I wish for review on Wakad area. Is this area going to be cosmo culture in future?
Currently i found that lot of slums around this area.
If i compare Wakad with PS/Baner, the main issue i found is that Wakad is still having non-cosmo culture.
Read more
Reply
52 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by sonubhatia
    One last thing India will never have complete progress until we keep fighting within ourself and on useless things. Look at USA or even China they have progress in all area because there are only americans in USA and Only Chinese in China but only in India u dont find Indians. all r either Marathi, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Telgu and 25 other nationals. Only time we are indians is whn India playing Pakistan in Cricket.

    Note: Dialogue is not mine but seriously the problem is mine.


    Sirs, I guess you are taking this off the point. I assume that I take neutral point of view and accordingly I would put my views:

    Since I live in Mumbai and my heart lives in there too, I can frankly assume that everybody likes to make his or own community. if you go to some areas of ghatkopar or kalina you will come to know what this refuge area looks like. I don't think you can stand there a moment. Having said that I have lot of friends with diff religon and no offence as regards religon is concerned.
    I can't say more that this that my Bai is Musim (from bangladesh). And I'm a KOBRA.
    Pt is in general ppl tend to form ghetos.
    As regards yours point goes for US, any white at any given point won't live near black community, so don't say in US american is american.
    Chinese too have this kind of mentality.
    Even in Africa, you can't recognise difference betw 2 black ppl and their community, but they usually do and volience there has been just too much that manking have ever seen in history.
    So this usually happens in every part of the world.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abeerbagul
    Well, I was born and brought up on Law College road, and just few years back had to emigrate to the outskirts of Pune, i.e. Dahanukar Colony.

    So am as Puneri as they come. Main problem with us is that we think Puneri are the "most cultured" people on earth. We also think that fraternizing with aliens such as other Maharashtrians and Indians is a social service that we do out of the kindness of our hearts.

    Our neighbourhoods are not Kalyaninagar, Wakad, but UK, Silicon Valley, etc.

    Anything beyond Deccan (like Camp, Satara Road), needs a passport, visa and travel insurance.


    Well said, I agree in totality.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by saggii
    Sirs, I guess you are taking this off the point. I assume that I take neutral point of view and accordingly I would put my views:

    Since I live in Mumbai and my heart lives in there too, I can frankly assume that everybody likes to make his or own community. if you go to some areas of ghatkopar or kalina you will come to know what this refuge area looks like. I don't think you can stand there a moment. Having said that I have lot of friends with diff religon and no offence as regards religon is concerned.
    I can't say more that this that my Bai is Musim (from bangladesh). And I'm a KOBRA.
    Pt is in general ppl tend to form ghetos.
    As regards yours point goes for US, any white at any given point won't live near black community, so don't say in US american is american.
    Chinese too have this kind of mentality.
    Even in Africa, you can't recognise difference betw 2 black ppl and their community, but they usually do and volience there has been just too much that manking have ever seen in history.
    So this usually happens in every part of the world.


    Seriously Africa?? Now you want us to go backward and look at Africa?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sonubhatia
    Seriously Africa?? Now you want us to go backward and look at Africa?


    Sir, if you haven't been to africa then don't speak a word about it. And BTW I was talking about human nature to form ghetos/communities all over the world. what is it anyways related to being backwards? Lemme tell you stop distinguishing about comparing ones wealth with other, for thousand of year we have lived in this word where there were no big buildings no cars no infra.ppl have lived in this way since ever so what if one has big car and other hasn't, afterall we all are humans.
    If you ask me yes I love africa. what you think is what not what you know. My funda of thinking...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by saggii
    Sir, if you haven't been to africa then don't speak a word about it. And BTW I was talking about human nature to form ghetos/communities all over the world. what is it anyways related to being backwards? Lemme tell you stop distinguishing about comparing ones wealth with other, for thousand of year we have lived in this word where there were no big buildings no cars no infra.ppl have lived in this way since ever so what if one has big car and other hasn't, afterall we all are humans.
    If you ask me yes I love africa. what you think is what not what you know. My funda of thinking...



