Hi Guys

I need ur opinion on First Floor. Do you feel, It has security risk as anyone can climb to the balcony.

In case if someone has stayed on first floor , then please share ur experience ...

nibha
Read more
68 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • on most of the kothis people cover backsides of their house completely with very high grill up to 2nd floor. and regarding balconies gate is opened only when you want to get out.similarly, if you keep your balcony gate closed in ground floor flat you wont have much security problem.
    Originally Posted by 2.cents
    what would you do if you are building a house on a plot? I have not seen many houses (independent built on a plt) having grills or any extra security measure to protect balconies from theft etc. Then why bother too much in a gated, secured apartment complex?

and waise there is no end to paranoia, as Venky said, grills become must from first floor onwards for kids security reason !

best regards,
    CommentQuote
  • Recently visited some society in GNoida...many first floors had extended grills in balconies..

I think some clause in LP- BBA does prevent owners from putting things like grill and all in house...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by alokgarg
    on most of the kothis people cover backsides of their house completely with very high grill up to 2nd floor. and regarding balconies gate is opened only when you want to get out.similarly, if you keep your balcony gate closed in ground floor flat you wont have much security problem.

There is an old saying;

You keep your valuables in your bed room.

One needs to cross (break-upon) atleast three doors to reach your bed room.

One compound gate, next grill gate and last being your house door..

These days thief break upon walls and roofs..........doors remain untouched.
    CommentQuote
  • I don't think they can enforce it , If u feel its a security issue , u will do whatever it takes to sort it out ...
    Originally Posted by Ranjit.jha
    Recently visited some society in GNoida...many first floors had extended grills in balconies..
    I think some clause in LP- BBA does prevent owners from putting things like grill and all in house...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Ranjit.jha
    Recently visited some society in GNoida...many first floors had extended grills in balconies..

If you go by one sided BBAs, all that you can do is to live in your flat in as it is condition. For everything else you need builder permission...Pity that you pay for the house but builder dictates everything including transfer/ sale...
    CommentQuote
  • moreover these days builders are giving aluminum gates in the balcony which can be easily broken ...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by alokgarg
    while all the points you mentioned are good, psychology is a big problem in Noida. people still think flats in high rise building risky(anything after 4th floor). price of lower floors appreciate more. this thinking is changing in recent times. I looked for resale apartment in sector 50 before booking in Lotus Panache. except for the topmost floor, difference in price was not much. people are starting to appreciate all the benefits of living at higher floor(especially younger generation).
    in my view, people prefer higher floor in Mumbai because of ocean view in addition to reasons you mentioned.

Mumbai having high rise buildings because of land scarcity. so it is requirement of Mumbai
    V/S
    Despite having larger Land bank, Noida is having high-rise because of builders want to made money.

Mumbai is not seismic sensitive zone , can have high rise
    V/S
    Noida is in seismic zone _IV (zones are I to V), should not have high rise.

Mumbai summer Weather is cooler so high-rise can be remain cool
    V/S
    Noida summer Weather is hotter and more humid.

Suburban of Mumbai does not have high-rise.
    V/S
    Noida being suburban of Delhi Having High rise, while main Delhi city does not have high-rise.(because DDA understand risk of earthquake.)

Mentality is changed by Media, Newspaper of NCR are filled with articles about so called benefits of High-rise.(I think these article are sponsored by builder so that people does not hesitate to buy high rise floor.)

And last see poll result where people book there flat
    http://www.indianrealestateforum.com/noida/t-new-polls-11428.html?highlight=floor
    CommentQuote
  • I can see people say that since NCR falls in seismic jone 4 it very risky to have high rises as it may put risk on your life....but does 4-5 floor building gurantees that during earthquake it will be safe.....earthquake of higher intensity happens with flick of few seconds.....will we have enough time to escape out of house during earthquake if its low rise and say we are in third floor....about heating problem in summer I think except top floor other floors are somewhat similar...I think it better to stay in middle floor say if its 20 floor building than 8-12 floor would be good to stay as it will give you good view of the city as well as it will not be too high and summer heating problem will be somewhat less....what do you say guys...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by bhuwanb
    .....will we have enough time to escape out of house during earthquake if its low rise and say we are in third floor....

how do you compare low rise vs high rise if there WAS a chance/time to escape?

best regards,
    CommentQuote
  • you are only proving what I said before, people in NCR region are not used to high rise residential buildings and there is irrational fear for high buildings. here is my response to your points.

how will builder make more money with high rise building when FAR is same for low and high building. so if its a low rise building there will be less landscaping area. no builder will leave his FAR unused.

and I dont think seismic zone thing makes sense either. japan, California and Taiwan are more earthquake prone then Delhi and they are making a high rise buildings for a long time. you just have to use right technologies. in some cases high rise buildings are more resistant to earthquake as they have steel frames. brick and mortar 2 story houses are more prone to earthquake then a properly constructed high rise building.

