Dear All,

I need your help and suggestion.

One of my close friend is constructing his dream G+2 kothi. He had given a full contract to a contractor to build the house.

The contractor was building fine but then bad things happened. Contractor was casting the first floor roof and a portion of the roof fell down.

I guess it is important to understand the time of fall. Contractor finished the complete first floor roof casting and after 1/2 days, the supporting bamboos could not take the load and roughly around 200-400sqft of roof fell down. Rest of the roof are intact.

Apshagun is one side but that can be handled differently. Change the contractor is also a different aspects. We are here to look at the Civil Enginnering part of it.

Contractor proposing to remove the affected part and do a recasting.

Now the question is, how to resume work?

Is it OK to remove surrounding area and do a second casting of the fallen area?

How the pillar/columns will be affected?

Is there any need to relook at the pillars?

Any other important aspect to look at?

If you need any additional info, do let me know, I would try to get as much info as possible.

Appreciate your expert advice. Thank you in advance.
Read more
11 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Sorry, I won't be of any help.

1 year back I visited my project, and Mr Daw (of of the promoters) emphasized that they are using iron pipes as support, while neighbouring builders are using ballis (wodden stems). I wondered what benefit would be there. Afterall, a support is a support!
    CommentQuote
  • First… take help from Civil Engineer who has made the house map.. CE will first check quality/ratio of material being used. What time period gap should be there for another roof casting etc etc

If partial roof fell down and it is because of low quality of material than don’t go with contractors advise to carry on work…

If roof fell down because of first floor roof construction was done earlier OR in hurry….??

Also check intension of contractor…Is contractor will take care of this incident part without any cost OR owner has to pay more….

If you remove contractor than new contractor may not take this contract from middle of construction and could ask more money….

But also check with 1-2 contractor’s advice… what could be reasons….. they would sure give idea that “this was not right etc etc”

do check with Beldaar /supervisor/labour privately… who constructed wall/roof… he might give you what is truth and reason of this being experience person…
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by fritolay_ps
    First… take help from Civil Engineer who has made the house map.. CE will first check quality/ratio of material being used. What time period gap should be there for another roof casting etc etc

If partial roof fell down and it is because of low quality of material than don’t go with contractors advise to carry on work…

If roof fell down because of first floor roof construction was done earlier OR in hurry….??

Also check intension of contractor…Is contractor will take care of this incident part without any cost OR owner has to pay more….

If you remove contractor than new contractor may not take this contract from middle of construction and could ask more money….

But also check with 1-2 contractor’s advice… what could be reasons….. they would sure give idea that “this was not right etc etc”

do check with Beldaar /supervisor/labour privately… who constructed wall/roof… he might give you what is truth and reason of this being experience person…

Thanks Fritolay, appreciate your detailed answer and honestly, all these things never came to my mind!! Hats off to you.

The thekedaar claims that the bamboos/danda etc he used to take the load was not enough, could not bear the load and due to that one area collapsed.

True Faticharbhai, now I understand the difference between bamboo and bore-water pipes. Everything helps us to learn new things.
    CommentQuote
  • Try ACC Help !!!!

ACC Help - Build Own Home
    CommentQuote
  • Is the contractor saying "bamboos could not take the load" simply to shift your attention from the fact that he might have used inferior quality of material, poorer ratios of mixing?

Get everything(the material used in beams, casting etc) inspected by a civil engineer(who is your friend and not your contractor's, of course) before moving ahead with any more construction.
    CommentQuote
  • And yeah, changing contractor might not be a good idea because later, the new contractor would shift blame for everything on the old contractor. And your friend would he helpless then.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Thor_samir
    Is the contractor saying "bamboos could not take the load" simply to shift your attention from the fact that he might have used inferior quality of material, poorer ratios of mixing?

Get everything(the material used in beams, casting etc) inspected by a civil engineer(who is your friend and not your contractor's, of course) before moving ahead with any more construction.

Thanks Bro ..)

Yup, the contractor who cuts corner in bamboo will definitely cut corner in other aspects too.

I believe this is not the first building he is making, he should have have put minimum support.
    CommentQuote
  • Any more advice on this matter please?
    CommentQuote
  • Without proper site visit, it would be very difficult to find the fault. One has to be at ground zero, with sufficient experience in handling such things, to pinpoint the cause. Its a blessing that nobody was hurt, else it would have been criminal case and your friend would have been running from pillar to post, trying to save his ass and paying money by sackfulls to the corrupt police and municipal authorities.

ASK HIM TO STOP ALL WORK AT SITE IMMEDIATELY, and remove the contractors men immediatly from there.

Put your own guard till your reach a conclusion on how to move ahead.

Advise him to take the services of a good civil engineer (not an architect) and then move accordingly.

Even if he has to suffer a loss of a few thousand or a lakh or two, he should not think of that at this stage. After all, he has to stay in this house. If God forbid, something of this nature happens, after five yeras, after lets say, a torrential downpour, he will be real sorry. Tell him to take legal recourse also, if necessary, against the contractor. The contractor is playing with lives here !
    CommentQuote
  • Needs to be looked at. If needed - I can refer my contractor

Dont think generic advice can help this case

Originally Posted by gharondabhai
    Dear All,

I need your help and suggestion.

One of my close friend is constructing his dream G+2 kothi. He had given a full contract to a contractor to build the house.

The contractor was building fine but then bad things happened. Contractor was casting the first floor roof and a portion of the roof fell down.

I guess it is important to understand the time of fall. Contractor finished the complete first floor roof casting and after 1/2 days, the supporting bamboos could not take the load and roughly around 200-400sqft of roof fell down. Rest of the roof are intact.

Apshagun is one side but that can be handled differently. Change the contractor is also a different aspects. We are here to look at the Civil Enginnering part of it.

Contractor proposing to remove the affected part and do a recasting.

Now the question is, how to resume work?

Is it OK to remove surrounding area and do a second casting of the fallen area?

How the pillar/columns will be affected?

Is there any need to relook at the pillars?

Any other important aspect to look at?

If you need any additional info, do let me know, I would try to get as much info as possible.

Appreciate your expert advice. Thank you in advance.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by chaalbaaz
    Without proper site visit, it would be very difficult to find the fault. One has to be at ground zero, with sufficient experience in handling such things, to pinpoint the cause. Its a blessing that nobody was hurt, else it would have been criminal case and your friend would have been running from pillar to post, trying to save his ass and paying money by sackfulls to the corrupt police and municipal authorities.

ASK HIM TO STOP ALL WORK AT SITE IMMEDIATELY, and remove the contractors men immediatly from there.

Put your own guard till your reach a conclusion on how to move ahead.

Advise him to take the services of a good civil engineer (not an architect) and then move accordingly.

Even if he has to suffer a loss of a few thousand or a lakh or two, he should not think of that at this stage. After all, he has to stay in this house. If God forbid, something of this nature happens, after five yeras, after lets say, a torrential downpour, he will be real sorry. Tell him to take legal recourse also, if necessary, against the contractor. The contractor is playing with lives here !

very true. works should be supervised by civil engineer and not architects. we have been involved in such projects lately where quality was a concern and works were in a very bad shape. we changed the contractor at one site but retained at the other. it all depends on the current situation. unless seen cannot be decided. people usually ignore the value of a structure and look for good finishes. structure stability is very important.
    CommentQuote