I wish for review on Wakad area. Is this area going to be cosmo culture in future?
Currently i found that lot of slums around this area.
If i compare Wakad with PS/Baner, the main issue i found is that Wakad is still having non-cosmo culture.
Read more
52 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Could turn in to a Cosmo culture as it's near to hinjewadi.

On a different note I remeber words from PuLa Deshpande. In one of his books (do not remember the name thouogh) he has given definition of cosmopolitan as 'Marathi sodun itar sarva' (Everyone except marathi) :)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rsatitkar
    Could turn in to a Cosmo culture as it's near to hinjewadi.

On a different note I remeber words from PuLa Deshpande. In one of his books (do not remember the name thouogh) he has given definition of cosmopolitan as 'Marathi sodun itar sarva' (Everyone except marathi) :)

True:), however this is the definition even imagined or perceived by many
    CommentQuote
  • Yes.. Wakad will be cosmo for the numerious new projects in which IT ppl are buying. There are old constructions in between these new projects which will eventually one day be upgraded by the builders once they are out of open spaces:D
    CommentQuote
  • So what if it non-cosmo? Do you fear that your neighbours will drive you away? Do you want to form a ghetto or what?
    CommentQuote
  • Right to some extent ( Everyone except marathi bihari gujrati indian etc)
    cosmopolites are responsible for Cosmo culture .
    and they are the person, who is free from local, provincial, or national bias or attachment; citizen of the world
    So Marathi Gujrati Bihari etc does not come in to equation.

Originally Posted by rsatitkar
    Could turn in to a Cosmo culture as it's near to hinjewadi.

CommentQuote
  • BTW, by "cosmo", do you mean "Hindi-speaking"? If yes, then man, you need to shift to UP / Bihar / MP. Sorry to disappoint you.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by guddu1
    Right to some extent ( Everyone except marathi bihari gujrati indian etc)
    cosmopolites are responsible for Cosmo culture .
    and they are the person, who is free from local, provincial, or national bias or attachment; citizen of the world
    So Marathi Gujrati Bihari etc does not come in to equation.

This is a kind of phobia. When I was in Chennai, nobody wanted to live in a Tamil dominated area, in Hyderabad, nobody wanted to live in either a Muslim dominated or Telugu dominated area. Similarly in Pune, nobody wants to live in a Marathi dominated area. Here "nobody" is everybody except the local population.

I have lived in South India enough to know that out of every 100 outsiders, only 10 actually mingle with the locals, others form ghettos. I have seen this in Chennai, in Hyderabad, in Bangalore, in Mumbai (where I used to live) and now in Pune (where I live now).
    CommentQuote
  • Puneris (& not Punekars) is the cause

For Wakad to become cosmo, first Baner & Balewadi need to become one. If it gets dominated by PCMC people, then the likelihood of the area becoming cosmo reduces.

Now, here is my opinion why several people prefer cosmo localities:-

1. There is nothing like so called local barrier in them,

2. These people prefer neighbors from all walks of life,

3. Like to celebrate everything. Eg. I like to have Ganpati Utsav as well as Navratri. Krishnaashtami, Baisakhi is also welcome. What happens in Marathi dominated area is these type of festivals are not celebrated. Man, even the date of Holi is different in Pune than rest of the cities!!

4. Last but not the least, typical Puneris always alienate non-Puneties. This includes people from Nashik, Satara, Aurangabad or even Mumbai as well. In the current soc where I stay, even people who came from cities like Amravati, Nagpur are treated as aliens. So, we have 2 groups:- Puneris (not Punekars) & non-Puneris. Thankfully, non-Puneris are more in our society:).

The basic reason why many people prefer non-Puneri crowd is that typical Puneri crowd never entertains them.
    CommentQuote
  • Well don't compare Maharashtra with Tamil Nadu, Andhra etc.

In my experience, if you go in a group of Telegu, they always speak Telegu, if you go in a group of Bihari, they will speak only in their language if you are good in Hindi or not.

But Maharashtrian changes his language and make it easy to understand other one who don't know Marathi or try to accommodate him/her proactively

The affection for so called cosmo-culture is sometimes out of sheer disdain for Maharashtra's local culture
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres

3. Like to celebrate everything. Eg. I like to have Ganpati Utsav as well as Navratri. Krishnaashtami, Baisakhi is also welcome. What happens in Marathi dominated area is these type of festivals are not celebrated. Man, even the date of Holi is different in Pune than rest of the cities!!.

No one stops you from celebrating it anywhere,and I don't think anyone celebrates ALL Festivals of India
    CommentQuote
  • Well, this is slightly off topic, but Maharashtrians always lose out because of this attitude of theirs. The outsiders slowly bring in more of their fold and form Ghettos. The Marathi chap is screwed by his own actions. Need live examples? I can show you a zillion examples. And yes, this "cosmopolitan" thing is out of sheer disdain. I can show you places in Mumbai, where people make fun of Maharashtrians, and it is these Maharashtrians who gave them shelter when they came in as refugees of war.

Once again, this is off topic, but true. If somebody wants to be "cosmo", then he has to mingle with the locals. Times are changing, and you will not find only the local chaps adjusting to the outsiders whims. The action has to be mutual.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres

3. Like to celebrate everything. Eg. I like to have Ganpati Utsav as well as Navratri. Krishnaashtami, Baisakhi is also welcome. What happens in Marathi dominated area is these type of festivals are not celebrated. Man, even the date of Holi is different in Pune than rest of the cities!!

Times are changing now,as the Sadashiv-pethis are moving out. About Holi, yes, even I was shocked to see people throw colour on everybody on the road a week after rangapanchami. And in Marathi dominated areas, Navaratri, Janmashtami and even Durga Puja are celebrated, but the way of celebration is different. But outsiders celebrate ONLY their festivals. They do not even care to mix. That is a major problem. I can say from experience that outsiders in Mumbai mingle much better with others. In Pune well-educated professionals are forming ghettos in the name of "upholding their cultural values", which is a joke.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by puser
    No one stops you from celebrating it anywhere,and I don't think anyone celebrates ALL Festivals of India

Especially chatt puja.
    CommentQuote
  • Yup, but I don't think that's bad attitude on part of Maharashtra's people. However there complete callousness on other's part, like releasing book on Shivaji, favoring Karnataka over Maharashtra and chaos and subsequent luxurious treatment meted out to Chandra Babu Naidu on command of Sonia Gandhi. Can you imagine MNS activist being treated with velvet glove in AP?
    CommentQuote
  • Puser & nimish,

You mixed up Puneri & Punekars yet again:o. Read my post, Marathi speaking folks from Nashik, Nagpur are treated as aliens. From where does Marathi language issue comes into picture then??
    CommentQuote