Nowadays builders are providing wooden flooring in bedrooms. Is it really wooden flooring or wood finish tiles ?
Read more
34 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • I was thinking whethey they can be put in the hall/dining area to impress our guests ;) . Any thoughts on this ?
    CommentQuote
  • In CA, residential homes are wood because of earthquake issues. If US runs out of wood, then there is always the Amazon forest. Besides, tile is pretty too, why go for hardwood floors?
    CommentQuote
  • Nice thread. Here is something for you all.

Wooden flooring is actually in 4 types:-

1.) Solid WF,
    2.) Engineered WF,
    3.) Laminated WF,
    4.) Outdoor WF.

The first 2 are for rough uses indoors, where you can even drive a bicycle on it!! In India, most builders give 3rd one, where it is actually just a powder of wood (scrap) which is stuck together with glue & sheets on both sides. A laminated layer is put on it which gives you the color & design which you see. This is indeed eco-friendly coz trees are not cut for this, it is just the powder collected after cutting of trees is done for various purposes.

The outdoor WF is for outdoors, near swimming pool deck, margin area of skating ring etc. This is water & dust resistant.

Personally I do like wooden flooring especially for bedrooms as it gives cozy feel & it feels more soft for the feet too, no need to use indoor chappals. When temp falls in winter, even in Pune, I use indoor chappels or socks with rubber sole.

The other option which I like for flooring is Italian marble flooring. Looks damn good & feels solid :).

And yes, use of such floorings is not for mere aesthetic purpose but the life is more too. Man, just close the door of Maruti Ritz & close the door of VW Polo. Though both are doors, the sound of the 'THUD' is much nicer in Polo than Ritz!! Same is the case with flooring too.

* PS:- Vitrified tiles are not at all eco-friendly. If one studies the process of making vitrified tiles, it can be seen that several harmful chemicals are thrown out. The only eco-friendly floorings are those like marble, granite, stone flooring etc.
    CommentQuote
  • Speaking of eco-friendliness or un-friendliness, how does a population of 1.2 billion rate :)
    CommentQuote
  • Who are good dealers for Tiles in Pune ?
    CommentQuote
  • Sharing my knowledge

Wooden laminated flooring are for premium class first of all ..
    It gives a real rich and classy look to the room..
    Its a 10 - 15 mm wooden board with sunmica on the surface ..
    All those who are saying that it gets spoiled if due to water must not be knowing that
    Its available in water proof flooring too ..
    Branded one kajaria : rs 100 per sqft including labour..
    And normal starts frm "60Rs" sqft including labour
    So for a room of say 10ft X 15 ft ..
    It would cost 150(area) X 60 (price) = 9000 rs for wooden flooring in a bed room
    Regards:
    sB.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sauravsbban

And builder's demand atleast 500 psf extra it they put wooden flooring even in one room.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by suryawork
    True - Wooden floors and houses are suited for extreme cold regions - they save heating costs . Its a gimmick for luring foreign returnees from cold regions .

It's not the wooden floors, but the insulation or radiant heating underneath that decides how warm the floor gets. All things being equal, the warmest floors would be carpet, while tile would be coldest and wood in between. But the heating/cooling equation isn't relevant here until builders start providing insulation and hvac in apartments. Wood though is easier to clean than carpet, is easier on young kids than tile and can be installed yourself in many cases.
    CommentQuote
  • I personally like wooden floorings. Gives a nice look to the house. It is in no-way detrimental to the house.
    I understand that the "true" requirement is for cold regions. But it causes no harm in areas like Pune.
    CommentQuote
    All those who are saying that it gets spoiled if due to water must not be knowing that
    It would cost 150(area) X 60 (price) = 9000 rs for wooden flooring in a bed room
    Regards:
    sB.

+1. Agree completely.
    The good ones are like from Pergo & they start from INR 175/- onwards.
    Solid or engineered wooden flooring looks excellent. Personally, I like wooden flooring, especially in bedroom; while Italian marble does the trick for living/dining & Turkish stones in bathrooms.
    CommentQuote
  • real, can you put up more info abt costs of italian marble for a hall in 2 bhk and turkish stones for 2 bathrooms
    CommentQuote
  • Wooden flooring is part of modern furniture.Wooden flooring is best way to decorate room.In this way your room looking attractive.You can felling relax when you use wooden flooring in the room.
    CommentQuote
    Regards:
    sB.

Add to this the skirting, which is used to lock the planks + protect lower part of walls + give aesthetic look to the flooring. Each box contains some 5 skirting & will cost over 4.5k/box. Also, if you require say 6 skirting, then you need to buy one more box as these skirting plates are not sold loose.

Besides this, a steel plate with wood over-board is used to lock the panels at the door of the room. This will cost another 1-1.5k.

Good ones are Pergo, Somerset, Homerwood, Mirage, Kahrs.
    There is very good store in Mumbai, displaying tens of colors & types. Will post the details of the same here. Also, these wooden flooring come with warranty anywhere between 3-7 years.

Builders on other hand, import cheap, unbranded flooring which is thinner than branded ones; directly nail it near the door than using steel plate which is to be inserted in the floor after the tile is cut of this dimension.

My friend did his bedroom, 14x12 with pergo & total cost came around 28.6k.

Originally Posted by hrishikeshdeo
    real, can you put up more info abt costs of italian marble for a hall in 2 bhk and turkish stones for 2 bathrooms

Sure man. Give me some time, will post with all details.
    CommentQuote
  • Interior flooring is one of the basic components of interior design. Building our house and further if we are looking for bamboo flooring or wooden flooring then it is necessary to know the nitty-gritty behind its usage. The wooden flooring serves your expectations, if we are looking for inherent warmth and the comfortable feel while roaming around the place. The bamboo flooring or the wooden flooring gives an added value to your living place and is also really great in terms of its appearance. However, the limitation of these types of flooring is its cost as it is on the costlier side as compared to others. but i know a supplier who guide me a alot even about the cost.
    CommentQuote
  • Wooden flooring is just another fad by developers to attract customers or give premium feel to projects - INR 100 psft will give premium luk to project?-

Also, it is not suitable for hot/equatorial weather of India - it's suitable for places where it is very cold or have snow for most part of the year.

also, think of the environment impact of wooden flooring- - Just how many trees will get chopped for this is anyones guess. In India re-usable wood has not made its entry while in west they re-use wood for these floorings.

go for mosaic tiles....cleaning, maintaining them is far easy than marble or granite etc
    CommentQuote