Hi All,
I was in USA for about 7 weeks and just came in last week. Lived in East coast and then in west coast.

1. Price in east coast area ie Virginia, Maryland and some parts of washington were real worth it today if someone is willing to INVEST 50Lacs in India, he/she must look at the above options. You get a good condo/ aptt for USD 80-100K which will have excellent facilities like central HVAC, club services, Hot and Cold water, great maintainence, great carpeted flooring and interiors. To top it you can expect a rental return of ~USD 1000 per month, considering if it is a ~ 1000sqft flat. you are getting a return of 12-14% per month plus the biggest factor is SECURE DEALING on paper with white money.

2. Now if someone wants to buy a bigger property that is termed as a town house, i was amazed to town houses price at USD 350-500K viz 1.5cr- to 2.5cr, what you get is atleast 500 sqmtr of plot with excellent construction on basement, GF, FF, with total construction of atleast 3000-4000 sqft. This means that you are only occupying 30% space on plot an you have a backyard of atleast 3500sqft or 400sqyard. Interiors and services are exceptional, rental for this property is atleast USD 3000-4000pm. Meaning a 12% return. In India you would spend this money on interiors of a just a 400sqyard house.

now compare what you get in India for 1.5-2.5cr, max a bare plot of 150-200sqrmtr:D:D:D, the rental you get here is peanuts, rental return is not more than 2%.

On the west coast especially silicon valley, keeping all the above paramaters similar, prices are 3x higher and rental yield is also around 8% viz still good.

All in all it makes sense to look at investing money in US(if you have some relative it is even better), as the govt now allows people to Indians to invest there.

I understand appreciation is better in India but that is due to black money.
Read more
44 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by Munish Malhautra
    Hi All,
    I was in USA for about 7 weeks and just came in last week. Lived in East coast and then in west coast.

1. Price in east coast area ie Virginia, Maryland and some parts of washington were real worth it today if someone is willing to INVEST 50Lacs in India, he/she must look at the above options. You get a good condo/ aptt for USD 80-100K which will have excellent facilities like central HVAC, club services, Hot and Cold water, great maintainence, great carpeted flooring and interiors. To top it you can expect a rental return of ~USD 1000 per month, considering if it is a ~ 1000sqft flat. you are getting a return of 12-14% per month plus the biggest factor is SECURE DEALING on paper with white money.

2. Now if someone wants to buy a bigger property that is termed as a town house, i was amazed to town houses price at USD 350-500K viz 1.5cr- to 2.5cr, what you get is atleast 500 sqmtr of plot with excellent construction on basement, GF, FF, with total construction of atleast 3000-4000 sqft. This means that you are only occupying 30% space on plot an you have a backyard of atleast 3500sqft or 400sqyard. Interiors and services are exceptional, rental for this property is atleast USD 3000-4000pm. Meaning a 12% return. In India you would spend this money on interiors of a just a 400sqyard house.

now compare what you get in India for 1.5-2.5cr, max a bare plot of 150-200sqrmtr:D:D:D, the rental you get here is peanuts, rental return is not more than 2%.

On the west coast especially silicon valley, keeping all the above paramaters similar, prices are 3x higher and rental yield is also around 8% viz still good.

All in all it makes sense to look at investing money in US(if you have some relative it is even better), as the govt now allows people to Indians to invest there.

Which city has town home rentals for $3-4K in US?

You can check the rentals on craigslist.org for almost all US cities and get back to me. Rental for 1500sqft town home will not be more than $1500-1800/mo. You probably will have to pay $300/mo HOA for both your townhome and condo.

But yes, I do agree with you that prices and returns are better in US than in India ATM. However, your estimate is very optimistic, while the ground reality is not so rosy.

West Coast the rental yeild is close to 5% if you are lucky. But then you have to factor maintenance, insurance and property taxes (on total property values) as well.
    CommentQuote
  • Dude population n size bhi toh dekho...
    CommentQuote
  • In KL, Property price is much lower than Delhi but infrastructure is not as good as here.

