Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golf course property - safety from "Golf Ball" ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

Golf course property - safety from "Golf Ball" ?

Last updated: March 5 2013
37 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Golf course property - safety from "Golf Ball" ?

Here
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Biwild.

now - are these builders putting up something like this ? Has it already been put in existing gurgaon socities ( if not ....then why ? )

regards
      sbajaj

Comment

Looks like the picture taken in the above post is from some place outside India.

Normally the golf themed dwellings are kept at a very large distance from actual play area. I have seen this this in USA and Indonesia ( a resort).
        The dwellings or cottages are not placed any where near 100 mtrs from actual golf play area.

However we can forget such safety measures in India for the obvious reasons.

Last ,I heard in Jaypee, you have to sign an indemnity stating that you will not claim any damages in case the ball lands on any place except your head.

Digvijay

Comment

Thanks Digvijay bhai.

make some sense.

whatever i have seen in Europe & US. - Golf course property have a different meaning. They are not like what i see in india.

Indeminity bond - is it true ? can someone pls confirm. Is it only with Jaypee or Unitech & DLF is also doing it ?

regards
          sbajaj

Comment

Let us not compare Noida with US or Singapore. We all know the state of affairs are in this part of the world as we face it everyday. Please read the news below. I'm sure this is not an isolated incident.

Case filed against Noida golf course - Times Of India

Case filed against Noida golf course
            TNN Oct 7, 2012, 01.56AM IST

Tags:
            Sandeep Varma|Noida Golf Course
            NOIDA: A case has been registered against the Noida Golf Course by the CEO of a city-based IT company. The CEO claims the car he was travelling in was hit by a golf ball on Saturday morning.

The complainant, Sandeep Varma, lives in Sector 62. Police said Varma was on the way to his son's school when the incident happened at 9:20am.

Comment

Bajajbhai, the concern is very valid, specially knowing the state of affairs and ATTITUDE of people in India.

What generally done is

1. Designed logically so that residential or crowded areas are not in direct path.

2. Generally no highrise residential in golf course, only low rise bungalows, covered by dense tree lines

3. Nets and tree lines. And you are rights, nets are not really too high.

4. Warning Boards in danger prone area. I saw one such in Singapore, around Mc Ritchie reservoir.

5. Bhagwan bharosa!!

By the way, who really cares so much in India. I would say, more problematic areas are just next to a play ground ... even next to a road!! What can you really do if a PAGAL throws a stone at your house? And you look around, you will find so many such pagals around!!

Aise, helmet wala idea is great!!

Comment

Properties are built with the design of the course as the theme. The two are merged so most of the properties will be on a tangent.

Also protection nets (steel chainlinks) are put up so that the view is not blocked and protection is provided.

Additionally, trees and bushes are planted strategically, both for protection to home owners as well as hazards to the golfers.

Having said that you will not expect only pros to play on the course but also amateurs or budding golfers. Cannot predict the odd ball flying in wrong direction.

Hope that clarifies.

P.S : Most highend properties are coming up with Golf Courses, executive or full courses. These do come with protection and View. e.g Aralias, Magnolias, M3M Golf Estate, Tarudhan Golf Homes, Unitech Golf Homes etc to name a few in Gurgaon.
                Last edited March 1 2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Based on reply's so far - This is what i have understood -

-- All upcoming luxury properties have Golf Course option & we should accept it ( I don't agree ).

-- It's futile comparing foriegn golf themed property to our desi golf course property ( i agree ).

-- It's upto golf course designer to design golf course in such a way that residence should not come in between. ( failed to understand then how jaypee has built homes in between golf course & such high rises which is so near). Other builders are not saint either.

-- Protection - Nets, trees, warning sign, helmets, etc are the answer to such concerns. ( Now can someone please share Indian pics keeping in mind Indian golf themed property). Anyone from gurgaon ?

Concern is genuine, I am not comfortable with the thought of my family spending time in the lawns knowing - if the golf course ball hit anyone of them then anything is possible (god forbid).

Can somone pls share there experience of living in such golf based property & how similar they are to offerings in Noida ?

regards
                  sbajaj
                  Last edited March 1 2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Bajaj Sir - wanted to take this query first opportunity I got - let me try and answer

All I can say is I'm a very avid golfer, play atleast thrice a week and at the same time have spent considerable time in assessing apartments like Kalypso which are (like you all say) a different take to golf course living which is very different to the resort themed settlings in the western world

Let me start by the basics - In Golf the idea is to 'tee-off' or hit the ball from a pre-decided point, in the direction of the hole, the gameplan is to take the least number of shots to putt or simply put the ball in the hole and then you proceed to the next hole until you have completed the 18 or 9 holes whatever you set out to play

Safety and Golf are kind of intertwined in the way the rules and ethics of the game are set up (balls can be hit 250-300 yards and at very high speeds - so you have to be careful)

