Living in Pune: Best Suburb?

Hi,

I am thinking of shifting to Pune from Delhi. Looking for a modern two bedroom nice apartment in a trendy locality.

My research says that Pune is quite a safe city for women and I would be working in a NGO.

Since I have no clue as to the suburbs, any help would be much appreciated. And I guess Pune should be better than Delhi on all fronts?

Wot Say?
Read more
26 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • OK. So which is the best suburb to stay in pune?

VK
    CommentQuote
  • Kothrud, especially Dahanukar Colony

Disclaimer: I live there :P
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by abeerbagul
    Kothrud, especially Dahanukar Colony

Disclaimer: I live there :P

truely said. kothrud is a cool place to live with best climatic consitions, good infrastructure, better connectivity to Mumbai - banglore highway & expressway, many malls, entertainment halls, market places, hospitals, schools etc.
    the only thing one must know tht it is majorly accomodated by maharashtrian community. cosmopolitan community are either stayin gon rental basis or they are investors.
    this is as per my knowledge.

sam...
    CommentQuote
  • In west Pune you could try Baner & Wakad. Baner has got some really good schools & there is lot of upcoming developments in this area.
    CommentQuote
  • what are some of the reputed schools in wakad/baner? most are international isnt it?
    CommentQuote
  • How about living near Talegaon, Ambegaon? It is not very far from Hinjewadi plus has that rural feel to it, close to lonavala... Again, it depends... I like peaceful environment and greenery around... a place that you can really feel like Home. Any suggestions?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sam_sang
    what are some of the reputed schools in wakad/baner? most are international isnt it?

Unfortunately there are no good schools near/in Wakad. This is one of the main reasons we did not look around Wakad though many schemes I heard were good and were affordable for us. Wakad is a relatively new upcoming location and the only advantage at the moment is that its very close to Hinjewadi. Hopefully Bishops will start a new branch at Wakad soon. I feel like writing to the Bishops principal and suggesting in case they open a new branch, to open it around Wakad, Balewadi area, so that people near these areas can benefit. Its not fair that the good ICSE schools are all in camp

There are no good schools at Baner also. I heard that the residents at Baner mostly send their children to DAV at Aundh. One of my colleague who resides at Baner sends her kid to DAV.
    CommentQuote
  • Wakad? Talegaon??

A lot of posts in this thread sound suspiciously like they're posted by brokers. Since when did Wakad, Talegaon, Baner, and Ambegaon become Pune's best suburb?? Are these suburbs being discussed only because most new construction is happening there? Hmmm..

Koregaon Park, Boat Club Road/Camp, and some parts of Kalyani Nagar (please exclude the so-called "extensions") qualify from East Pune, and Sindh Colony qualifies from West Pune, with a couple of "baug" colonies thrown in. Sorry to say, but all other places mentioned in this thread are distant runners in the race. Some of the older areas mentioned like Kothrud can be considered as options because of their developed infrastructure and proximity to public places, but places like Baner or Talegaon are not even in the race.

Let's take an example. Koregaon Park is about 2-3km. away from the railway station, airport, large hospitals, famous schools/colleges, shopping malls, multiplexes, fancy restaurants and clubs, golf courses, and several IT campuses. Plus, the area is one of the greener parts of Pune, and has a cosmopolitan and mostly upmarket set of people. Compare this to say, Talegaon or Baner, and it doesn't match up to any of the points except for maybe, proximity to IT parks located in the Hinjewadi area.

Case in point: The hyped up areas in and around Hinjewadi are similar in location and lack of infrastructure to areas in Bangalore outskirts like Hosur Road, Sarjapur etc. Despite the sustained hype and proximity to IT companies, the areas never really developed meaningful infrastructure over the last 10 years. A couple of international schools here and there does not qualify for good infrastructure. Incidentally, apartments in that area are going for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of Baner and other outlying areas.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by asliarun

Case in point: The hyped up areas in and around Hinjewadi are similar in location and lack of infrastructure to areas in Bangalore outskirts like Hosur Road, Sarjapur etc. Despite the sustained hype and proximity to IT companies, the areas never really developed meaningful infrastructure over the last 10 years. A couple of international schools here and there does not qualify for good infrastructure. .

Very True.....
    At least Hosur & Sarjapur road have better approach roads compared to Baner, PS, etc.

Originally Posted by asliarun

Incidentally, apartments in that area are going for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of Baner and other outlying areas.

True... Visited couple of properties in Hosur and Banergatta road last weekend. Indeed better options are available than Pune outskirts.
    CommentQuote
  • Nyati County - Kondhwa

I have seen the development and progress of this place, being an NRI and ex mumbaite, I think this place is a happening place with choriantian club, DPS & Bishops school in close proximity. i have taken a Villa there and an enjoying the place and the people.
    Roland
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by drole12
    I have seen the development and progress of this place, being an NRI and ex mumbaite, I think this place is a happening place with choriantian club, DPS & Bishops school in close proximity. i have taken a Villa there and an enjoying the place and the people.
    Roland

Congrats on your new house. Please can anyone tell me more about Nyati County ? in terms of his accesebility to Station, schools etc ? I notice there are some good schemes by Nyati in that locality.
    CommentQuote