Prices doubled from 2009...enough said....
Read more
538 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by NeedHomeNow
    It's true that we need some discussion topic and everybody loves thrashing an Icon.
    Similar cost cutting/shifting bases/relocation/cutting attrition things were said earlier as well, when Infy had started building base in Pune about 5-6 years ago. Nobody ever- just for once- then & Now, mentioned the prospects of growing business, need for hiring more talent, spreading bases.

If they need 20,000 more people in next 5 years, they can not bring all those guys (cheap labor) to blore or pune or any exisitng centre without crowding out these places. Hence they are reaching out to people. Is it cheap? Yes. Makes sense? Yes. Should have been done earlier? Aboslutely yes.

But big businesses, like most human beings, are greedy. And nobody wants to spend money unless its absolutely necessary..when the cost of adding more people is hitting roof..they want to set up new low cost bases. But this doesnt mean they are going to abandon their old/existing bases (unless we get into a different discussion of future of indian IT/body shopping)..just my perception...may be biased! ;)

>>> If they need 20,000 more people in next 5 years, they can not bring all those guys (cheap labor) to blore or pune or any exisitng centre without crowding out these places. Hence they are reaching out to people. Is it cheap? Yes. Makes sense? Yes. Should have been done earlier? Aboslutely yes.

Agree !!

My point was - given their state, will they need 20000 people. Even in next 5 years !

And overall point - are these new cities going to become the next IT destinations? Bhubaneshwar was hyped the next IT destination. Bhubaneshwar has Mahindra Satyam and Infy, but still it isn't on the radar. I had given up an offer with Satyam as fresher because they were posting to Bhubaneshwar and instead opted for another offer in Mumbai. In hindsight, a good decision (wrt Bhubaneshwar as well as Satyam).

Kolkata has IBM and Cognizant. Is it an IT destination? It can be, but it is not yet.
    CommentQuote
  • My take is that till the news can be twisted to support things like bubble burst etc, we should make full use of the oppurtunity.
    Like "Why chicken crossed the road", we can interpret a situation as we want.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Sat234
    >>> If they need 20,000 more people in next 5 years, they can not bring all those guys (cheap labor) to blore or pune or any exisitng centre without crowding out these places. Hence they are reaching out to people. Is it cheap? Yes. Makes sense? Yes. Should have been done earlier? Aboslutely yes.

Agree !!

My point was - given their state, will they need 20000 people. Even in next 5 yaers! .

Easily

Easily!!
    CommentQuote

My point was - given their state, will they need 20000 people. Even in next 5 years !

And overall point - are these new cities going to become the next IT destinations? Bhubaneshwar was hyped the next IT destination. Bhubaneshwar has Mahindra Satyam and Infy, but still it isn't on the radar. I had given up an offer with Satyam as fresher because they were posting to Bhubaneshwar and instead opted for another offer in Mumbai. In hindsight, a good decision (wrt Bhubaneshwar as well as Satyam).

Kolkata has IBM and Cognizant. Is it an IT destination? It can be, but it is not yet.

Yes, you can be surprised by how fast infy can grow - if it really wants to. they have got a huge pool of talent and knowledge...its just bogged down by its own weight of internal policies and politics. The working environment is degrading day by day and employee morale is half dead. Well, keeping these organizational stuff apart, yes the business is growing and if they choose/decide to become agressive in the market place (which they have not been doing lately), they can easily win back some market share and grow further.

About your statment on other tier 2 cities, yes it definitely takes some time. Chennai/Pune had advantages of being semi developed & well connected cities. The basic infra was being set up and the government atleast had helpful policies to bring in business. They were in a sweet spot due to their location as well - close to big metors.
    Bhubneshwar was lagging in almost all those aspects. All the politicians just focused on devouring it of its natural resources all this time without spending any money on its development. But i hear that it is picking up slowly and infy is moving few projects there. Stuff cant change overnight and if given a choice, everyone would choose a developed places to stay over a developing one!

