Prices doubled from 2009...enough said....
Read more
538 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • The domestic IT market is growing by leaps and bounds

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk
    CommentQuote
  • Pune paying price for Hinjewadi mess :-(

Infosys hopes to start work on Mohali IT SEZ by October - Economic Times

"Not in more than 100 days (since Sukhbir met Murthy in Bangalore last year), we are here setting up the campus. Infosys will have big impact on economic scenario of state be it hotel, real estate sectors.. (with it) overall economic conditions will get boost," he said.

Punjab government has been trying very hard to bring a big IT company to the state as an anchor company in order to provide impetus to IT sector in the state. It has also set up an IT city in Mohali at an area of 1600 acres of land.

Asked about new IT campuses of Infosys coming up, Murthy said that the company would start new centres at Indore and Noida.

"We will also be starting a centre in Noida because we do have a lot of our employees coming from northern part of the country and so many of them have expressed their desire to be nearer their parents, nears their home towns. So we said we always believe as a company that keeping our employees as happy as they can. Therefore, we decided to expand.

"We will have a campus in Noida, we have one in Gurgaon, we have one in Jaipur and we will be starting a new campus in Indore. We laid the foundation stone in Nagpur. So these are parts of our future expansion," he said.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Baruch
    Pune paying price for Hinjewadi mess :-(

"Not in more than 100 days (since Sukhbir met Murthy in Bangalore last year), we are here setting up the campus. Infosys will have big impact on economic scenario of state be it hotel, real estate sectors.. (with it) overall economic conditions will get boost," he said.

Punjab government has been trying very hard to bring a big IT company to the state as an anchor company in order to provide impetus to IT sector in the state. It has also set up an IT city in Mohali at an area of 1600 acres of land.

Asked about new IT campuses of Infosys coming up, Murthy said that the company would start new centres at Indore and Noida.

"We will also be starting a centre in Noida because we do have a lot of our employees coming from northern part of the country and so many of them have expressed their desire to be nearer their parents, nears their home towns. So we said we always believe as a company that keeping our employees as happy as they can. Therefore, we decided to expand.

"We will have a campus in Noida, we have one in Gurgaon, we have one in Jaipur and we will be starting a new campus in Indore. We laid the foundation stone in Nagpur. So these are parts of our future expansion," he said.

Many of such centers are just outposts to claim tax benefits etc or running small inconsequential projects. No real work gets done until years after starting the centre. E.g. gujarat already has tata tech igate-patni cybage and indore has/had csc. Even lucknow has tcs.
    Bangalore hyd chennai pune ncr and even mumbai are still strong centers and attract more investment. I m not sure how long pune will be attractive though.
    I do have some info on this one though I wont claim authority. I ll be the first to rush to gujarat if job opportunities and salaries were good.

I am not pessimistic on this one but it will be five years before some work gets done there.
    CommentQuote

My wife was in Nagpur yesterday and she asked NRN how quickly could the centre start and how many jobs. He said at the end of 4 years 5000 people working. This is phase 1. This was a one on one chat. Overall 14000 jobs but that could take a decade.

This was the need of the hour. Glad decentralization is happening.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Sat234
    Many of such centers are just outposts to claim tax benefits etc or running small inconsequential projects. No real work gets done until years after starting the centre. E.g. gujarat already has tata tech igate-patni cybage and indore has/had csc. Even lucknow has tcs.
    Bangalore hyd chennai pune ncr and even mumbai are still strong centers and attract more investment. I m not sure how long pune will be attractive though.
    I do have some info on this one though I wont claim authority. I ll be the first to rush to gujarat if job opportunities and salaries were good.

I am not pessimistic on this one but it will be five years before some work gets done there.

All current centres in Indore lucknow etc are small ones, but the new ones coming up are big. Talent availability, cost and politics main factor. Pune still has room for expansion, but it has already become very costly
    CommentQuote
  • There have been such promises in the past. Trivandrum and gandhinagar were supposed to be the next it destinations. It all depends on political will infrastructure manpower. Sadly modi has been able to make gujarat a pharma and manufacturing powerhouse but not an IT destination. And IT is not everything I say this even though I am one. Still nagpur was being hyped since last five years. My friend even worked there for a year and came back to pune. One infy cannot make a place an IT destination.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by wiseman
    Paaap,

IIT's are not going to have problem about job offers. Its institutes like Raghavendra Institute of Technology (a fictitious Engg college with hardly any labs or good academic staff in the middle of nowhere which charges students 4 lakhs per year and gives them a worthless piece of paper after 4 years) which are having problems already. I'd like you to publish the surge in job offers by top IT companies wo these institutes! :)

The silent killer here is automation. This could take 5-10 years but its rapidly advancing in every sphere. Check out the fact that while you are highlighting 100 here and 1000 there kind of hiring, automation is decimating 20-30000 people (out of 120000 that a huge 25%) at one go.

