Got this mail today. On the looks of it, I am inclined to treaty it as a scam, specially as demand draft of 10k is requested for just a survey (whatever that is). Email copies below.

Anyone else got this?

It brings us immerse pleasure to bring you our society “Armed Forces Officials Welfare Organisation (AFOWO)” with the sole objective of facilitating provision of residential units (residential plots, apartments, independent floors, farm plots etc) to the Serving and Retired, Armed / Defense Forces and Para- Military Personnel and Government Officials.

The Society is registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860, with an objective to promote housing schemes in cities all over the country as per the demand of Defense and Para-Military personnel.

NCR (Delhi & Surrounding Area) is the growth area for real-estate investment either for self living or for growth & return. Our Executive committee members have undergone many projects for our clients (Service Personnel) in past 20 years and the growth/ benefit can be seen from our following past performances:

Past Experience of Executive members of AFOWO:

Inhouse Projects:

1.      An investment of Rs. 8.20 lacs in a flat at Armed Forces Naval Officer Enclave(AFNOE), Dwarka, Delhi in 1998 has become over Rs. 1.75 crore in 2013 (over 375 service officers benefitted).

2.      An investment of Rs. 28.00 lacs in Greater Noida for a row house (Raksha Enclave) in 2005/06 has crossed Rs. 1.10 crore in 2013 (over 120 service officers benefitted).  

3.      An investment of Rs 12.5 lakhs at Raksha Retreat Villas, Nainital in 2008/09 has also grown above Rs 30 lakhs in 2013. (over 100 service officers benefitted).

Outsourced Past Projects:

1.      An investment for a flat Rs. 1,900/- psf in Raksha Towers, Sector 37D, Dwarka Expressway, Gurgaon in 2009-10 has become over Rs. 6,000/- in 2013 and going to be over Rs. 8,000/9,000 psf in next 2/3 years time (over 300 service officers are benefited).

2.      An investment for a flat Rs 1800 per sqft in Raksha Towers, Noida Extension, Greater Noida(West) in 2010, has become over Rs 3500 per sqft in 2013 and going to be over Rs 4500 per sqft in next 2 years time( over 275 service officers benefitted.)

We have examples of many projects like these recommended by us where investors gained very high returns. We now recommend you to invest in a very highly growth area – Gurgaon, Noida, Greater Noida (West)  where we have opened demand survey for our own new projects again.

Demand Survey open for 2/3/4 BHK apartments:

·      Gurgaon: starting 50 lakhs(approx) budget onwards 

·   Noida Extn: starting 25-30 lakhs(approx) budget onwards

·      Noida: starting 40-50 lakhs(approx) budget onwards

For Demand Survey, applicants need to apply on prescribed format by making cheque/DD of Rs 10,000/- in favor of “AFOWO”, payable at par.

The purpose of this scheme is to provide the affordable housing by providing the houses at lowest prices than the builders of that area.

Do not lose the opportunity. Act fast gain fast. Have your foothold in NCR. You can forward this mail to other known Friends/ Colleagues

Armed Forces Officials Welfare Organisation(AFOWO)

Settlers, Canteen Complex,Air Force Station,

Race Course Road, New Delhi - 110003
Read more
38 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Demand survey is for defence persons that's also thru proper channel. Check ARMY WELFARE HOUSING ORGANISATION fr more details.
    CommentQuote
  • Guys, I have also received an email from this organization. Any views on this? Is this a scam or a genuine scheme ?
    CommentQuote
  • AWHO is a recognised welfare body of the Indian Army.
    Website ARMY WELFARE HOUSING ORGANISATION
    Kindly check on site for details and conditions of housing schemes etc.
    CommentQuote
  • AWHO is a recognised and official welfare housing body of the Indian Army and similarly AFNHB is for Indian Navy and Indian Air Force. All others like AOWHO, GOWO, SWO etc are mostly started by retired officers and there is nothing official about them. AWHO and AFNHB are strictly for defence personnel and they don't do any marketing or advertising. One should do proper due diligence as for any other builder. However practice of taking Rs. 10000/- for demand survey is a standard practice even in AWHO and AFNHB. It is a refundable deposit.
    CommentQuote
  • how one can check the legality of such sites like - AFOWO
    the guy whom i talked to do not even sound like defense personal.
    they are saying that scheme is launched and now 10% is required to be submitted. more over site still says that Survey is open till 15th April'14.
    CommentQuote
  • AFOWO most probably is private site and not an official part of the Army..
    You need to exercise extra care.
    If you wish to verify,write to the army directly and check.
    CommentQuote
  • Guys, any more suggestions??? I am in a major fix.

Even i got this mail and then followed up. Now these guys are saying that we have to invest before 15th April i.e. tomorrow.