For any big company to move its resources to a new place, a big guy - business head or a big shot director should be willing first. Only then the team is set up and the organization starts growning. This is the easiest way of rolling out geographical expansion. Hope this happens fast for Indore - the next IT destination! ;)
    CommentQuote
  • Synechron strengthens presence in Pune
    Sets up its largest centre in India with an investment of $20 mn

Synechron strengthens presence in Pune | Business Standard

New York-based IT firm Synechron plans to hire about 400 people this year at its development centre in Pune.

Of Syncheron's global headcount of over 5,000 people, close to 4,000 work at its centre in Pune.

Synechron to hire 400 people this year in India - The Economic Times
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by NeedHomeNow
    Yes, you can be surprised by how fast infy can grow - if it really wants to. they have got a huge pool of talent and knowledge...its just bogged down by its own weight of internal policies and politics. The working environment is degrading day by day and employee morale is half dead. Well, keeping these organizational stuff apart, yes the business is growing and if they choose/decide to become agressive in the market place (which they have not been doing lately), they can easily win back some market share and grow further.

About your statment on other tier 2 cities, yes it definitely takes some time. Chennai/Pune had advantages of being semi developed & well connected cities. The basic infra was being set up and the government atleast had helpful policies to bring in business. They were in a sweet spot due to their location as well - close to big metors.
    Bhubneshwar was lagging in almost all those aspects. All the politicians just focused on devouring it of its natural resources all this time without spending any money on its development. But i hear that it is picking up slowly and infy is moving few projects there. Stuff cant change overnight and if given a choice, everyone would choose a developed places to stay over a developing one!

For any big company to move its resources to a new place, a big guy - business head or a big shot director should be willing first. Only then the team is set up and the organization starts growning. This is the easiest way of rolling out geographical expansion. Hope this happens fast for Indore - the next IT destination! ;)

Earlier only a few cities were in the fray for attracting investments.

Now almost every state capital wants a piece of the pie. Investments will be split. So I believe that the growth of Mohali, Nagpur, Indore, Jaipur, Trivandrum, Bhubaneshwar etc will be much much slower than what is projected. Even if Infy grows the fastest in the next 5 years.

Note that existing investment destinations like Mumbai, Noida/Gurgaon, Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Ahemdabad continue to attract investment. It is not that development here has stopped and other cities are taking away their pie fully.

It would be good if other destinations also get developed. But given a choice, where would you work? Pune/Bangalore or Bhubaneshwar ?

I must add though that ahemdabad indore chandigarh look to have better "chances" of growth than others. Also must add that rates rise here will be slow in case looking to invest. Ahemdabad and chandigarh definitely have better infra in place.
    How about nagpur? Looks good as per friends talk and pics but never been there. Not sure about its growth though.
    CommentQuote
    Earlier only a few cities were in the fray for attracting investments.

Now almost every state capital wants a piece of the pie. Investments will be split. So I believe that the growth of Mohali, Nagpur, Indore, Jaipur, Trivandrum, Bhubaneshwar etc will be much much slower than what is projected. Even if Infy grows the fastest in the next 5 years.

Note that existing investment destinations like Mumbai, Noida/Gurgaon, Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Ahemdabad continue to attract investment. It is not that development here has stopped and other cities are taking away their pie fully.

It would be good if other destinations also get developed. But given a choice, where would you work? Pune/Bangalore or Bhubaneshwar ?

I must add though that ahemdabad indore chandigarh look to have better "chances" of growth than others. Also must add that rates rise here will be slow in case looking to invest. Ahemdabad and chandigarh definitely have better infra in place.
    How about nagpur? Looks good as per friends talk and pics but never been there. Not sure about its growth though.

Nagpur is a laid back but a beautiful city. Lots of greenary, superb connectivity, good roads, educational institutions, rich in natural resources and a regional business hub.

