We had many discussions on Higher floor Vs Lower floor living.

Now, lets see for a TOP FLOOR living in a High Rise (at-least 7 story or higher). I saw a similar discussion in Bangalore thread and there was not many input... lets see what our experts here says... and I know we will have better show here.

Generally, most of the people never prefer top floor due to
a. Extreme heat during summer and cold during winter
b. Water leakage during rainy season

<< All the PROS and CONS of higher floor Vs lower floor are always there, we are talking about top floor only, lets not mix up>>

In most of the cases, top floor is sold at a discount and hence the builder invented something special, called Penthouse .. so that they can sell the top floor also in premium.

Living on the top floor may have very subtle advantage like
a. Ego boosting, living at the top
b. No nonsense noise from upper floor, no water/dust/ash/trash dropping from upper floor
c. May be cheaper

So what makes someone to pick up the TOP floor?
Read more
74 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • The two triangular cones in one of the picture is the famous Howrah bridge.

Depends on what YOU like ..

Top floor can just overlook filthy slums and lower floor can just overlook your neighbour's under wear.

Thanks Mikhailbhai, initially I could not see your pictures and later managed to see it. Mine is just casual shot to capture the moment there.
    Attachments:
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by topjobsncr
    ground floor bhi 1 hi hota hai bhai , 50 nahi hote aur unpe preimum bhi hota hai sabse jada aur woh fir bhi bik jate hain .

NCR mai property ke naam per sab kuch bikta hai, population he itne jayda hai. Fact is that all sell either its TOP MOST FLOOR or GROUND FLOOR. In whole NCR there are more than 10 Lac+ BUILDER 2 to 4 floors BUILDINGS (Mostly in Delhi) which has ground floor & top most floor both and if analyze then public is living inside them happily no matter its top most or at ground.
    CommentQuote
  • Thats what I am saying . You can't compare the top floor of a low rise building with a top floor in a 25 storeyed building.

There will be considerable time that a person should be willing to wait in a lift . That is something that is never experienced before because 25 floor storeyed buildings never used to exist till now.

Originally Posted by saurabh2011
    NCR mai property ke naam per sab kuch bikta hai, population he itne jayda hai. Fact is that all sell either its TOP MOST FLOOR or GROUND FLOOR. In whole NCR there are more than 10 Lac+ BUILDER 2 to 4 floors BUILDINGS (Mostly in Delhi) which has ground floor & top most floor both and if analyze then public is living inside them happily no matter its top most or at ground.
    CommentQuote
  • Well , you are happy with you decision to stick to lower floors. Similarly , people like me prefer higher floors in a high rise. Different people have different tastes, that's all.
    CommentQuote
  • Now, you are taking this thread to compare higher floors and lower floors.
    Its about top floor only.

Originally Posted by suavedude
    Well , you are happy with you decision to stick to lower floors. Similarly , people like me prefer higher floors in a high rise. Different people have different tastes, that's all.
    CommentQuote
  • Members, please tell the different uses of terrace which comes with the topmost floor? How best one can utilise the terrace? Has any body used it for generating energy (solar energy)?
    CommentQuote
  • I am surprise to see these pics, I have an old friend of mine, his name is Google.. Even the view from his balcony is very similar to it. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing anyways...but
    I would rather enjoyed a pic which shows your neighbour's underwear lying in the balcony of opposite tower

Originally Posted by Mogammo
    Why not... see below photos from 1st to 3rd floors and analyze yourself
    from where it is more close to nature , earth , pleasant to eyes ,
    and anyone can be recognized easily.
    can you feel such freshness , greenery from 25th floor????
    Don't worry you are always invited to my 3rd floor in my appt...
    Today new NCR societies are better than these photos.

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by cvs9903
    Members, please tell the different uses of terrace which comes with the topmost floor? How best one can utilise the terrace? Has any body used it for generating energy (solar energy)?

