is not very good, but u should understand we are a third world country and we have gained our freedom only about 64 years back.

But u should also know that the NOIDA and G. NOIDA / HUDA authorities have launched many low cost housing at very substaised rates, but usually due to igonrace many people dont knw this.

Originally Posted by Kaeru
    You don't give a shit about whether the authorities are planning for the poor or not. You are only bothered about your own comfort.

Also if the planning were any good the concept of domestic helps in this country would have become obsolete by now.
    CommentQuote
  • Getting maids from the local village is probably an invitation to robbery and worse
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Kaeru

I agree, as the country progress , people should find more productive and profitable work than doing dishes.
    With this, rich people with their own 'apartment', need to buy Dishwashers and good vacuum cleaners to cope.

I wish some day nobody needs to work as a servant in a rich house hold. This concept is close to slavery.....
    Sorry if I have overstated.
    When I was in Noida, I had a maid with 2 school going children, municipal school with no governance, I would expect them to become next generation maids and servants. Sad but a truth
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Seeker123
    I agree, as the country progress , people should find more productive and profitable work than doing dishes.
    With this, rich people with their own 'apartment', need to buy Dishwashers and good vacuum cleaners to cope.

I wish some day nobody needs to work as a servant in a rich house hold. This concept is close to slavery.....
    Sorry if I have overstated.
    When I was in Noida, I had a maid with 2 school going children, municipal school with no governance, I would expect them to become next generation maids and servants. Sad but a truth

I guess you live outside India or so?? The time have changed... they are better be called the helps (definitely not servants or slaves). And if one treats them like servants he better be ready to do jobs by himself.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sanjeevchaudhri

Must say...real far-sightedness....:)

However, i beg to disagree here. As per 2001 census, our approx 73% population live in villages. certainly, there are no growth opportunities available there. This heavy development in Noida will only help these ppl from nearby villages to migrate to these areas.

As far as infrastructure is concerned, the same shall get developed to accomodate these additional headcounts over the period of time...but the job opportunities getting available to these additional 20000+ families (domestic maid, plumber, electrician, milkman, paperwala, dhobi, sabziwala, security guards etc..) will actually add to the development of economy.
    CommentQuote