We had many discussions on Higher floor Vs Lower floor living.

Now, lets see for a TOP FLOOR living in a High Rise (at-least 7 story or higher). I saw a similar discussion in Bangalore thread and there was not many input... lets see what our experts here says... and I know we will have better show here.

Generally, most of the people never prefer top floor due to
a. Extreme heat during summer and cold during winter
b. Water leakage during rainy season

<< All the PROS and CONS of higher floor Vs lower floor are always there, we are talking about top floor only, lets not mix up>>

In most of the cases, top floor is sold at a discount and hence the builder invented something special, called Penthouse .. so that they can sell the top floor also in premium.

Living on the top floor may have very subtle advantage like
a. Ego boosting, living at the top
b. No nonsense noise from upper floor, no water/dust/ash/trash dropping from upper floor
c. May be cheaper

So what makes someone to pick up the TOP floor?
Read more
74 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • I have a top eleventh floor in Kolkatta. The allotment was through a draw. Initially I was very upset. But now I feel it was advantageous. Firstly the privacy. Nobody disturbs you. Next is the right of terrace at roof usage . Though it is common for all but mostly used by top floor chaps. I am getting higher rent than lower floors
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by tally120
    I have a top eleventh floor in Kolkatta. The allotment was through a draw. Initially I was very upset. But now I feel it was advantageous. Firstly the privacy. Nobody disturbs you. Next is the right of terrace at roof usage . Though it is common for all but mostly used by top floor chaps. I am getting higher rent than lower floors

Great

Probably except NCR region, people prefer higher floor and pay a substantial premium for it.

Terrace right is a different thing, generally no one is given terrace right like the older DDA flats.

Use of terrace is a nice thing but generally, roof access is locked for most of the high rise building due to safety reason.... jumping is not an issue, mind that your water tank is on your roof!! If someone play with that ... you can imagine.

What about heat and water leakage? any bad or good experience?
    CommentQuote
  • -penhouses are in most cases, considered or developed to be more luxorious.

-Vision is far, you can see entire city from your balcony, Even if you are living in a concrete jungle. no hinderance of tall structures, cos you are already at the top.

-heating effect is there, no doubt, but isnt we people are used to of AC in every room doesnt matter what floor it is.

- i love winter season, so wont mind if its chilling there, in winters.

- You'll always get light,natural air in abundance at top floors. Nobody can overshadow you.

- you can keep an eye on everyone in the society, but not vice-versa.

- Can use stairs to move up to the roof, in a rainy season, or to get sun in winters.

- Lesser pollution, lesser disturbance from the above...(disturbance lene ka nai dene ka.. Lol)... i wonder who throws polythene bags in the park!!!

...cant withstand people above you, then always be on top!!:bab (6):
    CommentQuote
  • I have been living on the top floor of a 17 storey building for sometime now on rent. This has made me resolve that my dream house will always be on the top floor.
    Some pros and cons

Pros
    1. Privacy. Nobody can see you on your balcony. On the lower floors its such a pain when others can see you.
    2. Cleaner air
    3. Best views (only if you are not facing someone elses balcony) The scenes during diwali etc are spectacular. Also, you get to see the sun rise/set on the horizon (I get to see both from my flat :bab (35):)
    4. If its breezy on the ground floor, its windy on the top :bab (45): If its windy below, its story up there. Also, during the summer, loo seems to affect the ground more while on the top floor we could actually keep our windows open.
    5. Clothes dry much faster (benefit of more wind :-) )
    6. No noise from the top (the issue with someone living on top of you)
    7. You are not in the shadow of any building (specially in a multi building complex) hence you get unrestricted sun rays.
    8. Insects etc: Relatively lesser mosquitoes and insects.
    9. Terrace access. In our complex, though its supposed to be locked - its always open on one pretext or the other.

Cons
    1. If building construction is not good: Seepage affects you a lot.
    2. Atleast some of the rooms (which don't have a water tank overhead, or are directly west facing with big windows, will be warmer. I am in Gurgaon and frankly, it has not been that big an issue because its also always windy. A cooler deals with the issue well. It hasn't even been different from a kothi that i used to stay in prior to this. Come to think of it, the kothi first floor is also a top floor - minus massive tanks overhead - hence hotter than a multistorey top floor)
    3. The rain tends to be horizontal rather than vertical. Hence an open window can create havoc in your room :)
    4. Lift density and power backup can be an issue. In our complex, there are 3 lifts for 15 flats (1 1BHK, 8 2BHK and 6 3BHK) and sometimes we have to wait for a minute or two for the lift.
    5. You tend to become slightly lazy with regards to going out for small errands. We end up using home delivery for most services.
    6. If the quality of your windows etc is not good, be prepared for some water leakage into your rooms. We give good business buying putty from the local glass works shop :bab (59):
    7. network. In my 17th floor residence, idea works in two rooms. Vodafone in three and airtel everywhere except the lobbies. This is unique to us-- maynot be a generic issue.