Yes, the job scene is terrible and is going to get worse, despite the feel good postings of 20 offers here and 50 offers there.

I would definitely believe in your hiring spree reporting if you could not only report the hiring numbers but also the firing and net hiring numbers. The hiring numbers are always reported by company PR but the firing numbers are never mentioned by companies. If hiring is so strong , why are they so afraid to post that news as well?!

Not that I want it to be negative in any way, but one has to see ground realities unemotionally.

cheers

-ve events like job firings are highly posted on this forum so I dont want to repeat that. What amazes me is that if one was to read the sticky posts of this forum then they would get an impression that the RE bubble is about to burst or has already burst.

I havent experienced the 1980s or 1990s burst or whatever people like to call them and when I go and check the prices of RE in Pune today it comes out that the bubble is not bursting but is actually growing even bigger. RBI rate hikes or NPAs or political instability are not causing prices to fall. People talk about inventory and low rents but that is not making any dent in prices. Folks who have 2 investment houses are happy to let those houses sit empty or rent them out for 10-13K per month.

There must be some explanation to this. I read the sticky thread - RE theory proven wrong.. - and went back and checked a lot of posts of see what was being discussed in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and it seems that some of the board members had pointed out that RE is a very different market and it enjoys total govt support. Even then you had this unusual mixing of personal bias about which way RE prices should go with the simple plain analytical thinking needed to understand the dynamics of this crazy industry.

Now new hiring from IT companies may not help burst the bubble but it certainly tells us a story other than the one being displayed on the threads.

About IT automation. I have spent 6 yrs in IT and all I have seen is pressure from client to reduce costs. And the easiest way to reduce cost is to offshore. Banking industry will certainly see a lot of job losses and physical bank branches are closed but that means even more dependency on IT systems.

Retail is another very big sector that still has to fully adopt IT. The kinds of jobs that the industry will need is surely changing but I think the change is happening in favour of IT educated folks and away from face 2 face type roles - tellers, check out sales people, stacking jobs in retail stores, brokers, etc etc.

The automation trend will surely play out but again in a country like India how long will it take for us to adopt it? We are still building metro, airports and happy with 1/2 Mpbs speed whereas the developed world has 80 Mpbs and electric cars and high speed rail.
    CommentQuote

There is no doubt that Pune's infrastructure is a mess but in this case I think the reason may be driven primarily to curb attrition. given its sad hr policies, infy has faced a mass exodus of talent.

this will at least ensure that people from the north wont leave infy just to be near home.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ThodiSiZamin
    There is no doubt that Pune's infrastructure is a mess but in this case I think the reason may be driven primarily to curb attrition. given its sad hr policies, infy has faced a mass exodus of talent.

this will at least ensure that people from the north wont leave infy just to be near home.

If it is to curb attrition then it is a fall from grace.
    CommentQuote

Agreed that Pune infra could be better, however not sure if the Mohali move has anything to do with this. I find it funny , imagine RK Lax cartoon with Murthy saying frustratingly "I had enough of this Pune traffic, off I go to Mohali" (with turban headgear) :D.

