<<Once again, this is a hypothetical case based on my little knowledge about the true blue NRI Businessmen. These people are not your IT onsite fella who share an apartment to increase his $$ savings. Neither those MNC guys, mainly IIM or reputed management school pass outs at their mid career, many are holding senior positions in many well known banks and reputed MNCs.
These are established businessmen in LON, DBX, HKG, SIN, KL, BKK, SYD, MEL. AKL etc. I left US and Canada as I have Zero knowledge of those places but I believe the picture is same there too. These people are not among the top 100 earners in their respective cities like Mittal, Swaraj Paul but they are among the top 10,000 earners in their respective cities. These people generally keep a very low profile and have a very closed network of fellow Indian NRIs. Oh, sorry, these are not your that neighborgood convenience store owner or restaurant owner.

The story equally applies to the big investors (mostly HNIs) in India too>>

This story has just three scenes.

The first scene is generally the office of a NRI businessman. He picks up his phone and call another fellow NRI businessman, who is his buddy for long time. In many a cases, it is like Guru-Shisya kind of relationship or just two old friends who started their humble journey together and seen many ups and downs together. This conversation is generally in their respective mother tounge, not in English.

Ki haal he Chadda? or Manubhai, kya cho? or Patil, kute gela tu? or Shukla, gadhe, kahan gayab ho gaya? or Dada, sanyas hoye gelen naki? or madrasi madrasi di
For next 10 minute they will just talk about everything else in their own language with many revisit to memory lanes and cursing their busy schedule that they were unable to meet in last 3 months!!

Then the caller will move to the main agenda with a very short and crisp details.
Sun(listen), Few days back, I met up with one guy from ABC builder/agency in the temple/club and he got some interesteing proposal.<< This ABC builder must be a top class builder, otherwise all these story will not start at all. Same for the guy too, this guy must look well educated, well mannered, matured and solid knowledge ... absolutely no hawa baazi!!>>

Batao, batao!!

ABC builder (must be branded and well established) will be launching a new residential project in XYZ city.
OK, age badho ..
Builder is well established with proven track record.
Yaad hain? (side track again) what happened last time with marwari's reputed builder? ... another 5 minute to laugh at past experience or mess up!!
Don't worry, this time I had checked with the guy and few of my friends there.
OK, next?
The project is not yet launched, planned to be launched in another 3 months time
OK
Launch rate will be around 3400psf, in 2 months rates will be revised to 3800psf. We have offer at 2800psf all inclusive. No extra charge or no PLC.
OK (a just OK, no excitement at all. unlike small investor, this guy will not jump listening this)
We will get all the premium facings and floors
OK (no change in mood either) What is the actual rate of similar project in that area?
3400-4000
OK
Payment 50% now, and remaining in 4 installments based on progress
OK. rang-birangi?
open for discussion
4 months lock in period from actual launch date.
OK
No restriction in number of transfers and no transfer fees for our next buyer.
OK... land title clear?
Builder long term player hain, should not be an issue, I will ask that fella to check and confirm with evidences. If need be, we will activate my cousin there .. he is running his small law firm there.
Location?
Saleble location hain .. in 2 years time, it will be a hot location. If both of them knows the place then they will talk a bit further on exact location or else saleble and populated are the key aspects. Least bothered about metro hain ki nehin but a proposed metro in next 1-2 years will excite them.

Bechne ka kya hisaab hain? (what about selling?) <<this is a crucial question>>
There will be a tri-party contract with agency and builder. Agency will be responsible to sell the property or else builde will sell.
Nehin bika to?
This is saleable project in a already populated area. Not many projects are there in this category. And, there is demand for this category of projects.

Paise ka kya hisaab? (how to handle money while selling?) <<this is a key aspect>>
This guy will handle it through our usual route.
Our usual route matlab wohi?
Hmm
How reliable is the guy?
Not too sure, in case need be, we will call their India bosses here before deal.
Those guys knows all these?
Check karna padega.

Theek hain, how much can we bring down the price?
As you know, it depends on deal size. if we manage 30+ flat then definitely we can bring it down to 2400 psf.
2000 psf se shuru karo
hmm
Is the project worth buying 30 flat?
Ha ha ha ... then we will rename it to Manubhai Estate!! (on serious note) I am trying to get more information from my other sources there.

OK, kaun kaun hain saath mein?
You 5, me 5 then we will pick up the rest.
(first they will pick up from their very closed circle)
Mehta ko bolo, Dalsukhbhai ko bolo, motabhai ko bolo, Shah milake ho gaya another 8 minimum.
Agarwal aur Goenka ko bhi punch lo nehin to naraz ho jayenge.
OK
Baki marwari tola?
batayenge baad mein unko, agar number poore nehin hua to.
Bangali?
Thik hain, bangali aur us ke woh doost ko bhi punch lo. maaza ayega!!
Sarder? chaddha?
Bilkool, Chadda phekta thoda jyada hain lekin uska business sense tagda hain!!
Bhaiya?
OK
Bihari?
jaane do
Kulkarni, Patil?
Zaroor
Muthu?
Kya tune kis manhoos ka naam liya? yaad hain, pichle bar kya hua tha? ... another 5 minute discussing last mis-adventure with Mr Lungi. Unfortunately, there is a great division between north and south NRIs, sometime very evident and sometime under the carpet. I am talking about traditional businesses, not IT.
Yaar tune aaj ka din hi kharap kar diya us manhoos ka naam leke. I will not do any dhanda(business) today. going home now. (some businessmen are too superstitious)

Yaar, you people never visited us for long time... come for a lunch today.
Abhi? why you want to trouble bhabiji now?
No yaar, we will order food from "Taste of India"
Balli (owner of Taste of India) ko bhi saath le le?
You are too much!! grow up, leave all those chillar parties. At the most will buy 1 unit and apna dimag ka dahi karega.
Come for lunch now and we will discuss further there.