- Every group keeps atleast the distance of 1-2 shots AWAY from the previous and front group (i.e. more than the MAX distance that you can hit in the front or the previous group can hit towards you)
                    - Groups have to wait - it is illegal to hit and move on when the earlier group is in 'range' - it is so severe a crime that you can lose your membership if you've done this intentionally
                    - Every time you hit a ball and it does not go in the general direction you intended - you and your caddy need to SCREAM 'Ball' or 'Fore' as a warning - you will hear this quite a bit in the golf course. As soon as you hear this war cry, everyone takes shelter instantaneously
                    - MOST IMPORTANT - course design and layout - please see the picture below. It is ALL about angles and tolerances. The image is how the GC in WT is laid out (not too many people have access to this image). Every hole is made AWAY from the problem area - i.e. if you WANT to hit the fence or the building, you will move away from the tee box, turn around and hit AWAY from the direction of the hole. Even once you do this - your membership will 100% be revoked. Similarly - a golfer has 13-14 clubs, each designed for a different flight profile and distance - if the hole is near you use a lofted club which goes less far. You will NEVER use a club to overshoot the green by any considerable margin (again only by foul play you might)
                    - There are other hazards or traps like sand bunkers, water bodies, bush etc that stop the ball rapidly
                    - The ball - unlike a cricket ball that rolls and rolls when hit - the golf ball - stops very quickly once it hits the ground infact you hit a shot with a lot of backspin and a 150 yard shot once it hits the green lands softly virtually dead and pros actually make it spin back in the direction of the ball

So the game/design etc is setup for safety - still there will be vulnerable areas - all course architects will identify these spots where perhaps there is a chance for the ball to go haywire they will put up netting or introduce a water body or a hazard so the ball doesnt go there. The Jaypee Greater Noida course has a number of such spots where they have put up nettings (they are 70-80 feet high). These pictures shared above are what are there in Indian conditions also - have you not seen the Noida Stadium near Sector 21 - where they have a driving range or in Noida Golf Course or the range near Great India Place - just see how high the nets are

Net net - see the image below understand how the holes are position away from the periphery of the buildings. Accidents can happen but these are similar to any sport (a stray cricket or a hockey ball is just as deadly), protection and elaborate protection will be taken so bystanders dont get hurt. The nature of the sport is such that it promotes safety.

ps - I've not heard about any indemnity bond - can the poster please confirm this. Yes there is text in typical PALs that warn about golf balls being dangerous objects - but I assure you that is there in EVERY golf themed township anywhere.

Are you 100% safe - NO - but are you 100% safe driving a car or crossing the road or playing cricket or swimming??
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited March 1 2013, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dineshsays View Post
                      Bajaj Sir - wanted to take this query first opportunity I got - let me try and answer

All I can say is I'm a very avid golfer, play atleast thrice a week and at the same time have spent considerable time in assessing apartments like Kalypso which are (like you all say) a different take to golf course living which is very different to the resort themed settlings in the western world

Let me start by the basics - In Golf the idea is to 'tee-off' or hit the ball from a pre-decided point, in the direction of the hole, the gameplan is to take the least number of shots to putt or simply put the ball in the hole and then you proceed to the next hole until you have completed the 18 or 9 holes whatever you set out to play

Safety and Golf are kind of intertwined in the way the rules and ethics of the game are set up (balls can be hit 250-300 yards and at very high speeds - so you have to be careful)

- Every group keeps atleast the distance of 1-2 shots AWAY from the previous and front group (i.e. more than the MAX distance that you can hit in the front or the previous group can hit towards you)
                      - Groups have to wait - it is illegal to hit and move on when the earlier group is in 'range' - it is so severe a crime that you can lose your membership if you've done this intentionally
                      - Every time you hit a ball and it does not go in the general direction you intended - you and your caddy need to SCREAM 'Ball' or 'Fore' as a warning - you will hear this quite a bit in the golf course. As soon as you hear this war cry, everyone takes shelter instantaneously
                      - MOST IMPORTANT - course design and layout - please see the picture below. It is ALL about angles and tolerances. The image is how the GC in WT is laid out (not too many people have access to this image). Every hole is made AWAY from the problem area - i.e. if you WANT to hit the fence or the building, you will move away from the tee box, turn around and hit AWAY from the direction of the hole. Even once you do this - your membership will 100% be revoked. Similarly - a golfer has 13-14 clubs, each designed for a different flight profile and distance - if the hole is near you use a lofted club which goes less far. You will NEVER use a club to overshoot the green by any considerable margin (again only by foul play you might)
                      - There are other hazards or traps like sand bunkers, water bodies, bush etc that stop the ball rapidly
                      - The ball - unlike a cricket ball that rolls and rolls when hit - the golf ball - stops very quickly once it hits the ground infact you hit a shot with a lot of backspin and a 150 yard shot once it hits the green lands softly virtually dead and pros actually make it spin back in the direction of the ball

So the game/design etc is setup for safety - still there will be vulnerable areas - all course architects will identify these spots where perhaps there is a chance for the ball to go haywire they will put up netting or introduce a water body or a hazard so the ball doesnt go there. The Jaypee Greater Noida course has a number of such spots where they have put up nettings (they are 70-80 feet high). These pictures shared above are what are there in Indian conditions also - have you not seen the Noida Stadium near Sector 21 - where they have a driving range or in Noida Golf Course or the range near Great India Place - just see how high the nets are

Net net - see the image below understand how the holes are position away from the periphery of the buildings. Accidents can happen but these are similar to any sport (a stray cricket or a hockey ball is just as deadly), protection and elaborate protection will be taken so bystanders dont get hurt. The nature of the sport is such that it promotes safety.

ps - I've not heard about any indemnity bond - can the poster please confirm this. Yes there is text in typical PALs that warn about golf balls being dangerous objects - but I assure you that is there in EVERY golf themed township anywhere.

Are you 100% safe - NO - but are you 100% safe driving a car or crossing the road or playing cricket or swimming??
                      This person is one of the most serious contenders for the most hard working jaypee broker award for 2013

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X