You can do anything at your ROOF RIGHT, nobody can stop you even authority. What you can not do without authority permission? you can not construct one more cemented LINTER without authority permission at your ROOF RIGHT, however if authority circulate plan in future then you can pay fee and can take permission to construction one full 2BHK at your Roof Right. I am just copying my own reply of TOP MOST FLOOR WITH ROOF RIGHT.

Originally Posted by saurabh2011
    I LOVE TOP floors with ROOF RIGHT in Builder Floors.

I have two 2nd floor in BUILDER FLOORS which are also TOP MOST floor, I myself living in 2nd floor which is also TOP MOST floor. Honestly I analyze +ive points a lots rather than -ive points while living in TOP MOST floor.

Negative point while living in TOP MOST floor is to face more heat in summers but again this Negative point becomes huge +ive in winter. Most of person say in NCR Winter is very less but situation is not as bad as it looks. See Good weather starts from October and remains till March ie full 6 Month during these 6 month 2 months has Karake Ki Thand and its a luxury to live at TOP MOST floor during these 2 months (December , January). As for (Oct, Nov, Feb, Mar) weather is very good we do not need AC at all at TOP MOST FLOORs and sun light also make the floor pleasant during these 4 months. As for other 6 months yes there is a huge summer and TOP MOST floor face big heats but if we continuous run 3 Star LG AC in 1 room then it hardly increase the AC bill 1500 PM ie maximum extra burden of 9000 per year for 1 room. Now even during these 6 month of summer there are around 40 days when some small rains/big rains/andhi days appears time to time and for such days TOP MOST floors faces much less humidity,good weather, (and some times no need of AC) compare to lower floors. All I am writing as per my own person experience of last 7 years.

Other than above all are only +ive points.

1) Huge benefit of having ROOF RIGHT of 2nd floor, time to time authority give plans to make 3rd floor on ROOF RIGHT of 2nd floor and such announcement make the investment appreciation multi folds. When I lived in Tilak nagar DELHI 9 years before then there was only 2 floor was approved and now authority has approved it up to 3 to 4th floors. and hence person who however purchase 10 years before 2nd TOP MOST floor with roof right at same rate as 1st floor but now getting 50-70% more value then 1st floor at this time. Same plans has also been started here in my areas of TOP MOST FLOORS where I have invested and getting good benefit due to this.

2) Even if authority do not approve complete floors for a long time but still several person make personal terrace garden on their 100 Yard roof (if 2 BHK) with fiber/tin shade (no authority approval needed).

3) Any construction with out linter with the help of fiber sheets / tin shades can be made anytime on roof right without the permission of any authority. Now there are also some agencies who can construct such very good 12 x 12 fiber room in 50K to 70K which has everything.

4) Leakage problem is in Lower floors but not in TOP MOST floors because now builder make Good Multi Layer TOP MOST Linter with 1 extra brick layer + Koltaar layer + Sand layer and hence in new builder floors not a single drop of rain water comes inside TOP MOST floor at all. but in lower floors due to above bathrooms such Leakage problem appears time to time.

5) All other positive points already discuss with other members of this forum and all of them are true.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by cvs9903
    Members, please tell the different uses of terrace which comes with the topmost floor? How best one can utilise the terrace? Has any body used it for generating energy (solar energy)?

IMO, terrace can be best utilized by organizing a beer party once in a week with your near & dear ones..
    Getting High on a high terrace.. what a crazy fun...:bab (4):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Unidentified
    IMO, terrace can be best utilized by organizing a beer party once in a week with your near & dear ones..
    Getting High on a high terrace.. what a crazy fun...:bab (4):

Beer or something from that family ... have few rounds with chatpata and then seat on a tall bar chair and have shutta!!! Normally I don't have shutta but a high balcony, specially the one overlooking a expressway ... it is a great experience.

Smoking (shutta) after few rounds of drink on a high balcony and watching (something dhoondla like that) fast moving car in late night!! It is a great experience!!

