Guys, I have been looking around the threads but couldn’t find any info on the interior designing. We submit forums till we plan to buy house what about after buying the flat...what type of interior should be designed??? Any specific consideration to be given while designing etc….

I know it depends on individual needs but I am sure you as a reader can suggest some good websites and also some good designers in PUNE. OR your own experience.

Pls add your valuable inputs
Read more
55 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • HGTV dot com

I went through this website for design ideas and got a local designer to make what I wanted!
    CommentQuote
  • I am doing a interior work of my flat from last 2 months and it is 90% complete now
    In this 2 months i learn a lot about how to deal with a interior designer
    There are generally 2 methods of interior designing work
    1.Pay the labor and design chars as % of material cost
    In this case material is brought by you and you need to pay around 27 to 30%
    as labor charges and 10% as design charges on material cost.
    2.Total interior of a flat on turn key basis (I opted for this)
    both methods are its own pro/cons
    cons for option 1
    1.If you bought the material then carpenter will
    lot of wastage so that he can get more labor charges as labor charge are 30% of material cost
    2.Getting material from timber market,loading,unloading,transport is your headache and you need enough time for this
    3.Plywood and laminate , you will get at higher rate then carpenters rate as you are individual buyer
    4.Other vendors like electrician, plumber, civil contractor(if needed),painter , POP-False ceiling contractor , all this you need to arrange or deal individually and need to negotiate with each one of this
    5.Need to manage dependency like electrician wiring must be complete before POP sheets are fitted on top like that
    managing all this at same time is lot of time consuming task and you need someone to look after this project full time
    pros
    you can get good quality material from market as per your choice
    no tension if new additional work need to be performed after starting the work
    if you do not like , you can ask to dismantle and rebuild the item

IF you go for option 1 where you appoint a interior on turn key basis then material purchasing , getting other vendors all is his headache and you need not to worry about management
    cons
    1.Interior will get cheapest material from market , may not upto a mark and quality
    so you need to be quality conscious in this case
    2,If some additional work need to be completed which was not initially discovered , interior will refuse to do any extra work , forgot work hi will not increse a dimension of any item once order is finalized
    3.you do not have that free hand and need to follow interior for ex: you do not like a handle for wardrobe suggested by interior , so you have hardly any scope to change it

Generally costing wise both are same
    For 2bHK newly constructed flat with ZERO furniture you will need around Rs. 5 to 6 lacs with medium quality means plywood is local brand
    IF you got for century ply,kitply brands then it will increase by 40-50%
    This is not too good not too bad like material since this is matter of individual choice and liking
    Like you can get curtains from Rs.100 per mtr to Rs.1000 per mtr
    Modular Kitchen – 1 lac
    Luster paint with some wall as texture paint – 30-40K
    False ceiling POP for hall and 2 bedroom – 40-50K
    Hall/living furniture (TV unit, center table , shoe case) – 1 lac
    2 bedrooms with 4 door wardrobes in each, double beds with side tables , study tables – 2 lacs
    Sofa 5 seater : 50K
    Dining table : 30K
    Misc. : Mattress, light fittings, curtains etc. : 50K

Guys , please share your experience , as I also did lot of search on net before starting my work 2 months back
    But I did not get any link anywhere.
    I got this site which is useful for pictures of furniture : expert.com
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sandy_pune
    I am doing a interior work of my flat from last 2 months and it is 90% complete now .........
    I got this site which is useful for pictures of furniture : expert.com

Very nice information and a useful thread too. BTW, expert.com directs me to Infosys :)

I love the HGTV website. They also have video of renovations and useful do it yourself tips.
    CommentQuote
    I am doing a interior work of my flat from last 2 months and it is 90% complete now
    In this 2 months i learn a lot about how to deal with a interior designer

Great info.

What your opinion on following points about modular kitchen

1> Is lamination like poly-acrylic with glossy or mat finish good option for Indian kitchen? I know that it is not scratch proof etc. But it looks really good and offers good options for colors etc hence very tempting for one to opt. I am not sure whether it is good enough to withstand Long running/ rough tough usage of kitchen.

2> MDF/HDF good enough for kitchen? Playwood or on the higher end Marine ply is better option/required in the long run?

3> Do these local makers use good quality steel/joiners/handles/rails/hinges with good brand such as ebco/hettich?

4> Is the quality of lamination to be trusted?

Finally will it be possible to get good quality kitchen done in 1 Lakhs with below spec.

1> MDF for carcass
    2> Lamination for face panel
    3> Rails/Hinges/Handles/Joiners from descent brand :)
    4> Good quality stainless steel

It would be greatly helpful if you could share your specific experiences.

Thanks, :)
    4> Good quality stainless steel

It would be greatly helpful if you could share your specific experiences.

Thanks,
    CommentQuote
  • sakelkar,

For mod kitchen, I would strongly recommend to go for company made modular kitchen than locally done by carpenters. Try Veneta Cucine, Hettich, Haecker, Poggenpohl.