Regards
    CommentQuote
  • Only reason to go for a plot of 200 sq yd in India without any infra for 2.5 crores is that same plot will be 5 crores in 2-3 years, 10 crores in 8-10 years, and then each floor will be worth 5 crores after few years making the whole thing worth 25 crores :-)

ghajab desh hai hamaara!

Originally Posted by Munish Malhautra
    Hi All,

CommentQuote
  • HI MM ji,
    I agree with US but again we will have to thinkl NCR only=========
    What to do, this the the reality=====
    CommentQuote
  • MM Boss, neither everyone has got a relative in US, nor a job ... so property to wahin leni hoti hai jahan aapki job aur poori life hoti hai ... else UK London is even better these days

So no point comparing US and NCR property on IREF in Noida Thread ... for a man, his property is worth where ever his life is, whether its an investment or end use !!!
    CommentQuote
  • Without any doubt.. I agree whatever you are saying is right..

then??? what do you suggest ?? Sari india ki property sell kar ke US nikal chale.. and ye hi business suru kar de???

Do you think that is possible.??? I Think No..

In simple words you are comparing the facilities of a developed Country with a developing & CORRUPT country. that is not at all logical...

Even in India you can get such big space and build all those facilities if you try 100km far from Delhi. but those facilities will not work since there wont be 24hrs electricity.. when you will step out of that bungalow. you will find tooti footi roads. .. will take at least 2hrs to reach Delhi after facing traffic jams and poor road conditions.

so facilities you can buy in this budget but infra is not there.

Why dont you visit Bangladesh or Afganistan next time??

Lets see what do you get?

Originally Posted by Munish Malhautra
    Hi All,

CommentQuote
  • In with same investement.. one can buy "whole village" in Pakistan/Dhaka... so should we go there :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by shrek2011
    Only reason to go for a plot of 200 sq yd in India without any infra for 2.5 crores is that same plot will be 5 crores in 2-3 years, 10 crores in 8-10 years, and then each floor will be worth 5 crores after few years making the whole thing worth 25 crores :-)

ghajab desh hai hamaara!

Yahan RE appreciation population growth ki tarah hai.
    Mera Bharat Mahannnnnnnnnn:D
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by fritolay_ps
    In with same investement.. one can buy "whole village" in Pakistan/Dhaka... so should we go there :)

Dhaka property cost is much more than NCR
    CommentQuote
  • any relevance of this thread..nobody is going to take property in US..2-3 weeks bita aye and thread start kar diya..
    CommentQuote
  • I have some great information on this.
    US does provides EB5 visa for those who are ready to invest the following way :-

Investor Program EB-5 Program:
    The USA Immigrant Investor Program (USA IIP) or more commonly known as the EB-5 visa or the million-dollar Green card is an easy and quick way of obtaining Green card based on a US investment. The fifth employment based visa preference category, created by Congress in 1990, is available to immigrants seeking to enter the United States in order to invest in a new commercial enterprise that will benefit the US economy and create at least 10 full-time jobs. There are two ways to invest which you may use within the EB-5 category and they are: creating a NEW commercial enterprise or investing in a troubled business.

As per US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services website, “entrepreneurs (and their spouses and unmarried children under 21) who make an investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States and who plan to create or preserve ten permanent full time jobs for qualified United States workers, are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence).

Up to 10,000 visas may be authorized each fiscal year for eligible entrepreneurs.
    An applicant must invest $1,000,000, or at least $500,000 in a targeted employment area (high unemployment or rural area). In return, USCIS may grant conditional permanent residence to the individual.†Who can qualify?There are three ways which you may use within the EB-5 category to qualify for a Green card and they are:

Creating a new commercial enterprise or Investing in a troubled business or
    Investing in a regional center.

1. New Business Enterprise:
    To qualify, the applicant must:
    1. Invest or be in the process of investing at least $1,000,000. If the investment is in a designated targeted employment area (discussed further below) then the minimum investment requirement is $500,000.
    2. Benefit the U.S. economy by providing goods or services to U.S. markets.
    3. Create full-time employment for at least 10 U.S. workers. This includes U.S. citizens, Green Card holders (lawful permanent residents) and other individuals lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. (however it does not include the applicant, his spouse, sons or daughters).

