Hi Guys,

as High Rise living is new in NCR, someone please give a first hand experience of living on higher floors.

1. Are insects less on higher floors? If yes, till which floor insects cause trouble?

2. How much does 1-side, 2-side and 3-side open matter?

3. How shaky is it in windy days?

4. If the view from balconies is green. which floors get the best view?
Read more
23 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by pravinchaudhary
    Hi Guys,

QUOTE]

I would like to comment on this point only -

Top floors shakes in windy conditions ...n when they move ......not only they shake your faith in buying them but also brings you closer to GOD.....bcoz only such experiences makes you realize how close you are from final call (whether anything happens or not).

My Friend in Gurgaon sold his 18th floor apartment at 10 lakhs discount just bcoz after one shaky experience ....his wife n 2 tiny tots refuses to come back in a flat ...she went to her parents house until he sorts out another option.

BTW - they did there research very well before they move into a high rise ....but research is one thing .....first hand experience is another.

What surprises me is this - when you buy a car ...you do test drives of many models/make before you choose one.....but not many does real time home work of living in high rise by doing some real leg work.

Regards
    Sbajaj by doing some real leg work.

Regards
    Sbajaj
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sbajaj
    Originally Posted by pravinchaudhary
    Hi Guys,

QUOTE]

I would like to comment on this point only -

Top floors shakes in windy conditions ...n when they move ......not only they shake your faith in buying them but also brings you closer to GOD.....bcoz only such experiences makes you realize how close you are from final call (whether anything happens or not).

My Friend in Gurgaon sold his 18th floor apartment at 10 lakhs discount just bcoz after one shaky experience ....his wife n 2 tiny tots refuses to come back in a flat ...she went to her parents house until he sorts out another option.

BTW - they did there research very well before they move into a high rise ....but research is one thing .....first hand experience is another.

What surprises me is this - when you buy a car ...you do test drives of many models/make before you choose one.....but not many does real time home work of living in high rise by doing some real leg work.

Regards
    Sbajaj

please tell specifically which floors shake. or for me specifically, will the 10th floor shake?

how to do real time home work? it is not windy in Noida everyday, and when it is, it is difficult to step out of house, forget any research!

How do people buy flats worth crores and stay in skyscrappers then?
    please tell specifically which floors shake. or for me specifically, will the 10th floor shake?

how to do real time home work? it is not windy in Noida everyday, and when it is, it is difficult to step out of house, forget any research!

CommentQuote
    Originally Posted by sbajaj

How to do real time home work ?????????...........gosh if you don't have time then what is the point of writing ?

Just buy .....you will be fine in few years ( either happy or experienced )

:-)))

PS - if possible pick anything between 1st n 7th.

Regards
    Sbajaj

How to do real time home work ?????????...........gosh if you don't have time then what is the point of writing ?

Regards
    Sbajaj
    CommentQuote
  • well regarding view, i believe one gets best view (greenery)till 3rd or max 4th floor.
    CommentQuote
  • A good one , bajaj .

Originally Posted by sbajaj

Regards
    Sbajaj
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sbajaj

Regards
    Sbajaj

I have experience upto 13th floor. Never experienced any shaking due to wind. Wind velocity is much more at heights as compared to near the ground. so you wd experience windy conditions more at heights. Park view is a waste for 13th floor and above as it is too far Down to make any visual pleasure impact on you especially if the park is small.
    I have experience upto 13th floor. Never experienced any shaking due to wind. Wind velocity is much more at heights as compared to near the ground. so you wd experience windy conditions more at heights. Park view is a waste for 13th floor and above as it is too far Down to make any visual pleasure impact on you especially if the park is small.
    CommentQuote
  • 9th floor blues

I have lived on the ground floor and now living on the 9th floor of a building here in Noida, so here are my views:-

Hi Guys,

as High Rise living is new in NCR, someone please give a first hand experience of living on higher floors.

1. Are insects less on higher floors? If yes, till which floor insects cause trouble?

There is no dearth of insects on the 9th floor. I have cockroaches, mosquitoes, flies, lizards, ants, etc. visiting my home on a regular basis. Regular Pest control keeps some of them at bay.

The insects that get attracted to lights are currently our new guests.

Its pretty much the same as my ground floor stay.

I had a 3 side open house in both cases - so not much experience. In my opinion, cross ventilation matters in this case.

Haven't experienced the building shaking due to high winds. Maybe due to the design of the towers (all towers are attached). However, top floors are very windy (sometimes really bad, during dust storms and winters).

If you have greens at least 300m ahead of a 9th floor balcony, you will get a good view. Otherwise, you need to look down from the balcony to see the society park (which looks very small from that height)
    CommentQuote
  • I don't think experiences of one person in one building will apply to all the other buildings. if one building is shaky that doesn't mean all of them will be shaky. people are living in high rises in a lots of places with winds way faster then delhi. my thinking is high rises will be a fact of life in NCR like they are in every metro in few years. there will be good and bad experiences as with everything else in life. there are enough horror stories to pass around for every floor in building.
    CommentQuote
  • It's been weeks - I am still waiting for the answers of my questions which i raised about people experience in "doing some real leg work about High Rises".

