"GAMES BUILDERS PLAY"! This may look like the title of a book, but, I believe this is the most relevant to this forum. I am starting this thread especially to increase the knowlegebase of the esteemed members of this forum, who, during their lifetime, must have encountered the special tricks and games played by their builders they could never ever have imagined in their dreams. I myself am victim and will present here the case so that the members could benefit from my experience, while doing transactions in future.

I request all members to kindly share there "tricky encounters" with the builders games. Let me experience my "first to be disclosed" experience here (I will post more experiences later):

This Friday, I was in Supertech office and saw a gentleman arguing with the account manager angrily. When the gentleman left, I went to the manager and asked him what the argument was about. He told me it was about the penalty interest of his late payment. I asked him why he was so angry.

Account Manager told me his last payment was due march 20th, and he deposited the cheque on 21st, and therefore he has been charged the interest for 21 days. I asked why 21 days, when he was late by 1 day only? He said the demand letter was issued on 1st, his last date was 20th, and 20 days time we give to deposit is just a grace period - and if you get late by even one day - you lose the "grace" period also, so you have to deposit the interest penalty from the date the demand was issued!

I was surprised, and said it was unethical! Account Manager laughed, and said "aap toe chhoti si baat pe pareshaan ho gay kumar saab, abhi toe aap pareshan naa ho, abhi toe aap ko bhi hairaan karne ki baari aayegi, fir bataayenge. Aaiye, coffe peete hain". (Account Manager is my friend). I was amazed by his words of doing "hairaan" to me. I went with him to the canteen for the coffee.

While taking coffee, with my stomach still upset with his "hairaan to me" words, I asked him: "ab bataoo hamein kya hairaan karne ka plan hai"?

Manager told me candidly:" abhi toe aap arora saab ke khaas hain, sab ke din firte aur ladte hain, jab aap ke din lad jayenge, toe arora saab aap ki bhi file khulwaa deinge. Interest toe aap pe bhi bantaa hai... ha ha ha!"

I was astonished. It was outrageous! Angrily, I asked him how it was possible. I never did a late payment?

Manager told me: "when you did booking, you paid one lac as token amount. balance was paid at the time of agreement after three months. Therefore, the difference amount between the token money and the booking amount will bear the interest for three months. And, we run the penalty interest account different from the installment payments account, and never tell the customer about that interest account until needed. Yeh jo banda abhi gaya hai, yeh siyana ban raha thaa, toe maine ise thoka! Hamne har bande ka hisaab banaya hua hai - jo hoshiyar banta hai - thuktaa hai!

he he he... arora ji toe aap se abhi khush hain, naraaz mat karna unhein kabhi. Nahin toe aap ki bhi file khol ke aap ko 2-3 lakh rupaye ka bill bhej deinge! ha ha ha...

I was dumbfolded. I just said to myself let this idiot amuse himself. When arora ji opens my file, I will tell arora ji "arora ji, aap apni file ka bhi thoda khyaal rakho...kahin wo naa khul jaaye..."
Read more
21 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Thanks for sharing Paul bro.

Even I am going to check with my developer if they are following the same unethical practice.
    CommentQuote
  • What the hell... Yeh builders hain ya kasai?
    Tabhi toh C class kehlate hain!!

Earning is not everything in life... Paisa toh ethical rehkar bhi kamaya ja sakta hai...

Really shocking...
    CommentQuote
  • Precisely .. I had told many a times.

Builders are in general not that bad. They behave quite reasonably with reasonable people. If you go in a positive note to address issues, they try to sort the issue for you. Waving interest charge is very very common.

However, they take it too seriously if you want to play smart with them. If you think you are smart .. they are the ugliest.

And this thing works in every field. I was once heading a service team of a state and we used to replace big items like TV/Fridge for the good customers ... however, we were very strict for the "seyana" people.. even their entire TV is faulty, we will send oour junior most technician to PATCH up .. I enjoyed that and I believe most of the people does that.

People behave like a mirror ... mostly
    CommentQuote
  • Spot on Guruji.......

Originally Posted by gharondabhai
    Precisely .. I had told many a times.

Builders are in general not that bad. They behave quite reasonably with reasonable people. If you go in a positive note to address issues, they try to sort the issue for you. Waving interest charge is very very common.

However, they take it too seriously if you want to play smart with them. If you think you are smart .. they are the ugliest.

And this thing works in every field. I was once heading a service team of a state and we used to replace big items like TV/Fridge for the good customers ... however, we were very strict for the "seyana" people.. even their entire TV is faulty, we will send oour junior most technician to PATCH up .. I enjoyed that and I believe most of the people does that.

People behave like a mirror ... mostly
    CommentQuote
  • Baap re... even I paid late 3-4 of times.. and infact once sent wrong check which got bounched then paid again....after a month delay...

PAN realtors is going to deliver my flat by year end.. mean another 8 month... let's see... so far did not pay any penalty...
    But scared after reading all these...

As when I visited their office last time, their sales manager was giving me GOLI... I took his class and told bhai.. hum bhi private job kerte hai.. aur roz goli dete hai...

Actually he was not ready to send on paper what he was telling me...

Then he asked how you give GOLI ? I told like you are giving to me...

I told him, I don't have any problem that you are giving me GOLI.. but just let you know that I know that... but don't blame or question you because you are just an employee like me working for salary...
    CommentQuote
  • Donot forget....