Nagpur has been ignored for far too long - western maharashtra / sharad pawar responsible for it. Nagpur is RSS HQ which the MH govt doesn't like.

Nagpur doesn't get the amount of investment it deserve. The most aspirational project of the region - MIHAN has been completely ignored in last 10 years. The multimodal international cargo hub that was projected to be Asia's largest may never become reality but the SEZ is slowly progressing, with some big companies like Booeing, Lupin, TAL etc being operational already and TCS to start operations soon.

Residential projects in MIHAN have witnessed slow growth in last few years. Mahindra's project there rose from 2800 psf to 3200 in last 2 years.

I am betting Nagpur to grow much faster in non Cong non NCP rule
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by RP Pune
    Nagpur is a laid back but a beautiful city. Lots of greenary, superb connectivity, good roads, educational institutions, rich in natural resources and a regional business hub.

Nagpur has been ignored for far too long - western maharashtra / sharad pawar responsible for it. Nagpur is RSS HQ which the MH govt doesn't like.

Nagpur doesn't get the amount of investment it deserve. The most aspirational project of the region - MIHAN has been completely ignored in last 10 years. The multimodal international cargo hub that was projected to be Asia's largest may never become reality but the SEZ is slowly progressing, with some big companies like Booeing, Lupin, TAL etc being operational already and TCS to start operations soon.

Residential projects in MIHAN have witnessed slow growth in last few years. Mahindra's project there rose from 2800 psf to 3200 in last 2 years.

I am betting Nagpur to grow much faster in non Cong non NCP rule

Found this. Provide good overview

http://youtu.be/quB47bIqQEI
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    Lol:D. What is enough said?? Can you show me the price comparisons ??

Nanded City should have been 5000-5500/sq ft now (2500-2700 in 2009),
    Samrajya should have been 8000-8400/sq ft (4000-4200 in 2009).......

And there are many other egs. too.
    Btw, this is a forum & not twitter :D....please explain while starting new thread.

Man. You are the only person who ever got the price target right on this forum :). Pls etll me how do you do it ?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by compuwalah
    Man. You are the only person who ever got the price target right on this forum :). Pls etll me how do you do it ?

you are back at your favourite game:D .. anyway you and RA both are wrong ..pethkar samrajya is 9500 now ...up from 5800 :bab (59): when i had inquired back in 2012 jan feb ... (was expensive even then for me 3bhk was costing 1.1cr)
    CommentQuote
  • Compu,

Can you please make the following :-

Price comnparison not of 2009 with 2014 buy YoY comparo will be better.
    So 2009-10,
    2010-11......& so on.

Alongwith that, please factor in inflation, interest rates & economic situation alongwith the growth:debt ratio.

Once you do this, please post it here. I will put my comments, point wise.
    Thanks.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by Tangent
    you are back at your favourite game:D .. anyway you and RA both are wrong ..pethkar samrajya is 9500 now ...up from 5800 :bab (59): when i had inquired back in 2012 jan feb ... (was expensive even then for me 3bhk was costing 1.1cr)

Ahhhggggghhhhh :bab (45): . RA man . You missed it by mark of 17 %. When you hinted of 8K price back then I feel you were out of your mind and most bad bull on the forum. But never realized that the real market is much more BAD bull that that. I though Samrajya would stabilize around 6.5K.

Tanget. We will work on this to get RA to adjust his predictions for future. Thanks for pointing this out. I am bit out of touch with Samrajya prices. Also we would request him not resort to cryptic writing and provide hints straight forward. he would have simply said Price of Samrajya will go above 8K instead of cryptic Samrajya should have been 8000-8400/sq ft (4000-4200 in 2009) . This misleads people into thinking he is posting this in disbelief.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by wiseman
    You got it wrong. Roundabout June 2016 is going to be the bottom of the bear market. From which there will be a long climb back to normalcy in the 2022 timeframe!

cheers

Words of experts.
    CommentQuote