Thanks Indian Real Estate Forum for providing an excellent platform where we can share our thoughts democratically and without fear.

I initiallly wanted to settle in Pune, and bought a property at Chakan (since my office was there). I had seen a lot of North Indians settling in Pune and thus made a choice.

However, looking at unfavorable external political factors, a highly biased public opinion and lot of lobby by locals in office against north Indians, I chose to opt out. Looking at the highly charged up events daily (see the news) and at most offices (well you have to work in Pune to find that out), I would not recommend any outsider to stay permanently.

It is good that Congress is ruling Maharashtra, but for how long? Sooner or later (in next elections), Shiv Sena would come in power alongwith MNS (Raj Thackeray), and looking at the way outsiders are treated in the State of Maharahstra at this time, I am not sure if we would command ANY respect.I love my wife and daughter, and for their safety, I would move out of this state within next 3 years.

This forum has many unbiased members...if anyone could enlighten if they feel the same way as I feel.
Read more
54 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • I also have been stayed in many cities and even in Chennai. Even I found Chennai people are very cooperative they helped me in very critical situation. And main thing is thinking, If a person is going to differentiate you on the state basis means he will not stop at that point itself. If he meets his own state person then try to differentiate on the region, sub region, cast and bala bala. Divisions always have sub division. Even one of my friends is from Maharashtra but not from Pune. He says, look people say he is out sider in Pune. But yes it should not be a political agenda.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Saurabh01
    I also have been stayed in many cities and even in Chennai. Even I found Chennai people are very cooperative they helped me in very critical situation. And main thing is thinking, If a person is going to differentiate you on the state basis means he will not stop at that point itself. If he meets his own state person then try to differentiate on the region, sub region, cast and bala bala. Divisions always have sub division. Even one of my friends is from Maharashtra but not from Pune. He says, look people say he is out sider in Pune. But yes it should not be a political agenda.

when common people do it, it is not always because of hatred ... it is just because they are comfortable with others who are from the same background... this is a universal principle everywhere ... people prefer to be close with someone who understands their culture, customs, food and social behavior...

what is most important is, if one is at a place where the surrounding has different social norms, keep your specific items limited to yourself... Just because Pune has a 10 day Ganapati festival stopping most of the city, Punekar's dont do (or expect) that in other cities... but when people from other states try to communalize their specific customs, majority natives do not appreciate it.
    CommentQuote
  • Nice discussion here, a breadk from direct RE (though this is related to RE coz if all outsiders vanish, all builders too would vanish---- from their investors:D).

Anyways, from my experience, if you respect each other's language, cultures etc. you won't find any problem. The issue arises when I see North Indians, especially from UP-Bihar trying to make other states also as UP-Bihar kicks off dhishum-dhishum sequel:D. Ever seen MNS or locals for that matter acting against Rajasthani kiranawala/baniya, Gujju or Punjabi businessman or south Indian colleague?? Why is it that only UP-Bihar is the problem?? It is for the simple reason that people outside feel that you don't improve your own state & hence come here to spoil others'. Same thing can't be said about Gujarat/Punjab/Karnataka, as they are better or at par with Maharashtra.

UP-Biharis if make their own state good, will be then welcomed with open arms as the attitude towards them changes. It is the Lalus, Mullus & haathi chap behenjee which should be kicked out first.

Btw, I have booked Ganpati today:). Though we don't have this in our family, because of my liking of Ganesh, the family has one now right from the day we stay here:).
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by punerebuyer

Just because Pune has a 10 day Ganapati festival stopping most of the city, Punekar's dont do (or expect) that in other cities... but when people from other states try to communalize their specific customs, majority natives do not appreciate it.

I don’t agree on that, I started celebrating the Ganapti festival from Noida. My landlord was from Maharashtra and celebrating it 11 days. You can’t say this. Even if you go in Delhi there is huge celebration of “Durga Pooja”. No one object you to celebrate the festivals.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by raumybhan
    I agree with RajeshP that probably I work in a wrong office. In fact, I just came to know that all companies operating in Pune SEZs/ MIDCs etc. have reservation of 80% for those, who are domiciled in Maharashtra (as per a local law). So naturally, my company has majority of locals (but they have not harmed me in any way). Pune is a lovely city for sure.

I agree with Zuzuzu that people are here for money...same for me till the time I find my next job which would again be for money.

thanks Neerajbans...i agree that we should pick local langauge (which I am trying to do). With your experience in 6 big cities (e,g, Bangalore/ Kolkata/ Ahmedabad/ Pune/ Hyderabad etc) you would have surely known Bangla/ Marathi/ Gujarati/ Kannad/ Telegu etc). This is excellent for development of a wholesome personality, and must be recommended.

