Is Wakad going to be Cosmopolitan

Last updated: August 28 2010
53 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Is Wakad going to be Cosmopolitan

Originally posted by realacres View Post

3. Like to celebrate everything. Eg. I like to have Ganpati Utsav as well as Navratri. Krishnaashtami, Baisakhi is also welcome. What happens in Marathi dominated area is these type of festivals are not celebrated. Man, even the date of Holi is different in Pune than rest of the cities!!.
    No one stops you from celebrating it anywhere,and I don't think anyone celebrates ALL Festivals of India

Comment

Well, this is slightly off topic, but Maharashtrians always lose out because of this attitude of theirs. The outsiders slowly bring in more of their fold and form Ghettos. The Marathi chap is screwed by his own actions. Need live examples? I can show you a zillion examples. And yes, this "cosmopolitan" thing is out of sheer disdain. I can show you places in Mumbai, where people make fun of Maharashtrians, and it is these Maharashtrians who gave them shelter when they came in as refugees of war.

Once again, this is off topic, but true. If somebody wants to be "cosmo", then he has to mingle with the locals. Times are changing, and you will not find only the local chaps adjusting to the outsiders whims. The action has to be mutual.

Comment

3. Like to celebrate everything. Eg. I like to have Ganpati Utsav as well as Navratri. Krishnaashtami, Baisakhi is also welcome. What happens in Marathi dominated area is these type of festivals are not celebrated. Man, even the date of Holi is different in Pune than rest of the cities!!
        Times are changing now,as the Sadashiv-pethis are moving out. About Holi, yes, even I was shocked to see people throw colour on everybody on the road a week after rangapanchami. And in Marathi dominated areas, Navaratri, Janmashtami and even Durga Puja are celebrated, but the way of celebration is different. But outsiders celebrate ONLY their festivals. They do not even care to mix. That is a major problem. I can say from experience that outsiders in Mumbai mingle much better with others. In Pune well-educated professionals are forming ghettos in the name of "upholding their cultural values", which is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by puser View Post
          No one stops you from celebrating it anywhere,and I don't think anyone celebrates ALL Festivals of India
          Especially chatt puja.

Comment

Yup, but I don't think that's bad attitude on part of Maharashtra's people. However there complete callousness on other's part, like releasing book on Shivaji, favoring Karnataka over Maharashtra and chaos and subsequent luxurious treatment meted out to Chandra Babu Naidu on command of Sonia Gandhi. Can you imagine MNS activist being treated with velvet glove in AP?

Comment

Puser & nimish,

You mixed up Puneri & Punekars yet again. Read my post, Marathi speaking folks from Nashik, Nagpur are treated as aliens. From where does Marathi language issue comes into picture then??
              If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Puser & nimish,

You mixed up Puneri & Punekars yet again. Read my post, Marathi speaking folks from Nashik, Nagpur are treated as aliens. From where does Marathi language issue comes into picture then??
                Boss, at least at office, are taking care that all Marathi speakers no matter from where they are, stay together as one. Yes, typical Sadashiv-Pethis treat others differently, but they are a dwindling lot today.

Comment

Typical "Sadashiv-Pethi" are typical Puneri Brahmins as depicted in Black and White movies on Dyaneshwar, who denied to do coronate Shivaji, who even treat each other differently and as aliens, they look down upon their own kind. But again, modern generation of their is really loving and kind if you know them closely, and it will be wrong to generalize even them. All generalizations are false, because we are constrained to grasp behavior of even one man, forget about whole community

Comment

Originally posted by puser View Post
                    Typical "Sadashiv-Pethi" are typical Puneri Brahmins as depicted in Black and White movies on Dyaneshwar, who denied to do coronate Shivaji, who even treat each other differently and as aliens, they look down upon their own kind. But again, modern generation of their is really loving and kind if you know them closely, and it will be wrong to generalize even them. All generalizations are false, because we are constrained to grasp behavior of even one man, forget about whole community
                    Correct! Actions of one person does not mean that the whole community is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by nimish1981 View Post
                      Correct! Actions of one person does not mean that the whole community is not good.
                      Even I have relatives which discriminates Peth-kar and Pune-kar.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X