Is Wakad going to be Cosmopolitan

Last updated: August 28 2010
53 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Is Wakad going to be Cosmopolitan

Originally posted by saggii View Post
    Even I have relatives which discriminates Peth-kar and Pune-kar.
    So, let us stop discriminating, and ensure that these cosmo-wanting guys get the message.

Comment

Guys, discussion is going little awry. Anyways, i have lived in Pune for pretty long time.

I have lot of Marathi friends(few very close) and they are mix of traditional + cosmo guys and we did lot of funny things together. i learnt litbit marathi n taught some punjabi too. . So, i think nobody is bothered much about all these issues now(puneri/non-puneri). Overall i think MH guys are pretty cool, peace loving and very good friends.

Overall i think if i am most comformtable in India to settle anywhere then Pune is definitely one of the places out of very few choices.

So chill guys. Lets focus on development, better infra and mutual respect and love.
      Last edited by findingnemo; July 24 2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Well, I was born and brought up on Law College road, and just few years back had to emigrate to the outskirts of Pune, i.e. Dahanukar Colony.

So am as Puneri as they come. Main problem with us is that we think Puneri are the "most cultured" people on earth. We also think that fraternizing with aliens such as other Maharashtrians and Indians is a social service that we do out of the kindness of our hearts.

Our neighbourhoods are not Kalyaninagar, Wakad, but UK, Silicon Valley, etc.

Anything beyond Deccan (like Camp, Satara Road), needs a passport, visa and travel insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by nimish1981 View Post
          Well, this is slightly off topic, but Maharashtrians always lose out because of this attitude of theirs. The outsiders slowly bring in more of their fold and form Ghettos. The Marathi chap is screwed by his own actions. Need live examples? I can show you a zillion examples. And yes, this "cosmopolitan" thing is out of sheer disdain. I can show you places in Mumbai, where people make fun of Maharashtrians, and it is these Maharashtrians who gave them shelter when they came in as refugees of war.

Once again, this is off topic, but true. If somebody wants to be "cosmo", then he has to mingle with the locals. Times are changing, and you will not find only the local chaps adjusting to the outsiders whims. The action has to be mutual.

Wait a Second wht u mean by Maharashtrians gave them shelter, did Marathis gave them their own houses or did they gave up your farming lands to them?? Most of these people were settled in camps owned by gov and some in homesowned by muslims who left for pakistan. half of karachi muslims left from Mumbai (bombay then) and there places were taken by "REFUGES". and also there are more refuges settled in Gujrat, M.P and Rajesthan than Maharashtra but its just that some marathis have found to get popular faster but kicking other people.

And BTW no place is made Cosmo until one gets respects as human and is not racially divided on basis of ur Origian.

Also plz Reply to my comments and make sure u show us ur marathi superemacy.

Comment

One last thing India will never have complete progress until we keep fighting within ourself and on useless things. Look at USA or even China they have progress in all area because there are only americans in USA and Only Chinese in China but only in India u dont find Indians. all r either Marathi, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Telgu and 25 other nationals. Only time we are indians is whn India playing Pakistan in Cricket.

Note: Dialogue is not mine but seriously the problem is mine.
            Last edited by sonubhatia; July 25 2010, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonubhatia View Post
              Wait a Second wht u mean by Maharashtrians gave them shelter, did Marathis gave them their own houses or did they gave up your farming lands to them?? Most of these people were settled in camps owned by gov and some in homesowned by muslims who left for pakistan. half of karachi muslims left from Mumbai (bombay then) and there places were taken by "REFUGES". and also there are more refuges settled in Gujrat, M.P and Rajesthan than Maharashtra but its just that some marathis have found to get popular faster but kicking other people.

And BTW no place is made Cosmo until one gets respects as human and is not racially divided on basis of ur Origian.

Also plz Reply to my comments and make sure u show us ur marathi superemacy.
              Yes, Marathi people gave up their own lands to them, check out government gazettes. And, there is no point in discussing linguistic supremacy. People from the north of India have been the most racist people on the planet. I have been the target of this in the past.

Even after starting my career, I have been fortunate enough to see the true colours of Indians because of my employer who kept tossing me from place to place in south India. My fresher batch mates were taunted, as they were dark-skinned people, and all the people who taunted them were from Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon. Do you think you are racially superior?

When I was in South India, Tamil people used to discriminate less than people from Punjab, Bihar and Bengal who has literally formed groups of people belonging to their own community in Chennai. We had faced more problems from them than from anybody else.

Of all the people I have met, people from around Delhi have been seriously racist. I even remember a chap from Delhi who was a Tamil speaker, being taunted by other chaps of his Delhi group about the appearance of his Tamil people.

