Feasibility of a wooden home in Pune

Last updated: February 24 2020
2 | Posts
185 | Views
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feasibility of a wooden home in Pune

How practical would it be to own a wooden home in Pune’s climate. I am a bit fed up communal living and am thinking of buying a residential plot or land somewhere in a quiet place around nature and setting up a wooden house to live in. I understand these come cheaper than an RCC apartment. Well atleast cheaper to buy. And I am hoping this will be more practical in terms of livings expenses and maintenance too. Can someone share input and ideas. First time home buyer here dreaming of solitary living.Please sugges which parts of Pune would be ideal for this. I don’t want my views to be blocked out by concrete towers and all the same time want to have pretty reasonable infrastructure around me like fairly good connectivity, access to a hospital if there is the need - or atleast proximity to one . Water and electricity problems should not haunt me. And a vegetable market nearby and grocery store.

Re : Feasibility of a wooden home in Pune

Originally posted by che275 View Post
    How practical would it be to own a wooden home in Pune’s climate. I am a bit fed up communal living and am thinking of buying a residential plot or land somewhere in a quiet place around nature and setting up a wooden house to live in. I understand these come cheaper than an RCC apartment. Well atleast cheaper to buy. And I am hoping this will be more practical in terms of livings expenses and maintenance too. Can someone share input and ideas. First time home buyer here dreaming of solitary living.Please sugges which parts of Pune would be ideal for this. I don’t want my views to be blocked out by concrete towers and all the same time want to have pretty reasonable infrastructure around me like fairly good connectivity, access to a hospital if there is the need - or at least proximity to one . Water and electricity problems should not haunt me. And a vegetable market nearby and grocery store.
    I believe below article shows good side of it.
    https://www.businesstoday.in/moneyto...tory/7465.html

Please note, this is from 2008 and you will need to adjust prices accordingly. Just google wooden house in India. You will get few manufacturers for the same. Do give them a call and get some quotes, which would be more correct figures.

Coming to the rest of requirements, I could not think of any area in Pune which will give you view as well as connectivity together. Also, you might want to add security to the requirements here!

The thing is - Plots for sale with view = outskirts of Pune. (can not ensure view would be there after 10 years)
    Outskirts of Pune = rural area, probably not inside PMC/PCMC.
    Rural area = not good roads, you wont find good hospitals nearby. Electricity is issue. But you would find good quality farm fresh vegetables. Grocery would still be manageable by once a week run to a good store. Water depends on specific locality, bore-well is general option. But rural area adds security concern.

Overall it could be a good weekend home, but not sustainable for daily living until unless you are tweaking your requirements little or spending little more like diesel generator for electricity, strong security system, good insurance giving ambulatory service etc.

Hope this helps.

On side note: Communal living is not that bad. You might need to change community/society and find more sensible people (if that's the issue). It might do the trick.

Comment

Re : Feasibility of a wooden home in Pune

First and bigger challenge is to buy a plot which meets all your requirements.

With my limted experience, buying/owning such a plot in Pune city limits is not feasible unless you have really deep pockes.

I have lived in other states, where there is this concept of Lay outs. Government or Urban Development Authority used to create a lay out of plots with proper roads, drainage, electricity, bus stops etc and sell/auction those plots. People could build homes to their liking instead of living in concrete boxes. These were so called 60x40 feet plots or sites in local lingo.

I have not seen anything like that in Pune or Maharashtra as such. Buying a plot is a major task with many points of failures. Offcourse, nothing stops you from exploring.

Olden days, villages mostly had wooden houses. Now a days, sourcing quality wood for construction of homes itself may be an issue unless you are connected to people who run saw mills.

Best wishes.

Comment

Tags: None
      Have any questions or thoughts about this?
      Working...
      X