    Saggi i talking about Infrastructure here. currently USA and china have best infrastructure nuthing against your african fellows.
    CommentQuote
  • Urban dwellers will live on fertile farmland which was acquired by builders and these complexes will be cosmopolitan. However adjacent to Wakad is Thergoan which is a typical village with narrow roads and high density. Hardly a place which will command a premium in the future. Also there is no scope of redevelopment in Pune as farmland will still be available.
    The Omega project in Wakad is one such example which was built on farmland. Incidentely I was present at their launch when they were selling at 1400 rs per sq/ft in Dec 2005 including kitchen and some furnishings. I remember seeing few buyers with checkbooks there. As per the locals the Omega land was a cotton farm with rich black soil. Who could tell in Dec 2005 the rise realty would have in the next 4 years !
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sonubhatia
    nimish1981 :- I m sending reply in your prvt message lets not use this forum for our personal agenda. BTW after being born here and living here i dont see myself as north indian rather more as Maharastrian.

    As Far as Wakad is concern only way it will be a cosmo is when roads are done more parks are made and the street vendors are given proper shops. If a shopping mall with mutliplex comes up the whole area will be transfered with a day. but looking at the buildings comming up i dont see any chances of Shopping mall.


    Ok, Sonubhatia ji, as you say.
    CommentQuote
  • I am opposed to ghetto culture. There are many reasons. I am using the word "outsider" for recent migrants.

    1) Dividing a society between localites and everybody else has been going on since a long time everywhere in the world. So my opposition to the original post was because of this reason. The person has specifically uesed the word cosmopolitan to mean non-Marathi.

    2) If you have areas where BPO culture people live, then you have escalated rates. Agreed that expensive shops and hotels would line the area, but that is because of a perception that BPO chaps have large amounts of money. And generally BPO culture is equated to "English" culture, ask the agents a nd brokers, they will tell you. So if you are a localite or a migrant with a family, you will never live in this area. The people here will need to pay more taxes, and also bear the ire of the authorities because of their lifestyle. One recession, and this area will feature bankrupt businesses and "to let" signs.

    3) In other more better areas where non-local families reside, only due to their attitude, locals will not want to help them. It would be a little difficult to get things done here. I know places in Pune where the garage mechanic, maidservant charge more than even Prabhat road or KP. And this is when the gas agency is less than 5kms away on a straight road, but still demands money to deliver till your home, the maid servant lives close by, but because you are a "Hindi-bolnewale sahab" and do not know anything about the localites. The local authorities will fleece you as you do not know their ways.

    4) Two years before any election or two years after it, ONLY the local people get their problems solved, and outsiders are seen as a cause of the problem. It is not necessary that outsiders are really that rich, so they are unfortunately given the cold shoulder. And with their policy of not mixing with the localites costs them dear.
    CommentQuote
  • What is cosmo

    Agree with abeer. I would like to make following cases:-

    There are 3 types of people:-

    1. Whose several generations have been native of Pune,
    2. Whose parents are from outside Pune but s/he is born & brought up in Pune,
    3. Who migrate to Pune for studies/work.

    I fall between 2. & 3. based on which I can say the following:-

    In past 10 yrs or so, Pune started developing at higher pace than before, more localities developed & it was in these new localities that 'outsiders' settled. This includes people withing Mah but outside Pune. This led to the so called cosmo crowd in new areas as abeer said that type1 Puneties never went in those areas.

    This thing is more about scattered pockets of development. There is Hinjewadi & nothing till Katraj on Bangalore side, & nothing till Talegaon on Mumbai side. Had the Hinjewadi IT park been at say Bavdhan, Kothrud too would have had more of a mixed crowd.

