Dear friends,

I have a problem and would like to get an opinion from this forum.

I am not sure whether this is the right forum for this question, but I am in a situation and any good answer will be of great help, so please read ahead and consider.

We have a building in the center of the city. It is a building with 2 floors. We (me and my mother) live in the ground floor, and along with our home in the ground floor, there is a room in the front with rolling shutter that we have rented out to a grocery shop.

It was rented out to the person in 1998 and for past 16 years, it is the same shop owner. In 2013 March, we asked him orally to vacate. We didnt send any notice, the reason for which I will explain. But it has been 20 months since that March and he is not vacating. Whenever we talk about this to him, he asks for more time and now it has reached a point where I dont think he will ever vacate.

My mother is very misinformed and worried about legal things and that is the reason we didnt send any notice in the first place. The building is in her name.

Now we desperately need that room along with our house as I am getting married shortly and we need more room in the house. I found it is of no use convincing my mother to file a complaint.

After frustratedly thinking a lot, I have decided to do something and I am going to do it any way, please do not try to talk me out of it. I just need technical point of views about it.

The person usually closes the shop at 10:30 p.m. and leaves home. I am thinking of doing some thing in the middle of the night to jam the rolling shutter so that it does not open after that (it does not matter if whole shutter is damaged and not good to use in future as I am planning to build a wall there). If the shutter doesnt open, the room will be 80% useless for him, so eventually he will leave.

Please note, I am ready to borrow or arrange any equipment needed, like a cutting torch or something. I would like to know where to cut or break or do something that will disable the shutter forever.

The model of the shutter is similar to this.

I am ready to face any legal action against me in this process.

Engineers, builders, architects, or whoever please find me a solution.

Please note, if you have any other sure-shot idea that might definitely work to get rid of the shop, please feel free to tell me.

Regards.....
Read more
10 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • You are your best judge...i love mischief anyways.

Just buy Rs 25 feviquick and shove it into the keyhole of the locks..give it 2-3 hours....he ll be breaking his locks himselves :)

Let me know how this works out.
    CommentQuote
  • Nandunaada....

Buddy, that wont work, may be it might delay his day by 30 minutes....thats all....
    CommentQuote
  • bro...i dont know how long it takes for cement to dry out....the quick dry ones...the obvious solution is that only.

Originally Posted by tempname
    Nandunaada....

Buddy, that wont work, may be it might delay his day by 30 minutes....thats all....
    CommentQuote
  • Nandunaada...

where do u mean to put the cement ?

What I am thinking is....to use cutting torch and make a semi-rectangular cut at the top of the shutter or something like that, which might stuck the shutter when rolled upwards....
    CommentQuote
  • I thought about it already. It wont work. The shop has liters of oil and stuff, fire might go out of control....
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by tempname
    I thought about it already. It wont work. The shop has liters of oil and stuff, fire might go out of control....

Out of control is what you need....this is no easy situation...court case would drag on for years..if i were u...i ll do that.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nandunaada
    Out of control is what you need....this is no easy situation...court case would drag on for years..if i were u...i ll do that.

Your feviquick idea was better than this....
    CommentQuote
  • This is the common problem in all old shops..Practically you can sit with them and finalized last date to vacant..sometime owner has to give money to tenant to gate it vacant..Check legal option also like sending notice but best option is settle it out of court..
    CommentQuote
  • nandunaaadu,
    Arson ideas are poor and highly illegal solutions.
    Not appropriate to post such ideas on the forum.
    Creator of this thread has posted the same query in Gurgoan thread and now in NOIDA thread??
    Do you expect better replies in this forum.
    CommentQuote
  • Its not going to be easy, even legally you will be not be on a very strong wicket, moreover it will take a very long time.

In case of shops the court is more sympathetic towards tenants.

Initially you may try this:

1. Send a court notice: That puts pressure
    2. Approach some local political leader kind of person for acting as a meditator
    3. Speak with the shopowner-tenant.

He may still not budge , and rightly so because after all he has spend 16 years setting the business and clientele, but then you can talk for vacating a part of shop area and you may need to give some cash also!!

That is how it works until you are friends with someone very high up in city administration.
    CommentQuote