Thanks Indian Real Estate Forum for providing an excellent platform where we can share our thoughts democratically and without fear.

I initiallly wanted to settle in Pune, and bought a property at Chakan (since my office was there). I had seen a lot of North Indians settling in Pune and thus made a choice.

However, looking at unfavorable external political factors, a highly biased public opinion and lot of lobby by locals in office against north Indians, I chose to opt out. Looking at the highly charged up events daily (see the news) and at most offices (well you have to work in Pune to find that out), I would not recommend any outsider to stay permanently.

It is good that Congress is ruling Maharashtra, but for how long? Sooner or later (in next elections), Shiv Sena would come in power alongwith MNS (Raj Thackeray), and looking at the way outsiders are treated in the State of Maharahstra at this time, I am not sure if we would command ANY respect.I love my wife and daughter, and for their safety, I would move out of this state within next 3 years.

This forum has many unbiased members...if anyone could enlighten if they feel the same way as I feel.
Read more
54 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by raumybhan
    Thanks Indian Real Estate Forum for providing an excellent platform where we can share our thoughts democratically and without fear.

I initiallly wanted to settle in Pune, and bought a property at Chakan (since my office was there). I had seen a lot of North Indians settling in Pune and thus made a choice.

However, looking at unfavorable external political factors, a highly biased public opinion and lot of lobby by locals in office against north Indians, I chose to opt out. Looking at the highly charged up events daily (see the news) and at most offices (well you have to work in Pune to find that out), I would not recommend any outsider to stay permanently.

It is good that Congress is ruling Maharashtra, but for how long? Sooner or later (in next elections), Shiv Sena would come in power alongwith MNS (Raj Thackeray), and looking at the way outsiders are treated in the State of Maharahstra at this time, I am not sure if we would command ANY respect.I love my wife and daughter, and for their safety, I would move out of this state within next 3 years.

This forum has many unbiased members...if anyone could enlighten if they feel the same way as I feel.

Whatever,u r saying is an emotional issue for many, but i suppose this has to be an individual's decision.

It's better to keep out politics , from the discussions in the forum, as political discussions tend to become real messy/dirty & the objective of this forum is not served too & gets defeated.

This is my personal view.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks buddy! point taken.
    CommentQuote
  • I am sorry to hear this, but tend to disagree. Pune is cosmopolitan and many north Indians live here and are most welcome.

It must be that you mostly worked in wrong offices.

I totally do not agree that most offices are bad for North Indians.
    CommentQuote
  • Paranoia at its peak. What? Are you suggesting that Pune is unsafe because of Shiv Sena or MNS? You're joking. No Sena can do any harm to you; you can come and stay in Pune; but also learn and teach your children Marathi language voluntarily. How many north Indians died or suffered in any riots in Maharashtra? Don't make mountain out of a mole

Moreover what lobby of locals man? Everyone suffers equally.
    CommentQuote
  • I Love Pune. Its better than all metros in India.

Builders love Pune even more as they earn
    highest margin here :bab (59): .
    CommentQuote
  • Like it or not

Like it or not , this is one of the cities with many good pay job offerings. So it's simple, take a good pay and cope up with outside situation or find another more compatible place ( that pays less) . Now if this city is so dangerous for north indians and they are still here justifies one of the facts that love for money and job is larger than love for family OR there's no such violence in the city that you talk of....pick one.
    :bab (6):
    CommentQuote
  • Lets be mature enough and understand the view point of raumybhan. May be an incident directly or indirectly led to such a conclusion.
    However raumybhan, generalising it to an extent where all North Indians should leave Pune and run for life is too much. There had been full terms by Shiv Sena in power and nothing much has happened in terms making Mahrashtra North India free, so please dont do scare mongering. Also, Pune is one of the most accomodating cities in India (and I am saying this after leaving in nearly 6 of the major cities of India).