In fact, there is a law which says that I cannot apply for any Mhada scheme unless I am domiciled in Maharahstra for 15 years minimum....but last year when I applied for Greater Noida plots in UP, there was no such requirement....so I thought if my knowledge is wrong or what?

My sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended...I just wrote what I thought was a threat to my stability (& I didn't say anything against any locals)...Maharashtrians are the best species of humans I have ever seen in my life...believe me plz.:o

Conclusion: Pune is a good place and welcomes every Indian very warmly to make it his/her home.

Conclusion for raumybhan: Pack your bag and run as soon as possible.

Applying for work in Hinjewadi companies like Indy and Wipro, they are asking proof of Maharashtra domicile and unless you provide this document they wont give you employment even if you do very well in Interview and have good experience.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by RAJESHP

Applying for work in Hinjewadi companies like Indy and Wipro, they are asking proof of Maharashtra domicile and unless you provide this document they wont give you employment even if you do very well in Interview and have good experience.

Can't stop laughing :D . People can be very creative in generating rumours.
    CommentQuote
  • Infact some Punekars detest Mumbaikars who they say are corrupting the city and blame them for the increasing house prices, same is case of some bangaloreans who blame outsiders.
    Its best to live in areas where educated more broadminded people live who are self-sufficient. If my purse is full, I don't think of pointing fingers at others for empty purse.

MNS/SS will continue their rhetoric to get votes. don't expect them to give up anytime in the next 30 years
    CommentQuote

Are you sure ?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Nice discussion here, a breadk from direct RE (though this is related to RE coz if all outsiders vanish, all builders too would vanish---- from their investors:D).

Anyways, from my experience, if you respect each other's language, cultures etc. you won't find any problem. The issue arises when I see North Indians, especially from UP-Bihar trying to make other states also as UP-Bihar kicks off dhishum-dhishum sequel:D. Ever seen MNS or locals for that matter acting against Rajasthani kiranawala/baniya, Gujju or Punjabi businessman or south Indian colleague?? Why is it that only UP-Bihar is the problem?? It is for the simple reason that people outside feel that you don't improve your own state & hence come here to spoil others'. Same thing can't be said about Gujarat/Punjab/Karnataka, as they are better or at par with Maharashtra.

UP-Biharis if make their own state good, will be then welcomed with open arms as the attitude towards them changes. It is the Lalus, Mullus & haathi chap behenjee which should be kicked out first.

+1.........And MNS -SS are far better than Behenji...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rameshyahoo
    Infact some Punekars detest Mumbaikars who they say are corrupting the city and blame them for the increasing house prices, same is case of some bangaloreans who blame outsiders.
    Its best to live in areas where educated more broadminded people live who are self-sufficient. If my purse is full, I don't think of pointing fingers at others for empty purse.

MNS/SS will continue their rhetoric to get votes. don't expect them to give up anytime in the next 30 years

What do you mean?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by mahesh pune
    Are you sure ?

Dude that was sarcastic comment. Original thread poster mentioned about this as local law :D:D:D
    CommentQuote
    Dude that was sarcastic comment. Original thread poster mentioned about this as local law :D:D:D

Hmm... Law is correct and is there but not applicable to IT companies.
    CommentQuote
    I don’t agree on that, I started celebrating the Ganapti festival from Noida. My landlord was from Maharashtra and celebrating it 11 days. You can’t say this. Even if you go in Delhi there is huge celebration of “Durga Pooja”. No one object you to celebrate the festivals.

i am not saying festivals are not celebrated, i am saying they are not celebrated the way they are in the original cities... do you see a 24+ hour 'Ganesh Visarjan' procession anywhere else but Pune?

and maybe festivals is a bad example from my side... the point was that some things which are specific to your culture/customs should be practiced in a way not to offend/disturb the majority local community AND participate in the local customs if you like but do not criticize them if you dont like them...
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Nice discussion here, a breadk from direct RE (though this is related to RE coz if all outsiders vanish, all builders too would vanish---- from their investors:D).

Btw, I have booked Ganpati today:). Though we don't have this in our family, because of my liking of Ganesh, the family has one now right from the day we stay here:).

Control your temptation realacre you will gain nothing ,this is not a forum to be offensive against any community .
    CommentQuote

This example shows that it was celebrated on individual level. This is normally done not only in Noida but any part of the world. You can do this even you settle in Czec Republic.
    This doesn't justify that some people do some celebrations to make a political statement. And the problem starts when such kind of thing occur. I dont think Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated anywhere outside Maharashtra to make political statement. That's the difference. And thats why Maharashtra is the best state in this regard.
    CommentQuote