Confession of Failed RE Predictions :-(

Last updated: March 15 2012
110 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Confession of Failed RE Predictions :-(

failed RE predictions

In 2002, I was working in US and was about to purchase DLF apartment in Gurgaon and there were several new launches (silver oaks, carlton...can't remember all) around Rs.1100-1300 per sq ft. A 3000 sq ft flat around Rs.38 lakhs. Sheer reluctance without any reason...kaun jayee gurgaon...do i really need it...and now same thing for over 3 crores :-(

Now I am going to deviate a bit and also like to highlight few factors that bring in pessimism while making decisions in life -

1. Surprisingly, and pls don't get offended, it may be your very close family members - your mom, your dad, your brother, sister...family members negative advice is even more pronounced in middle class families. What do you think a middle class family will advise if a kid says - I want to be a cricketer or singer, I want to start my business, and I want to buy apt/plot which is slightly overpriced but may be a good bet...answers - No, No, and No. Worst are the doom scenarios painted...I got sold on one which is funny - dekho, delhi ka water table fall kar raha hai aur gurgaon mein to paani hai hi nahin...ab level ho gaya hai 40 foot...40 foot and one engineer bhai postulated that when water table falls, two layers of land mass come close to each other and all highrises will fall flat and that was enough to convince me to not buy DLF at Rs.1200 per sq ft.

2. Overanalysis - why do you think property dealers have only a 'paper weight' on their table and no papers or computers and no education...it is just to prevent them from analysis paralysis:-)

anyways, just my thoughts but do spend some time and think of the role played by your near and dear loved ones in turning you to a pessimist and missing out on great opportunities. don't hate them as their intentions were never bad for you :-)

Comment

All of you are regretting for not investing. I'm the one who invested in Gurgaon just in right time - in 2008 - AJS Gurgaon (Hill view apartment). Total investment Rs 10 lacs...Now the flat agreement is biting the dust. Buider is enjoying food of Tihar Jail. And I'm wiping my tears

Comment

Originally posted by shrek2011 View Post
        In 2002, I was working in US and was about to purchase DLF apartment in Gurgaon and there were several new launches (silver oaks, carlton...can't remember all) around Rs.1100-1300 per sq ft. A 3000 sq ft flat around Rs.38 lakhs. Sheer reluctance without any reason...kaun jayee gurgaon...do i really need it...and now same thing for over 3 crores :-(

Now I am going to deviate a bit and also like to highlight few factors that bring in pessimism while making decisions in life -

1. Surprisingly, and pls don't get offended, it may be your very close family members - your mom, your dad, your brother, sister...family members negative advice is even more pronounced in middle class families. What do you think a middle class family will advise if a kid says - I want to be a cricketer or singer, I want to start my business, and I want to buy apt/plot which is slightly overpriced but may be a good bet...answers - No, No, and No. Worst are the doom scenarios painted...I got sold on one which is funny - dekho, delhi ka water table fall kar raha hai aur gurgaon mein to paani hai hi nahin...ab level ho gaya hai 40 foot...40 foot and one engineer bhai postulated that when water table falls, two layers of land mass come close to each other and all highrises will fall flat and that was enough to convince me to not buy DLF at Rs.1200 per sq ft.

2. Overanalysis - why do you think property dealers have only a 'paper weight' on their table and no papers or computers and no education...it is just to prevent them from analysis paralysis:-)

anyways, just my thoughts but do spend some time and think of the role played by your near and dear loved ones in turning you to a pessimist and missing out on great opportunities. don't hate them as their intentions were never bad for you :-)
        hmm...nice analysis...
        but i have a different perspective....
        blame it on destiny...you were not destined to buy in gurgaon at that time in 2002, and that is why things (like parents discouraging you etc. ) turned out to be not favorable for you.
        destiny has a great role to play...agar tab aapke parents aapko discourage nahin karte, to koi aur karta...important thing to note is "you were not destined to buy in gurgaon in 2002"...

