Hi Friends,

As a new society, we are facing with internal dispute on how to charge maintenance to our members. Society is in Maharashtra and comes under jurisdiction of Registrar of Maharashtra CHS. We have 8 Building of 2bhk, and two with 3 bhk..and each building has four types of flat varying in salable area ..carpet area. We have a club house, a gen set, private security agency and housekeeping agency. Each building has a separate bore-well and motor connected to it, with a reservoir.. so total 20 pumps. Members staying at 3BHK flat demand that as per by laws Society can not charge on psf basis, and it should be equal to all.. whereas 2bhk members want it on psf basis arguing area occupied by resident. We also tried a partial method with very few component on psf basis and others a fixed head ( admin, club house, lawyer fee etc)..but we are not agreeing. Society appointed lawyer advises that we arrive at some conclusion. We MC members are at fix and do not want to disobey any law. Any advise is highly valuable and help us resolve this soon.

Also please advise which method you follow. There is no dispute on SINKING FUND though...
Thanks to all for advise !
Read more
22 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Well What should be done and what are the rules if I don't go into this this is what I think has been the trend.
    Till few years back the trend was to charge a fix amount on flat basis. So a 1 , 2 or 3 BHK all paid the same amount.

Now days I see the maintenance is charged on PSFT basis.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by kingmanish
    Well What should be done and what are the rules if I don't go into this this is what I think has been the trend.
    Till few years back the trend was to charge a fix amount on flat basis. So a 1 , 2 or 3 BHK all paid the same amount.

Now days I see the maintenance is charged on PSFT basis.

In reality, maintenance is paid per unit irrespective of size. But then the logic is more the size, more is members, so more should be maintenance. Hence, it came on psft basis.

prasen_b,

What you said is very correct. And post society formation, issue is about maintenance amount. Those who bought flats at higher rates are ready to pay more for good service while older buyers generally don't feel that way. This is true where the time difference between first phase & last phase is 3 years or more, which leads to clashes. In my personal opinion, it is better to opt for projects where all buildings have come up together or with period gap of not more than 1 year. Also, more the number of flats, more is the headache.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    In reality, maintenance is paid per unit irrespective of size. But then the logic is more the size, more is members, so more should be maintenance. Hence, it came on psft basis.

prasen_b,

What you said is very correct. And post society formation, issue is about maintenance amount. Those who bought flats at higher rates are ready to pay more for good service while older buyers generally don't feel that way. This is true where the time difference between first phase & last phase is 3 years or more, which leads to clashes. In my personal opinion, it is better to opt for projects where all buildings have come up together or with period gap of not more than 1 year. Also, more the number of flats, more is the headache.

what are the estimated charges for a "modest" construction in pune for the following:

These are the items i am talking about:
    society formation charges
    electricity charges
    infra and development charges
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by ThodiSiZamin
    what are the estimated charges for a "modest" construction in pune for the following:

These are the items i am talking about:
    society formation charges
    electricity charges
    infra and development charges

The builder can charge anything from 25k to 75k for first 2 points, while infra & development charges is charged by chindhi builders only, who take anywhere between 1L to 3L. Sometimes, parking also falls under this. Need to check what these infra & dev charges consists of.
    If you opt for resale, you get complete package & such bifurcations are not done.
    And yes, these fancy charges are the first which builder is ready to waive off at the time of negotiations. In current market, the discounts are much higher.
    CommentQuote
    The builder can charge anything from 25k to 75k for first 2 points, while infra & development charges is charged by chindhi builders only, who take anywhere between 1L to 3L. Sometimes, parking also falls under this. Need to check what these infra & dev charges consists of.
    If you opt for resale, you get complete package & such bifurcations are not done.
    And yes, these fancy charges are the first which builder is ready to waive off at the time of negotiations. In current market, the discounts are much higher.

thanks for the information!

thats what even I was wondering. Firstly, we are buying flats on built-up and super-builtup area and on top of that, we are also supposed to pay up infra and dev charges. looks like double-dipping!
    CommentQuote

But be sure that you negotiate with the seller who is going to pay for the society NOC.
    Many society charge some amount for giving NOC. I am not sure if it is illegal or not??

In most of the cases it can be shared 50-50 .
    CommentQuote
  • Society is charging for amenitie to tenant (1000 INR per month per person) for which the owner has already paid / paying the maintenance charges. Is this allowed? If not, what options are available to stop this?

CommentQuote
    3 Comments
    • Sj20132 months ago
      Society can only charge non occupancy charges which are 10% generally. Any other charges are illegal