You can see the Hettich kitchens near Connaught Place, bund garden road.
    CommentQuote
  • Contemporary Furniture

In last couple of years, the building materials & interior designing ideas are changing due to green building concept. It minimizes the use of wood/plywood materials & use steel & resin based panels. There are lots of contemporary style furniture available in US & Europe. You can explore the designs here,
    ArchiExpo - The Virtual Architecture Exhibition: kitchen, bathroom, lighting, furniture, office ...

If you would like to use resin panels here is source.
    UWST Series - Respa Architectural Resin Panels
    Remur Home - Resin wall panel, Acrylic panel, semi-translucent resin panel

PAINTS | ARCHITECT EXPLAINS | Architecture Ideas

Many of the designs are not readily available in Pune, if some one is keen they can order customized stuff.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    sakelkar,

For mod kitchen, I would strongly recommend to go for company made modular kitchen than locally done by carpenters. Try Veneta Cucine, Hettich, Haecker, Poggenpohl.

You can see the Hettich kitchens near Connaught Place, bund garden road.

What about the costs :bab (59):. I think branded kitchens must be costing bomb. I am looking for functional and neat kitchen not a super designer concepts since budget is priority as well.

But anyways I will check these places what you have mentioned.

Thanks,
    Sameer
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sakelkar
    What about the costs :bab (59):. I think branded kitchens must be costing bomb. I am looking for functional and neat kitchen not a super designer concepts since budget is priority as well.

But anyways I will check these places what you have mentioned.

Thanks,
    Sameer

A good one will cost 90k & above but once have have a look at it, you will realize the difference. What I particularly like is immaculate utilisation of space even in the corners where the drawers fold multiple times when inside & come out in one piece outside :). Other is you need not pull the drawers, simply tap on it, & it will come out about half feet on its own & then you can pull the remaining with ease. Locking & unlocking is smooth. Some also come with integrated lights & in-built microwave.

Man, you need to see it to believe it.

Btw, several products in these range come with big warranty periods & service is excellent.

* PS:- Personally, I would focus more on kitchen rather than any other room coz this is the room where members in your family work to keep you happy :), this is true even if you have your own butler. Just cook a meal yourself & then you will understand the reason :).
    CommentQuote
  • About poly acrylic glossy material for shutters for kitchen , i talked with interior and also with others and everybody has a opinion that scratches will be clearly seen on any glossy shutter so for shutter avoid any poly acrylic glossy material.
    Normal marine ply with good quality plain matt finish laminate will server the purpose.
    I have used stainless steel trolleys for all.
    Kitchen i also think now that get quote form suyesh, aditya, nuplus, Kitchen decor etc. There are many local vendors who
    will do it.
    One thing i forgot to mention is that always ask for 3D design view of entire flat once design are finalized.
    There is special which can give you a 3D view of flat after all the items like bed,wardrobe etc are put together
    You can change the positions of furniture items to see how the space is managed and how it look using that .
    Ask interior that you will need a 3D view before starting a work , it will clear the picture how your flat will look.
    CommentQuote
  • One thing is for sure this is great thread to share your interior design experience.

I have just booked a flat and will get ready in 3months time. I have thinking of getting it painted..they are giving this with distemper paint everywhere.

Isit OK? to get this painted to anyother form eg.. oil painting, matt finish etc... or being new flat i should wait for year or so to know how the walls behave in three season.

Besides this is there anything else i need to consider overall being a new flat???

Also, looking to do kitchen first and then other rooms etc...any suggestion? of good interior designers in pune or any links....besides the one shared by users.
    CommentQuote
    About poly acrylic glossy material for shutters for kitchen , i talked with interior and also with others and everybody has a opinion that scratches will be clearly seen on any glossy shutter so for shutter avoid any poly acrylic glossy material.
    Normal marine ply with good quality plain matt finish laminate will server the purpose.

Thanks. Reinforces my thinking.

Originally Posted by sandy_pune

Kitchen i also think now that get quote form suyesh, aditya, nuplus, Kitchen decor etc.

Yes I am going to talk to at least two/ if not three of above.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    A good one will cost 90k & above but once have have a look at it, you will realize the difference. What I particularly like is immaculate utilisation of space even in the corners where the drawers fold multiple times when inside & come out in one piece outside :). Other is you need not pull the drawers, simply tap on it, & it will come out about half feet on its own & then you can pull the remaining with ease. Locking & unlocking is smooth. Some also come with integrated lights & in-built microwave.

Man, you need to see it to believe it.

And seeing them I am for sure :). I have been to Ishanya mall. There I have seen some kitchens which match your description. But I remember cost was 1L +. But yes I am definitely planning to visit hettich/Veneta

Originally Posted by realacres

* PS:- Personally, I would focus more on kitchen rather than any other room coz this is the room where members in your family work to keep you happy :), this is true even if you have your own butler. Just cook a meal yourself & then you will understand the reason :).

Point is well made.
    CommentQuote
  • Did anyone visit the UTSAV mela happening at engineering grounds....if yes, did u see anything exciting on interior side/kitchen etc...
    CommentQuote
  • I got my kitchen done from sleek world ishanya. i am pretty satisfied with what I have got as an end user. It was a little expensive than regular ones, but quality was far superior.
    CommentQuote
  • Thanks...can you share some contact information or web link etc...would be great help
    CommentQuote