And you do not tell me about being cosmopolitan? Go to any city in any north Indian state. People there do not appreciate you publicly celebrating your festivals, except in Military areas. Whatever you do, you do it at home.

That is what I am against. If you want us to live in your states and adjust as per your culture, then the feeling is mutual. People like you want the places where you migrate to to be just like the place where you came from. You want the best of everything. You are the ones who think that you are supreme and hence want only people who follow your culture to be around you.

I never once mentioned that "Marathi speakers are the supremest" in any of my posts if you could read carefully.

The problem with you people is that you always prefer "italian khana" over "desi jewan".

Comment

Originally posted by sonubhatia View Post
                One last thing India will never have complete progress until we keep fighting within ourself and on useless things. Look at USA or even China they have progress in all area because there are only americans in USA and Only Chinese in China but only in India u dont find Indians. all r either Marathi, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Telgu and 25 other nationals. Only time we are indians is whn India playing Pakistan in Cricket.

Note: Dialogue is not mine but seriously the problem is mine.
                Then use only English as the language of communication. Why use local Hindi dialects are official in central exams? Why are IIT papers printed in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Bangla? If Marathi people demand some thing if others have already got, then why are you stomachs churning now? Stop this hypocrisy please.

Nobody is against migration. But if in Pune even non-ghati (Ghati means those living in the ghat areas, and speak with a heavy accent) are referred to as Ghati by people who have recently come from outside and hence are discriminated against by these outsiders, then pray tell me what should we do? Had you been in my place, you would have already thrown them out.

Comment

Originally posted by nimish1981 View Post
                  Then use only English as the language of communication. Why use local Hindi dialects are official in central exams? Why are IIT papers printed in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Bangla? If Marathi people demand some thing if others have already got, then why are you stomachs churning now? Stop this hypocrisy please.

Nobody is against migration. But if in Pune even non-ghati (Ghati means those living in the ghat areas, and speak with a heavy accent) are referred to as Ghati by people who have recently come from outside and hence are discriminated against by these outsiders, then pray tell me what should we do? Had you been in my place, you would have already thrown them out.
                  i thought we were discussing about Wakad's cosmopolitan aspect in this thread!!

But i agree with you...this discrimination will exist, sometimes a bit subtle and sometimes blatant..depends how you read and tackle them..

Comment

Racist mentality of brokers towards localites.

Pune also showed me another aspect of discrimination. That from the real-estate brokers.

I called up one Mr.Soni, who had a distinct UP twang to his Hindi, about a 1BHK flat in Girija Shankar Vihar. I do not remember the conversation exactly as this was over an year ago, but it went something like this.

I did not mention my budget, just let him know my requirements. He himself mentioned "Chalees lakh quote kar rahe hain". I said "Hmm, Chalees lakh, ok" and took a pause. He quickly said, "Aapk ka uthan budget nahi hoga na? Mostly aap logon ka budget utna nahi hota." I did not say anything, just kept the down.

Now WTF does that guy mean by "App logon ka budget". Yes, we do not have black money like those from the Hindi heartland, but should you taunt somebody who has not even mentioned his budget yet?

Another example is one guy in Pimpale Saudagar. This one was a Punjabi. I asked him to show me flats at Wakad and PS. I do not like PS as I believe it is full of buildings and no greenery, otherwise there are no other issues with that place. I told him so. He immediately said "Aap ko to koi Marathi area chaiye hoga na?".

WTF do you mean by that dude? "Marathi area"? The whole of Pune is a "Marathi area". Now is that not discrimination?

Now take the example of my colleagues. They say "Kothrud, Earndawane, Baner, Pashan utna apna apna sa nahi lagta, PS mein hamare yahan ke bahut log hain". Now is this not pro-ghetto culture?

And sonubhatia speaks about "Marathi supremacy". I call it "north-Indian racist mentality". Prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by findingnemo View Post
                      Guys, discussion is going little awry. Anyways, i have lived in Pune for pretty long time.

I have lot of Marathi friends(few very close) and they are mix of traditional + cosmo guys and we did lot of funny things together. i learnt litbit marathi n taught some punjabi too. . So, i think nobody is bothered much about all these issues now(puneri/non-puneri). Overall i think MH guys are pretty cool, peace loving and very good friends.

Overall i think if i am most comformtable in India to settle anywhere then Pune is definitely one of the places out of very few choices.

So chill guys. Lets focus on development, better infra and mutual respect and love.
                      Oye paaji, tusi great ho. Par baaki racist hain, unka kya karu?

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X