Yes, there are some issues with the top floor, but for me the positives far out weigh the negatives. Now gotta earn more for that penthouse :D
    CommentQuote
  • I must say that we have some wonderful people here .... they sometime goes on hibernate but a single interesting topic is enough to bring them back in action.

Thanks guys for wonderful analysis.
    CommentQuote
  • Very true.. just like to add one more point:

In noida, we dont have PLC on top floors, so you save some bucks there too..
    Builder's delievery quality is something you need to be extra causious on while going for top floors..

Originally Posted by Mikhail
    I have been living on the top floor of a 17 storey building for sometime now on rent. This has made me resolve that my dream house will always be on the top floor.
    Some pros and cons

Pros
    1. Privacy. Nobody can see you on your balcony. On the lower floors its such a pain when others can see you.
    2. Cleaner air
    3. Best views (only if you are not facing someone elses balcony) The scenes during diwali etc are spectacular. Also, you get to see the sun rise/set on the horizon (I get to see both from my flat :bab (35):)
    4. If its breezy on the ground floor, its windy on the top :bab (45): If its windy below, its story up there. Also, during the summer, loo seems to affect the ground more while on the top floor we could actually keep our windows open.
    5. Clothes dry much faster (benefit of more wind :-) )
    6. No noise from the top (the issue with someone living on top of you)
    7. You are not in the shadow of any building (specially in a multi building complex) hence you get unrestricted sun rays.
    8. Insects etc: Relatively lesser mosquitoes and insects.
    9. Terrace access. In our complex, though its supposed to be locked - its always open on one pretext or the other.

Cons
    1. If building construction is not good: Seepage affects you a lot.
    2. Atleast some of the rooms (which don't have a water tank overhead, or are directly west facing with big windows, will be warmer. I am in Gurgaon and frankly, it has not been that big an issue because its also always windy. A cooler deals with the issue well. It hasn't even been different from a kothi that i used to stay in prior to this. Come to think of it, the kothi first floor is also a top floor - minus massive tanks overhead - hence hotter than a multistorey top floor)
    3. The rain tends to be horizontal rather than vertical. Hence an open window can create havoc in your room :)
    4. Lift density and power backup can be an issue. In our complex, there are 3 lifts for 15 flats (1 1BHK, 8 2BHK and 6 3BHK) and sometimes we have to wait for a minute or two for the lift.
    5. You tend to become slightly lazy with regards to going out for small errands. We end up using home delivery for most services.
    6. If the quality of your windows etc is not good, be prepared for some water leakage into your rooms. We give good business buying putty from the local glass works shop :bab (59):
    7. network. In my 17th floor residence, idea works in two rooms. Vodafone in three and airtel everywhere except the lobbies. This is unique to us-- maynot be a generic issue.

Yes, there are some issues with the top floor, but for me the positives far out weigh the negatives. Now gotta earn more for that penthouse :D
    CommentQuote
  • But solely, Depends on individual's personal preferrences, but if you talk about me I always like to be on top floors on priority then lower floors..

Ground floor & Middle floors are something which i dont like...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Unidentified
    But solely, Depends on individual's personal preferrences, but if you talk about me I always like to be on top floors on priority then lower floors..

Ground floor & Middle floors are something which i dont like...

Given a choice between the absolute top floor and a floor below the top floor, which one will you choose and why?
    CommentQuote
  • I LOVE TOP floors with ROOF RIGHT in Builder Floors.

I have two 2nd floor in BUILDER FLOORS which are also TOP MOST floor, I myself living in 2nd floor which is also TOP MOST floor. Honestly I analyze +ive points a lots rather than -ive points while living in TOP MOST floor.

