Vinod Kothari spotted in Noida!

To a layman, the name would not seem to be of much significance, but people associated with law and corporate finace would raise eyebrows what this man is doing in Noida from all the way from Calcutta?

Vinod Kothari is considered topnotch corporate bankruptcy lawyer in India. One of my colleague spotted him in Noida at yellow chilli restaurant this evening. My curious colleague got him followed.

My colleague called and told about the development. Kothari is found to be operating along with his team from his makeshift office in Cabana Serviced Apartments in Indirapuram.

It is very hard to find who hired him and who he is working for right now. He is working in a very stealth fashion. He wouldn't take any call (I tried to contact him).

Anyway, I will find out by tomorrow who his client is.

Signs are ominous! Wait for few days for the big news!
Read more
64 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Vinod Kothari is esteemed CA, CS, lately LLB and in consulting lawyers panel on Meryll Lynch etc. Having been member of various groups in consulting Government of India, VK is also a visiting Faculty at National University of Juridical Sciences, the no. 2 law college in India, teaching corporate bankruptcy.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by anurag.iitk

To answer your question Satyam was revived couple of years back and that too in record time.

As to the question of SPV not being used by big corporates, I was part of a team where SPV was used for a 32 billion dollar project.

Anurag, Satyam technically was not revived from bankruptcy. Because of the huge implications that involved image of India Inc. and hundreds of thousands of employees involved, Government of India stepped in (bypassing all company laws and protocols), took over the company, and sold it to Mahindra.

Take the case study to any bankruptcy expert in the world and see if he agrees if the company was truly revived from the bankruptcy. It was a Government of India bailout, and it's revival is more scandalous than the downfall of the company itself.

The erstwhile Satyam Computer Services’ new owner and its former auditor may have paid millions to settle lawsuits with investors and regulators in the US, but recompense is nowhere in sight for Indian investors.

What other company do you have in mind which has been revived and restructured by the help of courts?

As to the question of SPV, you are still living in USA, and not coming back to India. Talk to me when you come virtually back to India.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by shridhar
    Vinod Kothari is esteemed CA, CS, lately LLB and in consulting lawyers panel on Meryll Lynch etc. Having been member of various groups in consulting Government of India, VK is also a visiting Faculty at National University of Juridical Sciences, the no. 2 law college in India, teaching corporate bankruptcy.

His website doesn't talk any of these. Even If it were true, I dont understand how his presence (if this too were true) means that companies are going bankrupt. He is primarily a consultant on receivables securitization (as per his website and the books he has published). My first guess would be he is helping companies raising money using receivables securitization. Paras buildtech has recently done this and others may follow suite.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vkumar1
    Anurag, Satyam technically was not revived from bankruptcy. Because of the huge implications that involved image of India Inc. and hundreds of thousands of employees involved, Government of India stepped in (bypassing all company laws and protocols), took over the company, and sold it to Mahindra.

Take the case study to any bankruptcy expert in the world and see if he agrees if the company was truly revived from the bankruptcy. It was a Government of India bailout, and it's revival is more scandalous than the downfall of the company itself.

The erstwhile Satyam Computer Services’ new owner and its former auditor may have paid millions to settle lawsuits with investors and regulators in the US, but recompense is nowhere in sight for Indian investors.

What other company do you have in mind which has been revived and restructured by the help of courts?

As to the question of SPV, you are still living in USA, and not coming back to India. Talk to me when you come virtually back to India.

VKumar Vakil,

I am coming back to India next weekend. Keep your answer prepared by then.
    :bab (59):
    CommentQuote
  • I hope you are not returning just to discuss Vinodh Kothari :bab (59):

Originally Posted by anurag.iitk
    VKumar Vakil,

CommentQuote
    VKumar Vakil,

I think vkumar already answered. ball is in your court now!

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by vkumar1

Satyam case was a bankruptcy case? No way!!

In very simple term ... a big brand, organisation (profitable or not is debatable) and land bank was sold to someone at the expenses of poor investors and probably tax payers money. Who benefited? I need not answer... you know already.

It was a scam ... and it was not anything new. In India, many Government companies are systematically forced to perform badly so that those can be sold to someone at a very cheap rate.... on the process make huge money for few.... the latest in the arena is Air India!!
    CommentQuote
  • I don't know who this Kothari is or what he is doing in Noida? ... probably just having some good time with his GF!!

Keeping that aside, as a good management, all companies always think and work on different line of actions... many options are always kept ready for different kind of probable situations. These options are activated when some triggering event happens.

Depending upon management depth of the companies, they work on multiple options and line of actions. At a point of time, only one line of action will be activated... and many of the proposals will never see the day light.

So I would presume one of the good company is having his service to keep their option ready.... so this company is well prepared and does not loose much time when the triggering event happens.

From an investor perspective, I would say this as a positive development, rather than a negative where the entire investment is at stake.... I would say this is a damage containment plan.
    CommentQuote
  • I guess vkumar is Mr Kothari or his agent.. he is marketing himself in this forum. In case there is no business from real estate companies then he could fight for buyers and appear in news headlines as everybody knows most of fimly news channels are in Noida. :bab (34):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by madgeek
    Not to indulge in idle speculation. Securitisation is something you do when you are close to bankruptcy. ;)

very Weird!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chirag999
    I hope you are not returning just to discuss Vinodh Kothari :bab (59):

Finally the cat is out of the bag...
    It is BMW who hired her ....
    Before the elections even if one builder squeals ,about the 5000 sq. m in cash ...then definitely she will be requiring him.....
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chirag999
    I hope you are not returning just to discuss Vinodh Kothari :bab (59):

:D

Good One! Nahi yaar. As I told earlier also, I am not a US resident. India hi hai apna des. Else why would I book a flat in India. Properties are dirt cheap in US.

Hope we get to hear some good news by then...
    CommentQuote
    His website doesn't talk any of these. Even If it were true, I dont understand how his presence (if this too were true) means that companies are going bankrupt. He is primarily a consultant on receivables securitization (as per his website and the books he has published). My first guess would be he is helping companies raising money using receivables securitization. Paras buildtech has recently done this and others may follow suite.

Thats exactly the point. Vkumar is an attention seeker. He posts things pulled out of his hat, such as all builders are going to be bankrupt (see my earlier post). Then poeple get scared ask him about bankruptcy rules, asking his suggestion. He then feels good and happy to give advice to all us mortals. In the mean time, the original point of posting something random without any facts gets lost. After some time, vkumar starts another thread with another rumor and the cycle repeats.
    CommentQuote
  • Bhai logon, Vinod Kothari apne bhanje ki shaadi mein aaya hua hai Noida. Ab police walon aur vakilo ko tau rishtedaari nibhana bhi mushkil hai, loog tau yehi kahengey ki koi na koi kaand hua hai.
    CommentQuote
  • CommentQuote