I booked my flat in Arihant Arden in July , and recently went to visit
builder where builder informed me that due to increased FAR he has
increased the balcony sizes by 1.5 Feet in width .

I did some quick calculations and found out the following:

Builder played extremely smart game.

Avg increase in area for all flats is around 55 ( 40 for 895 sq ft and
65 for 1685 sq ft) and all this size increase is in Balconies .
Assuming avg rate at which we booked flat is around 1900Rs

Builder will Gain 1900 * 55 = 104500 ( 96000 in case of 895 sq ft flat
and 1,22,000 in case of 1685sq ft flat) .Though avg cost of
construction for Balcony area would not be more than 200- 250 Rs .

This is not the only cost that will increase there are costs -

Your registration cost will go up by Rs 8000 (if the price is
increased by one lac , registration rate is currently 8% )
Your maintenance cost which will be a recurring cost will go up by
around Rs 1000/year (assuming maintenance rate of 1.5 RS/ft)

So overall we will be paying more amount from our pockets without
getting additional advantage in terms of space utilization,since the
living area remains the same,an increase in balcony size gives us no
utility.

If this increase would have came in term of Room sizes being increase
(living space carpet area) we would have taken it but increasing all
balconies by 1 ft ot 1.5 ft is only impacting on our pockets with no
impact on our living.

Builder considered this as an easiest option to fill his pockets
without increasing his costs.

1st Option for builder would have been an extra floor on each building
which would have marginally increased around 15-20 family only in
society but would have increased builders cost , since he had to bear
all the construction cost for building additional flat.
2 nd option would have been increase in Carpet area of the living
space ie room sizes, but builder wants to avoid that cost , there are
builders who are now giving upto 80% of carpet area.

I visited Mahagun woods who has recently launched its project. I found
his 1545 layout wonderful and calculated its built up to carpet area
ratio which is far better then ours.
http://www.mahagunmywoodss.com/images/1545.jpg

Also Helios ( though in noida) has more than 80% carpet area.
http://sunshinehelios.com/floorplan.html#1
Builder gives various explanation for his actions but none of them are
logical
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What should we do ??

Please give their comment on this issue..

Thanks,
Chandan kumar
Read more
41 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • RE in india is driven by Thumbs up category of business man. they wont understand your mathematical logic.

once one has entered into a project and written a cheque, now customer is bonded slave. just do as what they say.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anubhaviit
    RE in india is driven by Thunbs up category of business man. they wont understand your mathematical logic.

once one has entered into a project and written a cheque, now customer is bonded slave. just do as what they say.

Why you are saying in favour of Builder. This property in NCR region and we can raise this issue it will be highlighted and then may be some thing happen...
    CommentQuote
  • he is not in favor of builder, just describing ground reality(no pun intended). I think best option for you is gather some other people(at least 10-15) who has booked in this project and threaten to cancel. if builder doesn't change his behavior then, cancel your booking and get your total money back(threaten to go to court, media and police at that stage, if he doesn't pay you back your full amount).

going now to court right now will not solve anything, as most the court can order the builder is to return your money with some nominal interest. even this will take along time and effort and dhakkas in court.

Originally Posted by ck.kislay
    Why you are saying in favour of Builder. This property in NCR region and we can raise this issue it will be highlighted and then may be some thing happen...
    CommentQuote
  • Go to Economic Offences Wing (EOW) . They have become real active now & r quite effective.
    CommentQuote
  • legal action
    hope u have not signed builder buyer agrement or not read it properly.
    almost all bba has a clause that super area is subject to variation up to 8%, n charges will be payable by buyer.
    also that no claim, demand , suit shall be raised by buyer in relation to such variation to super area.

in case ur agrement is not mentioning this clause might be some hope of legal action from ur side.

just to calm u down builder is giving that area for ur use.
    there r cases when builder increase super area without any change in carpet area.
    that is our system (bad)
    CommentQuote
  • Or maybe go to some environmental NGO, and convince them to get a stay order against this project on grounds of threat to environment. Then settle your score with builder out of court (guess you will get 2 appt. free).

This is how it works in US. i think with our environment ministry so active these day it should work there too, and its the fastest way to come out of this.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ck.kislay

Thanks,
    Chandan kumar

Hi Chandan,
    Its sad to see that u are in an awkward position. Good thing is that u will get a lot of responses from this forum and some good ideas to take all necessary action possible.
    Some points that u should immediately do are-
    -Write an official letter to builder about your concern detailing your issue.
    -Take legal help of any consultant
    -Immediately write to consumer complaints forum. PM me your details and i can tell u how to do it.

BTW how much money have u already give in % ??
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Munish Malhautra
    Hi Chandan,
    Its sad to see that u are in an awkward position. Good thing is that u will get a lot of responses from this forum and some good ideas to take all necessary action possible.
    Some points that u should immediately do are-
    -Write an official letter to builder about your concern detailing your issue.
    -Take legal help of any consultant
    -Immediately write to consumer complaints forum. PM me your details and i can tell u how to do it.

BTW how much money have u already give in % ??

I had paid 10%. If I cancel my booking then they return back my whole amount.
    CommentQuote
  • Are you sure they will return full amount ??

They are likely to retain 10% of booking amount as earnest money.

CommentQuote
  • In my view - yes you should go to the consumer court.

The court will take a decision saying that the BBA was favouring the builder and the buyer has no alternate.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sonirohit
    In my view - yes you should go to the consumer court.

The court will take a decision saying that the BBA was favouring the builder and the buyer has no alternate.

Very Funny Rohit! I doubt their will be a BBA at this stage anyways.

Dude, when the builder is ready to refund 100% whats all the fuss about... take that 100% and book some place else if u have so much of a problem. But be assured any builder you go to the same will happen... some one will add cupboards... (LB)... some one will increase floors (LP, One Hamlet, LBC) some one will delay construction...so you decide and chose what you want...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vishal1880
    Very Funny Rohit! I doubt their will be a BBA at this stage anyways.

Dude, when the builder is ready to refund 100% whats all the fuss about... take that 100% and book some place else if u have so much of a problem. But be assured any builder you go to the same will happen... some one will add cupboards... (LB)... some one will increase floors (LP, One Hamlet, LBC) some one will delay construction...so you decide and chose what you want...

Hi Vishal,

It makes sense to take money and move out, but the problem is that money was blocked for 4 to 5(july till november considering 1 month extra for builder to return money) months and prices now are being quoted by all builders is atleast 150psf higher, hence the issue is something else here.

Yes if the builder returns the money with 18% interest and gives a good Diwali gift then maybe it makes sense:)
    CommentQuote
  • If u can get back the full refund , go for it , but i have my doubts on whether the builder would indeed refund back the full amount or not.

CommentQuote
  • That's what I will recomend. courts and forums sound good on paper and internet forums, but they are a lot of hassle and take time. If you do not like the direction project is taking, then ask them to return your money. as someone mentioned you will loose 5 month's interest. but you have to decide whether you want to fight for that or you have other important tasks to take care of.
    Originally Posted by MANOJa
    If u can get back the full refund , go for it , but i have my doubts on whether the builder would indeed refund back the full amount or not.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Munish Malhautra
    Hi Vishal,

It makes sense to take money and move out, but the problem is that money was blocked for 4 to 5(july till november considering 1 month extra for builder to return money) months and prices now are being quoted by all builders is atleast 150psf higher, hence the issue is something else here.

Yes if the builder returns the money with 18% interest and gives a good Diwali gift then maybe it makes sense:)

Manish like your profile photo... Dream On :)
    CommentQuote