PS > I have no intention to downplay any region or people. Unfortunately, whether you like or not, different people are viewed differently by different communities. If this story was from a south NRI, then the fight would have been between Aiyer, Ayenger, Nadar, Keralite, Nayaar, Gulti, Kannad .. blah blah! Instead of Mr Lungi, Mr Hindi would be the manhoosh. The turban fella is the nuts! Unfortunate but true!!
Please take it lightly and if anyone get offended in anyway, my sincere apologies.

I guess there are atleast few people who are well versed with this group of big investors. Share your experience to make this story more genuine as my views are from outside.

I have tried to capture many key aspects in this story but I am not a story writer, so all editorial mistakes are my own.

<<Will be followed by second session soon .. the lunch meeting>>
Read more
11 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • wow! i loved it gharondabhai.. good job done.. aapane Indians(consumers) ko behtar samajha hai.. chahe wo india me ho ya bahar.. Great wirtting.. true insight.. By the way, why they (NRI chunk) shied away from thier Bihar fellas.. any insight please.. :)

Originally Posted by gharondabhai
    <Agarwal aur Goenka ko bhi punch lo nehin to naraz ho jayenge.
    OK
    Baki marwari tola?
    Bangali?
    Sarder? chaddha?
    Bhaiya?
    OK
    Bihari?
    jaane do
    Kulkarni, Patil?
    Zaroor
    Muthu?
    Kya tune kis manhoos ka naam liya? yaad hain, pichle bar kya hua tha? ...<Agarwal aur Goenka ko bhi punch lo nehin to naraz ho jayenge.
    OK
    Baki marwari tola?
    Bangali?
    Sarder? chaddha?
    Bhaiya?
    OK
    Bihari?
    jaane do
    Kulkarni, Patil?
    Zaroor
    Muthu?
    Kya tune kis manhoos ka naam liya? yaad hain, pichle bar kya hua tha? ...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by pawankp
    wow! i loved it gharondabhai.. good job done.. aapane Indians(consumers) ko behtar samajha hai.. chahe wo india me ho ya bahar.. Great wirtting.. true insight.. By the way, why they (NRI chunk) shied away from thier Bihar fellas.. any insight please.. :)

Just play safe when rest are available .. just a perception. If it was a Bihari NRI businessman then he would have talked the same about a marwadi and favored his own clans .. it just happens!!
    :bab (48):
    CommentQuote
  • If you (any group of people) buy 50 flats of say Rs 25 Lacs each with 50% down payment, then builder will be pleased to send his sales guy (middle level manager) to your country to close the deal ASAP. There will be no need to further deal with the guy you met with in the temple/club.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ThePunjabi
    If you (any group of people) buy 50 flats of say Rs 25 Lacs each with 50% down payment, then builder will be pleased to send his sales guy (middle level manager) to your country to close the deal ASAP. There will be no need to further deal with the guy you met with in the temple/club.

Punjabibhai, you need some intelligent executive at the middle, whom you feel so comfortable, like your private banker. Does not matter whether the guy is from builder or agency .. you will have direct access to all the big shots in the builder but you still prefer to get the things done through the executive ... there are reasons.... it's not about buying ... it's about reaping benifits of the investments.
    CommentQuote
  • <<The second part of the scene>>

The second part is very short.

It's all about khana and gappe. One businessman once asked about the proposal "Haan motabhai, you were talking about some proposal?"

Host Bhabiji : Now I understand why this lunch so suddenly. You people always talk about business, atleast don't talk about business at home and when we have guests. Chal Hetal (guest bhabiji), we go to other room, let them eat and do business!!

Now this is crisis and emergency ... all proposal gaye tel lene!!

So they resume eating and gappe

After the khana and gappe

Guest : OK, I think the proposal is great. I will call this side people and arrange to meet up on Friday evening at club
    Host : I will call the rest.. if this Friday evening is not suitable then we will make it next Friday.
    Guest : Don't call the guy now.

OK .. bye bye

Chalo Hetal!!

<<Will be followed by final part, probably tomorrow are later>>
    CommentQuote
  • Hypothetical Bhai... good going on all cases
    CommentQuote
  • One request - Already the story have too many generalizations... Please do not make the ending NARROW.... If the ending is like "nri are fools who invest without visiting or appropriate due diligence ", then all this exercise would be useless... No need to blame just NRIs then, many in India too fail to investigate properly...

I am following this more from the view- how large money distorts the market..

Totally supportive of the story format as it nails the message very deep in the mind of the readers...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by srindie
    "nri are fools who invest without visiting or appropriate due diligence "

These group of NRIs are shrewed businessmen. It is not so easy to run any business successfully in a foriegn country for a long time, that too in traditional businesses.
    If you read the first post properly, you would have noticed the few key questions these people ask, which is completely different from chillar investors like floor plan, layout, color of tiles!!
    And the important factor is mutual TRUST, it's a closed knit community.

Wait for the final session ... I am yet to prepare mood to write that session.

CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gharondabhai

change ur name to Gharonda Akhtar:D (Inspired by Javed Akhtar)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gharondabhai
    These group of NRIs are shrewed businessmen. It is not so easy to run any business successfully in a foriegn country for a long time, that too in traditional businesses.
    If you read the first post properly, you would have noticed the few key questions these people ask, which is completely different from chillar investors like floor plan, layout, color of tiles!!
    And the important factor is mutual TRUST, it's a closed knit community.

high profile NRI broker can add to this story...he seems busy with SP
    CommentQuote
  • NRIs planning to invest in India? Get the best ideas on Investment opportunities available from the best in the industry https://www./HexagonWealth
    CommentQuote