Guys after reading some of the posts here and looking at the RE situation in Pune and Mumbai (I am originally from Mumbai), I feel that one of the ways of getting a reasonably well made and affordable house is to build one for self.

The re prices of flats might not come down atleast within the next 6 months and that too would happen if there is a slight recession in the country. Thus developing one's own home by purchasing a plot and developing it seems to be one of the ways of getting a dwelling place of one's own.

I would like some of your suggestions here on this topic on the lines of affordable plots, clean and hazard free (no robbery, gundagardi) surroundings and proper civic amenities like water and electricity supply.

I know of a few people in my company as well as others where people have formed groups and purchased land plots and developed it for their own dwelling. I believe more such projects should be done. IF not row houses then multi-storey building to reduce the construction and ownership costs.

Your suggestions are welcome here.
Read more
72 Replies
Sort by :Filter by :
  • Good idea sreymail and in fact I too had given it a long and hard thought .By no means I intend to nitpick/discourage you but here are some take-aways from my observation which may help you plan better .

1)The gargantuan bureaucracy we have in India whose only job is to scuttle any new ideas/endeavours is as much a part of builder lobby as builders/politicians :bab (45):.So if we plan to develop our own plot scheme with row houses/bungalows-considerable amount of time,money and effort will have to be set aside to get and keep things moving for all the necessary approvals,water & electricity connections .

2)Managing the workers,supervisors and raw material suppliers will need some dedicated folks who not only oversee the quality and speed of construction but also keep at tight leash on pilferage and any kind of malpractice by these people .Believe me,it is a fulltime job for at least a couple of guys if construction involves more than a couple of houses. :(

3)Need experts in structurals,electricals,architecture and plumbing to get the job done.The trick is again to keep the expenditure down yet get the best out of them-which again requires some prior experience in building industry.

Having said that-there are several instances where people get the construction done on their own but most of such buildings are either stand-alone (not a part of community construction) .And from what I know through some acquintances who have got it done-if you add the effort spent in getting it done was worth while and rewarding .:D
    CommentQuote
  • The main issue according to you seems to be constant monitoring of the construction work. I had similar views but one of my friend's dad who is a civil engineer and involved in many govt. construction project (thus having plenty experience in this field) suggested that we could always hire a good contractor and appoint a architect to oversee the work. Apart from that for the legal hassle he suggested to go for lawyer who could cross verify the authenticity of the plot deal.
    He suggested that I could look out for plots in areas like Shivaji nagar, Aundh, Viman Nagar. Any pointers here?
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by sreymail
    The main issue according to you seems to be constant monitoring of the construction work. I had similar views but one of my friend's dad who is a civil engineer and involved in many govt. construction project (thus having plenty experience in this field) suggested that we could always hire a good contractor and appoint a architect to oversee the work. Apart from that for the legal hassle he suggested to go for lawyer who could cross verify the authenticity of the plot deal.
    He suggested that I could look out for plots in areas like Shivaji nagar, Aundh, Viman Nagar. Any pointers here?

Good to know that you have an acquaintance who is vastly experienced in this field.But the moot point remains as to who will monitor the contractor/architect.
    Again -this is not to say that it cannot be done-all I advise you is to make sure you have your own group people/yourself available to keep a tab on the construction pace and quality before you take the plunge.

As for plots in the areas you mentioned-sorry,I'm not aware of any .

Please keep this thread updated if you finalize on plot/plans .Would like to be a part of the group if location and budget suit me .
    CommentQuote
  • Hi Guys,

I am also interested in this , please keep me posted
    CommentQuote
  • I don't think there are plots available in Shivaji Nagar and Aundh as these places are already saturated. Viman Nagar...you may find some. By the way, what is your budget for the plot?
    CommentQuote
  • This is what I agreed right from day 1 :-

Buying a plot & building on your own, hell with builders.:)
    You can build a nice bungalow at the price of 3BR flat in good area.
    Eg. rather than buying a flat in project like Palladium, Kothrud, buy a plot & build on your own. Even societies like Mahatma soc allow twin bungalows, which finally works out to be cheaper than flats of equal carpet area.

The only place where I got stuck was cash which was asked for atleast 50% of total land cost. :( If I had that much of cash, I would have already completed 1 year of stay in that house.

