Recently I have begin to realize that this forum along with providing invaluable information and perspectives brings along with it a large amount of biased information

I feel most of us are biased here either for the investment we have made, the dream home we bought or the project any of us is promoting for commercial reasons.

All of us are just trying to present all our projects in the best of light and jump out with swords when any other person say anything against our project, developer, perception of the attractiveness of the area we are invested in..

At a certain level it is natural too when somebody invest anywhere he/she did that with a lot of conviction about the developer the project the particular micro market. We are bound to stick the decision we made and will not change our mind even after listening to logical reasoning.

Also when some body has invested all his life hard earned money in a particular developer/project how can we expect that person to stay cool when a lot of negative stuff is said (right or wrong thats a different debate) about the developer/project where that person all life savings is linked

Another angle to this discussion is there are people who do not like any other member for any reason, the best way to get back to your enemy is to start f*****g the project of the person you dont like, with out realizing that there are 500 more people whose money, emotions, feelings are attached to that project and by deliberately defaming a particular project we are playing with the "peace of mind" of that person....


There are some great people on this forum who have life long experience and expertise to engage into a fruitful discussion about real estate. then there are some who are a great source of timely information, so very crucial for making the right decision. More over the forum is a great place to make friends and even network professionally.

I think we all need to go through some introspection ion how we behave and what we say on the forum and how to best separate the right information on the forum from the barbs....

we need to ask ourselves - are we all biased here?
Read more
Reply
7 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Originally Posted by amit001
    Recently I have begin to realize that this forum along with providing invaluable information and perspectives brings along with it a large amount of biased information

    I feel most of us are biased here either for the investment we have made, the dream home we bought or the project any of us is promoting for commercial reasons.

    All of us are just trying to present all our projects in the best of light and jump out with swords when any other person say anything against our project, developer, perception of the attractiveness of the area we are invested in..

    At a certain level it is natural too when somebody invest anywhere he/she did that with a lot of conviction about the developer the project the particular micro market. We are bound to stick the decision we made and will not change our mind even after listening to logical reasoning.

    Also when some body has invested all his life hard earned money in a particular developer/project how can we expect that person to stay cool when a lot of negative stuff is said (right or wrong thats a different debate) about the developer/project where that person all life savings is linked

    Another angle to this discussion is there are people who do not like any other member for any reason, the best way to get back to your enemy is to start f*****g the project of the person you dont like, with out realizing that there are 500 more people whose money, emotions, feelings are attached to that project and by deliberately defaming a particular project we are playing with the "peace of mind" of that person....


    There are some great people on this forum who have life long experience and expertise to engage into a fruitful discussion about real estate. then there are some who are a great source of timely information, so very crucial for making the right decision. More over the forum is a great place to make friends and even network professionally.

    I think we all need to go through some introspection ion how we behave and what we say on the forum and how to best separate the right information on the forum from the barbs....

    we need to ask ourselves - are we all biased here?


    very well said but i belive those who use absurd langu to builder/project are those who have already have some home and r sitting on profit (if they sell their homes)....but i feel some members are too genuine and provide good informa there r many such vetern meme eg.realacres
    CommentQuote
  • No offense, but ...

    Amit,

    Do you know of anyone in this world who is not biased for one reason or the other?

    If all one needed was an unbiased report, the report will contain nothing but data and no conclusions to provide any value of any kind wrt what to do in view of all that data.

    An unbiased report is generally conpletely useless unless each one of us has all the knowledge and skills necessary to figure out what to do with it.

    Of course, point taken about trashing others who do not subscribe to our - biased - views!:)

    And don't worry too much about the bias. If someone trashes a project which is good, there is always someone else to come to its support with opposite views. If there is nothing good to be said about a project or builder, then you also have what you need from all the negative reports. Checks and balances work this way!

    cheers
    CommentQuote
  • 1. Are we all biased. Yes. Not only here but generally that's how the world operates.

    2. Is that a problem. Not at all. As long as we keep in mind everyone is biased then you look at every opinion as only that and not a sacred text.