DDA not allowing high rise residential in capital is a bone-headed policy which has lead to scarcity of houses and congested colonies in delhi proper and should be changed. there are plenty of commercial high rise in delhi (go to nehru place sometime).

poll doesn't proven anything as I am already conceding people like to live on lower floors.

I don't understand the point about weather. you are saying Mumbai is cooler so building will remain cool and Delhi is hotter so building will be hot. that is true for all buildings whether low or high. what we should find out is , whether higher floor will be hotter then lower floors or not.

Originally Posted by ajay_delhi
    Mumbai having high rise buildings because of land scarcity. so it is requirement of Mumbai
    V/S
    Despite having larger Land bank, Noida is having high-rise because of builders want to made money.

Mumbai is not seismic sensitive zone , can have high rise
    V/S
    Noida is in seismic zone _IV (zones are I to V), should not have high rise.

Mumbai summer Weather is cooler so high-rise can be remain cool
    V/S
    Noida summer Weather is hotter and more humid.

Suburban of Mumbai does not have high-rise.
    V/S
    Noida being suburban of Delhi Having High rise, while main Delhi city does not have high-rise.(because DDA understand risk of earthquake.)

Mentality is changed by Media, Newspaper of NCR are filled with articles about so called benefits of High-rise.(I think these article are sponsored by builder so that people does not hesitate to buy high rise floor.)

And last see poll result where people book there flat
    http://www.indianrealestateforum.com/noida/t-new-polls-11428.html?highlight=floor
    CommentQuote
  • Want to know the pros and cons 1) Which are the best floors to live in a society (building is G+14) wrt security, sunshine etc.2) Which is better - Central park facing or Road facing3) Wooden flooring or normal tile flooring Views invited.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by bhuwanb
    .....earthquake of higher intensity happens with flick of few seconds.....will we have enough time to escape out of house during earthquake if its low rise and say we are in third floor....

There are after-shocks also after the first wave of the earthquake. And the first reaction after the first shock-wave is to exit the building ASAP.
    If its a low rise building and the building survives the first shock wave, the chance of escaping the building using the staircase (as using lifts in case of fire or earthquake is not advisable) in a short span of time is quite bright.

If you are residing in a high rise (14+ floor), it would be next to impossible to escape the building in a short span of time (using staircase) with your family (young children and old parents).
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gaurav1
    Want to know the pros and cons 1) Which are the best floors to live in a society (building is G+14) wrt security, sunshine etc.2) Which is better - Central park facing or Road facing3) Wooden flooring or normal tile flooring Views invited.

All are equally good except first 2 (G and 1st for security, dust, noise reasons) and top 2 (13th and top for heat factor).
    Central park facing suits lower floors while higher floors are better for road facing. Wooden flooring is less durable than normal.
    CommentQuote
  • If wooden floor is less durable..why all these builders keep it as usp of their project....would there be any shortage of sunlight in flat if you are staying in 5th-6th floor of 14th floor building and another similiar tower in front?
    CommentQuote
  • Yes definitely GF and FF are prone to security problems. GF has other problem of water logging during rains. Even though Delhi has been favoring low rise but slowly the trends are changing and we are seeing tall structures being built. Now a days all buildings are coming with more than 15 floors.
    Flats in taller building are more expensive due to the luxury factor.

Some points of comparison-

With low rise

1- I think the buildings are cleaner, less noise less ppl entering and leaving the building.

2-structural design is easier for low rise buildings so less chance of building failure or major structural defects that may result in unsafe building which may need to be taken down lot sooner

3-cheaper maintenance charges on the long run

With high rise

1- Better views if you live on higher floors

2- Better facilities for tenants they may have many services on many floors

3- Well known land mark property

My cousin stays on 24th floor of a 30-floor tower in Mumbai. His house is always cool and windy. He doesnt have to switch on his ACs (3 of them)at all. Wondering why he bought them. Good saving on electricity bills though:)
    CommentQuote