I have seen many customers complaining here about builder increasing number of flats. Some increase floors from 14 to 20, some add additional towers, and a few convert some large flats to many smaller ones. Existing buyers feel cheated - "how can the builder do this to me :-( "!

Well, a little homework before purchasing can avoid this shock.

1. FAR is the ratio of total built up area of the project to the plot area. This is fixed by the authority, and is 2.75 at present.

2. FAR never comes down. Always increases. That is why old societies have around 50 flats per acre and newer ones have more than 100.

3. To earn max profit, no builder wastes FAR. He build as much area as legally allowed.

4. Why then do we find builders increasing floors/towers? Coz they did not actually utilise the full FAR when the project was launched. He leftover FAR was of course meant to be launched later. This strategy helps him show a less density while launching project by fooling buyers.

5. So, before buying, ask for documents showing approved calculation of the total FAR. If not given, ask for total number of towers, floors, and flat sizes in each tower. Calculate the total built up area and divide by plot area to get FAR. If it is below the approved value, rest assured that either floors or towers would be added in future. Decide whether you are ok with it.

6. The only way to get a low density project now is to go for a project with large size flats. E.g. lotus 300.

7. This is not fool proof though. Builder can still convert some large flats to a lot of smaller ones. Most would not have a problem with this. If you want to avoid this also, go for a project which does not have phase wise development. When all towers are launched at the same time, naturally some bookings would happen in every tower. Hence it becomes very difficult to change flat size after that.

8. Still one scenario remains. If FAR is increased by the authority before your project is finished, it's your bad luck and the builder's good luck. Most builders keep a provision in the BBA to take advantage of this opportunity. Hence read the BBA before buying, and give it ten times more time than what you give to the fancy and shiny brochure.

I hope this helps. Though this should have been discussed more than one year back :-( .
Read more
10 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Superb knowledgeable facts.... And this is actually happening..... but buyer can not do anything in this regard.... Purchasing Society Flats for Pure Investment POV is getting risky.... when actual resale started then will be interesting to see what will happen actually......
    CommentQuote
  • Sadly in this age of Urbanization increased FAR is the only way out and we have to accept this. And yes Builders are going the extra mile to take advantage of FAR.

With all the high density projects its extremely critical to choose the Builder carefully...Rs 200-300 per sq feet difference is peanuts in the long run. So think twice before booking unless you are a budget buyer. If you can stretch your budget go for the best.... :)

BTW in Noida what are the options for buyers who want to stay in Projects offering density below 100 per acre....I am not talking of the high end luxury projects. I know Purvanchal Royal Park has 91 flats per acre. What are the others? Please list the projects with less than 100 flats per acre...this will help future buyers surely.
    CommentQuote
  • Sunshine helios and prateek stylome have 72/acre. Although prateek stylome is a luxury project, I mentioned as rates are almost same as non luxury projects. Victory crossroads also most probably has a similar density, as flats are large. I don't know about others, so no comments.
    CommentQuote
  • Increasing FAR is not the only way to increase no. of flats. If someone has knowledge about what included in FAR and what not will help.

Example we all know 5 feet balcony is NOT included in FAR. I am writing it for a while that in future NA will not increase FAR but can remove few things like may be a store room or servant room etc/servant toilet.

Then we all will see 1 BHK with Servant room to cash FAR policy. Each builder will build Servant room or infact claim 10x10 room or study as servant room and will add new tower or something else.

This happened in Mahagun Mordene Sec 78. Since Mahagun already giving 5 feet balcony in all projects, after 5 feet balcony not included in FAR they added 3 new tower in original plan.

Mahagun Mordene will be classic combination of flats 1250 sqft to 6000 sqft size. But in newly launched tower Marvilla Club is separate on 16th-17th floor Pool and all stuff.

Meaning people paying 2.4 crore don't need to go Budget class normal club.

In total project no. of flat/acre will be less than 100 due to bigger size flat example this new tower Marvilla has only 54 flats I guess. (2 each floor, total 30 floor and 16th/17th/18th will have Club/swimming pool etc.

Infact the way it planned, other towers facing it will attract Marvilla PLC.
    CommentQuote
  • Yes chandra, valid point. Although I don't think that servent room will be excluded from FAR in future.

Marvella facing PLC is a master stroke man! What do people gain by looking at marvella? May be Inspiration to work hard and earn more!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by fatichar
    Yes chandra, valid point. Although I don't think that servent room will be excluded from FAR in future.

Marvella facing PLC is a master stroke man! What do people gain by looking at marvella? May be Inspiration to work hard and earn more!

Extremely well said...work hard! :)
    CommentQuote
    Yes chandra, valid point. Although I don't think that servent room will be excluded from FAR in future.

Praveen, Marvilla PLC is a joke, I am not serious about PLC. Actually what I am trying to say they are building something special which does not fit in this project. Seems like Mahagun is building 54 flats for NOIDA/G.Noida farmers as they only can buy them.

So looking at Marvilla, we will say " God in next life, I should be born in NOIDA farmer's family who owns lot of land in NOIDA/G.Noida".

Regarding FAR, it's my personnel thought and wait and watch....something like this will happen..
    CommentQuote
  • By the time we are born again, not an inch of farmland would be left in Noida! (assuming we don't die before budhapa, which is very unlikely in Noida :-) )
    CommentQuote

4. Why then do we find builders increasing floors/towers? Coz they did not . Hence read the BBA before buying, and give it ten times more time than what you give to the fancy and shiny brochure.

I hope this helps. Though this should have been discussed more than one year back :-( .

Sound piece of advice. However, in the real world, no builder is ready to accommodate any changes to the BBA, especially to a cash cow clause like variable FAR.

Reading is good mental exercise, but buyers often are in no position to negotiate or push changes to the agreement.
    CommentQuote
  • Builder may not agree to change the BA, but the buyer can at least compare the BBAs of shortlisted projects. This can become one of the several decision making points to consider.

And all builders are not equally rigid. Some would allow minor changes. It also depends on how well the project is selling, i.e. the desperation of the builder.

e.g. in my previous purchase, The Hyde Park, it was written that the builder is free to allow even outsiders in the club. My current project dies not say so in BBA.
    CommentQuote