:-)

Just BUY.....time bataayega ......iss nacheez ko yaad zaroor karna

:-))

Regards
    Sbajaj
    CommentQuote
  • wondering in case of power/water outage

It seems everything has to be perfect when staying on upper floors (power backup, water supplies, lifts)
    Imagine if someone needs to take 10 ltrs of water on any floor above 3 or 4 and lift not working as no power backup n water completely drained...
    CommentQuote
  • Authority flats are best bet ! low-rise and Never short of water supply and if no water, just collect some from the leaking roofs !!

:bab (59):

Originally Posted by adirulz
    It seems everything has to be perfect when staying on upper floors (power backup, water supplies, lifts)
    Imagine if someone needs to take 10 ltrs of water on any floor above 3 or 4 and lift not working as no power backup n water completely drained...
    CommentQuote
  • I agree :D . on a serious note, there is a reason you are paying such high maintenance fee in these societies. those fees are used to "maintain" the flats.
    Originally Posted by vikky55
    Authority flats are best bet ! low-rise and Never short of water supply and if no water, just collect some from the leaking roofs !!

:bab (59):
    CommentQuote
  • Experienece of Minor Earthquake on 8th Floor

Originally Posted by adirulz

I have lived on 8th floor and have had the horrible experience when a minor earthquake shook NCR/Gurgaon region sometime in 1999/2000.
    Even a minor amplitude of an earthquake can drive life away from body without even building collapse as one goes on higher floors. Everything was shaking and the table/bed were on the verge of toppling. I remember how many 'deathly' thoughts passed by in that 1-2 minute. Unfortunately my 6 year niece who was visiting us first time was horrified to unimaginable degree.

As an advantage, dust was bit low; we were freed of small-time gossips/noise people have on the street/ had relative safety as it is difficult to climb using pipes; the long range view was excellent.
    On the downside, we couldn't call anyone on the street (newspaper raddiwalah/ presswalah) and couldn't communicate generally at the street level, couldn't enjoy the garden in front unless we made efforts to look at it. Since our society was a Railway RWA, the lift maintenance was not great and such occasion of lift failure, my wife had to carry my KG going child to 8thFloor on couple of occasions. The water pressure was comparatively lower.
    CommentQuote
    Hi Guys,

Probably you meant mosquitoes. They are not present at higher floors(unless you breed them inside your home:D) Insects can be at all floors. Keep your kitchen/washroom clean, there won't be any insects.

More than actual benefits/disadvantages of these, users perception decides here. Some pple like 'open' apartment where they can feel cross-ventilation/sunlight etc, they will prefer 3 side open. Someone who likes a closed and packed apartment will go for 1 side open. My personal perference is of 3 side open with facility of heat-insulated glass on every window.

Depends on architecture and structural design of building. We don't face hurricanes in India, but a design flaw can cause wind shakes.

Views from first floor to 5th floor in my opinion. 6-7th could be ok, but greater than that its generally better to go for landscape view(unless some other building in blocking that view).

Apart from these, there are other IMP factors that should be considered.
    Evacuation: Evacuation is generally difficult from higher floors in case of fire/earth quake. Its even more questionable when our local authority capabilities are in doubt(Do NA have fire fighting capabilities for higher floors??).

Moving in-out: Check the dimensions and weight capacity of service lift in the building. Generally we have big almirahs/bed sometimes which doesn't fit into service lifts. Moving-in/out could be tedious in that case.
    Its okay if plan to live there as its a one time activity, but people living on rented apartments may not prefer highter floors.

"Jumping from 20th floor will cause more damage to your body than from a 1st floor:bab (35):": Its more of a psychological fear factor. Some people don't feel comfortable standing in a 20th floor balcony.
    There's no point living in higher floors if family members don't feel safe.

As higher floors are more 'open', we'll feel more heat in summers. This depend on building to building and cannot be generalised. Say if your apartment's 3 walls are exposed to direct sunlight during day, you'll feel more heat compared to an apartment exposed only 1 wall during same time.

Apart from above factors there are advantages too:

If you have more towers around yours, generally you'll feel more open and airy on higher floors. Lower floors are more damp and feels crowded.

No external noise of vehicles, traffic etc, no air pollution either. Generally it's more peaceful than lower floors.

security and privacy: In my opinion, only first 2 floors face this issue, rest are ok.

To me, Its more a matter of personal choice rather than advantage-disadvantage. Unless of course, the building has some design flaws.

Source: Have lived in 12th and 14th floor earlier. Worked on a 28th floor of 40th storey building. Right now in 2nd floor of 12 storey building, asking the management for 11th floor, but refused due to leasing difficulties.
    CommentQuote
  • well advantages or disadvantages.
    high rise is going to stay .
    n will become part of metro culture.

i still remember days were there when our grandma
    were resistent toward use of LPG.that this is not good for health ect ect.
    but now LPG is part of life .

same will be case with high rise.
    but one thing is sure it is there to stay n become part of metro culture.
    CommentQuote