    3. Can bashing or promoting on an anonymous forum work. Yes in individual cases due to herd mentality and naive approach. But not on a bigger scale. Else the Pune RE would have collapsed long back looking at the size and views of 'RE bulls 'proved' wrong' thread. Markets dont work at the whims of few who have put blinkers on.

    4. You have said that there are some here who have life long experience and expertise - Again this is a bias or view formed on posts made on this forum. Do we really know if they follow what they preach. No. So take it with pinch of salt. Again many times we feel something as fruitful discussion when it comforts our ego or our bias.

    5. Last but perhaps not least.....don't give undue importance to online forums and the altar egos. This is more of a chit chat hangout place than a deep philosophical forum. There would be some who would often engage in personal attacks, rhetorics and be less tolerant to alternate views. And there would be some who would pretend to be experts. And there would be some like me who know nothing but write a five point reply.:)
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by stoxxx
    1. Are we all biased. Yes. Not only here but generally that's how the world operates.

    2. Is that a problem. Not at all. As long as we keep in mind everyone is biased then you look at every opinion as only that and not a sacred text.

    3. Can bashing or promoting on an anonymous forum work. Yes in individual cases due to herd mentality and naive approach. But not on a bigger scale. Else the Pune RE would have collapsed long back looking at the size and views of 'RE bulls 'proved' wrong' thread. Markets dont work at the whims of few who have put blinkers on.

    4. You have said that there are some here who have life long experience and expertise - Again this is a bias or view formed on posts made on this forum. Do we really know if they follow what they preach. No. So take it with pinch of salt. Again many times we feel something as fruitful discussion when it comforts our ego or our bias.

    5. Last but perhaps not least.....don't give undue importance to online forums and the altar egos. This is more of a chit chat hangout place than a deepphilosophical forum. There would be some who would often engage in personal attacks, rhetorics and be less tolerant to alternate views. And there would be some who would pretend to be experts. And there would be some like me who know nothing but write a five point reply.:)


    Kudos to an awesome reply. I personally have an attachment to this forum after being branded a broker initially for having different views to being accepted as a genuine member. I think the fact that everyone is smart enough to look beyond the bias is also visible. People are smart enough to read a ton of information and then process the details themselves based on their biases. Everyone loves to be an expert and at heart everyone knows that in issues like real estate and global economics even the best are not experts. But it's an interesting place to be.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by akssenti
    Kudos to an awesome reply. I personally have an attachment to this forum after being branded a broker initially for having different views to being accepted as a genuine member. I think the fact that everyone is smart enough to look beyond the bias is also visible. People are smart enough to read a ton of information and then process the details themselves based on their biases. Everyone loves to be an expert and at heart everyone knows that in issues like real estate and global economics even the best are not experts. But it's an interesting place to be.




    MARATHI MEIN BOLE TO ऐकायचा साग्ड्यांचा करायचा मनाचा
    CommentQuote
  • It is human nature to get biased to something u may nurture or something which is dear to u ( in this case one's money, one has invested in a particular project . LOL :D)

    Most, if not all of us, do get biased, but if one realizes that his bias may be influencing some people & checks/corrects it, he redeems himself ( at least in his own eyes ) of the guilt ( guilt may not be the right word here, but using it, since cannot think of an suitable alternative ).

    Above is true for most investors, end users . Brokers & screwed up/sick characters r out of purview .
    CommentQuote
  • Being biased, in itself is not a bad thing. e.g. If I like Windows Phhone and think it is best, I may be biased in its favor - which is fine, until I get carried away and try to pull down iPhhone or Android Phhoness based on fictions or non-facts.

    Feature to feature comparison and contrast is what is required - be it RE or anything else. If you are biased positively or negatively in something and can back it up with facts, it will help others. Just don't get carried away and try to defend your position till death, even if facts to the contrary are presented. Plane Jane unbiased opinion may not help anybody. There are people who take it personally if their point of view is refuted - that is when things turn ugly.
    CommentQuote