Can full time shares trading be an option for living

Last updated: October 14 2011
36 | Posts
7725 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can full time shares trading be an option for living

looking at stock advice thread I had this question. I know it is not exactly real estate but then again we've so much expertise here why dont we put it to use.

What's your view of stock trading as full time job? Is it possible?
    What characteristics are required?
    What training would be useful?
    What is the minimum capital required to earn a sustainable income?
    When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? - John Maynard Keynes

Re : Can full time shares trading be an option for living

Originally posted by stoxxx View Post
    looking at stock advice thread I had this question. I know it is not exactly real estate but then again we've so much expertise here why dont we put it to use.

What's your view of stock trading as full time job? Is it possible?
    What characteristics are required?
    What training would be useful?
    What is the minimum capital required to earn a sustainable income?
    In the current market situation (from over last six months), it is increasingly difficult to make your living only on day trading or stock market as a full time business..
    Characteristics - one need that temprament to get out or get in...rather time the market...super sense of the situation, insider info, news etc.
    Training - one should be thorough in technical analysis..
    Minimum Capital - To make good living, (my guess) one need at least 25 to 30 L in rolling and tremendous risk taking appetite... Earning a suitable income is very individualistic thing and it all depends on his need and greed...but if a stock learned person rolls 30L in his portfolio, he could make his living as an aam admi (average person)...

I guess, PCP, Wiseman, Venky can add first hand info out of their (part time) stock experience...
    cheers
    monds

Comment

Originally posted by monds View Post
      In the current market situation (from over last six months), it is increasingly difficult to make your living only on day trading or stock market as a full time business..
      Characteristics - one need that temprament to get out or get in...rather time the market...super sense of the situation, insider info, news etc.
      Training - one should be thorough in technical analysis..
      Minimum Capital - To make good living, (my guess) one need at least 25 to 30 L in rolling and tremendous risk taking appetite... Earning a suitable income is very individualistic thing and it all depends on his need and greed...but if a stock learned person rolls 30L in his portfolio, he could make his living as an aam admi (average person)...

I guess, PCP, Wiseman, Venky can add first hand info out of their (part time) stock experience...
      cheers
      monds
      Thanks...how much can we realistically earn on INR 25 lakhs...will it be somewhere 40-50 K per month.
      When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Thanks...how much can we realistically earn on INR 25 lakhs...will it be somewhere 40-50 K per month.
        I never did it, but my guess - if the person is experienced. learned and expert in Indian stock market, he could make about 30K +/- over a month's rolling...

What all I am quoting is my imagination and out of little grasp in mid/long term stock investments, the reality may be different...so just don't go by it and take any position

Comment

Yes, u can do so - trade and make a living out of it. However, the person needs to be extremely meticulous and discplined and invest his full time into the markets.

I found some traders - who are doing this - trade in extremely unvolatile but F&O stocks...like colgate, power grid, HUL, ITC with very low beta...
          If the price rises by 1-3%, play it on margin - hence earn a decent 5-10% on their investment for the day.

The main thing - they first practice a particular stock for a month or so...and then take the actual bets...

Comment

Originally posted by pcpune View Post
            Yes, u can do so - trade and make a living out of it. However, the person needs to be extremely meticulous and discplined and invest his full time into the markets.

I found some traders - who are doing this - trade in extremely unvolatile but F&O stocks...like colgate, power grid, HUL, ITC with very low beta...
            If the price rises by 1-3%, play it on margin - hence earn a decent 5-10% on their investment for the day.

The main thing - they first practice a particular stock for a month or so...and then take the actual bets...
            Thanks. How much can a person make out of it? How much capital is required?

Comment

This is interesting. Well has anybody thought of trading in Commodities. Very Good Option these days and safer than stock market if traded smartly.
              Return will be minimum 2-5% per month but this should done in consultation of a good Broker/Sub-broker. I had been earning 5% almost every month except few bad months in last 2 yrs. Overall I have earned 10 times or my investment however it does not happen with everybody but you never know.
              The only point is trade with a person who can personally take care of you as a clients.
              I basically trade in Gold & Silver and in a worst scenario they can not go to zero unlike a stock. There are many other better reasons to invest in this market like it facilitates service on margin as it is only an F&O market.

I have found this below group on Facebook, I get tips for Free if not from my service provider.
              Follow this group for better consulting:

Comment

I hope you have gone through the book "Trading for leaving" search google for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by tech1978 View Post
                  I hope you have gone through the book "Trading for leaving" search google for more information.
                  by "Elder Alexander" ?

Comment

Thanks. How much can a person make out of it? How much capital is required?
                    Try with whatever you have 10K, 100K, 500K. However, use the "margin" available to increase the number of shares you are buying, understand the concept of strict stop loss, and then first try virtual trading on some site for a month.

Comment

Have any questions or thoughts about this?
                    Working...
                    X