Is Wakad going to be Cosmopolitan

Last updated: August 28 2010
53 | Posts
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Is Wakad going to be Cosmopolitan

Originally posted by nimish1981 View Post
    Pune also showed me another aspect of discrimination. That from the real-estate brokers.

I called up one Mr.Soni, who had a distinct UP twang to his Hindi, about a 1BHK flat in Girija Shankar Vihar. I do not remember the conversation exactly as this was over an year ago, but it went something like this.

I did not mention my budget, just let him know my requirements. He himself mentioned "Chalees lakh quote kar rahe hain". I said "Hmm, Chalees lakh, ok" and took a pause. He quickly said, "Aapk ka uthan budget nahi hoga na? Mostly aap logon ka budget utna nahi hota." I did not say anything, just kept the down.

Now WTF does that guy mean by "App logon ka budget". Yes, we do not have black money like those from the Hindi heartland, but should you taunt somebody who has not even mentioned his budget yet?

Another example is one guy in Pimpale Saudagar. This one was a Punjabi. I asked him to show me flats at Wakad and PS. I do not like PS as I believe it is full of buildings and no greenery, otherwise there are no other issues with that place. I told him so. He immediately said "Aap ko to koi Marathi area chaiye hoga na?".

WTF do you mean by that dude? "Marathi area"? The whole of Pune is a "Marathi area". Now is that not discrimination?

Now take the example of my colleagues. They say "Kothrud, Earndawane, Baner, Pashan utna apna apna sa nahi lagta, PS mein hamare yahan ke bahut log hain". Now is this not pro-ghetto culture?

And sonubhatia speaks about "Marathi supremacy". I call it "north-Indian racist mentality". Prove me wrong.
    nimish1981 :- I m sending reply in your prvt message lets not use this forum for our personal agenda. BTW after being born here and living here i dont see myself as north indian rather more as Maharastrian.

As Far as Wakad is concern only way it will be a cosmo is when roads are done more parks are made and the street vendors are given proper shops. If a shopping mall with mutliplex comes up the whole area will be transfered with a day. but looking at the buildings comming up i dont see any chances of Shopping mall.

Comment

Originally posted by sonubhatia View Post
      One last thing India will never have complete progress until we keep fighting within ourself and on useless things. Look at USA or even China they have progress in all area because there are only americans in USA and Only Chinese in China but only in India u dont find Indians. all r either Marathi, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil, Telgu and 25 other nationals. Only time we are indians is whn India playing Pakistan in Cricket.

Note: Dialogue is not mine but seriously the problem is mine.
      Sirs, I guess you are taking this off the point. I assume that I take neutral point of view and accordingly I would put my views:

Since I live in Mumbai and my heart lives in there too, I can frankly assume that everybody likes to make his or own community. if you go to some areas of ghatkopar or kalina you will come to know what this refuge area looks like. I don't think you can stand there a moment. Having said that I have lot of friends with diff religon and no offence as regards religon is concerned.
      I can't say more that this that my Bai is Musim (from bangladesh). And I'm a KOBRA.
      Pt is in general ppl tend to form ghetos.
      As regards yours point goes for US, any white at any given point won't live near black community, so don't say in US american is american.
      Chinese too have this kind of mentality.
      Even in Africa, you can't recognise difference betw 2 black ppl and their community, but they usually do and volience there has been just too much that manking have ever seen in history.
      So this usually happens in every part of the world.
      Last edited by saggii; July 25 2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abeerbagul View Post
        Well, I was born and brought up on Law College road, and just few years back had to emigrate to the outskirts of Pune, i.e. Dahanukar Colony.

So am as Puneri as they come. Main problem with us is that we think Puneri are the "most cultured" people on earth. We also think that fraternizing with aliens such as other Maharashtrians and Indians is a social service that we do out of the kindness of our hearts.

Our neighbourhoods are not Kalyaninagar, Wakad, but UK, Silicon Valley, etc.

Anything beyond Deccan (like Camp, Satara Road), needs a passport, visa and travel insurance.
        Well said, I agree in totality.

Comment

Originally posted by saggii View Post
          Sirs, I guess you are taking this off the point. I assume that I take neutral point of view and accordingly I would put my views:

Since I live in Mumbai and my heart lives in there too, I can frankly assume that everybody likes to make his or own community. if you go to some areas of ghatkopar or kalina you will come to know what this refuge area looks like. I don't think you can stand there a moment. Having said that I have lot of friends with diff religon and no offence as regards religon is concerned.
          I can't say more that this that my Bai is Musim (from bangladesh). And I'm a KOBRA.
          Pt is in general ppl tend to form ghetos.
          As regards yours point goes for US, any white at any given point won't live near black community, so don't say in US american is american.
          Chinese too have this kind of mentality.
          Even in Africa, you can't recognise difference betw 2 black ppl and their community, but they usually do and volience there has been just too much that manking have ever seen in history.
          So this usually happens in every part of the world.
          Seriously Africa?? Now you want us to go backward and look at Africa?