Also, I hate when people dont talk about adaptation to the surroundings. If you are in Maharashtra, you should, for your own ease, pick up the local language (i dont know why its such a big bone of contention). Its a natural process which is followed by all animals incl. Human beings. Our rigidity in appreciating different cultures and respecting different languages is the last barrier for us to truly integrate India.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks

I agree with RajeshP that probably I work in a wrong office. In fact, I just came to know that all companies operating in Pune SEZs/ MIDCs etc. have reservation of 80% for those, who are domiciled in Maharashtra (as per a local law). So naturally, my company has majority of locals (but they have not harmed me in any way). Pune is a lovely city for sure.

I agree with Zuzuzu that people are here for money...same for me till the time I find my next job which would again be for money.

thanks Neerajbans...i agree that we should pick local langauge (which I am trying to do). With your experience in 6 big cities (e,g, Bangalore/ Kolkata/ Ahmedabad/ Pune/ Hyderabad etc) you would have surely known Bangla/ Marathi/ Gujarati/ Kannad/ Telegu etc). This is excellent for development of a wholesome personality, and must be recommended.

In fact, there is a law which says that I cannot apply for any Mhada scheme unless I am domiciled in Maharahstra for 15 years minimum....but last year when I applied for Greater Noida plots in UP, there was no such requirement....so I thought if my knowledge is wrong or what?

My sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended...I just wrote what I thought was a threat to my stability (& I didn't say anything against any locals)...Maharashtrians are the best species of humans I have ever seen in my life...believe me plz.:o
    CommentQuote
  • It is real good to see mature , positive responses from members of the forum.

& raumybhan , nobody is offended. What u wrote was straight talk, right from the heart.
    CommentQuote
  • If you compare Hyderabad,Chennai ,Calcutta VS Pune OR for that matter maharashtra is way good than other three metros mentioned.

Pune(Maharashtra) ppl are definitely more cooperative than thsee three cities. Marashtrians will easily speak with you in hindi but if you go in other cities I don't think they will talk to you in hindi..

Bottomline Pune,mumbai maharashtra is 10times better to stay and settle down.

Forget about local pune politicos...if the time comes Congress coprporators will act differently with you... Don't mix politics with typical local professional ppl (working class ) . Professional pune ppl are always good to deal with any indian!

Again this is my personal opinion after seeing other cities.
    CommentQuote
  • I don't recollect any incidence of act against non-Maharashtrian in Pune, in any newspaper. So why such kind of discussion starts ?
    I have stayed in Chennai, Banglore and Delhi. I have come across many incidences particularly in Chennai and Banglore. Onetime the bus conductor in Banglore was not listening my hindi deliberately to give me ticket. That was the last time I traveled by bus in Banglore. In another, the ricksha driver simply has not noticed me when I talk to him in Hindi when I was trying to board one.
    I never ever heard such kind of thing in Pune or also in Mumbai. So why this discussion ?
    CommentQuote
  • Yep, the MNS vs Bihari clashes were mainly focussed on low budget class, like blue collar workers and people who came to give railway exams etc. I have a few friends from UP who are now settled in Pune LONG time ago, and now living a very good life.

I have other reasons to doubt Pune's liveablility, like insane traffic and corrupt politicians, and even safety for a lone traveller (be it male or female) but regional safety is certainly a far off thought.

Personally, I love Pune for its temperature and possibility of living nearby your work place without having to sell your kidney. In Mumbai, may a times you can't even dream of having a flat near 40 mins of travelling of your workplace! In Pune, you will ALWAYS find something good to stay near 5-10 mins of workplace.

So I think don't worry too much about the regional clashes.
    CommentQuote
  • Pune is one of the safest cities to live in . If you've been in different cities , regions , countries then you should know that in return for the livelihood offered to you it is also your duty to respect the local language and culture . I've many friends from North and South of India settled in Pune/Maharashtra for generations . These people have blended into the local populace with ease . Don't blame a city or region based on a few personal experiences in few years as there are few rotten mangoes everywhere and opinions may be biased .Today you cannot guarantee livelihood only in the city or region that you were born . Kindly give respect to your karmabhoomi equally as to your janmabhoomi and you'll have a much better and peaceful life . By the way this is supposed to be an RE forum and the original post seems to be off the subject !
    CommentQuote
  • Very well said , suryawork.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by MANOJa
    Very well said , suryawork.

I copy that !

:bab (48):
    CommentQuote