Builders have a Team of Highly Paid Lawyers and an equally strong team of Goons in their pockets 24 X 7

Police, Netas, Goons, Lawyers....are all with Builders...not occasionally...but 24 X 7

Inke saath Over smart banoge...to kucch nahin milega.....they can tell you openly
    "Jo Ukhaadna hai..Ukhaad Lo"....and you wont be able to do anything.

BUT ITS VERY MUCH POSSIBLE TO GET THE WORK DONE "SMARTLY"

Its very important that when you book your flat for end use...you buy it through a senior management person..and remain in touch with him Later on....simple things like diwali wishes...occasional hi and hello....just to be in his memory helps a lot....if ever you need any help

When you are a buyer....even the VP will be willing to meet you....
    Once you have BOUGHT.....then no senior official would be interested to meet you

Its Simple PR...nothing else...
    CommentQuote
  • I disagree about syanapanti. Though I don't have have personal experience with these builders (I avoid these vermins just as much as sarkari babus), I can say from the experience of my friends that the only way to deal with them is thru danda, if you can arrange it.
    One of my friend used the danda of a big sarkari babu to brought a builder to his knees. My another friend used the legal danda to make builder compromise on interest component.

If you are honest and straightforward (like AK Hungal), these builders will screw you. You have to be syana and powerful to deal with these chores.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by jaijai
    I disagree about syanapanti. Though I don't have have personal experience with these builders (I avoid these vermins just as much as sarkari babus), I can say from the experience of my friends that the only way to deal with them is thru danda, if you can arrange it.
    One of my friend used the danda of a big sarkari babu to brought a builder to his knees. My another friend used the legal danda to make builder compromise on interest component.

If you are honest and straightforward (like AK Hungal), these builders will screw you. You have to be syana and powerful to deal with these chores.

JUGAD is always exception.

If the jugad was a "SMALL sarkari babu" then the situation could have been completely reversed.

A very interesting case in this topic is

http://www.indianrealestateforum.com/kolkata/t-court-orders-police-investigation-against-merlin-projects-ltd-union-bank-india-7483.html
    CommentQuote
  • in builders se nipatne ke liye chanakya neeti apnani chahiye (i.e) : sam , dam , dand , bhed ..
    Sam ( samjhakr ) ..: iss duniya mein 75% cases ko samjha bhujakr ka solve kia ja sakta hai humesha " ghee tedhi ungli krke ni nikalna chahiye kabi kabi ungli bi fas sakti hai " ..
    Dam : again with the help of top level employees kuch le dekar mamle ko rafa dafa krne ki koshish krni chahiye ..
    dand : civil war in this case .. But it is suggested only in case u have lot of free time and have deep pockets .. u could file a cheating case agaist builder take them to the media and seeing that the reputation is going down chances are high that builder would then agree for a compromise ..
    Bhed : use other builders power or the enemies of builders approach them they would if not directly help you could help u in monetary or political power terms to settle there personal scores with that builder ( but u have to do an indepth research for this ) ...
    CommentQuote
  • What is "syana" by the way?

When do buyers get a chance to be syana with builders? It is builders' will all the way right from signing of agreement to accepting possession. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. If any body dare to ask questions, builders term them syana and punish them for their diligence. If you accept malpractices knowingly then it is pure collusion or meekness (most buyers are like that only). Having good relations help only to certain extent. Beyond that no builder will entertain you if you start questions about basic things like construction quality.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by gharondabhai
    Precisely .. I had told many a times.

Not Supertech, gharondabhai

They are doing it all the time, ask any buyer who had taken possession from them. Supertech maintains most efficient accounting mechanism to calculate the interest charges and they rarely wave it off without a big "danda".
    CommentQuote
  • One other issue related with late payment is builder's penalty payment to the customer in case the possession is delayed.

Most of the BBAs have a clause which clearly states that builder don't owe you any penalty if you were ever late in making payments. Well, all they have to do is some how prove that you were ever late before in 10-15 installments you had made so far. This could be your check didn't clear on time to your courier was late etc etc..
    CommentQuote
  • I would like to add one more thing ---> If builder is offering you anything , that you will get this many parkings , and you will get one swimming pool and stuff.........don't go by the brouchre ask him to either include it in you BBA or ask him to give an official letter stating all the details.............in my case builder was offering one free parking at the time of booking to all the people booking. I somehow put a condition that give this to me in written, after saying a lot like ji sabko milegi to apko bhi milegi, he finally gave me the letter..........now he is saying that only to those whom he has given in writing the parking will be given and to nobody else.......................
    CommentQuote
  • Some what i agree, Always ask builder to give things in writing, I am not sure about other builders, I have one unit in Jaypee and in all demand letter they mentiond what is total interest due till date that too on official letter head sent by jaypee Itself.

Stop this compromise thing, I know in India Policies are not customer friendly but still atleast first option should always be a fight instead giving up......
    CommentQuote
  • What all things buyer should ask for while getting the BBA signed?? couple of things I can think of....
    Parking..
    Club Membership...
    Access and Use of Recreational Area...

please can someone provide a complete list.... as what all access and uses are available for us.... Is it possible if builder has shown swimming pool, lawn-tennis, badminton, GYM etc in it's club house.... and at the time of possesion they can say that only swimming and GYM was included in your membership and for other activities... wehave to pay separately???

how can we get a surity of all above? pls advise.
    CommentQuote