4. Be involved in the day-to-day management of the new business or directly manage it through formulating business policy - for example as a corporate officer or board member.Targeted Employment Area is defined by law as, a rural area or an area in USA that has experienced high unemployment of at least 150 percent of the national average.

2. Troubled Business:To qualify, the applicant must:
    1. Invest in a business that has existed for at least two years.
    2. Invest in a business that has incurred a net loss, based on generally accepted accounting principles, for the 12 to 24 month period before the applicant filed the Form I-526 Immigrant Petition by an Alien Entrepreneur.
    3. The loss for the 12 to 24 month period must be at least equal to 20 percent of the business's net worth before the loss.
    4. Maintain the number of jobs at no less than the pre-investment level for a period of at least two years.
    5. Be involved in the day-to-day management of the troubled business or directly manage it through formulating business policy. For example, as a corporate officer or board member.
    6. The same investment requirements of the new commercial enterprise investment apply to a troubled business investment ($1,000,000 or $500,000 in a targeted employment area).

3. Regional Center Pilot Program: (90% investor apply under this program) To qualify, the applicant must:
    1. Invest at least $1,000,000 or $500,000 in a regional center affiliated to a new commercial enterprise or a troubled business located within the area of the USCIS designated Regional Center. Regional Centers are defined and discussed further below.
    2. Create at least 10 new full-time jobs either directly or indirectly through the capital investment.

A Regional Center is defined as any economic unit, public or private, which is involved with the promotion of economic growth, improved regional productivity, job creation, and increased domestic capital investment.Regional Center investors may rely on indirect job creation rather than directly hiring ten employees. A competent professional, such as an economist, must quantify the indirect employment. If the regional center is in a high unemployment area the required capital is reduced to $500,000.
    Of the 10,000 investor visas (i.e. EB-5 visas) available annually, 5,000 are set aside for those who apply under a pilot program involving an INS-designated "Regional Center." To date, the quota has not been exceeded.

Some interesting features of the EB-5 Program:
    EB-5 investors include people from all walks of life - professionals, business people, persons wanting to facilitate a child's education, and retirees. Because the EB-5 visa permits employment in the US, many EB-5 investors become involved in charity or part time work. Simply put, the EB-5 visa gives you the flexibility to do what you want in the USA. If you don't want to actively manage your business, you should consider EB-5. If your goal is to have a green card and not to actively manage a business, it is most often cheaper to utilize the EB-5 category rather than to start and maintain a business.

When investing with a regional center, investors need to be extra cautious in choosing the right regional center for their investment. It is important to understand the proposed project and its intricacies before making an investment. Many EB-5 applications have been rejected in the year 2010 because the projects proposed by many regional centers did not create the necessary 10 jobs which are a pre-requisite for visa approval under the EB-5 Program.

Each Regional Center investor purchases a partnership interest in a specific investment partnership, managed by different companies, that owns, renovates and manages a property in the Regional Center. Indirect employment results from jobs created by elevating a previously underutilized property to a more productive use. Thus, the investment in the company or limited partnership meets the requirement for the EB-5 visa.

The applicant’s spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be admitted to the U.S. with the applicant on a two-year conditional period. If the applicant’s I-829 petition to remove conditions is approved, then the conditions will be removed from his spouse’s and children’s Green Card status. As a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder) the applicant’s spouse and children will be authorized to work or attend school in the U.S.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by yooddha
    Which city has town home rentals for $3-4K in US?

I specified 500 mtr town houses which are retained by companies for high end execs.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Naveen
    MM Boss, neither everyone has got a relative in US, nor a job ... so property to wahin leni hoti hai jahan aapki job aur poori life hoti hai ... else UK London is even better these days

So no point comparing US and NCR property on IREF in Noida Thread ... for a man, his property is worth where ever his life is, whether its an investment or end use !!!

Hi Naveen,
    This thread is not intended for everyone on this forum. it is only for a select few who are HNI professional class of people who have a few crore of surplus money (in white). Ofcourse i am not telling people to relocate:)
    maybe i should have clarified:D
    CommentQuote
  • I am keen to relocate to US permanently, only if anyone can suggest me possible business ideas for there. Also advice me which part of US should be best for a permanent stay ??
    CommentQuote