One of my flat, which is still under construction ....have a similar views and my brothers and cousins already made their weekends plans!!!
    Make sure your balcony is grilled!!! :bab (48):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ondabhai
    Beer or something from that family ... have few rounds with chatpata and then seat on a tall bar chair and have shutta!!! Normally I don't have shutta but a high balcony, specially the one overlooking a expressway ... it is a great experience.

Smoking (shutta) after few rounds of drink on a high balcony and watching (something dhoondla like that) fast moving car in late night!! It is a great experience!!

One of my flat, which is still under construction ....have a similar views and my brothers and cousins already made their weekends plans!!!
    Make sure your balcony is grilled!!! :bab (48):

Now where is the LIKE button !!
    I have had lots of beer and sutta days on the terrace as a bachelor.
    Lots of gaanja and vodka days in college on the terrace.
    Nowadays, its a place for sweet nothings and short walks with my better half. Ok-- now give us some privacy.. no peeking :bab (45):
    CommentQuote
  • I have lived on the top floor which was only 3rd floor.

One big advantage is your ability to install extra tanks etc easily to make life easier and better. On other floors it takes extra pipe and is difficult to work at heights and needs permission from many people as well as access- mostly it becomes impossible to do what you like on top minus 1 or 2 floor - forget about 15th floor in a 25 floor tower - you have to make do with what builder provides.

I lived in a basic kind of flat and the improvements and extra tanks made a lot of difference.

On the other hand, pressure from the shower is very low on top floor because you are just 2-3 feet below the tank.

Seepage etc is much easier to tackle on top floor - dont have to fight with your upstairs neighbor to get it done, just do it yourself. For fixing seepage top floor is best - it is under your own control.

Not having anyone above you is just great. No noise or disturbance

Only reason I shifted to ground floor was because building had no lift.

Plus ground floor had a garden.

I waited for 4 years with a plan to make a roof garden - never got around to it - except a few pots. Not practical to plan a rood garden - very expensive and danger of seepage.

It gets extra hot in summer and extra cold in winter on top floor. So your AC and heating bills will be a couple of thousand rupees higher - not really a big deal.

Third floor cuts a lot of noise compared to first floor or ground floor.

But going from 3rd to 7th floor increases horn and traffic noise from a distance - paradoxical but true.

I have no idea about 15 or 25 floor noise.

If your top floor (or high floor balcony also) has a view of the terraces on neighboring towers which are shorter than yours, then the view is really ugly (Mogambo gave a good example of ugly view of other peoples terrace in his photo)

Best view is probably top minus 1 or 2 looking at neat facade of your neighboring towers. Best to go for tower facing views in top floors. PArks look like postage stamps in the height - no use for park facing at such height

View outside own colony is probably very ugly - not worth risking under construction booking,

View one can decide in alreay built flat only - by just looking. In a paper plan, no way you can estimate the end product view.

I had a great view of a park from my previous flat - everybody used to admire our view - not easily attainable in Delhi, such a view.

Same kind of third floor flat in different location (my immediate next door neighbor) had view of a tree. Others had view of another building, view of a dirtier park etc - only my flat had a good view in the entire complex.

Cant judge at planning stage.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Unidentified
    I was thinking, nobody is coming with the negatives of top floors in this thread so far. As i was thinking i found my oppurtunity to vent my thoughts..so here it goes in blue:

Having said that , every individual has a own way of looking at things, just trying to show people the other way around.

heheh awesome :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by suavedude
    Yes, you are right Bhai. More people in NCR prefer lower floor still, this is the reason PLC is charged for lower floors. Some new projects in Gurgaon charging PLC for higher floors is trend changer in NCR.

But, let's see how the future evolves :-)

Builders are already charging PLC for higher floors as well in NCR especially in GGN & Noida with extra facilities like separate Health Club, Terrace Garden, separate hig speed elevator etc...so things are changing already and interesting would be to see once its in real
    CommentQuote