Hi Folks,

Here I would like to know which parking slot is better.

Suppose you have three options ground floor , -1 ( level 1) and -2 ( level 2) parking available. Which one should be better??

Are the underground parking better then ground level parking as they would be fully covered ?? just like parked inside a room :):)
Read more
20 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Ground floor will be better primarily becos of safety reasons - Self and for the car
    CommentQuote
  • With experience from our own society I can safely say ground level parking is much better. Off couse it should also be covered i.e. stilt parking.

Reasons,
    1. Easily accessible
    2. No danger of seepage issues. Basement if not constructed properly can have water dripping over your vehicles
    3. Less risk of theft and damage to vehicles. Due to less people or security in the basement, vehicles are more prone to tampering
    4. This is India. No amount of physical security or CCTV's can prevent people from playing mischief. Odds are better if vehicle not in basement
    CommentQuote
  • any car parking which costs less !!!!:D
    CommentQuote
  • Bingo.
    And for that matter open on stilt are cheap and best.
    But people tend to go for basement parking for no good reason.

Also, if you are parked on stilt, you save fuel every time compared to driving from -1 or -2.

Originally Posted by ssk555
    any car parking which costs less !!!!:D
    CommentQuote
  • My take would be ground floor parking for the same reasons mentioned by lazy bone. Add to it, you will save time & energy while travelling to your flat. Eg. If your flat is on 5th floor, from -2, you actually travel 7 floors.

Things would have been different if it would have been ground, +1 ,+2. Personally, I prefer +1,+2 rather than basement parking, ie. -1,-2 etc.

Originally Posted by ssk555
    any car parking which costs less !!!!

you mean open car park ? :D
    CommentQuote
  • Yes definately look for the cost difference.. generally its good to have ground parking ... may be covered or open.

generally open parking is cheaper!!
    CommentQuote
  • Also note new cars have better quality paint and keeping it parked in the open is not going to damage the exterior quickly. My car was in open for 2 yrs and saw the stars always, but no damage to its exterior paint at all.

If budget is a constraint opt for ground floor open parking than -1 and -2. Typically these are fertile places for water accumulation in rains and it is a big no no your car has to stand in water (rubber decays fast in dirty water). Very few societies have proper drainage channels, and even those who have it for the first few years may find them choked after a few. There is darkness and security issue to consider as well.

Good luck. Your car can take a lot more abuse than your wallet can! :-)

--
    pl. excuse brevity & possible typos - sent from a tiny device.
    CommentQuote
  • Thank you all for your suggestions!!
    Basement parking definitely saves the car from dust and pollution. However as mentioned if there is leakage problem then its a big issue.

Open parking I would not suggest as though it comes cheap but its meant for years and rain and sun will definitely have a toll on your vehicle
    CommentQuote
  • @rahul40: No builders charges for car parking "legally" in papers :)

In papers, car parking is allotted on rent of 1Rs per month or something similar is used in agreement clause..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by rahul40
    i want all flat buyer to start a movement to argument with their builder to remove car parking charge , and it should be free as parking is part of common area as per SC judgment dt 31.08.2010

even if you see the haryana flat ownership act 1983, that act act same thing, and parking come under common area, builder cant charge money for parking,, whether it is stilt.. open or basement,,, unless he provide a garage... and in SC judgment garage is defined as a lockable room with three side wall and one side lockable gate.. and builder also have to do sale deed in favour of buyer.. just like he sale deed of flat,,
    mere "right of use" of parking is not entitle builder to charge parking charge,,

Who says builders charge for parking? At least I havent seen any agreement which mentions parking charges
    It's always an all inclusive deal. lena hai to lo, warna aage badho, peeche mine mein bahut bakre hain :D
    CommentQuote
  • I wanted to share my observation and learning's. If your scoiety does not have good open/play space (which generally is the case) then ground floor may not be a very good idea. This is because kids tend to play, cycle, run etc in the ground floor. During rainy season even if u have open spaces kids still paly in the ground floor in whatever space available.So chances of your car getting scratch is very high.

Also in general all maids and services guys ike gas cylinder, kirana etc generally takes lift from ground floor. So depending on where is the location of your parking this is something that you may want to consider.

Cheers,
    Birendra.
    CommentQuote
    I don't know whether you booked flat or not.. but every builder is charging parking amount separate. like.. PLC// EDC/IDC, club, parking. IFMS.

They are charging but in the contract they do not mention the charges under the parking heading. They mention under the headings like club house charges, development charges etc...
    CommentQuote
    i want all flat buyer to start a movement to argument with their builder to remove car parking charge , and it should be free as parking is part of common area as per SC judgment dt 31.08.2010

even if you see the haryana flat ownership act 1983, that act act same thing, and parking come under common area, builder cant charge money for parking,, whether it is stilt.. open or basement,,, unless he provide a garage... and in SC judgment garage is defined as a lockable room with three side wall and one side lockable gate.. and builder also have to do sale deed in favour of buyer.. just like he sale deed of flat,,
    mere "right of use" of parking is not entitle builder to charge parking charge,,

If home buyers would have been united then overall prices wouldn't have shot so much.
    CommentQuote
    I don't know whether you booked flat or not.. but every builder is charging parking amount separate. like.. PLC// EDC/IDC, club, parking. IFMS.

answer=>
    Originally Posted by birendra
    They are charging but in the contract they do not mention the charges under the parking heading. They mention under the headings like club house charges, development charges etc...

also, never spend more on stilt car parking if you plan to rent out your house after some years. normally difference between open and stilt car park is three times..
    CommentQuote
  • If your basement is not leaking than go for -1 parking.

Mischief can happen anywhere be it basement or stilt.
    CommentQuote