Pune : Should I find a tenant replacement when I leave

Last updated: October 18 2018
3 | Posts
541 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pune : Should I find a tenant replacement when I leave

I am tenant living in Flat in Pune. We are 4 working girls sharing a 2 BHK flat. All of us have individual and separate rent agreements registered on our names for 8 months. We found the flat through a broker. He pitches in every time someone leaves/moves in. I moved into the flat before 2 months and I have to leave the city and vacate the flat. I have given 1 month notice to the owner that I am leaving.

The owner and broker now says that i will get the deposit amount only after they find a replacement for me and the deposit amount that she pays would be given to me. I do not see any such clause in the rent agreement. Is there any such law? Or should i find a replacement. Please let me know. Also if there is such a document using which i can fight with the owner to say that what he is doing with me is wrong and I can file a complaint on him.

Thanks!
    Last edited October 15 2018, 11:21 AM.

Re : Pune : Should I find a tenant replacement when I leave

Hi, is there any "locking period" mentioned in the agreemnet? Like- you have to stay for minimun 6months/3months?

Last edited October 15 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ptadikonda1991 View Post
      I am tenant living in Flat in pune. We are 4 working girls sharing a 2bhk flat. All of us have individusl and seperate rent agreements registered on our names for 8months. We found the flat through a broker. He pitches in everytime someone leaves/moves in. I moved into the flat before 2months and I have to leave the city and vacate the flat. I have given 1month notice to the owner that I am leaving.

The owner and broker now says that i will get the deposit amount only after they find a replacement for me and the deposit amount that she pays would be given to me. I do not see any such clause in the rent agreement. Is there any such law? Or should i find a replacement. Please let me know. Also if there is such a document using which i can fight with the owner to say that what he is doing with me is wrong and I can file a complaint on him.

T

Thanks!

SSS
      This is an issue with many shared rental properties. Something similar happened with my Daughter when she was working in Microsoft in Hyderabad and had taken a flat with some other girls on sharing basis.

The owner and the Broker expect u to provide an replacement tenant, so that they can refund your money & they don't have to get into an hassle of looking for a new tenant. There is nothing in writing with a clause similar to their demands and it is more of an routine obligation which the Landlord feels that the vacating tenant needs to meet.

If u know of somebody who is looking for a place and may be compatible with the rest of the girls staying there, try getting her adjusted & it would be easier for u to get your refund. In case there is nobody, the landlord may delay or retain a part of your refund with himself, though doing so would be against the agreement & illegal.
      Please read IREF rules | FAQ's

Comment

As you rightly said this is a problem with giving flat on sharing basis.

I had initially decided to give my own flat on rent only to bachelors as I faced problems finding flats to rent when I was a bachelor. 4 months down the line, one of the shared tenants moved out and the boys asked me to reduce the rent by 1/4th as there were only 3 shared tenants left.

I tried reasoning with them that it was their responsibility to find the fourth tenant but things didn't work out.

I then reluctantly decided to rent my flat only to families now. If I give my flat on rent and it is be shared, I expect the contract to continue for a year. The tenants should either leave together and stay together. If one of them is leaving, they should find their replacements.

Comment

Tags: None
        Have any questions or thoughts about this?
        Working...
        X