Comment

Seriously Africa?? Now you want us to go backward and look at Africa?
            Sir, if you haven't been to africa then don't speak a word about it. And BTW I was talking about human nature to form ghetos/communities all over the world. what is it anyways related to being backwards? Lemme tell you stop distinguishing about comparing ones wealth with other, for thousand of year we have lived in this word where there were no big buildings no cars no infra.ppl have lived in this way since ever so what if one has big car and other hasn't, afterall we all are humans.
            If you ask me yes I love africa. what you think is what not what you know. My funda of thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by saggii View Post
              Sir, if you haven't been to africa then don't speak a word about it. And BTW I was talking about human nature to form ghetos/communities all over the world. what is it anyways related to being backwards? Lemme tell you stop distinguishing about comparing ones wealth with other, for thousand of year we have lived in this word where there were no big buildings no cars no infra.ppl have lived in this way since ever so what if one has big car and other hasn't, afterall we all are humans.
              If you ask me yes I love africa. what you think is what not what you know. My funda of thinking...

Saggi i talking about Infrastructure here. currently USA and china have best infrastructure nuthing against your african fellows.

Comment

Urban dwellers will live on fertile farmland which was acquired by builders and these complexes will be cosmopolitan. However adjacent to Wakad is Thergoan which is a typical village with narrow roads and high density. Hardly a place which will command a premium in the future. Also there is no scope of redevelopment in Pune as farmland will still be available.
                The Omega project in Wakad is one such example which was built on farmland. Incidentely I was present at their launch when they were selling at 1400 rs per sq/ft in Dec 2005 including kitchen and some furnishings. I remember seeing few buyers with checkbooks there. As per the locals the Omega land was a cotton farm with rich black soil. Who could tell in Dec 2005 the rise realty would have in the next 4 years !
                Last edited by rameshyahoo; July 26 2010, 08:48 AM.

Comment

nimish1981 :- I m sending reply in your prvt message lets not use this forum for our personal agenda. BTW after being born here and living here i dont see myself as north indian rather more as Maharastrian.

As Far as Wakad is concern only way it will be a cosmo is when roads are done more parks are made and the street vendors are given proper shops. If a shopping mall with mutliplex comes up the whole area will be transfered with a day. but looking at the buildings comming up i dont see any chances of Shopping mall.
                  Ok, Sonubhatia ji, as you say.

Comment

I am opposed to ghetto culture. There are many reasons. I am using the word "outsider" for recent migrants.

1) Dividing a society between localites and everybody else has been going on since a long time everywhere in the world. So my opposition to the original post was because of this reason. The person has specifically uesed the word cosmopolitan to mean non-Marathi.

2) If you have areas where BPO culture people live, then you have escalated rates. Agreed that expensive shops and hotels would line the area, but that is because of a perception that BPO chaps have large amounts of money. And generally BPO culture is equated to "English" culture, ask the agents a nd brokers, they will tell you. So if you are a localite or a migrant with a family, you will never live in this area. The people here will need to pay more taxes, and also bear the ire of the authorities because of their lifestyle. One recession, and this area will feature bankrupt businesses and "to let" signs.

3) In other more better areas where non-local families reside, only due to their attitude, locals will not want to help them. It would be a little difficult to get things done here. I know places in Pune where the garage mechanic, maidservant charge more than even Prabhat road or KP. And this is when the gas agency is less than 5kms away on a straight road, but still demands money to deliver till your home, the maid servant lives close by, but because you are a "Hindi-bolnewale sahab" and do not know anything about the localites. The local authorities will fleece you as you do not know their ways.

4) Two years before any election or two years after it, ONLY the local people get their problems solved, and outsiders are seen as a cause of the problem. It is not necessary that outsiders are really that rich, so they are unfortunately given the cold shoulder. And with their policy of not mixing with the localites costs them dear.

Comment

What is cosmo

Agree with abeer. I would like to make following cases:-

There are 3 types of people:-

1. Whose several generations have been native of Pune,
                      2. Whose parents are from outside Pune but s/he is born & brought up in Pune,
                      3. Who migrate to Pune for studies/work.

I fall between 2. & 3. based on which I can say the following:-

In past 10 yrs or so, Pune started developing at higher pace than before, more localities developed & it was in these new localities that 'outsiders' settled. This includes people withing Mah but outside Pune. This led to the so called cosmo crowd in new areas as abeer said that type1 Puneties never went in those areas.

This thing is more about scattered pockets of development. There is Hinjewadi & nothing till Katraj on Bangalore side, & nothing till Talegaon on Mumbai side. Had the Hinjewadi IT park been at say Bavdhan, Kothrud too would have had more of a mixed crowd.

Based on location, I must see the Delhi side on east & Chennai side on south are very strong about local things. See how Chennai was on street when LTTE was attacked by Sri Lankan forces. As far as Delhi is concerned, there is no respect for women in general, Punjabis (non-Sardar) & UP-Biharis topping the list. They have that MAN attitude where man is supreme. If you look at se-x ratio, the north compares far worst than any other part of the country.

For me, I can stay only in following states:-

Maharashtra, Gujarat & Karnataka.

*PS:- I have 3 neighbors, 2 Gujju & 1 Sardar. The Gujjus speak Marathi fluently but hey not like Peth tone (they (the boys/men of my age, 2/3 generation) can't speak Gujarati) & Sardar says "Bhukh lagli, khayla dya". So, what can my neighborhood then be considered, cosmo or non-cosmo??
                      Last edited by realacres; July 26 2010, 01:09 PM.
                      If you are happy, you are successful.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                      Working...
                      X