The rate offered is 4800 with all internal amenities. But how do we trust these guys with 5 lacs (10%).
    CommentQuote
  • AayuShri,
    Please verify before investing.
    It is better to loose a "chance" than Rs5 lakhs.
    I cannot understand why are you in panic?
    You have not heard of this organisation earlier.
    You dont know about the bonafides of the organisation.
    Why do you think you are in a fix?
    CommentQuote
  • I have also received a mail and after a brief conversation visited their Office in the race course area.
    My conclusions:
    This is a society formed by some persons with defence background or in connivance with people of defence background. They have cleverly rented out shop/office in race course to trap gullible people.
    Like mentioned by somebody the smallest 2 bedroom starts with prices above 50 lakhs and you will have to pay a minimum of 12.5 lakhs within first 3 months and pay the next installment when they start digging (when it will be is not clear).
    There is not clear mention of the number of units available in each category.
    In each category(No. of bedrooms) they are ready with more than one plan with different area.
    Nowhere in their brochures they mention the sq.ft. rate of the unit.
    Even in the application form the applicant needs to fill up the area of the unit and the rate on their own instead of choosing from a list of printed choices - leaving a lot of room for manipulation at a later stage.

I am reminded of a friend who had very enthusiastically joined a society of Ministry of Externally Affairs employees with recommendation from the employee of MEA (It was a prerequisite: you are required to be a MEA employee for getting admitted, but since there were some vacancies they were admitting Central Govt. Servants recommended by MEA employees).
    He become a member of it 7 years back and paid 20 lakhs within first 2 years. The builder involved is Antariksh builders and the project is coming up in Sector 84 Gurgaon. Now he had paid nearly 100% and it will take nearly 2 years before getting possession. He would have made double the profit, had he invested in any other good project of an established builder.
    If you investing with a builder you tend to ask more questions and insists printed/written confirmation of the facts. But when you are approaching somebody who claims to do some service for the greater common benefit you are less likely to put in prying questions even when they are not disclosing relevant basic facts without asking. (In fact there may not be anything in the bylaws of the society to restrict itself to defence personnels - even the application form does not even ask the service status of the applicant)
    Even if they not run away with your money, you may be in a very precarious position without any definite idea about your rights and responsibilities like somebody intruded into an exclusive club. You will not be having any right or courage to ask questions
    CommentQuote
  • Counterfeit has give a good food for thought.No investment if you are not able to get definite timetables for work,Handing over etc
    Legal papers are to be checked.
    How they have managed offices inDefence area needs to be checked,if they are using area for creating problems to investors.
    CommentQuote
  • I decided to give this a miss... Still think there is some funny business going on
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Counterfeit
    I have also received a mail and after a brief conversation visited their Office in the race course area.
    My conclusions:
    This is a society formed by some persons with defence background or in connivance with people of defence background. They have cleverly rented out shop/office in race course to trap gullible people.
    Like mentioned by somebody the smallest 2 bedroom starts with prices above 50 lakhs and you will have to pay a minimum of 12.5 lakhs within first 3 months and pay the next installment when they start digging (when it will be is not clear).
    There is not clear mention of the number of units available in each category.
    In each category(No. of bedrooms) they are ready with more than one plan with different area.
    Nowhere in their brochures they mention the sq.ft. rate of the unit.
    Even in the application form the applicant needs to fill up the area of the unit and the rate on their own instead of choosing from a list of printed choices - leaving a lot of room for manipulation at a later stage.

I am reminded of a friend who had very enthusiastically joined a society of Ministry of Externally Affairs employees with recommendation from the employee of MEA (It was a prerequisite: you are required to be a MEA employee for getting admitted, but since there were some vacancies they were admitting Central Govt. Servants recommended by MEA employees).
    He become a member of it 7 years back and paid 20 lakhs within first 2 years. The builder involved is Antariksh builders and the project is coming up in Sector 84 Gurgaon. Now he had paid nearly 100% and it will take nearly 2 years before getting possession. He would have made double the profit, had he invested in any other good project of an established builder.
    If you investing with a builder you tend to ask more questions and insists printed/written confirmation of the facts. But when you are approaching somebody who claims to do some service for the greater common benefit you are less likely to put in prying questions even when they are not disclosing relevant basic facts without asking. (In fact there may not be anything in the bylaws of the society to restrict itself to defence personnels - even the application form does not even ask the service status of the applicant)
    Even if they not run away with your money, you may be in a very precarious position without any definite idea about your rights and responsibilities like somebody intruded into an exclusive club. You will not be having any right or courage to ask questions