And yes, buying plot & building on own is not that difficult as it is thought to be made of. There are several architects & lawyers, who will charge some premium & get all sanctions in place. With some premium, you get 3 phase meter installed from MSEDCL in less than 2 weeks.

Don't give up on this idea man, if it sees the light of the day, it will be one the best things to happen in your life.

Even small sparrows build their own nest :), we are still humans. Think.
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by realacres
    This is what I agreed right from day 1 :-

Buying a plot & building on your own, hell with builders.:)
    You can build a nice bungalow at the price of 3BR flat in good area.

The only place where I got stuck was cash which was asked for atleast 50% of total land cost. :( If I had that much of cash, I would have already completed 1 year of stay in that house.

Even small sparrows build their own nest :), we are still humans. Think.

Such an inspiring quote RealAcres! Really it is one thing which is very much achievable. Some time we get so bogged down by the hardships on the way that we simply avoid taking first step. Surely there will be some extra things to do, but then there is this beautiful thing called 'Outsourcing'. There are professionals to do the job and that too with quality. Any builder never build an apartment on his own. They will also hire contractors, architects to complete the projects.

Regarding arranging the big stack of cash for such project, a pool of equal minded people can always pitch in. Group buying is a reality, though it also has its own challenges. But still its an viable option. One just need to give a shout and there will be hundreds of people thronging to join the bandwagon. There will be some management stuff to do, but the end result will be much more than what you can get with traditional route (via Builders). Believing in yourself always yields handsomely!

Keep defying the set norms... there is always a better way for everything!

Cheers!
    CommentQuote
  • agreed.. I have been looking for plots in Pimpri Chinchwad are for last 4 months and it has not been easy..
    When I like the plot, it big and could not afford.. and when I found a small plot then the area is not good.

But if there are 4-5 people interested to get a bigger plot, let me know..
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by search4plot
    agreed.. I have been looking for plots in Pimpri Chinchwad are for last 4 months and it has not been easy..
    When I like the plot, it big and could not afford.. and when I found a small plot then the area is not good.

But if there are 4-5 people interested to get a bigger plot, let me know..

i am in for this, let me know in which pcmc area's you have seen the plots...
    CommentQuote
  • The idea is to have a group of few people who are seriously interested in building a home of their own and share experiences with each other on that.

As per the cash part mentioned by realacres goes what I have come to know is that banks do finance such pvt projects the same way they finance a flat.
    Suppose each person in a group of 5 people have a sanction limit of 25lakhs then in all 1.25 cr could be sanctioned by the bank on an operating account from which the expenditure for plot purchase, building work and other expenses could be got.

These things could be done but the idea first is to share each others useful info to get something good and concrete rolling.

I had just a discussion with my friend's dad on this once that too on phone. Once I meet him and get something concrete I'll be updating this thread as and when I have some more info about.
    CommentQuote
  • I have seen plots in 18000sqft in akurdi pradhikaran near DY patil college and 16000sqft in Wakad

Also there is a 4500sqft plot in Indrayani Nagar Pradhikaran. Sector 9.
    CommentQuote
    I have seen plots in 18000sqft in akurdi pradhikaran near DY patil college and 16000sqft in Wakad

Also there is a 4500sqft plot in Indrayani Nagar Pradhikaran. Sector 9.

What are costs of these plots?
    CommentQuote
  • Akurdi 2300sqft, Wakad 2000/sqft, Ravet 1500/sqft
    CommentQuote
    Akurdi 2300sqft, Wakad 2000/sqft, Ravet 1500/sqft

:bab (59): whoa! thats huge! are you telling me cost of a land or construction cost included
    CommentQuote
  • Originally Posted by puser
    :bab (59): whoa! thats huge! are you telling me cost of a land or construction cost included

1500, 2000 is costly? are you joking i think it is too cheap in the city like pune..

cost of construction is 1000 per sq feet and if and if you add with land cost one duplex flat of 3bhk comes around 40 to 55 lakhs which is still very cheap as compared to builder flats with 40% loading, i am including cost of common area like roads etc.

in far flung areas of noida , gnoida, ggn, land rates are 5 to 9 thousand .
    CommentQuote