This is just another bearish trend - somehow connect a news to show Pune in poor light and subtly support the bubble burst theory. We have seen how many people have been misled since 2008 with this kind of posts (talking only about those who had capability to buy but held on to buying decisions based on such news). In a way this may have somehow helped to sustain the Pune prices since some people kept waiting only to enter the market later at a higher price .
    CommentQuote
  • one more angle to open these centers in State Capitals is to develop good rapport with local governments and hope to win TCS style domestic IT porjects...kind of for which you can hire BSCs/BCAs

Have heard many stories where big MNCs Client deny going to places like Bhuvanshwar/ Chandigarh etc
    CommentQuote
    If it is to curb attrition then it is a fall from grace.

i am afraid that has already happened. with all the gyan about being a professional run company and that our kids will never join this company, we have seen nrn come back to the company as an exception and have his kid join infy as well.

in a professional environment, if somebody leaves the company then managers thank them for the efforts and wish them best of luck.

if anybody leaves infy, then they are freakin non-performers. the hypocrisy is just too much!!
    Only performers will stay here, says Infosys boss | Business Standard

all the townships in hinjewadi are going to face a tough time if more and more companies go the infy route to north. its good in a way that this will lead to de-congestion but there will be less number of jobs as well!
    CommentQuote
    i am afraid that has already happened. with all the gyan about being a professional run company and that our kids will never join this company, we have seen nrn come back to the company as an exception and have his kid join infy as well.

in a professional environment, if somebody leaves the company then managers thank them for the efforts and wish them best of luck.

if anybody leaves infy, then they are freakin non-performers. the hypocrisy is just too much!!

all the townships in hinjewadi are going to face a tough time if more and more companies go the infy route to north. its good in a way that this will lead to de-congestion but there will be less number of jobs as well!

India has always had Dynastic Rule. For a while seeing Infy, we thought that was coming to an end.

But at the end a twist to the tale as Dynastic Rule once again returned triumphant! :)

cheers

PS - Btw, corollaries to Dynastic Rule are ...

- subsequent ruling generations descend in quality heading to zero capability
    - rulers are not subject to rules of the kingdom - as they make the rules to suit themselves (therefore, you will find at least one non-performer sticking on; perhaps 2! :D)
    CommentQuote

Ohh well.. and we all know how it is decided who is a performer and who is not.

I recall, in one of the MNC product dev companies I worked earlier, a guy went from top performer to bottom performer in a year. Why? - A colleague in the group mentioned at the chai tapri, with him, his manager, and super manager around, that the guy owns a row house near Katraj.

I dont deny that there are low performers, but it is sad that such things also happen. Such incidents are a more dangerous blow to the company morale than lay offs due to shutting down or selling away product lines.

coming back to topic - Infosys seems to have started building centers at Chandigarh/Mohali, Indore, Nagpur in recent months. And promised 5000 strength in these centers. Of course, these might be five years away to come to fruition. Will they reduce strength in Pune/Bangalore? Or grow enough to add numbers to all their centers?

Either they really are desperate to curb attrition or they want to cut costs by downsizing all costlier centers like Pune/Bangalore.
    CommentQuote
    Ohh well.. and we all know how it is decided who is a performer and who is not.

I recall, in one of the MNC product dev companies I worked earlier, a guy went from top performer to bottom performer in a year. Why? - A colleague in the group mentioned at the chai tapri, with him, his manager, and super manager around, that the guy owns a row house near Katraj.

I dont deny that there are low performers, but it is sad that such things also happen. Such incidents are a more dangerous blow to the company morale than lay offs due to shutting down or selling away product lines.

coming back to topic - Infosys seems to have started building centers at Chandigarh/Mohali, Indore, Nagpur in recent months. And promised 5000 strength in these centers. Of course, these might be five years away to come to fruition. Will they reduce strength in Pune/Bangalore? Or grow enough to add numbers to all their centers?

Either they really are desperate to curb attrition or they want to cut costs by downsizing all costlier centers like Pune/Bangalore.

It's true that we need some discussion topic and everybody loves thrashing an Icon.
    Similar cost cutting/shifting bases/relocation/cutting attrition things were said earlier as well, when Infy had started building base in Pune about 5-6 years ago. Nobody ever- just for once- then & Now, mentioned the prospects of growing business, need for hiring more talent, spreading bases.

If they need 20,000 more people in next 5 years, they can not bring all those guys (cheap labor) to blore or pune or any exisitng centre without crowding out these places. Hence they are reaching out to people. Is it cheap? Yes. Makes sense? Yes. Should have been done earlier? Aboslutely yes.

But big businesses, like most human beings, are greedy. And nobody wants to spend money unless its absolutely necessary..when the cost of adding more people is hitting roof..they want to set up new low cost bases. But this doesnt mean they are going to abandon their old/existing bases (unless we get into a different discussion of future of indian IT/body shopping)..just my perception...may be biased! ;)
    CommentQuote