How does one go about getting a home inspection before buying a resale property?

This is especially important for older (say > 10 yrs) standalone house/rowhouse where one might be interested in ensuring that the structure/foundation etc. is safe and sound. So that maybe later the buyer can makes changes to inside walls etc., but obviously the house has to have been built well in first place.

In some countries, home inspection by a registered and a qualified inspection is necessary before the bank sanctions any loan. What is the scene in Pune?

And do you guys know of any qualified individual who can do such inspections for structure and construction quality?

Thanks.
Read more
6 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Home inspection

Hi,

Even though iam a nee bee here..i have some information...

There are some thirdy party consultants who will estimate like www.100floors.com... ......
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abrakadabra
    How does one go about getting a home inspection before buying a resale property?

This is especially important for older (say > 10 yrs) standalone house/rowhouse where one might be interested in ensuring that the structure/foundation etc. is safe and sound. So that maybe later the buyer can makes changes to inside walls etc., but obviously the house has to have been built well in first place.

In some countries, home inspection by a registered and a qualified inspection is necessary before the bank sanctions any loan. What is the scene in Pune?

And do you guys know of any qualified individual who can do such inspections for structure and construction quality?

Thanks.

How prudent is the decision in the first place to buy a flat > 10 years old??

Ii should not give you a good resale value as it would be quiet ols by the time you decide to sell..........

For self use.....well I am not sure what are the things to look for :bab (38):
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by kingmanish
    How prudent is the decision in the first place to buy a flat > 10 years old??

Ii should not give you a good resale value as it would be quiet ols by the time you decide to sell..........

For self use.....well I am not sure what are the things to look for :bab (38):

I find it strange that we have come to a point that we believe 10 years as "old". I don't blame you, its just that the construction work and process has been so shoddy that we like to stay away from something that is even slightly older. Apartment life should be atleast 30-40 years minimum. Where can one find that kind of construction quality in our city? :bab (38):

In most countries in the west a 80 year old house is no big deal !!!
    CommentQuote
  • 80 year old HOUSE, not FLAT. Flats are rightfully suspected for quality, because in case of house, you can repair walls and roof. In case of flats, you don't know what the building has gone through in past, and how the other residents are maintaining the structure. A building can fall because of neighbour's overzealous renovation plans. Not so in case of an independent house.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abrakadabra
    I find it strange that we have come to a point that we believe 10 years as "old". I don't blame you, its just that the construction work and process has been so shoddy that we like to stay away from something that is even slightly older. Apartment life should be atleast 30-40 years minimum. Where can one find that kind of construction quality in our city? :bab (38):

In most countries in the west a 80 year old house is no big deal !!!

That's exactly the reason I am talkng about 10 years as old.

Earlier the build quality used to be so good that generations could pass living in the same house.

But now with new feautres like collapsable balconies.......falling walls and the facilty of rain dance in you room with leakage I wonder how much is the life of the building
    CommentQuote
  • Checks of old house

A qualified structural engineer would be helpful in assessing the soundness of house.
    Probably checks of seepage marks,electrical wiring can be done by visual inspection and using a qualified electrician.
    Well built concrete houses should generally last for 60-75 years.Structural audit can be got done.
    PMC approved engineers can be approached.College of engineering can be approached whether they have any engineer doing the structural audit.
    CommentQuote