Hi
    I would like to bring to the notice of all, that I visited the office of AFOWO along with the friend of mine whose father is retired from Air Force. I concluded with the following information:
    POSITIVE:
    1. AFOWO is an autonomous body registered under Societies Registration act 1860 and is headed by the higher end Armed Force Officials from Indian Air Force. They are having the experience of 20 years of providing residential projects to Armed Forces Personnels.
    2. These people were having the experience of delivering some of the projects of its own and some in collaboration with Developers. E.g. AFNOE, Dwarka(New Delhi) is good project that I personally saw and at a good location. All residents are from Air Force and Navy.
    3. They did the demand survey started from Nov2013 and then for providing housing to its registered members, in Current project they have negotiated with Pareena for 200-250 Armed Forces Officials (90%) and at very good price, which I think I couldn’t have imagined at that location.
    4. I personally called them, and I was asked the details of my reference from Armed Forces and only then I was told remaining details.
    5. They will monitor the construction and will get the favorable environment for all members and will be there till the delivery of the project.
    6. As compared to other builders, they are having a much bigger bedroom sizes in flat of similar size of some other builder. 2035 sqft flat that I was looking for has a good size of master bedroom etc.
    7. Location of their office is so sacred and restricted that they can’t try to dupe the customers like anybody and their office is running there since more than 10 years as per my verification.
    8. RATE IS VERY VERY COMPETITIVE WHICH I COULDN’T HAVE IMAGINED INDIVIDUALLY AT SUCH A GOOD LOCATION.
    NEGATIVE:
    1. Website should have been more informative about the profile of the Management and details of the current project to help in taking the informed decision.
    2. A lot of individuals in the market are spreading negative about them but all doubts get cleared only after visiting them personally and not through website etc.
    3. Not heard about AFOWO word literally before this. So one should do its due diligence about the past work experiences of management in the same field as depicted in their website.

Conclusion: I and my friend found myself satisfied with their past experiences and highly convinced with rate of the current project that we booked 2 units of 2035 sqft. But I would say that one should satisfy himself fully before investing anywhere.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sameertandon
    Hi
    I would like to bring to the notice of all, that I visited the office of AFOWO along with the friend of mine whose father is retired from Air Force. I concluded with the following information:
    POSITIVE:
    1. AFOWO is an autonomous body registered under Societies Registration act 1860 and is headed by the higher end Armed Force Officials from Indian Air Force. They are having the experience of 20 years of providing residential projects to Armed Forces Personnels.
    2. These people were having the experience of delivering some of the projects of its own and some in collaboration with Developers. E.g. AFNOE, Dwarka(New Delhi) is good project that I personally saw and at a good location. All residents are from Air Force and Navy.
    3. They did the demand survey started from Nov2013 and then for providing housing to its registered members, in Current project they have negotiated with Pareena for 200-250 Armed Forces Officials (90%) and at very good price, which I think I couldn’t have imagined at that location.
    4. I personally called them, and I was asked the details of my reference from Armed Forces and only then I was told remaining details.
    5. They will monitor the construction and will get the favorable environment for all members and will be there till the delivery of the project.
    6. As compared to other builders, they are having a much bigger bedroom sizes in flat of similar size of some other builder. 2035 sqft flat that I was looking for has a good size of master bedroom etc.
    7. Location of their office is so sacred and restricted that they can’t try to dupe the customers like anybody and their office is running there since more than 10 years as per my verification.
    8. RATE IS VERY VERY COMPETITIVE WHICH I COULDN’T HAVE IMAGINED INDIVIDUALLY AT SUCH A GOOD LOCATION.
    NEGATIVE:
    1. Website should have been more informative about the profile of the Management and details of the current project to help in taking the informed decision.
    2. A lot of individuals in the market are spreading negative about them but all doubts get cleared only after visiting them personally and not through website etc.
    3. Not heard about AFOWO word literally before this. So one should do its due diligence about the past work experiences of management in the same field as depicted in their website.

Conclusion: I and my friend found myself satisfied with their past experiences and highly convinced with rate of the current project that we booked 2 units of 2035 sqft. But I would say that one should satisfy himself fully before investing anywhere.

I was asked the details of my reference from Armed Forces and only then I was told remaining details.
    Given the size of Indian Army, anybody in India can give reference from Army. What does such a reference check mean?
    Why is their office sacred? Mandir me hai kya?
    Let's not get too excited looking at profitable opportunity and commit a blunder. Baki - marji hai aapki, akhir sir hai aapka!
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Don Quixote
    I was asked the details of my reference from Armed Forces and only then I was told remaining details.
    Given the size of Indian Army, anybody in India can give reference from Army. What does such a reference check mean?
    Why is their office sacred? Mandir me hai kya?
    Let's not get too excited looking at profitable opportunity and commit a blunder. Baki - marji hai aapki, akhir sir hai aapka!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS! :bab (59):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sameertandon
    Hi
    POSITIVE:
    NEGATIVE:

I and my friend too have booked one each. (1355 and 1650)
    CommentQuote