Negative point while living in TOP MOST floor is to face more heat in summers but again this Negative point becomes huge +ive in winter. Most of person say in NCR Winter is very less but situation is not as bad as it looks. See Good weather starts from October and remains till March ie full 6 Month during these 6 month 2 months has Karake Ki Thand and its a luxury to live at TOP MOST floor during these 2 months (December , January). As for (Oct, Nov, Feb, Mar) weather is very good we do not need AC at all at TOP MOST FLOORs and sun light also make the floor pleasant during these 4 months. As for other 6 months yes there is a huge summer and TOP MOST floor face big heats but if we continuous run 3 Star LG AC in 1 room then it hardly increase the AC bill 1500 PM ie maximum extra burden of 9000 per year for 1 room. Now even during these 6 month of summer there are around 40 days when some small rains/big rains/andhi days appears time to time and for such days TOP MOST floors faces much less humidity,good weather, (and some times no need of AC) compare to lower floors. All I am writing as per my own person experience of last 7 years.

Other than above all are only +ive points.

1) Huge benefit of having ROOF RIGHT of 2nd floor, time to time authority give plans to make 3rd floor on ROOF RIGHT of 2nd floor and such announcement make the investment appreciation multi folds. When I lived in Tilak nagar DELHI 9 years before then there was only 2 floor was approved and now authority has approved it up to 3 to 4th floors. and hence person who however purchase 10 years before 2nd TOP MOST floor with roof right at same rate as 1st floor but now getting 50-70% more value then 1st floor at this time. Same plans has also been started here in my areas of TOP MOST FLOORS where I have invested and getting good benefit due to this.

2) Even if authority do not approve complete floors for a long time but still several person make personal terrace garden on their 100 Yard roof (if 2 BHK) with fiber/tin shade (no authority approval needed).

3) Any construction with out linter with the help of fiber sheets / tin shades can be made anytime on roof right without the permission of any authority. Now there are also some agencies who can construct such very good 12 x 12 fiber room in 50K to 70K which has everything.

4) Leakage problem is in Lower floors but not in TOP MOST floors because now builder make Good Multi Layer TOP MOST Linter with 1 extra brick layer + Koltaar layer + Sand layer and hence in new builder floors not a single drop of rain water comes inside TOP MOST floor at all. but in lower floors due to above bathrooms such Leakage problem appears time to time.

5) All other positive points already discuss with other members of this forum and all of them are true.
    CommentQuote
  • Yesterday, the clouds were away and since it had rained- it wasn't hazy. The view was amazing. From palam Vihar in gurgaon i could actually see beyond the highrises of dwarka. The airport clearly visible and I could actually make out a few planes parked. On the horizon the sun set in a misty reddish hue. Beautiful!
    It helped that the missus was in a good mood and we had some chaai and snacks on the balcony.

Will post some pics from home of the various moods of the city-from my balcony :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ondabhai
    Given a choice between the absolute top floor and a floor below the top floor, which one will you choose and why?

A floor below the topmost, will be the ideal choice... it will cut that heating-roof factor with a very minor compromise with the view factor & other benefits as proposed above.

However, if there is a trust in builder's construction quality, & some luxury penhouse features are offered, would not mind in going for the topmost floor.
    CommentQuote
  • i live on the top floor (9th) in purvanchal's sec-93.

Bought in resale..because of terrace rights :). The water tank and common terrace is a separate one.

Thought that I will do gardening etc. on terrace..Never got time for it :(
    Ended up paying huge elec. bills. As AC/Heater needs to ON most of the day and night!. I had taken this into account while buying the top floor (extra cpl of thousands per month). But due to frequent power cuts and backup charges being 12 rs per unit, the extra elec. bill is way way higher:(

But i still like the privacy of top floor. since no other building around is higher than mine :). Infact they are 1 floor less, so even more privacy.
    No noisy overhead neighbours.

Overall mixed experience as I still hope to make good use of my terrace some day :) .

Cheers,
    CommentQuote
  • waiting for the pics..
    Originally Posted by Mikhail
    Yesterday, the clouds were away and since it had rained- it wasn't hazy. The view was amazing. From palam Vihar in gurgaon i could actually see beyond the highrises of dwarka. The airport clearly visible and I could actually make out a few planes parked. On the horizon the sun set in a misty reddish hue. Beautiful!
    It helped that the missus was in a good mood and we had some chaai and snacks on the balcony.

Will post some pics from home of the various moods of the city-from my balcony :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Unidentified
    waiting for the pics..

Let's go to Mikhailbhai's house and see the picture on our mortal eyes along with garma garm pakoda and chai :bab (48):
    Kya bolte ho?
    CommentQuote
  • Count me in !! :-)

I have booked a top floor in lotus zing.

Originally Posted by ondabhai
    Let's go to Mikhailbhai's house and see the picture on our mortal eyes along with garma garm pakoda and chai :bab (48):
    Kya bolte ho?
    CommentQuote