so, why repent what you could have done.
        may be you were destined to get a lesson for making better decisions in future. blame it on your past karma...

lets not focus on "why this happened", and focus on "what can happen now"...
        I'll take my example....even i had similar instances of not investing at different places, when i was a kid. i used to push my parents a lot..and it never happened...

and now I earn decent money, and can afford to buy a house, without asking anyone...
        and that is what i did now...no matter what people said around me...to discourage me from not buying....but since i am not dependent on anyone and i can take my own decisions...i took this bold decision to buy a flat for myself now...

so its all destiny my friend...
        kismat aur waqt se pehle kisi ko kuch nahin milta...
        Last edited March 9 2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Fully agree ..)

First question "Kaun rahega wahan?"
          Second question "Kaun jayega dekhvaal kar ne ke liye?"
          Third question "Kya zaruraat hain?"
          Fourth advice "Khoshla ka Ghosla dekha hain ki nehin?"

Also agree to over analysis ... absolutely no analysis works for RE then why we think so much. Just check the basics and then uparwale bharosa!! Just do it.

Comment

Very true, we had similar discussions saying Noida gundoon ka area hai, gurgaon is too far and water scarcity in Ggn etc...but I think it's like shaadi ka ladoo, better eat and regret rather than regretting ' I should have done that'
            If thou wilt make a happy man, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires

Comment

Originally posted by victors View Post
              hmm...nice analysis...
              but i have a different perspective....
              blame it on destiny...you were not destined to buy in gurgaon at that time in 2002, and that is why things (like parents discouraging you etc. ) turned out to be not favorable for you.
              destiny has a great role to play...agar tab aapke parents aapko discourage nahin karte, to koi aur karta...important thing to note is "you were not destined to buy in gurgaon in 2002"...

so its all destiny my friend...
              kismat aur waqt se zyada kisi ko kuch nahin milta...
              No disagreement but people has two options

1. Do something and then thank/blame destiny

2. Do nothing and then thank/blame destiny

Choice is yours

Comment

Good to meet you...

shrek,
                And I thought that I am the only fool in the town!! Anyway, Good to meet you

'LIVE FOR INDIA'

Comment

Originally posted by gharondabhai View Post
                  No disagreement but people has two options

1. Do something and then thank/blame destiny

2. Do nothing and then thank/blame destiny

Choice is yours
                  in order to thank/blame destiny, there has to be something...
                  kuch fal paane ke liye, karm karne zaroori hai...
                  kya kabhi ghar baithe baithe kuch mil sakta hai...
                  bhagwaan bhi unhi ka saath dete hain....jo khud ka saath dete hain...
                  if there is no karma....there is no blame/thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by victors View Post
                    in order to thank/blame destiny, there has to be something...
                    kuch fal paane ke liye, karm karne zaroori hai...
                    kya kabhi ghar baithe baithe kuch mil sakta hai...
                    bhagwaan bhi unhi ka saath dete hain....jo khud ka saath dete hain...
                    if there is no karma....there is no blame/thank you.
                    You fall in first category ..)

Comment

confessions of failed predictions

I think the real culprit is FEAR. Once Fear is entrenched in your mind, your next few generations are guaranteed to be mediocre. Fear is a not a good friend for a investing mind. And middle class mind is full of fear and probably for the right reasons. not sure how many of you have read book called 'rich dad, poor dad'....it basically preaches one to get out of a saver mindset and become an investor. With all good intentions, middle class families unfortunately pass on a fearful mindset to their kids and these are the values that the rich, business class is trying to stay away from as mentioned by Zohaib and clearly demonstrated by purchase decisions of rich class. Just look around and if you are a middle class person, you will sense fear in your living room....in your apartment. All I am trying to say is just be cognizant of the Fear around...not to blame your destiny or your parents. Most of us have several years ahead and lots of $$$ to be made but it is this twist in philosophy from fearful to fearless that is required.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X