    Based on location, I must see the Delhi side on east & Chennai side on south are very strong about local things. See how Chennai was on street when LTTE was attacked by Sri Lankan forces. As far as Delhi is concerned, there is no respect for women in general, Punjabis (non-Sardar) & UP-Biharis topping the list. They have that MAN attitude where man is supreme. If you look at se-x ratio, the north compares far worst than any other part of the country.

    For me, I can stay only in following states:-

    Maharashtra, Gujarat & Karnataka.

    *PS:- I have 3 neighbors, 2 Gujju & 1 Sardar. The Gujjus speak Marathi fluently but hey not like Peth tone (they (the boys/men of my age, 2/3 generation) can't speak Gujarati) & Sardar says "Bhukh lagli, khayla dya".:D So, what can my neighborhood then be considered, cosmo or non-cosmo??
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Agree with abeer. I would like to make following cases:-

    "Bhukh lagli, khayla dya".:D So, what can my neighborhood then be considered, cosmo or non-cosmo??

    Is this Sardar related to Raju Shrivastava? I remember this dialogue from an episode of the Great Indian Laughter Challenge.

    And your neighborhood is definitely non-cosmo. How can you speak Marathi in a cosmo neighborhood; if you take the opinion of the chap who started this post?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres

    For me, I can stay only in following states:-

    Maharashtra, Gujarat & Karnataka.


    Believe me brother, Chennai is not that bad (I am a KOBRA and am actually saying this, so believe me there is something in the city that is not bad). Hyderabad going towards Secunderabad is also good, not the old city though, it simply does not feel like India. I cannot live in Kerala. Karnataka is ok, I like Bengaluru actually, they actually suffer even more than us. :( Gujarat is nice, so are some parts of MP, but there is an acute water shortage in some places.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by nimish1981
    Is this Sardar related to Raju Shrivastava? I remember this dialogue from an episode of the Great Indian Laughter Challenge.

    LoL. No man, this is pure Sardar, goes to Gurudwara, wears Kada (had one for me too) & all the things which are done by any other Sikhs. The only thing, he speaks very good Marathi, so good that some words may even go tangent to Kothrud chap:D. He is interested in literature & I must say that in entire India there are only 2 states which have contributed for literature:-

    Maharashtra & W.Bengal. Some of the best writers have been from these states, Tagore, Pu La.....list goes on.

    And your neighborhood is definitely non-cosmo. How can you speak Marathi in a cosmo neighborhood; if you take the opinion of the chap who started this post?

    This is what I would precisely like to know, whether a cosmo means non-Marathi or native non-Maharashtrian who may be speaking fluent Marathi.

    * When I meet someone or when I had taken autorick, don't why these rickshawalas start speaking in Hindi then? Once when my Sardar friend was speaking on his cell-fone in Marathi, the rickwala asked whether we are on some secret mission:D:o.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    This is what I would precisely like to know, whether a cosmo means non-Marathi or native non-Maharashtrian who may be speaking fluent Marathi.

    Taking into consideration various opinions, cosmopolitan society has come to mean a society where non-local people have come to stay and who even after staying in that place for decades do not want to be called as local. In fact these are true separatists.
    CommentQuote
  • This thread seems to be started with a malicious or mischievous intent. The question itself is amazing stereotypical. What do you mean by cosmopolitan? Only Hindi and English speaking.. I think the person who created this thread has abused to anonymous nature of this forum.

    I love going to laxmi road and Pet areas and have met some wonderful local people there. Pune has an embracing culture which is spoilt by people even thinking of starting such threads.

    Also one north indian on this thread is not a representative of all north indian and one maharashtrain does represent all of this state. Every person is an individual and deserves to be treated as an individual.

    If someone knows that IGRM, please delete this thread. It is not constructive and completely divisive.
    CommentQuote
  • Akssenti

    Agree with you.

    Some of the comments (not related to RE)are not required on RE forum.
    CommentQuote